Create Account

Some Points for New First Generation Players!

I’ve been meaning to write this article for awhile now, as I truly believe it’s an article worth reading for every first generation player. Considering today is the day for the upcoming SMJHL Draft, I feel no better moment than now to post this little piece of mine. This article is going to offer some suggestions for the new crop of first generation players, and a lot of this will be based off my experiences as a first-generation player and what I’ve learned since then.

Just to offer a basic backstory to my first season on the site, I entered the SHL with a rocket up my ass, in the sense that I was pumping out articles (and by articles I mean incredibly long and researched ones) everyday; sometimes I wrote even two articles a day. My bank account and name recognition grew greatly, to the point where I was drafted 1st overall in the S24 SMJHL Draft by the St. Louis Scarecrows. I maintained a similar level of activity all the way towards my time as a member of the Buffalo Stampede (who drafted me 3rd overall in the S35 SHL Draft). It wasn’t until after my accident that put me out of activity for over a year that I came back to the site (when I finally felt I could physically and emotionally stay long-term) that I started writing on a more casual basis, and I haven’t enjoyed the site more than any previous time as a member of the league. With this basic backstory being told, I’d like to now share some tidbits of advice that I think will be helpful during your time here and making sure and most importantly, that you’re having as fun of a time as possible!

1: Make sure you write articles but not to the point you’re burning out your creativity and motivation.

I personally never suffered from this scenario but I recall plenty of other members who have written a ton of articles in a few months time and burned out, some to the point where they simply went inactive. Writing articles is fun, and it’s also a great way to both make a great deal of money to improve your player and allow your name to become more recognized. However, writing too often risks what I mentioned earlier, and it would be a crime to see the long-term potential and creativity of a first generation player become depleted due to a writing pace that cannot be maintained. I now write maybe a few articles ever month or two at most, but try to make each article count in terms of research and creativity; that is my best advice for writing articles in general, write on a common basis, but not to the point your risking the fun factor for yourself on the SHL.

2: If your locker room isn’t as active as you’d like, try and change it rather than hoping it will change on its own.

Being part of an expansion team for those first few seasons was very lonely in terms of the amount of actives we had on the team and how active the locker room would be in general at certain times. Many times we would go several days without anymore than a few posts being added into the locker room. I was obviously a bit saddened by this even though I expected this, and did my best to try and create a more active atmosphere in the locker room. I didn’t change the culture and activity overnight or tremendously, but I certainly believe the activity in the locker room increased once I made a conscious effort to increase the activity level of the locker room. Morale of this point is that if you ever find a point in time where you feel the activity level of the locker room isn’t at the level you hoped it would be, try and become the catalyst for change; it may very well be your actions that turns things around for your team’s activity.

3. Stay out of the drama, please for the love of God!

Let’s face it, being in the SHL, there is essentially a massive shit-storm every week or so and one cannot help but partake in a thread that is burning down everything. I know and I will openly admit that sometimes I just enjoy watching a shit-storm occur from a distance and consume my bag of salted popcorn. There is nothing wrong with what I do at times, but I would highly advise newer members to not post and become an active participant of a shit-storm if there is no reason to be. Not only can someone’s comment directed towards you start getting you emotional and fighting them back, but it can potentially lead to punishments, as their is precedent for suspensions to be handed down on players for personal attacks on other members. Don’t become the player that has a reputation of being a risk factor on the forums, and minimizing your opportunities in the future for future players and SHL positions you may be interested in.

4: Last but certainly not least, just have fun!

Many members of the SHL at times can get caught up in the pressure and drama of the league, but the most important thing you have to remember is that this is a sim league and the goal is to have as much fun as possible. Everyone has their own way of making sure they are enjoying their time on the site, but as long as your method does not get you, other members, or your team in trouble, I highly advise you to follow your SHL journey the way you believe that will allow you to have the most fun every time you log on to the website. The moment you stop having fun is the moment the league begins to feel like a job rather than a hobby, and that’s why I urge you above all other things to enjoy the memories and experiences you will share in the SHL.

That will conclude the point of this article, even though there are many other points I could address for the first generation players. I simply felt the previously mentioned four points were imperative in terms of making sure you have the most fun and success with your player in the SHL. I wish you all the best of luck during the SMJHL Draft, in the future with your SHL teams, and hope you become great members and players of the league for a very long time.

SMJHL Double Media!!
Word Count: 1,102

[Image: giphy.gif]
[pbhfx]

[/pbhfx]
ShlBattlebornUkShlBattlebornUkShlBattlebornUk
Player Page || Update Page

WiC always so helpful <3

[Image: 6Xj1IWG.png]

Player Page || Update Thread || Signatures

[Image: PoQh1Wx.png] [Image: rmu9FS0.png][Image: VxdFjLy.png][Image: QKcW3J4.png] [Image: RoypPRF.png]

I did not know you can make more that one article ever week of days.

WiC is my favorite tbh

[Image: insayne.gif]

wtf u copied my article idea

jk the more help we can give out to the people who will be the lifeblood of this league in a year or so, the better. Good article.

[Image: ili5NZ2.png]

Player Page
Update Page

Quote:Originally posted by Waters@Apr 6 2017, 06:07 PM
wtf u copied my article idea

jk the more help we can give out to the people who will be the lifeblood of this league in a year or so, the better. Good article.
WHO DA FOOK ARE YOU? Ninja

[Image: giphy.gif]
[pbhfx]

[/pbhfx]
ShlBattlebornUkShlBattlebornUkShlBattlebornUk
Player Page || Update Page

Quote:Originally posted by Winter is Coming@Apr 6 2017, 06:23 PM

WHO DA FOOK ARE YOU?&nbsp; Ninja
http://theshl.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=77795
thief

[Image: ili5NZ2.png]

Player Page