Create Account

Three Players Who Could Go 1st OA in S36 by Dick Shivers

As we reach the halfway point of the SMJHL Season, it's time to take a look at the rookies and where they could end up on Draft Day! We've seen quite the shakeup since the SMJHL draft took place, and with more time to watch these young superstars take the ice, we are starting to get a better picture of who might go where come Draft Day. Is it far too early to be making these predictions? Maybe. But I know you narcissistic SMJHLers are just waiting for someone to drop your names, so we're going to do it anyway. Plus, Dick Shivers is hungry, and needs that sweet, sweet SHL money.

Bar Downski (HAL):

Let me tell you this, on a struggling Halifax team full of rookies looking to prove themselves, Bar Downski stands tall above the rest. While he isn't even the rookie leader in any category, Downski has made the most of what little he has been given in Halifax to this date. It's hard for me to feel sorry for where Halifax is sitting in the rankings when you look at how underutilized Downski is in the system. Additionally, taking out penalty shot goals, Downski and fellow rookie Yuri Boyka Jr. would be tied in their production; and you simply cannot credit one rookie over the other on the hockey equivalent of beer pong. What you can credit Downski for is his production on the powerplay: the only real chance he gets in Halifax. On the league's most pathetic powerplay unit, Downski is the go-getter; netting 28% of the teams goals on the man advantage. The GMs who find themselves with the first three picks in next years SHL draft are going to notice what Downski has done in his limited role in Halifax, and will not hesitate to call him up to the main roster to make an immediate impact in the SHL.

Tommy Toms: (PGF)

If I were to ask you who leads all Defenseman in total assists, would you guess Casey Creller? What about Isak Ødegård? You'd be wrong, because the current assist leader amongst all rookies is Tommy Toms. A 7th round pick by Prince George in the SMJHL draft, Toms has taken the SMJHL world by storm through solid defensive play and a pass crisp enough to slice butter. Just because the SMJHL world hasn't taken notice of Toms doesn't mean that he has flown under the GM's radar as they prepare for the upcoming draft. Toms is my dark horse pick for #1 on Draft Day.

Mathias Victorsson (DET):

I couldn't leave off the man who currently tops the S35 rookie scoreboard and has found his footing in Detroit, Mathias Victorsson. Victorsson has demonstrated a solid all-around game; putting up 12 goals and 16 points in 32 games for the Falcons. The reason I hesitate with Victorsson is the same reason why Ryan Richter doesn't make this list, and it's no fault of their own. Victorsson is currently playing with two Juniors veterans in Chris Smulander and Maurizio Arrivabene. My concern, and I'm sure the concern of GMs on Draft Day, is if he can keep up this insane level of production when he's grinding his way through the ranks. Can Victorsson carry a team by himself? Can Victorsson be the face of a franchise? His production alone warrants his place on this list; you simply cannot deny the numbers. However, will Victorsson be ready to take the jump at the end of this season for a team who might really need him, or will he stay in Juniors and see his production fall without the help of Smulander and Arrivabene?

Code:
All candidates considered on the basis of their STHS production only. Halifax has about 3 who could go 1st OA, but I wasn't about to get into a review piece on HAL.
Word Count: 644

Downski my boy

júnior Guarda
Throat Goat

Whiki for first or bust

[Image: andyj18.gif]

[Image: andybj18.gif]

[Image: pawter_meowski.png]

Quote:Originally posted by Andybj@Jul 3 2017, 03:46 PM
Whiki for first or bust
Yeahthat

<a href='index.php?showuser=1161' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>Plastic Bowl</a> should be first tbh

[Image: capybar22_600.png]

Quote:Originally posted by Andybj@Jul 3 2017, 11:46 PM
Whiki for first or bust

B)

Quote:Originally posted by Loco@Jul 3 2017, 02:35 PM
Downski my boy
Yeahthat Towel Towel Towel

First Overallski Fuck Yeahhhh raiders

[Image: Evok.gif]

[Image: merha.gif]

Go down for Downski

júnior Guarda
Throat Goat

<3u whim fo using Dick Shivers.Smile

[Image: CamNosreh.png]

Quote:Originally posted by TheWoZy@Jul 3 2017, 03:57 PM
<a href='index.php?showuser=1161' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>Plastic Bowl</a> should be first tbh
You mean Spoon?

[Image: DrunkenTeddy.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]  |  [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

Quote:Originally posted by Evok+Jul 3 2017, 08:30 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1' id='QUOTE-WRAP'><tr><td>QUOTE (Evok @ Jul 3 2017, 08:30 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->First Overallski Fuck Yeahhhh raiders[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-Loco@Jul 3 2017, 08:32 PM
Go down for Downski[/quote]

Thanks fam! <3

As much as I'd love Downski to go 1OA, we all know

<a href='index.php?showuser=1159' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-56'>prettyburn</a>

Odegard will go 1OA

raiders

Akashi SixNine Jr. Updates

Quote:Originally posted by Clint Eastwood@Jul 4 2017, 11:01 AM
As much as I'd love Downski to go 1OA, we all know

<a href='index.php?showuser=1159' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-56'>prettyburn</a>

Odegard will go 1OA

Let's call that pick 0OA.