Create Account

Marek Vyskoc to retire from hockey completely Press Conference Included

For the first time since he was appointed General Manager of the Prince George Firebirds, Marek Vyskoc takes to the podium, and, as the stunned press look on, speaks in perfect English and without an accent.

My pleasure of managing has waned, as it must with all at some point.

After a short, exciting, and very bountiful in experiences and pleasures tenure as general manager of the Prince George Firebirds I have decided that there are others who can give more energy and time to the franchise than I can and feel the pleasures I did, such as the thrill of making it to a game seven in the Four Star Cup finals as the last seed after sweeping the best team in the regular season. Such as drafting incredible people and watching them grow into people who are revered and held dear by the community, or be a part of their story if they're already established.

While not everyone will get a blurb, there are some people who deserve to be recognized for their role in this journey.

First and foremost, there is MacPherson (<a href='index.php?showuser=14' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>Mac</a> ) for just handing over the job and giving my my baptism of fire by going through a twelve round draft late on a school night with no first- or second-round picks. :lol:

But I made it work didn't I?

Some god must've been looking over me as Eduard Selich (a former candidate for my job and a constant aid and technical second co-gm) (<a href='index.php?showuser=2285' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-13'>Tomen</a> ) fell to the third round. I'm extremely blessed to have had that happen.

It didn't stop there.

In the fourth round, I found Ben Waters (<a href='index.php?showuser=2267' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>Waters</a> ) and what an addition he'd be.Who cares what he did on the ice when his locker room personality was outstanding, but to get both a quality player and a kind-hearted one? That's special.

But that can be said about more than a few players under my tenure. A player's skill or lack thereof influenced my opinion a grand total of one time, that meaning I hunted down the greatest people I could find, not the best hockey players. My pre-draft interview was often all I needed to rank a player.

In the fourth we found a great character but someone who has unfortunately drifted away from hockey in Johnny Pollak (<a href='index.php?showuser=2256' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>AtomikMK</a> ). He will be missed.

But, again, everything fell into place, as I contacted and found the best co-gm and friend I could find in David Winter (@RomanesEuntDominus ). I don't think I ever said it, but thank you.

Oh, and Casper Jakobsson (<a href='index.php?showuser=2147' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-34'>lizzywho</a> ), just so you now, that trade still haunts me.

The next draft I was able to get my #1 and #2 choices after a daring trade and a last minute draft entry that aligned the stars. Those are Teodors Cukurs (<a href='index.php?showuser=2364' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-14'>iOBESE</a> ) and Noctis Caelum (<a href='index.php?showuser=1242' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-59'>Andybj</a> ). Not to mention legendary (at the time) free agency pick-ups in Kristy O'Sullivan (<a href='index.php?showuser=2427' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>Kristy95</a> ) and Jean Girard (<a href='index.php?showuser=521' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>deknegt</a> )

The next season featured Teemu Sirius (<a href='index.php?showuser=537' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-8'>Schultzy</a> ), Caelan Fearghal (<a href='index.php?showuser=2485' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-59'>Sorator</a> ), Isaac Cormier-Hale (<a href='index.php?showuser=1017' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>Jogurtaa</a> ), Noah Stevenson (<a href='index.php?showuser=2090' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>Carson</a> ), Smirnov Light Jr. (<a href='index.php?showuser=530' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>Smirnov Light</a> ), an amazing steal in Chris York (<a href='index.php?showuser=2458' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-17'>Symmetrik</a> ) and Taemin Gede (<a href='index.php?showuser=2506' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>overworm</a> ). All incredible people.

And the next season had another trade that saw us pick up just who we wanted, which included: Xander Green (<a href='index.php?showuser=512' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-54'>Green</a> ) , Dani Forsberg (<a href='index.php?showuser=2535' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>Insayne</a> ) and Nick Dupuis (<a href='index.php?showuser=2387' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>Dupuis</a> ).

Frederick Boone (<a href='index.php?showuser=2333' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-17'>ccarico</a> ), Sven Wolf (@however the fuck you spell bananacock ), all had their parts in my story as well.

I also have many people to give delayed thanks to during my playing career: Some great guys from Vancouver: Thomas King (@King ?), my best friend for the longest time Liam Kinsler (<a href='index.php?showuser=1077' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>Kinsler</a> ), the greatest captain I've ever had: Kaspars Tsizling(sp?) (<a href='index.php?showuser=177' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>Ace</a> ) & my teammate for eight seasons: Dean Colt (<a href='index.php?showuser=14' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>Mac</a> ).

That being said, I will not be stepping down immediately. Instead I will remain as a mostly ceremonial General Manager as we take Winter's replacement under our wing and until he is comfortable, General Manager Applications and my official retirement will be on hold.

Without further ado, the new co-gm for the Prince George Firebirds is . . .

<div align="center">Chris York</div>

Extremely happy that he was interested in the job. I wish him a successful tenure and hope he enjoys the SMJHL as much as I did.

While I'm up here I may as well take out two birds with one stone, so to speak.

I will also be stepping down the office I've held for over a decade as Co-Head of the Czechoslovakian Ice Hockey Federation. Although I was one of the two heads who first managed the team and a "founding father", if you will, of the IIHF, I believe there are those who can offer more and new energy to the Czech head office. I've put my blood, sweat, and tears into that team and while we never won gold, I'm mighty proud of my two silvers from managing and one from playing.

Applications will be held by by companion and shoulder to lean on Aviad Ratzon (<a href='index.php?showuser=1242' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-59'>Andybj</a> ) when he is ready to do so.

These will not be my last jobs in hockey, but they will be my last with direct influence. I wish to referee games in the near future, and my dream is to be involved in the administration of the IIHF or SMJHL, so we will see.

With that I retire just short of all my goals.

Just short of being a decent player.
Just short of being relevant outside of the SMJHL.
Just short of joining the triple gold club.
Just short of winning IIHF gold.
Just short of winning the Four Star Cup in Prince George.

This wasn't intended to be a press conference, but if anyone wants to ask a question, shoot.

Code:
961 Words

MWHazard Wrote:i'll playwith anyone
playing with my teammates is part of the intangibles I bring to the table
i play with them a lot.
they didn't like it at first
but after a while, it just felt normal
Justice,Sep 18 2016, 02:09 PM Wrote:4-0 and 0-4 aren't that different tbh
McJesus - Today at 10:38 PM Wrote:FIRE EGGY
HIRE ARTY
[Image: xuHy0EF.png]
[Image: Artermis.gif]

artermis - You've been an awesome GM, and I'm sad to see you go. I definitely hope you'll be sticking around in some capacity, or at least coming back through now and then to say hi. *stifles tears*

I am super excited to see what <a href='index.php?showuser=2458' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-17'>Symmetrik</a> can do with the team, though; he's an excellent choice, and I'm weirdly proud to see one of my fellow rookies taking such a role. Looking forward to this season with you, dude!

EHHHH Great choice in <a href='index.php?showuser=2458' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-17'>Symmetrik</a> !!!!

[Image: QhAQn2i.png]  [Image: yIvjn4j.png]

Quote:Originally posted by Sorator@Apr 3 2017, 06:15 PM
artermis - You've been an awesome GM, and I'm sad to see you go. I definitely hope you'll be sticking around in some capacity, or at least coming back through now and then to say hi. *stifles tears*

Oh I will definitely stick around in the SHL and the PGF discord, I just decided that I was no longer what was best for the team. It's been great getting to know you Cheers

i play with them a lot.
HIRE ARTY

Ain't nobody taking away B2B cups B)

Quote:Originally posted by Kinsler@Apr 3 2017, 06:36 PM
Ain't nobody taking away B2B cups B)
Or, in your case, B2B2B2B cups :unsure:

i play with them a lot.
HIRE ARTY

Thanks <a href='index.php?showuser=1119' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-10'>artermis</a> for the opportunity. I'm sorry to see RED and you both stepping down, and hopefully we can end the cup drought before you leave.

To everyone thanks for the kind words. I hope I can do a good job here and we can bring a cup back to Prince George.

[Image: symmetrik.gif]

Prince George Firebirds GM (S34-S36)
Toronto North Stars GM (S37-S43)
[Image: XtyrY3M.png]

<a href='index.php?showuser=1119' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-10'>artermis</a> it was great to be part of your journey that also became mine at the same time and I tried to get us that freaking trophy...maybe in another life, but nevertheless you did a good job of gm'ing the team and definitely drafting the best players in this community and maybe the quality of your drafting skills were the reasons that we never got the cup as the big teams always pulled the feathers out of PGF so quick!

Knights - Player Page - Update Page - Knights

[Image: 47963_s.gif]

Quote:Originally posted by iOBESE@Apr 3 2017, 07:36 PM
<a href='index.php?showuser=1119' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-10'>artermis</a> it was great to be part of your journey that also became mine at the same time and I tried to get us that freaking trophy...maybe in another life, but nevertheless you did a good job of gm'ing the team and definitely drafting the best players in this community and maybe the quality of your drafting skills were the reasons that we never got the cup as the big teams always pulled the feathers out of PGF so quick!
Thanks for the kind words Cheers

i play with them a lot.
HIRE ARTY

😭

[Image: insayne.gif]

Alright, let's hope for an all PEI GM final as your send-off Wink

Argonauts Stars Battleborn Czechia

<a href='index.php?showuser=2458' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-10'>Symmetrik</a> congrats man! Hope to might you in the final

Very well written!

RIP to my boy

PLAYER | UPDATE
[Image: BBr47PN.png]

[Image: m9F8nRF.png]

You are awesome, sad to see you leave Undecided

[Image: 32882_s.gif]

Oliver Pettyfer / Isaac Cormier Hale / Eva Lykke Aparjode