Create Account

Weekend Funtime: First Impressions

THIS PT IS OPEN TO ALL SHL PLAYERS AND SENDDOWNS.

We're almost one week into the regular season, and trends are already starting to form. People are getting jittery, both on- and off-ice. Let's talk about it. Pick one of the following topics to discuss.

- Who's your early prediction for the Jesster Trophy (rookie of the year)? Justify your choice.

- There's been a lot of discussion about the tampering rule lately. If you were to rewrite it, how would you alter it, and why? If not, why do you think it's fine as-is?

- Who do you think will distinguish themselves for the S37 SHL draft at the end of the season? Have any prospects surprised you? Impressed you? Talk about them and tag them!

- Media grading has always been a bit of a tricky topic on the site. Give your opinion on the current system. What do you think should constitute a media bonus? Should we move towards a less strict grading system?

Every participant will receive ONE CAPPED TPE, while 5 will be chosen as discussion leaders to receive an additional ONE UNCAPPED TPE.

Discussion will close Sunday, August 20th, at 7PM EST.

[Image: shlpris41.gif]
sig credits
[Image: FJ4Sjuj.png] |[Image: apAE8qn.png] | [Image: uEsOaLl.png]
[Image: 2dtdoyf.png]
Former affiliates: raiders Jets Stars

Media is, as they say, El Not Funno. Even the small differences in the NSFL makes it more worthwhile for me. Maybe bring in the requested articles, or give bonuses to people for doing actual hard stats or building up nice backstory, rather than spilling for word count.

júnior Guarda
Throat Goat

I have to say, from our early scouting <a href='index.php?showuser=2743' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>ontanis</a> has been pretty impressive. It's great seeing so many 1st gens in a smaller draft class holding their own against the recreates. <a href='index.php?showuser=2728' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>Beaver</a> is another one of those prospects that is looking quite promising. I could go on and on. I guess I should give a shoutout to <a href='index.php?showuser=2738' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>dino_2000_22</a> as well.

Keep up the hard work and you'll all make a name for yourselves out there.

Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights
[Image: VZtEodi.png]
[Image: 1n0REYx.png]

RIP Dangel. See you on the other side, brother

For the media :

less strict grading system ? i mean anything i posted so far got a decent amount of money for it. I believe it's fine as it is. Bonus, now we can discust. The bonus are handed out at the grader's discretion which shouldnt be the case. I believe every bonus' criteria should be clearly indicated by the media team so people could try to reach them. (ex more pictures, more interactive, good story ... etc)

For the rookie i'd say Xander Green. He's currently leading the rookies by 4 points and he's playing on a strong team. I dont see him slow down his production.

[Image: Evok.gif]

[Image: merha.gif]

- Who's your early prediction for the Jesster Trophy (rookie of the year)? Justify your choice.

It's hard to bet against Xander Green right now. He's averaging a point every game and is playing on a strong New England team. He's getting 2nd line minutes centering Dieter Dominique and Patrikov Bure, as well as some power play time.

A dark horse to win it however could be Matthew Auston. He has yet to register his first SHL point, but he's playing on the Panthers who have struggled out of the gate. He's a very talented player, so it's possible that once the team starts to find it's game, his production will pick up quite a bit.

[Image: cWxBbhu.png]
Sig by Wasty and Copenhagen.
Former GM: [Image: bhn88m.png]
[pbhfx]

[/pbhfx]
[Image: 7MO9RpC.png] | [Image: gs89eGV.png] |  [Image: gdppv5N.png]
Affiliates:[Image: 2ugjkte.jpg] [Image: bhn88m.png] [Image: e8s6jq.png] Former Affiliates: [Image: xaoosh.png]

Media grading has always been a bit of a tricky topic on the site. Give your opinion on the current system. What do you think should constitute a media bonus? Should we move towards a less strict grading system?

Currently, there's no reason to spend time coming up with a creative backstory for your player when you can just write a recap of your last weekend, but instead of your name, you put your player's name. Troll media should be punished, not rewarded.

[Image: dannymethane.gif]
[Image: DrbPYHV.png][Image: UDyqktK.png]
[Image: S7jeR9I.png]

Quote:Originally posted by Evok@Aug 18 2017, 07:45 AM
For the media :

less strict grading system ? i mean anything i posted so far got a decent amount of money for it.
I mean you wrote 25000 words so yeah you got paid Tongue

But most people aren't going to do that, and most people don't need that much cash. Media needs to look for quality more than quality.

júnior Guarda
Throat Goat

Quote:Originally posted by DannyMethane+Aug 18 2017, 10:51 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1' id='QUOTE-WRAP'><tr><td>QUOTE (DannyMethane @ Aug 18 2017, 10:51 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Media grading has always been a bit of a tricky topic on the site. Give your opinion on the current system. What do you think should constitute a media bonus? Should we move towards a less strict grading system?

Currently, there's no reason to spend time coming up with a creative backstory for your player when you can just write a recap of your last weekend, but instead of your name, you put your player's name. Troll media should be punished, not rewarded.[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-Loco@Aug 18 2017, 10:52 AM

I mean you wrote 25000 words so yeah you got paid&nbsp; Tongue

But most people aren't going to do that, and most people don't need that much cash. Media needs to look for quality more than quality.
[/quote]

I'll quoe both of you right now cause my question is kinda related :

What is a troll media ? what define quality ?

The media team want the users to be active no matter what the subject is tbh and i can see the reason. If we cut lets say everything creative to focus on stats and researched media, WAYYYY less person would do it.

This is a subjective matter that can't really be checked. For exemple, what if I believe what i did this weekend would also be what my player could be doing in a weekend ? it's my player, i am suposed to be the one knowing their personallity, so it's totally possible, but then it could be concidered as a troll media ?

Yeah, going off of what Loco said, I think media can get kind of tedious. I realize there are other ways to make money on the site, being it jobs or what have you. But I think media bonuses could be a little more generous. SHL can get expensive, and while I think the prices for training and equipment are fair, it may be difficult for someone who doesn't have the time or the ability to have a job on the forums to bank enough cash to buy equipment every season.

[Image: cd6sM5U.gif]
arigato to everyone for the dope sigs <3

| Updates | Player Page |

Quote:Originally posted by Evok@Aug 18 2017, 07:56 AM

I'll quoe both of you right now cause my question is kinda related :

What is a troll media ? what define quality ?

The media team want the users to be active no matter what the subject is tbh and i can see the reason. If we cut lets say everything creative to focus on stats and researched media, WAYYYY less person would do it.

This is a subjective matter that can't really be checked. For exemple, what if I believe what i did this weekend would also be what my player could be doing in a weekend ? it's my player, i am suposed to be the one knowing their personallity, so it's totally possible, but then it could be concidered as a troll media ?
Troll media isn't a thing lol, no one should be punished for writing something. I just mean if someone does stats analysis or whatever they should be rewarded for extra time spent.

júnior Guarda
Throat Goat

Quote:Originally posted by DannyMethane@Aug 18 2017, 10:51 AM
[b]Media grading has always been a bit of a tricky topic on the site. Give your opinion on the current system. What do you think should constitute a media bonus? Should we move towards a less strict grading system?

Currently, there's no reason to spend time coming up with a creative backstory for your player when you can just write a recap of your last weekend, but instead of your name, you put your player's name. Troll media should be punished, not rewarded.[/b]

What would you define as troll media? In this case, I wouldn't really look at the people submitting the media as the source of the issue; look at the system itself. You cant blame people for abusing a broken system. As the saying goes, don't hate the player, hate the game.

Quote:Originally posted by Sleepy@Aug 18 2017, 08:02 AM

What would you define as troll media? In this case, I wouldn't really look at the people submitting the media as the source of the issue; look at the system itself. You cant blame people for abusing a broken system. As the saying goes, don't hate the player, hate the game.
The only thing I can think of that was troll media was blue bull's classic but it's probably my favorite media I've seen so far

júnior Guarda
Throat Goat

Quote:Originally posted by Loco@Aug 18 2017, 11:06 AM

The only thing I can think of that was troll media was blue bull's classic but it's probably my favorite media I've seen so far

blue bull is a legend :lol:

Quote:Originally posted by Loco@Aug 18 2017, 10:52 AM

I mean you wrote 25000 words so yeah you got paid&nbsp; Tongue

Unfortunately a lot of people get disenchanted on the media side of things. I personally enjoy writing BS for SHL cash, but I know why people don't.

I still think that articles that require thought, creativity and effort should be compensated more than game summary type articles.

Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights
[Image: VZtEodi.png]
[Image: 1n0REYx.png]

RIP Dangel. See you on the other side, brother

Quote:Originally posted by Loco@Aug 18 2017, 11:01 AM

Troll media isn't a thing lol, no one should be punished for writing something. I just mean if someone does stats analysis or whatever they should be rewarded for extra time spent.

Ahhhh yes i get your point now then. It's true that someone who spent time analysing and gathering data could use a little bonus as all their hard work isnt apparent.

So it's more a fact that 'research and alalysis' should be rewarded over a 'quality vs quantity' matter.