Create Account

Rookie Spotlight Inari Twain, A 9th Round Hail Mary

3075 Words, First Article Bonus (2x)

Rookie Spotlight – Inari Twain, A 9th Round Hail Mary

Think about when you were 18 and think about yourself now. To avoid any auspices of a clever introduction, I’ll be frank, you’ve changed. You’re interested in different things, your knee doesn’t work as well as it used to, you care less about that punk band you used to listen to and most importantly, you’ve worked hard on some things, and left some things behind. The parts of you that matter the most have risen to the top, but in many ways, they’re not what you would have expected, and they’re most certainly not indicative of who you were when you were a kid.
Now imagine that your current employer came and found you at around 17 or 18 and told you that they’ve been watching your childhood, and think you’d be a great fit when you got out of college, so they’re going to keep anyone else from talking to you until then and see how things go. Wouldn’t that be… Weird?
In sports, this is the draft, a gamble teams take every year to try to improve themselves, betting on “sure” things and uncertainties, hoping that more than one might pay off. But in a land of uncertainty there are more and less sure things. Much work has been done about the value of a late round draft pick versus a first round pick, and any competent analysis would say it’s a steep drop off. In terms of point shares, player value in early rounds drops steeply after even the 3rd pick, and can vary wildly.
[Image: Screen%2BShot%2B2014-11-11%2Bat%2B1.27.34%2BPM.png]

When you’re dealing with the younger players of the SMJHL the risk is different, but the risk sure seems just as apparent. Lots of players in the SMJHL have disappeared from their rosters after being unable to keep up with the work required to stay relevant. SMJHL teams are also forced to consider the possibility of their stars getting called up to the SHL, and in some cases, would rather call on a FA when they know what they need than take on the contractual risk of a late round flier. Like it or not, to be a Rookie in this league is hard work, and with expectations high to show up quickly for the SHL draft, it’s hard to know who will be valuable, and who will bust.

So with all that in mind, what drives a team to pick a player up late, say in the 9th round? It’s risky, it’s hard to project their value, and if and when they do pan out, everything about your team may have changed. However, as one SHL insider noted,
“There are two types of players people remember from the draft, first round busts and late round steals. In my opinion there’s maybe more risk involved in taking a flyer or a first round player than taking a diamond that’s really rough in the late rounds. No one’s going to remember or care that you took a risk in the 9th, they care that you screwed up the first round pick.”

Other scouts seemed to echo this sentiment, often commenting that big busts feel less like a waste when you get them late, although one scout went further than that, saying, “the only thing that makes me feel bad at my job, is missing out on the guy in the late round that no one else saw coming. I can take knowing what everyone else knew, but that late round guy will keep you up at night.”

So why do it?
How do you get over the fear, and buckle down to commit to a young player you can’t predict like a first round dynamo?

I’d imagine it’s because sometimes you get lucky and you get Inari Twain.

I’d love to say that when the Vancouver Whalers selected Inari Twain in the 9th round at 66th overall, there was some reaction in the league to report on. It would certainly make my job easier. If there was any at all, it was probably entirely small nods of approval from the scouting team in Vancouver and maybe a brief check of the phone from the current roster when the alert came in from draft coverage.

Good, that’s the way Vancouver likes it.

For a team looking to rebound from two seasons of missing the playoffs, Twain’s selection was a blip on a much bigger draft that featured the first overall selection of Isak Ødegård, and second round steals of Joakim Lindqvist and Chippy Chiclets. Couple that with the progression of S34 Rookies Robert Phelps and Sophia Bennett, Vancouver was already looking forward to playing with a tremendous line-up that had the rest of the SMJHL watching their own back. Still, Vancouver made their 9th round pick with a goal in mind. Vancouver saw what a lot of people had neglected to consider, a unique player, a playmaking winger, with a chance to turn into something covetable and transformative for any team in the league.

I got a chance to speak to Inari recently at the training facilities for the Vancouver Whalers. Twain was in the middle of a workout, but was willing to talk to me in-between his sets. Twain started by telling me that he was surprised and excited about his selection by the Whalers, unexpected as it may have been.
“I was planning on being a free agent, kind of how I like it in a way. You don’t get drafted, you have to prove yourself, convince someone to take you on and then keep you around. I don’t know it felt nice to have that plan. So to get drafted? It’s a surprise, but it’s nice to not have had that expectation of yourself.”
Twain’s family and friends of course were thrilled. The determined attitude of Inari has undoubtedly led to many sleepless nights for those who cared about him. Watching him work out, you could see that Twain’s odd blend of determination and laid back air bled into everything he does. Twain would often rest between sets drinking from a battered mug of tea while he spoke with me, often confounding with the grit he presented in the gym.

I asked Twain how he saw himself on the ice and for a quiet guy, he was forceful about how he wanted to play.
“I want there to be no doubt that when I have the puck on my stick, everyone else is a threat. I don’t care if I’m slowing down the play or speeding it up, I love to make other players hesitate. They question if I am going to make a pass they haven’t thought of, or drive the net myself and create space. It is in that moment that I get to create my game, my team’s game, and make my teammates better.”

Finding opinions on a late round pick is harder than it might seem, but we were able to get one scout’s thoughts on Twain.
“Uh, yeah, the kid can pass, and he’s one hell of a skater. Strong on the puck, and he’ll only get better. He’s a bit liable in the defensive zone, but a smart kid like that only learns that part of the game. Hard worker, quick to pick up new skills… If you’re going to take a risk on a guy, might as well take a risk on a guy like that. Talent is great, but talented means nothing if you’re stupid in this league.”

We took a look at Twain’s performance in his younger leagues of play. Suffice to say, he put up impressive stats (if you trust HERO Charts to paint a picture), producing at that level a heaping of goals and first line type performance.
[Image: xB3qBRl.png]
What remains to be seen is if that performance can translate to the bright lights of the SHL and the brighter lights of the SMJHL. Being asked to provide defensive support seems like a risk that Vancouver is hoping pays off in a more complete player for years to come. Twain’s bantam coach Jyrki Aho obliged us with a few notes on the right winger’s potential and how far he’s come.
“Sure, he produced for us quite well, always worked hard on the ice. We asked a lot of him as a kid and he’d show up. Lucky in some ways for sure, but he tended to make his own luck.”

I pressed Aho for his thoughts on what Vancouver is getting with their 9th round pick and if Twain could create what he created in bantam.
“It’s a different league though, [a] lot easier to score then make a play. There will be a transition for him, he’s not the kind of player that can put a shot away anywhere he wants, and he knows that.” Aho didn’t seem concerned, adding that, “Vancouver doesn’t have to worry about him adapting. When we lost our top finishers, Twain stood up to the challenge and started shooting more. Just ask, he’ll be there, just be patient on the way.”
And if anyone’s concerned, Vancouver has been in touch with Aho on numerous occasions to better understand their new player. To say the least, they’ve been thorough in their selection.

And while Aho’s feedback might seem tough, it’s more honest and fair, an aspect of Jyrki that in many ways created the type of man ready to join the ranks of the SMJHL. I mentioned Aho’s thoughts, and Twain, when asked about where he needs to improve, put it simply.
“Everywhere. I mean, why not say everywhere? I’m young, and can’t expect to be the best at anything right now. If I’m satisfied with any part of my game I’ve missed an opportunity to help my team more. I know how good this league and the SHL is, and I don’t want to be satisfied there either. I’m flattered that coach thinks so highly of me, but it’s not on my team to be patient, it’s on me to keep improving.”

We pushed for specifics (of course) and Twain obliged us.
“I haven’t been asked to fill much of a 200 foot role, but I know if I’m going to be a part of this league and hopefully part of the SHL, I need to help out my defenders and our goalie. The team in Vancouver has been asking me to work on that, and I’ve been happy to do so. I’ve always been proud of my skating, and I want to keep improving there, and one of the ways I can supplement that is by creating better passes for my teammates. I’ve been working on new first look drills with Isak and Lizzy after practices, trying to come in on the rush and post up and find their stick quickly. Besides that, I watch a lot of tape, something I didn’t do much of as a kid. Tried to just play the game and have fun then, but at a certain point you have to watch how other players do it. How do they keep their feet moving and find space, and when do they make their move.”

Sure enough, Twain’s background is surprisingly hockey absent, even for someone who played for as many years as he did as a kid.
“I started young, had a book that was about roller hockey that I loved, barely watched the game though. [My] Parents got me into a league and I just played the game. I didn’t watch much I was just enjoying myself, and turns out I was pretty good. Everything kind of snowballed from there, and I just took to the game, kept up with bantam and was so focused on what I was doing in the moment I sort of forgot to look up and take notes. I’m catching up though. Hard not to now that I’m playing in the league.”

In this sense, Twain is a bit of a surprise. He’s less of a natural fit for the game, and more of a passionate stick in the mud, doggedly determined to be part of it, even if he barely fits. You’ll see it in some of his choices on the ice still, he’ll pick odd spots for his passes, trying to thread a needle most wouldn’t. It’s the kind of skill that threatens brilliance, but so far hasn’t fully translated to the ice.

And yet, Inari Twain perseveres and keeps working, evidenced by review of this writer’s notes, the over three hours spent at the gym talking with the young forward.
While Twain’s parents were unavailable at the time of writing (EDITOR’S NOTE: Some folks appreciate a heads up when you need a translator from Finnish) in the past they have often spoken to Twain’s desire to skate extra after practices. Twain was notorious for skating alongside cars in the hills after games, a feat that entertained his hometown, but often upset his bantam coaches, who worried about his recovery.

When asked about this, Inari spoke between sprints on the row machine, “I have a lot of energy, and sleeping just feels sometimes like a waste of time. I’ve gotten better, and the training staff is very insistent that I rest, but I keep my spare key for the training facility with an iron grip. Some nights you just need to get a little more time.”

I was struck with Inari’s unquenchable thirst to enjoy himself while playing the game he loves as I spoke to him. His workouts are eclectic at times, matching the zeal of his youthful mountain climbs, featuring short sprints, peg-board climbs, odd patterns of single-leg box-jumps, and an almost absurd passion for battle ropes. Twain noted that he loves “listening to old movie soundtracks and matching the waves in the ropes to the music.” His teammates reportedly have never joined him on what he calls “The ‘Ultimate’ Star Wars Night.” I tried to join him on one round of his Uncharted themed bench presses and realized quickly there’s a reason I stick to more classic workout plans - I know when they’ll end.

Nevertheless, Inari Twain, work ethic and passion aside is a possible solution to an important reality about the league. The SHL is all about fit, and in the SMJHL, a player who is willing to, and able to adapt, is often who gets the attention of first his teammates, then the coaches, and then the SHL on Draft Day. And while Twain’s numbers have had a slow start, his teammates certainly think he’s got the potential to have a much better showing at the SHL entry draft.

We got a chance to talk to Robert Phelps of the Whalers and asked him about Inari’s season.
"Inari has been a great teammate to have on the Whalers, despite his stats so far this season, he has been fantastic to have in the room. He's only got one goal so far this season and it came on his first shift and first shot ever as a Whaler. Lizzy won a faceoff in the Firebird's zone and got the puck over to Dore, who passed it down low to Twain. When Twain got it he looked nervous as hell and almost like he didn't know what to do next, but I think that indecision got the Prince George goalie to expect a pass. Inari took a shot instead after his long time deciding and managed to score a goal in his first game, on his first shift and with his first shot ever in the SMJHL. Now we are 25+ games later and Inari hasn't managed another goal. He is clearly a great passer and you can really tell in practice and during games. If he sees an opening to get the puck on your stick, he will get the puck on your tape. I haven't played on the same line as him yet, he's kind of been saddled with a defensive role on the 4th line, but with his skills it should only be a matter of time before he breaks into the top 9, then the top 6. A great playmaking winger is rare to come by in this league and I think he's going to be extremely highly valued when it comes time for the SHL teams to make their draft selections. I'm sure the slow start will hurt him a little bit in the rankings, but there's no way he slips to 66th overall again like he did for us."

Sure enough, since we spoke to Phelps, Twain has been moved up into the top 9, and has begun to take on a more offensive role. The Whalers have gone on to a five game winning streak and are looking to overtake St. Louis in the standings for first overall. Twain’s game has improved in the defensive zone, and he’s creating more chances than he was in the first half of the season. He’s a quick learner, and has endeared himself to the coaches and the fans of Vancouver. There have been clear strides taken by Twain to stand out in his training, and in doing so his value has obviously improved for a Vancouver team flush with talent and playoff potential. Vancouver has proven to be a perfect training ground for the young forward, offering a place to prove himself, alongside safety to make mistakes and know there will always be room to try again.

So, why take a risk on a 9th round pick? Because what do you have to lose? In the case of Vancouver, it might even be a question of what do they have to win. Hopefully this year, everything.

I called up Twain before publishing to ask what he thought about his recent promotion, all he had to say was this, “I’d watch the game from the sidelines for the rest of the year if it helped us make it to the playoffs. For them to give me this chance only means I have to work harder.” It was 11PM on a game night and I could hear what sounded like the Lord of the Rings soundtrack in the background. I’m guessing it was “Ultimate Lord of the Rings Trilogy” night and there was a trainer somewhere in Vancouver trying to figure out how to steal Twain’s key back from him.

Good luck, you’re going to need it.

Barry Allen, SMJHL News

Whalers Whalers Whalers Great first article man, definite 9th round steal Cheers

Damn. Great first article man. Well done!

[Image: DrunkenTeddy.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]  |  [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

Ladies and Gentlemen the next Kyle Dubas in front of you right now, Good stuff man! Looking forward to more

[Image: Crossfit.gif]

[Image: CFJ1.gif]

Thanks to prettyburn, TML, Carpy, JNH, Jepox, Engi, Karey, Flappy, Skolpadder, Mook, DollarAndADream, Smirnov and Toe for the sigs.

Code:
Crossfit's First Career SHL Goal, 4. Manhattan Rage , Crossfit Jesus 1 (Pedro Sarantez, Nucky Toohoots) at 5:51

Code:
Devitt's First Career SHL Goal, 5. Calgary Dragons , Prince Devitt 1 (Barry Batsbak 21, Mike Izzy 14) at 10:43