Create Account

The Road to the cup Toronto North Stars Curse broken

35 seasons. 35 fucking seasons was what it took to bring the Challenge Cup to the city of Toronto. The first in franchise history. The taller the mountain, the sweeter the victory, and Toronto climbed one hell of a mountain to get to where it is today. After Toronto's dramatic comeback from being down 3-1, let's take a look at how did this notoriously cursed team win it all.

S31, 4 seasons ago...
The journey arguably started 4 seasons ago, after another upsetting loss at the hands of the New England Wolfpack, after going up 3-1 in the series. Long time General Manager Jordan Nugent Hopkins (JNH) stepped down for Toronto. A few short days later, <a href='index.php?showuser=1485' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>RaiN</a> came in and became the new General Manager for the Toronto North Stars, things were looking bright as RaIN had many fresh ideas to help build this team for a championship.

Things went horribly wrong though at first. Just a few short days later, The Toronto North Stars were announced to have tampered. A shock to the SHL, the penalty was clear.

Code:
Punishment:
Loss of three first round draft picks (S33 TOR 1st, S34 TOR 1st, S35 TOR 1st)
Inability to sign any free agents for one full season (cannot sign any free agents for all of S32)
Suspension of GM's player for entire season (Andrey Barbashev cannot play for ALL of S32, playoffs included)
$10,000,000 fine to the team (Budget for S32 falls from $65.0mil to $55.0mil)

It was arguably the worst start a GM could possibly have to his career. losing 3 first round picks, their 3rd best forward on the team, and a 10M fine was a huge obstacle for the Toronto North Stars to have to overcome. To add to that, many people also argued that RaIN should be relieved of his duties as a result. Although he wasn't in the end and allowed to keep his job as GM, there were more problems heading his way.

Going back to the last tampering punishment the SHL had seen, Portland had been forced to commit to a complete rebuild, a firesale. Many saw Toronto also doing the same method as the team was in a very strange state with many players in their prime or aging away. In some ways, they did do a mini fire sale. Many players voiced their opinions in the LR, many asked out, some were willing to leave but gave RaIN the choice on what to do with them. Overwhelmed by the choices of what to do, RaIN called Cynthia, the runner up candidate for the GM spot. The two collaborated on dealing out the players that no longer wished to be in Toronto at that point while also drawing up what the future for Toronto should be.

Offseason firesale
Toronto's first moves were to move out every player that no longer wanted to be apart of the franchise. Their first move was a deal with West Kendall. Adam Falk had been a player with the North Stars for quite some time but his future with Toronto was always... unknown, especially with FA rankings every season. He was the first piece to fall for Toronto.

Stars Receives:
F - Damien Wert
S33 WKP 2nd Round Pick (Olli Ojala)

Platoon Receives:
F - Adam Falk

The Stars received a slightly older, more veteran winger in Damien Wert who became a huge part of Toronto's offense for the next few seasons. Scoring 2 50+ seasons and also ending up tied for most points in the playoffs with Kristian Eriksson during their cup win. Their 2nd round pick was negligible for Toronto as the pick eventually became inactive.

West Kendall had Adam Falk for just two seasons before being traded to Texas. He had two 40ish point seasons for the Platoon. The Toronto North Stars win this trade in the end for Wert's longer time in Toronto and his efforts in the playoffs.

The next trade was dealing out a young Russian defender named Alexsander Komerov.

Stars Receives:
D - Blake Battle
S34 TEX 2nd Round Pick (Elias Lindstrom)

Panthers Receives:
D - Alexsander Komerov

Blake Battle was nothing more than a bottom pairing defenseman for the Stars, Battle retired last season ending his career after 3 seasons with the North. The 2nd round pick though has become Elias Lindstrom, although he may not have received any official ice time in the end vs Portland, he will end up with a cup ring on his finger and will be starting in TOR's roster next season.

Komerov has become a steady stay at home defenseman for the Panthers, starting his career last season, he has been a plus his whole career and he looks to be filling in the role of Johnny Cahill very soon. The trade arguably comes out even as both teams have yet to see the true potential of their players yet.

Next up we start what will become a large connection of TOR/POR trades, most of them eventually facing off against each other in the finals.

Stars Receives:
F - Brandan Gauthier

:admirals: Receives:
F - Jacob Renninger

The North Stars easily lose this trade. Despite signing Gauthier to 3 years after the signing, Gauthier went inactive immediately after, he was eventually released a season later and was picked up by the Panthers.

The Admirals on the other hand gained their future 1st line winger and penalty killer.

Stars Receives:
F - Steve Linkos Stars

:admirals:
S34 TOR 5th Round pick (-)

Toronto traded for a 3rd line winger for the roster, Linkos was an alright player for the retool season as he had an above average season for a 3rd liner. He retired last season after not being resigned.

The Admirals never used this pick although both teams didn't get much from this trade so.... even in the end.

Stars Receives:
F - Kjelle Eide

S35 3rd Round Pick (-)

The Stars again traded with the Admirals to bring in a player to play bottom line time. Kjelle Eide was a solid center though for the North Stars for 3 seasons before being dropped to FA last season.

Portland once again never used their pick but in a sense neither team really loses out.

The Next trade is the biggest trade that Toronto would have for the next 4 seasons leading to the cup win.

F - Alex Reed
D - Colin Banning
S33 TOR 3rd (Traded to MIN)

Stars
S33 EDM 1st (Chris York)
S33 MIN 2nd (Zandar Rhys)
S33 POR 2nd (Fletcher Carric)
S34 EDM 1st (Traded for Szlerchek)

A gigantic trade for both teams. Alex Reed and Colin Banning were both expected to be huge pieces for the Toronto North Stars in the future, a solid top 2 D-man and a top line forward. Unfortunately the two asked out and thus this trade was formed.

Alex Reed currently plays on the 3rd line for the Admirals, although with his TPE count, it's expected he'll be moved up to the top line soon enough. Colin Banning plays in the top 4 on a loaded Portland defense. he was a big piece for the Portland Admirals' success in the past few seasons.

Toronto received 4 draft picks and two of them are huge integral pieces to Toronto's core. Chris York played a breakout role in the playoffs this season with 15 points, playing as the best forward during the WKP series. He currently is nearing 1k TPE and although he's a FA, TOR is confidant they can sign him. (Don't do it c I swear to god).

Rhys on the other hand is the expected Ryan Jesster winner for S35 as he also played a huge role in the playoffs and is expected to be the best defenseman for the North Stars in the upcoming seasons.

Fletcher Carric is still currently in the SMJHL, although his growth is slow, Toronto may resign him next season. The S34 EDM 1st was traded straight up for Zallerras Szlerchek a few seasons later. The relationship between management Szlerchek soured though as it is looking like the doors are closed for Szlerchek to ever come back as neither parties want nothing to do with each other.

Due to Toronto's Challenge Cup Victory vs the Portland Admirals, it looks like they narrowly beat out Portland on who won this trade.

S32 Season

The season for the North Stars was rough on them. Due to suspensions and a much weaker roster after losing many of their pieces to retirements and trades. Toronto certainly suffered as they couldn't even use their 1st as they lost it in the tampering punishment. They ended up 2nd last.

Due to Cynthia's help with trades and roster management during the offseason, she was offered the Co-GM role with RaIn and she accepted. She became the coach handling lines and operated much of the background work in Toronto.

Toronto's lack of success however cost them a veteran player who still wanted to win the cup. By trade deadline, Toronto shipped out long time center Chester Cunningham.

Stars Receives:
F - Sven Karlsson
S34 LAP 3rd (-)

Panthers Receives:
F - Chester Cunningham

The Stars lost their number one center and Damien Wert's partner as he slowed down near the end of the season. Karlsson was a top center for the Stars for the next 2 seasons although he was also later traded away which we'll get to later. The 3rd round pick became nothing in the end as it was never even used.

The Panthers received the Jeff Dar winner that year and a top 6 center for the next 4 seasons and beyond. The trade comes out fairly even due to both teams getting a player with around the same skill level.

S33 Draft and offseason
Toronto made no moves during the draft but as mentioned before, their two biggest moves came from drafting Chris York and Zandar Rhys who both became huge parts of Toronto's trip to the Challenge Cup.

Toronto also failed to land any major free agents that season although there weren't that many great ones to be fair. However they did improve in a way as Andrey Barbashev came back from his suspension and would be a top passing winger for Toronto.

S33 Season
Toronto managed to surprise a lot of people with their performance that season. Although the team had no offensive superstar or any player playing significantly well compared to the others, they managed to squeak in 3rd in the East for a playoff position due to a weak Eastern Conference.

Much like the season, they surprised everyone yet again by sweeping the West Kendall platoon in round due to stellar performances by Mark Harter and Kristian Eriksson. In the 2nd round, they gave the New England Wolfpack another scare as they went up 3-1 in the series. However a line change and a rally by their own stars Patrikov Bure and Nathan Russell led the comeback for NEW to take the series, and their back to back Challenge Cup.

S34 Draft and Offseason
Before the draft had started, RaIN had made a move to bolster up Toronto's special teams and defensive play. Trading the S34 EDM 1st round pick, they traded for Zallerras Szlerchek

Stars Receives:
F - Zallerras Szlerchek
Conditional 2nd round pick (Later forfeited due to other trade)

Rage Receives:
S34 EDM 1st Round Pick (Hermaines Villy)

The Stars received a top 6 forward for the next 2 seasons also leading to their cup win. However this was also his final season as he was frustrated with lack of powerplay time and put into a defensive line.

The Rage received Hermaines Villy from their draft selection although it seems that his potential has stalled recently and it may look to have been a bad trade for the Rage in the end.

During the draft, the Stars selected Elias Lindstrom from the Montreal Miltia who is looking to be a future top 6 winger in a few seasons for the North Stars making steady but sure growth.

This offseason was massive for the Stars as they managed to retool their roster incredibly quickly. Unfortunately long time goaltender Mark Harter had split ways from the North Stars as he went to Portland in FA as young goalie Jeff Kirkstone needed time to be the starter.

Toronto however brought in two huge pieces for the next few seasons through FA. First off Reed Laing who had been in a lengthy dispute with the Portland Admirals came to Toronto after GM RaIN convinced the young vixen of a player to put on the blue and white. A decision they would not regret for sure. Robb Wind had also come in during FA leaving his draft team the Buffalo Stampede returning after a long period of inactivity due to personal problems. (Injured)

S34 Season
The season started very slow for the new and improved roster. Rookie goalie Jeff Kirkstone had a big welcome to the SHL as he struggled early just like his team did. Mid-way however the team managed to pick itself up and get into the playoffs due to another weak Eastern Conference, facing the New England Wolfpack in the 1st round. The team actually were in a bad spot versus the Wolfpack going down 3-1 in the series. They managed to once again scare the Wolfpack by bringing it back to game 7 but losing out in the end.

After the playoffs had ended, there was a big announcement coming from Toronto. GM RaIN had decided to step down due to being hired by TSN (Real life comes first!Wink and gave the Head-GM role to Cynthia. His player also announced his retirement after the S35 season would end.

I'll speak first person now since I'm tired of writing in 3rd person lol, I right away decided to hire a Co-GM to help me out with the draft coming up soon. After opening up applications, I hired <a href='index.php?showuser=1663' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-13'>Winter is Coming</a> who has been a great Co-GM to work with in my opinion.

S35 Draft and Offseason
The S35 draft marked the end of the punishment for the Toronto North Stars 3 seasons ago with tampering. We still had no 1st round pick but with our 2nd, we picked up <a href='index.php?showuser=2598' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>Seth</a> aka Jack Hansen from the Montreal Militia. He's been making a great progress so far developing as a defenseman and
I'm excited to see what he can do in the SHL soon.

Due to the fact that I'm writing this right now before the PBP Ninja I won't ask Dankoa if I can share his reasoning for leaving so I won't say it. But Dankoa asked out and we did our best to accommodate his wish.

Stars
Receive:
F - Evandrus Jesster

Renegades
Receive:
F - Sven Karlsson

We received Evandrus Jesster who is considered inactive right now. He's got a great player though and his player was absolutely clutch during the finals so I was ecstatic with how well Jesster's player did. He ended up scoring the game 6 winner with just 17 seconds left to force game 7. Dankoa is a great guy, I respected his wish, I hope him and his player both have a great time in Texas.

FA was once again very kind to us. We signed Travis Kudleychuk as our number 1 center for most of the season. His player was great during regular season and a force during the playoffs. #puns Ninja

S35 Season
we came into the season expecting that we were gonna dominate. We didn't crush the league by any means but I think we did really well in the end. We had rookies Chris York and Zandar Rhys come in and be a massive impact first year with us. York is a little hard on himself for his season but I think he's really happy with his performance during the playoffs. Rhys was also a big player for us during the playoffs and during the regular season. He should be winning the Jesster Trophy which Toronto hasn't gotten in apparently 15-20 seasons.

The Jesster - Laing - Wert line was born during the season and stuck with each other the whole time even into the playoffs. They were just dominant overall. Jesster was a great fit for Wert and Laing really broke out as a PPG player this season. Kudleychuk had a great season overall, Eriksson and Szlerchek had a weaker season than normal which I was really disappointed with myself for not being able to help with in the end.

Szlerchek obviously was having a big of a temper during the season and I understand in some ways why he is thinking this. I think me and him have different perspectives on what his player is good at. He says that he's told management, I did see him mention early in the season that he had no PP time and he was on a defensive line. I PM'd him, no response. My PP went up from 5% to 25% at one point so I'm fine with that and my defensive line I'll stand by since I got to the finals with that. He'll get his cup, he'll complain, he'll leave. Whatever

During the trade deadline Wally came up to me and asked if I wanted Harter back which I accepted.

Stars Receive:
G - Mark Harter

:admirals: Receive:
S37 TOR 3rd

I'll get to this trade when we hit the finals Wink

Anyway we finished up one game behind NEW as we lost one game near the end to them. If we had won that one, we would have been the first team to knock NEW off of the top in the east position since S30.

The Road to the Cup
First Round was the West Kendall platoon. They did pretty well in my opinion during the regular season so I was certainly scared. 1st line they dunked us pretty much as Alex Light got a hat-trick. 3rd was made more defensive and York really took off as a result. Barbashev, York, and Kirkstone all played really well as we won 3 OT games in a row to knock out the Platoon

Second Round was the dreaded Ponies, New England Wolfpack. This was our 4th appearance against them since JNH stepped down and we lost the previous 3. We won game 1, lost game 2, then won the next 3 in a row, slaying the Dragon essentially. The biggest blockade for us finally was overcome. To all you New England players reading to this, Bure's on the couch for reference. Laing, Jesster, Barbashev all played again phenomenal in the 2nd round. Kirkstone played great as he shut down their top line for the whole series which I was seriously impressed by.

The Finals. Against Portland of all teams. That trade 4 seasons ago was gonna come into play right here. Game 1 was a huge slap in the face for us as we never lost by that much yet. 6-1, I shook it off as a fluke. Game 2, We managed to win 6-4 in another shootout. Game 3 was a ballbuster 3-2 loss and Game 4 was a 6-5 OT loss which gave way to a massive change. If anyone is wondering i asked <a href='index.php?showuser=283' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-13'>ThatDamnMcJesus</a> of all people for some advice on my lines. He told me an idea on how to form lines for the future and some must knows for the sim. With that in mind I made my changes and I brought in Harter as well.

Bringing in Harter was the tough decision as I hated to do that to <a href='index.php?showuser=2245' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-10'>Grapehead</a>. I messaged him and I once again want to thank him for being a great guy overall and a really good sport about it.

Game 5, we managed to win 4-1 thanks to Barbashev coming alive again and Harter playing quite well in my opinion.

Game 6. Close game all the way to the end before Jesster managed to score a goal with 17 seconds left. Game 7 here we came.

Game 7. We went up 2-0. Then they tied it up 2-2. 3rd Period though Captain Eriksson and Jesster scored 2 more goals to secure the first ever Challenge Cup for Toronto.

Besides Eriksson, Barbashev, Myself, and to some extent Harter, the team was completely different four seasons ago. This article was to show newer players the journey and complete remodel of the Toronto North Stars over the past 4 seasons. Especially with the draft coming up, don't worry about the team you get drafted to too much, if the pieces fall right, and you remain patient. You can win a cup anywhere Wink. To all the players on Stars Expect a big thank you letter in the LR soon for your efforts

[Image: ne80va.png]
[Image: cynthia.png]

Thanks to Enigmatic and Crutch for the beautiful signatures
[Image: Niz2wua.png][Image: egAspOO.png]

Stars great moves coach!

Ur welcome. Me bein me. I gunna say dat I broke da curse. Last 34 seasons no help from me. This season help from me. Now you win cup.

[Image: hallsy.png]

Quote:Originally posted by ThatDamnMcJesus@Jul 30 2017, 08:54 PM
Ur welcome. Me bein me. I gunna say dat I broke da curse. Last 34 seasons no help from me. This season help from me. Now you win cup.

CAN YOU STOP WASTING YOUR TIME WITH THEM AND WIN A CUP IN HAMILTON! Angry

[Image: capybar22_600.png]

I could not have managed to find a better partner to work with than you, Cynthia. It's been a tremendous honor being your co-GM, and I am confident that together we can repeat this success.

It's an honor to break this curse and bring the first championship to Toronto, especially given the many great GM's this franchise has had.

Congratulations to anyone associated with the franchise in some capacity, and let's go repeat next season!

#MadeHistory

[Image: giphy.gif]
[pbhfx]

[/pbhfx]
ShlBattlebornUkShlBattlebornUkShlBattlebornUk
Player Page || Update Page

<a href='index.php?showuser=1833' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-13'>Cynthia</a> congrats!

[Image: capybar22_600.png]

Quote:Originally posted by TheWoZy@Jul 30 2017, 06:55 PM

CAN YOU STOP WASTING YOUR TIME WITH THEM AND WIN A CUP IN HAMILTON! Angry
K.

[Image: hallsy.png]

<a href='index.php?showuser=1833' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-13'>Cynthia</a> We did it. We finally did it. Thank you for not giving up on me when a lot of players did. You were the first to step up and without you, we don't get as far as we did. That trade with Portland though!!! We got very fortunate with whom we have drafted! <a href='index.php?showuser=2458' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-10'>Symmetrik</a> and <a href='index.php?showuser=2476' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-17'>ThePandava</a> will be great players for a long time in Toronto. WiC I don't know how to tag you properly for whatever reason but I hope you see this. It was great working with you prior to your hiring. Your drafting, passion and commitment to Toronto stood out to me immediately when you became an FA and I enjoyed all our conversations. You were the first person on SHL that I had a voice convo with (with my gf present) which was hilarious but at the end of day, I know I wanted to bring you in and I already had a good idea that you would be within management. Who knew you'd be the Co to bring TO a ring.

As you guys know I'm currently out of the country. I have an 8 hour drive tomorrow but I will definitely be writing out a thank you as I was able to finish my career on top. So thank you everyone!! #Madehistory

[Image: QhAQn2i.png]  [Image: yIvjn4j.png]

You guys always had good management but an unfortunate history. A vintage team and hopefully a turn of tides for them in terms of playoffs success. (Unless its against the Chiefs)

Never thought I'd say it to a Star, not in the first era atleast.. but congrats Stars.

Doubt is a dream killer

Congrats guys, supper happy Toronto broke the curse!

I know someone else that would be happy to hear <a href='index.php?showuser=13' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-50'>jkrever</a> Wink

Congrats Toronto, it was a good run for you guys, and your team really was worth winning the cup. You guys also have a great future aswell, like York, Graphead, Pandava, etc etc, and your management smart as fuck. Fun series

I knew this was the year it was happening. I'm happy for TOR, it's special to be part of the team who breaks such a long standing "curse". Gotta be awesome to get that monkey off your backs.

[Image: tZTGSGj.png]
[Image: 2AFxw6o.png]

Port traded a cup away for a 3rd round pick. Thats what I got from this Towel

Quote:Originally posted by sarmo@Jul 31 2017, 12:48 AM
You guys always had good management but an unfortunate history. A vintage team and hopefully a turn of tides for them&nbsp; in terms of playoffs success. (Unless its against the Chiefs)

Never thought I'd say it to a Star, not in the first era atleast.. but congrats Stars.
classic Sarmo :lol:

Quote:Originally posted by Abdeezy@Jul 31 2017, 09:48 AM
Congrats guys, supper happy Toronto broke the curse!

I know someone else that would be happy to hear <a href='index.php?showuser=13' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-50'>jkrever</a>&nbsp; Wink
Wink