Create Account

O’Rourke Post Draft

<center> Ready to Grade

<div align="center">Chiefs Chiefs Chiefs Chiefs

With the 7th overall pick, the Chiefs are proud to select...

From the Halifax Raiders, Lochlann O'Rourke!!!!
</div>

[Image: 172012551_slide.jpg]</center>

Lochlann O’Rourke from Galway, Ireland sits on the podium surrounded by his family and agent. Wearing a bright, new, Minnesota Chiefs Jersey with the number 33 on the back and a smile beaming from ear to ear, he’s ready to talk to the media for the first time as a member of the Minnesota Chiefs.

“Tonight, was an exciting night for me. It’s another step in realizing a dream that I’ve had for many, many years, which is to play in the SHL. Minnesota saw something in me to take me at the 7th overall selection and I have no intentions of letting them down. Already tonight, I’ve gotten a handful of texts and calls from current members of the team expressing their excitement which means a lot. I want to also take a moment and thank the Halifax Raiders for developing me last season to even put me on any team’s draft radar. Without them, I surely wouldn’t be where I am today. I’ll open the floor to any questions you may have.”

Interview Can you walk use through the 1st round, pick by pick until the Chiefs selected you?

“Sure, I can do that.

Me and my family arrived early to the draft and took our seats about an hour before. I had friends back home listening to the draft livestream and texting me what experts were saying about myself and the other prospects. Somewhat surprising is the amount of negatively I was shown but I guess that is something I’ll need to get use to if I want to play in the SHL.

I spoke with most GM’s over the course of a few days and even had a quick chat with a few of them right up prior to the start of the Draft. With Portland on the clock I figured they would be going with Kallinpaa, and I mean, who wouldn’t? I played against him last year and he is very hard to play against. You can see the potential he has and any team would be foolish to pass on him. However, I had slight hope that Portland would take myself as they needed a winger. Although you should never draft based on need this early in the draft, it’s a thought that creeps into the back of your head. When they made their selection, I understood they went with the best available player and I commend them for that.

Toronto was technically up next but their pick was forfeited early in the season. I had a small thought and wondered how angry people would have been if their pick was the 1st overall selection. Thank god it wasn’t.

Buffalo had the number 3 and 4 picks and I knew there was a strong chance I could go to them. I had, in what I thought, excellent conversations leading up to the draft and also the moment before. They walked up to the microphone and selected Vorkampfer, who again may be slightly better prospect then myself and I was fully expecting them to use their first selection on him. Speaking of Vorkampfer, he was a player I didn’t know much about until the last week or so before the draft. I knew he was a tough guy to play against, but I didn’t dive to much onto the personal side with him. With all these events the SHL has for the prospects he’s a player I really have come to like and would love to share a jersey with him one day.

Buffalo had their second selection ready to announce and I was ready to jump out of my seat and run down to grab a Stampede jersey. Especially after they took Vorkampfer. However, that is when they started speaking “From the Vancouver Whalers”, and my heart sank. Tommy Salami was the newest member of Buffalo, and don’t get me wrong as I like Salamni as well, but I felt I might be further along than him. Heading into the draft, I thought I was going to end up in Buffalo but I did prepare myself just in case I didn’t as I heard a lot of names floating around.

Up next were the Winnipeg Jets, who I thought I connected to even more so then Buffalo. During our conversations, they took a tone from an interview to a friendly beer drinking chat with an old-time friend. In my mind, I thought I wouldn’t fall any further then 5th and I would become a Jet if nothing else on draft day. I think I was even out of my seat and walking down the aisle this time before they spoke. Something still didn’t feel right, and I soon realized they had just called Cormier-Hale’s name. I was stunned, and froze for a second before turning and headed back to my seat. Just like the pick before, I felt I was further along than Cormier-Hale, however maybe the GM’s didn’t see it that way. After all, I didn’t really like playing against him too much this past season, and for good reasons, he’s a solid defender.

After that I don’t even think I heard Portland make their next pick of Teemu Sirius. It didn’t matter though as immediately after Minnesota seemingly sprinted up the stage and announced my name. Although I might have been in a funk the previous two picks, that quickly melted away as I headed to the stage and slipped on the Chiefs jersey for the first time. In my head, I started going through their roster, Flacko, Iqbal, Nova, Andersson, and Glover. With every name, I started to get more and more excited. Maybe I just lucked out by falling?

Anyways, after that until now has been a blur. So many pictures, media, and signings. I’m glad I have a quick chance to take a break.”

Interview What do you have to say to the GM’s and Team’s that passed on you?

“Well, I don’t have any hard feeling or animosity towards them if that’s what you’re asking. However, I do believe they made a mistake in passing me up, but I’m going to have to go out and prove that now. In 5 seasons, we can re-visit this draft and see if they made the right choice or not. Regardless I’ll still be in Minnesota hopefully winning a Challenge Cup.”

Interview There’s been a lot of speculation that you’re potentially a bust. Care to explain?

“Not really to be honest with you. People can say whatever they please and back it up with however they please. Short story is that there were some rumors about the same topic when I was taken in the SMJHL draft and you saw how that played out. SMJHL All-Star and the Rookie Scoring Race Champion. Even if I don’t go back to Juniors next season that’s far from being a bust.

But like I stated before, that is history. Now I have to earn my place in the SHL if I want critics to stop or sing a different tune”

Interview Do you know why people are saying that?

“No and I don’t care. Next question.”

Interview Any talks with Minnesota on where you’ll play next season?

“We haven’t really chatted that much. After all they still have a job to do with Free Agency and getting everyone signed to a contract. When Training Camp opens, I’ll have to earn my spot regardless. Depending on how I do will dictate if I start next season in the SHL or SMJHL.”

Interview Do you have a preference?

“Of course, just like every player in this draft I want to play in the SHL. I love my teammates in Halifax and look forward to compete for a Four Star Cup next season, however if I’m not there and playing in Minnesota, they’ll understand. After all, you can’t be mad at a player who doesn’t want to be held back.

Interview Any thoughts on who the Chiefs selected later on in the draft?

"I think we’ve done really well to be honest with you. We picked up Eero Hamalainen who is an absolute steal at 10th overall. He impressed me this past season playing the Whalers and I’m really looking forward to sharing a locker room and a spot on the ice with him. A pick that will for sure be a huge part of Minnesota’s core moving forward as early as even next season.

Halfdan Thorstein was a solid pick in the second round. Maybe not as ready or high profile as myself or Hamalainen but he’s the type of player that can push you to be better. I’m happy we got him. Another steal a little later on has to be Starkonov. Man, can that kid fly. I’m hoping he stays on the path he’s currently on with his development as I would have no problem being his line mate. After him, we picked up Crawford and Wexter who I don’t know too much about. However, judging the reaction for everyone else I feel like they could become solid contributors if they put their mind to it."

Interview Who are you most excited to play with on the Chiefs?

"I’m pretty pumped that I’ll be receiving breakout passes from Garbanzo one day. He’s nothing short of a Legend to me, watching him play as I grew up. I still think he has more than a few good seasons left in him and I’m hoping we can develop and preform as a team to get him a Challenge Cup."

Interview For the fans, out there, what do you bring the Chiefs Locker Room?

"I believe I bring a little bit of everything. I’m obviously fairly explosive offensively and most of my game is built around being a threat from anywhere on the ice in any situation. I’m a smooth and powerful skater and I can handle the puck fairly well, especially in traffic.

More recently I’ve been putting work into my defensive game as I want to get on the ice during any situation while not being a liability. My strength and conditioning are perfect for Juniors however it will be something I’ll need to work on if I want to make and stay in the SHL.

In terms of my Hockey IQ, I feel like I see the game well and always find a way to get myself or the puck to open ice. I support my teammates well and always give them another option. I’m excited to see what I’ll learn in Minnesota from the coach and I’m positive I’ll be able to pick it up quickly.

Off the Ice I feel like I’m a good guy. Very level headed that doesn’t get a lot of things get to me and also a team first type of guy. Sometimes you just have to stick beside your teammate or organization even though you may not want to. It’s how you build trust and how you build a winning foundation."

Interview What are your thoughts on Minnesota's locker room, which seems to have a bit of a negative reputation around the league?

"I don't pay too much attention to it right now. I've had a great experience with everyone reaching out and everyone sounds so pumped that I find it hard to believe. When I start sharing the Locker Room I'll be the judge if anything is true but with 90% of rumors, it's probably nothing."

Interview If you do end up moving on to the SHL, what do you expect in terms of individual performance?

"That's a tough question to answer. I haven't shared the ice with anyone in the SHL and I know the game will be a lot faster and tougher. If I do make it out of training camp it'll depend on my role and what's expected. If I'm a Top Six guy, I'm going to have Top Six expectations. Same goes if I'm riding the bench and averaging three minutes per game.

Regardless I'll be pushing myself to be the best and I'll have my eye on the other rookies in the league. Not a chance I'll let them pass me."

Interview How long do you think it will take for the Chiefs to return to the playoffs?

"I haven't followed to much of the SHL to know who's contending and who's not right not. However if I'm on the team the mindset is that we're making the playoffs. Anything less isn't good enough for the team or the fans."

Interview Why do you think you fell in the draft?

"I'll leave that question to the GMs that passed on me. It could be as simple as they thought everyone else was better or it could be a little complicated if they thought they found a red flag. Whatever it was, it was justified in their actions of passing. I'm happy being part of the Minnesota organization and that is all the really matters. Draft position doesn't put points or Championships besides your name "

Interview Where do yourself playing next season, juniors or SHL?

"I believe I'll be playing in the SHL as long as I stay focused this summer and come into training camp with the belief that if I preform, I'll be enjoying my winters in Minnesota. Whether that happens remains the be seen but I believe I can make the jump right away."

Interview Nova was reported saying "O'Rourke belongs in the SHL after seeing the way he can handle the puck on a string with speed in our scrimmage sessions. Chiefs would be gaining a big asset to there young core and their future" this morning by reporters, how do you feel about this statement?

"Pretty high praise from a player I think highly off. He's a player that I'll eventually be teammates with, if not this season, and I like that he already has shown some faith and trust in me."

Interview What are you planning to improve over the course this season the most?

"Everything, which is the honest answer. I need to improve in all areas. Immediately? I'll probably be working on my strength and conditioning to get that up the SHL standards, as well as my defense and my passing ability. However puck handling, skating, and my offensive abilities won't take a back seat. It's the player I am and I'll be working on those just as much."

Interview How do you feel about playing with Caelum and one of the best ever defenders in Garbanzo?

"I'm pretty pumped to eventually play with both of them. Caelum reached out over text and seems like a really cool guy. Like mentioned before, what else is there to say about Garbanzo? He's a walking Legend that I'll be sure to learn as much as I can from him. I can already picture the passes I'll be getting coming off the wall in our own zone. Not only that, but everyone in the league respects him which makes it easier to play with a guy who demands so much On-Ice respect."

Interview Do you think our existing stars will speed up our rebuild?

"With players like Flacko, Andersson, and Garbanzo it will be hard to be a bad team as their the best at their position. With the core coming into Minnesota I think we'll have a great shot a becoming a playoff team led by such experience players. After all, wasn't Flacko named the SHL's top player last season?"

Interview At what point do you expect to be a star?

"Hard hitting question eh? I don't really know and it's not a focus of mine. I want to do great and win a championship. However if I'm not a star at any point during my career then that's fine with me."

Interview How many shots are you ready to block to keep Andersson's GAA up?

"As many as it'll take the get the "W"."

Interview Give me some comments about Minnesotas Cloud Strife using Cross Smash instead of Blade Beam, wouldnt the latter be the obvious choice seeing how It damages more people?

"I'm sorry, what?"

Interview Have you ever been to Minnesota?

"No I haven't. Growing up in Ireland it was kinda tough and are only trip to North America was mainly to Canada. With the SMJHL mainly being in Canada as well, we never did travel through Minnesota. However from what I hear it's the closest thing you can get to being in Canada while still being in the USA.

I'm excited to arrive and check everything out. Including the team's facilities."

Interview What are you hoping for in your first contract?

"I'll leave that up for my agent. The only thing I want for sure is a No Movement Clause. I already have a ton of respect for the Chiefs and I'm excited to start my career here and also stay. I believe having a clause like that is a statement to the league that Minnesota is an attractive destination."

Interview Was there another team you would have preferred to go to?

"Like mentioned in interviews leading up to the draft, I only wanted to go to teams that wanted me. Minnesota had that belief and I was welcomed immediately. In my mind, the Chiefs were the only team I wanted to go to."

Interview Have you spoken with Halifax about making the jump to the SHL?

"A little bit. I basically told them if I can make it, I want to make the jump which I think is something every prospect would want. However Halifax is a smart club and one of the best ran teams in Juniors. They're prepared to have me back and their also prepared if I stick in Minnesota. Whatever the outcome, they'll be a dominant team and always a team to watch as Four Star Cup favorites."

Interview Any other teams that impressed you with their draft?

"After I was picked I didn't follow the draft to closely other then where a few friends ended up. I think Seattle got a steal with their first round selection and I also think Toronto did a good job with all of their second round picks. Other then that, I just made sure to see who Minnesota selected and where my Raiders teammates ended up. Hopefully that answers your question."

<center>That will wrap up this Press Conference. Please contact the Minnesota Chiefs or Lochlann O'Rourke's agent if you have any more questions. Thank you.</center>

Code:
Words: 3167
Floor is open to Keyfabe questions

@Carpy48, @sulovilen, and @Ragnar are signature gods
[Image: MaverickLegend.gif]

[Image: U66t7Jy.png] [Image: zyyvIFD.png]
Dragonite

What are your thoughts on Minnesota's locker room, which seems to have a bit of a negative reputation around the league?

If you do end up moving on to the SHL, what do you expect in terms of individual performance?

How long do you think it will take for the Chiefs to return to the playoffs?

Why do you think you fell in the draft?

[Image: Marius_buffalo.png]

08-24-2018, 01:08 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: Ah yes, the veteran meme player. A surefire bet for maybe 400 TPE Tongue
05-23-2020, 02:25 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: Scoop AINEC
[Image: Skree.gif] [Image: Skree.gif] [Image: Skree.gif]

[Image: Poppity.png]
^^^^^ Thank you JSSSSS
[Image: Poopity_Scoop_1.png]
^^^^Credits to Snussu^^^^

[Image: Scoop.png]

Where do yourself playing next season, juniors or SHL?

Nova was reported saying "O'ROURKE belongs in the SHL after seeing the way he can handle the puck on a string with speed in our scrimmage sessions. Cheifs would be gaining a big asset to there young core and their future" this morning by reporters, how do you feel about this statement?

What are you planning to improve over the course this season the most?

Doubt is a dream killer

Quote:Originally posted by Baelor Swift+Feb 1 2017, 12:48 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1' id='QUOTE-WRAP'><tr><td>QUOTE (Baelor Swift @ Feb 1 2017, 12:48 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->What are your thoughts on Minnesota's locker room, which seems to have a bit of a negative reputation around the league?

If you do end up moving on to the SHL, what do you expect in terms of individual performance?

How long do you think it will take for the Chiefs to return to the playoffs?

Why do you think you fell in the draft?[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-sarmo@Feb 1 2017, 01:22 PM
Where do yourself playing next season, juniors or SHL?

Nova was reported saying "O'ROURKE belongs in the SHL after seeing the way he can handle the puck on a string with speed in our scrimmage sessions. Cheifs would be gaining a big asset to there young core and their future" this morning by reporters, how do you feel about this statement?

What are you planning to improve over the course this season the most?
[/quote]

Updated

Dragonite

How do you feel about playing Caelum and one of the best ever defenders in Garbanzo?

Do you think our existing stars will speed up our rebuild?

At what point do you expect to be a star?

(Sorry if any of these questions are repetitive)

[Image: andyj18.gif]

[Image: andybj18.gif]

[Image: pawter_meowski.png]

How many shots are you ready to block to keep swegs GAA up?

Give me some comments about Minnesotas Cloud Strife using Cross Smash instead of Blade Beam, wouldnt the latter be the obvious choice seeing how It damages more people?

[Image: 41373_s.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: 7WSfxIG.png][Image: nBgNUTY.png]

Quote:Originally posted by Andybj+Feb 1 2017, 01:32 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1' id='QUOTE-WRAP'><tr><td>QUOTE (Andybj @ Feb 1 2017, 01:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->How do you feel about playing Caelum and one of the best ever defenders in Garbanzo?

Do you think our existing stars will speed up our rebuild?

At what point do you expect to be a star?

(Sorry if any of these questions are repetitive)[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-SwegKingu@Feb 1 2017, 01:39 PM
How many shots are you ready to block to keep swegs GAA up?

Give me some comments about Minnesotas Cloud Strife using Cross Smash instead of Blade Beam, wouldnt the latter be the obvious choice seeing how It damages more people?
[/quote]

Updated

Dragonite