Create Account

The PROShop Interview Series Talking Equipment with the Pros

Code:
Ready for grading - 1600 words

THE PROSHOPâ„¢

HOME >> BLOG

Detroit Falcons superstar Yuriy Starkonov sits down with TPS's team to talk gear

April 12, 2017

Here are The PROshop, we realize that not everyone has the budget for all the elite-tier gear available on the market. And we understand; who wants to pay $300 for a single stick, even if it comes with a limited warranty? Not even the professional teams pay that much per unit. That's why through years of hard work and relationship-building with several minor-pro and pro teams in the SMJHL and SHL, TPS is able to bring you–the retail consumer–pro-tier gear, which often has options not seen even on elite-tier products, at mid-tier prices. But our level of service doesn't end there. We often get the chance to sit down with pro players and talk about the gear that they use get a better idea of the features they like in order to help us better serve you when you ask about specific features in gear that you may have used in the past but cannot find on the market today. Yes, you heard me right, many pros are gear-whores just like you, very particular about the equipment they sport on the ice. This month, we were lucky enough to sit down with Yuriy Starkonov of the Detroit Falcons.

Starkonov is a player that needs no introduction. After having a breakout year as a rookie in the S32 SMJHL finishing second among all rookies in scoring despite being taken late in the draft, Starkonov continues to improve and impress. Last season he had a bit of a slump but picked it up towards the end of the season, and he's off to a fire start now in S34. Once a dark horse, Starkonov promises to be a true offensive powerhouse in the SHL once he gets the call up. And we're not the only ones who've noticed; several equipment brands have also taken a liking to the young Russian winger's flair, and many were chomping at the bit to sign the player to their respective endorsement deals. The big 3 of Warrior, Bauer, and CCM were all vying to have young Starkonov be their Russian poster child, and after a few weeks of silence in the offseason, Bauer Hockey finally announced last week that they were welcoming Yuriy Starkonov to their illustrious player lineup.

We here at TPS immediately reached out to the Falcons organization wanting to sit down with Starkonov to talk about his gear set up he will be wearing for Bauer this season, and we were lucky enough to be granted that opportunity. Below you can find a transcript of our interview with the Russian winger.

TPS: Hello Yuriy, thank you for agreeing to talk to us! Congratulations on your endorsement deal! The internet has been buzzing with excitement ever since the news came out.

Yuriy Starkonov: Thank you, I am very excited to be skating for Bauer. I grew up using their skates and sticks so it was easy choice to sign sponsor deal with them.

TPS: So it seems that you are very particular about the gear you use?

YS: Yes, if the stick does not feel right, I feel my game is lacking. Also with the skating. If skate is too hard or too soft then I cannot skate well.

TPS: I'm sure you can still skate circles around us even if you're not wearing your custom boot [Yuriy laughs]. Anyway, since you brought it up and since I'm sure the beer-leaguers and youngsters at home would love to hear it, can you tell us more about the stick you're currently using?

YS: I use Bauer's newest line stick the Nexus 1N with some small changes. I like to have a stiffer blade because it lets me stick handle without look down at ice because stiff blade lets me feel puck in my hands.

TPS: Ah yes, the stiffer a blade is, the more energy is transferred up the shaft each time the blade makes contact with the puck!

YS: Yes exactly. I had tried the softer blade on the regular Nexus stick and did not like it because it was too, how do you say, 'damp?' So I say to Bauer, 'Do you have stiffer blade?' and they give me four choices, show me that regular Nexus blade is number two stiffness. So I ask for number four stiffness and it is perfect.

TPS: Four stiffness options? That's a lot! On Bauer's retail sticks, they only offer two! Why did you decide to use a Nexus stick instead of Bauer's Vapor or Supreme lines?

YS: I tried the Supreme stick but felt that because it has a high kick-point, the puck release is too slow, and I like to shoot and pass very quick. The Vapor stick had much faster release, even faster than Nexus, but did not feel powerful enough when I was taking shot. Puck would flap around like pigeon in air. Then I try Nexus and passing and shooting was perfect.

TPS: And we've noticed! Great numbers you've been putting up so far!

YS: Thank you!

TPS: What about the flex on the stick? There have been rumors that you use a very whippy stick for someone your size?

YS: Yes, I use 75 flex stick.

TPS: 75!? Aren't you like 170 pounds? It seems like you would be better off with...... an 85 flex, no?

YS: Yes, I am 170 pounds. But my shooting is not big slap shot, so I do not need to worry about stick break. I like softer flexing stick because it let me take more accurate shot and I like that more than big slap shot.

TPS: What's your curve like?

YS: I grow up using heel curve, so my curve is also heel curve. I like heel curve more than other curve because heel curve let me shoot puck from wherever the puck is on blade, but mid curve and toe curve only good for shooting puck off toe, which mean shot not as accurate. Only problem with heel curve is shot come off slower than toe curve, but I can still shoot fast so is not problem. Listen kids: heel curve best curve!

TPS: Haha, most of our customers use that ever-popular toe curve. Maybe your endorsement of the heel curve will bring it back into favor! Final question about your stick, one that is the most polarizing among gear whores: grip or no grip?

YS: No grip. Because I stick handle fast, hands need to be able move up and down and left and right quick, and grip slow me down. But defenseman stick, those need grip because defensemen need to be able to hold stick to make defense play, and grip help with that.

TPS: So you recommend no grip for forwards, grip for defensemen?

YS: Yes.

TPS: We'll be sure to make a note of that! Moving on from the stick, what can you tell us about your gloves?

YS: I use Bauer Vapor 1X gloves with custom palm.

TPS: Custom palm?

YS: Softer leather than normal.

TPS: That seems to be a very popular option with the pros. Why did you choose the Vapor line?

YS: Vapor glove hug hand like surgeon glove, almost feel like you not wearing any glove at all. Make stick handle much easier.

TPS: Makes sense, and it appears to work based on what we've seen you able to do! Finally, I'm sure our users would love to hear about what skates you wear.

YS: I wear older-style skate Nexus skate. It very similar to very old Supreme skate from early 2000s.

TPS: Really? You would think pros would want to use the best of the best gear?

YS: Top of line skate not very protective; too light, too thin. If block shot with foot, can hurt very bad. But this old skate style is thicker so if take puck to foot, not hurt as much.

TPS: Do any of your teammates use older style skates?

YS: Some of my teammate use top of line skate, but that's because they grow up using them and are used to them. Other teammates use bigger skate like me for more protection, and defensemen also use plastic guards on foot for extra protection from big slap shots.

TPS: That sounds like it would be heavier and slow you down?

YS: It is heavier but we are professional player, couple gram difference mean nothing because we training every day.

TPS: I'm not sure you may be the best person to ask, but is this old style skate available for retail purchase?

YS: I am not sure, but I do not think so.

TPS: So the only way for our customers to get them would be to buy them from your team during an equipment sale?

YS: Probably.

TPS: And that's exactly what we do here at The PROShop; we bring professional level gear often exclusive to only the pros and make them available for you, our wonderful readers and customers. Well, Yuriy, thank you for stopping by and talking shop with us for a little while, and best of luck in the rest of your season!

YS: Thank you.

After our interview, Starkonov was kind enough to sign one of his game-used sticks for us as well as a pair of his game-used gloves and we will be auctioning them off for charity on our website. You can find a link to the stick auction here and the glove auction here. All proceeds will go to Sticks in the City, a non-profit organization aimed at helping lower-income families living in urban areas afford hockey equipment for their children should they decide that the best sport in the world is the one for them. And as an added celebration of Starkonov signing an endorsement deal with Bauer, we're giving you 15% off your next purchase in our store. Just use coupon code RMNB17 at check out!

Be sure to check back next month to see which pro's equipment tastes we'll be dissecting, but until then!

Give me free pls!!

[Image: capybar22_600.png]