Create Account

Renegade Interview

( Article shared with SLM)

Welcome to Renegade weekly, the Sports talk show that keeps you up to date with all the Renegade news! As we quickly approach the midway point of the season, we touch base with two Texas Renegades Prospects. Both Walter Hobbs and Ian Essellemm are here in studio. Essellemm had a slow start to the season but now has 11 points in 20 games. He has 6 goals and 5 assists. Hobbs numbers change from game to game, 11 wins in 20 games is nothing to scoff at, his .906 save % and 3.16 G.A.A are in line with being a rookie but he is still among the top 10 goalies in the league.

How are you enjoying your rookie season in Texas?

Hobbs: Honestly, i feel like i’m still adjusting to life in Texas. Coming from Montreal, the fans are a little crazy there. I Dallas fans are a little different. If we were in this position in the standings while in Montreal, the fans would be going crazy with excitement. Here the fans are really excited but it’s with tempered expectations. They know that we are young and in transition yet the excitement in the air every time we play at home is incredible. the transition from SMJHL to the SHl has been trough. We played in then finals that went to 7 games, then I bought my house here in the offseason and i’m still getting used to that. From there it was off to the WJC and making it to the finals there as well. so much has happened in such little time.

Essellemm: I'm really enjoying this season. The guys in the locker room have been super welcoming. Finally getting to play on the same team as these guys who I've gotten to know since I was drafted is awesome

Coming up to the midway point, what are your expectations for yourself and the team?

Hobbs: I don’t really know. I don’t think as a team we all thought we would be doing so well. At this point i expect to be a playoff team, but this is the SHL and the race is close. Winnipeg, who should be a playoff team in my books, are 2 points out, Seattle is 3, San Francisco is 4 so we are not in the clear by any stretch of the imagination.
As for myself, I would like to be under 2.5 Goals against and somewhere around .910 save percentage. I got my first shutout against Edmonton and i would like a second and third so i’ll go with that list.

Essellemm: My expectations for myself is to keep getting better. I'm leading SHL rookies in goals and I want to just keep getting better. The team is doing well, and I expect us to just keep improving.

Playoff hopes?

Hobbs: Definitely. Every team has playoff hopes to start every season. Unless you play to be rebuilding or retooling, which is what we were supposed to be doing then yes playoff hopes are always a yes. At this point if we can keep up what we are doing we should be. It’s fun to see Essellemm, O’Sullivan and Petrikov having this kind of impact already. If the rookies can keep this up and even increase production a little then we should be a playoff team.

Essellemm: Coming in to the season we were not expected to do much of anything. We basically had a bunch of old guys and a bunch of young guys. Now that we're in playoff position I really want to make the playoffs. To do that now, would be amazing.

Which player has impressed you the most in Texas?

Hobbs: Believe it or not but Mikhail Petrikov has impressed pretty much everyone. The rookie D man has 13 points in 20 games. It’s impressive to see a rookie adjust that fast to the SHL. The rookies i’ve noticed that are up there in points are all forwards so it’s nice to see our rookie Defensemen up there. Essellemm has always impressed me since we got drafted. He was lights out for Kelowna last season. Even this season, i enjoy watching him score and lead rookies in goals. There’s also Horvat who leads the team in points, the guy is fun to train with, pushes you hard. Mostly Petrikov tho.

Essellemm: I have to answer this two fold. My linemate Vasily Horvat is awesome. He's been so great to play with on wing and his leadership and mentorship ahve been great. Additionally I have to say Walter Hobbs. That guy has always been impressive in the junior league, but for him to do what he's doing in the majors. That's incredible

Overall, what are your thoughts on the SHL as a league after playing in the SMJHL?

Hobbs: Very different. In the SMJHL everyone is in the same conference, there are only 8 teams and the non-playoff teams are apparent very early in the season and the top teams break away from the pack early on and stay way ahead. In the SHL everyone (except Manhattan this season) is in the playoff race past the midway points. There are no real run away teams until the 3/4 mark of the season.
The Competition in the SHL is much tighter, you can have a blowout game and get blow-out the next. It’s a different world.

Essellemm: The level of competition up here is so much higher than in the SMJHL. I kind of got bored in SMJHL playing three seasons there. I was coasting a bit during the regular season, but really stepped up my game during the playoffs.

Now that you are in the SHL, who would you consider is your biggest rival, team and player?

Good question. I’m not really sure on a personal level. Maybe Sebastien Primeau simply because he is another rookie goalie starter this season. His numbers are pretty close to mine. I’ve known him since the days of me backing up Cedric Moreau. He’s been good in Detroit and he looks like he’s doing well here. I just want to be doing better.
As far as team Rival, It’s hard to say. I’ve only played 20 games so i’ve seen Calgary 4 times, San Francisco 4 times, Seattle 3 times and Edmonton 5. It would be easy to say Edmonton just on the fact we’ve played them the most ( and I’ve shut them out). Talking to the guys Minnesota is the top Rival team for most. I don’t know all the teams because i haven’t faced them all yet so I’ll go with the rest of the team and say Minnesota with Edmonton a close second.

Essellemm: I have to really say that I haven't thought much about a rival yet. I've been focusing on getting better and worrying about myself. Though I do hate the Blizzard. Fuck those guys

We also have team GM Dankoa on the line, Dank, could you have imagined this kind of start and still being in playoff position coming up to the midway mark?

Dankoa: Nope, to be honest we figured 6th would be our finishing spot. We knew there would be growing pains and there would be a tough retool period for the Renegades. I’m incredibly happy to see our young guys playing so much better than we expected right off the bat.

What about the prospect pool? how do you guys feel about the future?

Dankoa: Well, the future looks really really good. We have Daniel Karelsson coming up soon and we can’t forget the two guys we just drafted in Harvey Danger and Nico Falk. Harvey was a guy we identified early as a must have and played that close to the chest. Nico Falk was just a God send to be there when he was. We thought for sure he would have been taken right after Danger but he was an obvious choice when he was still there. As for Karelsson, he’s coming along really well, we may get a look at him in a Renegade Uniform at some point this season or next.

Are the Renegades this season for real?

Dankoa: I hope so (laughter). In the SHL things can change so quickly but our guys have been playing pretty steady and consistent. from Hobbs to Petrikov to Dude to Essellemm to Durden, Horvat, hagan i can go on and on with the guys that have impressed us and lead so well. The future is bright for the Renegades and we may be contending sooner than everyone thinks.

Finally, We’ve heard through the rumour mill that JP, your assistant, is doing a charity fund raiser. Care to elaborate on that?

Dankoa: Ya sure, We were gonna send out the information this week. JP is a huge supported of ED. so the team decided to get behind him and support him in this. We are hosting the first ever Dunk the Junk Fundraiser where people can Dunk a naked JP, Beau Bent in A jock strap, a semi dressed Hagan, and the team Captain in full Renegade Uniform. Their choice, for a price. There will also be prizes, and give aways. So be on the look out for that!

Well that’s interesting, Any last words?

Dankoa: Ya, Proud of our guys. Their compete level is awesome and the locker room is alive. So to all our players and Prospects, remember, this season is all about the fu***** Renes!!!

[Image: 54855_s.gif]

Knights ||  Patriotes

Whalers|| Renegades ||  Patriotes ||  Finland

Renegades ||Militia ||Canada  

[Image: jearim.gif]

Great read man! This was a blast to do

Great article, nice to see you working together. It brings a tear to my eyes.

Renegades Renegades Renegades Renegades

[Image: horvat3.png]

Wow the fans really want to see a man who looks like Jabba the Hut naked

[Image: 8PlNwDd.png]

Renegades

[Image: VkRiFym.png]

[Image: dankoa2004.gif]

07-26-2018, 01:27 PMJumpierPancakes Wrote: Wow the fans really want to see a man who looks like Jabba the Hut naked

You are beautiful. Dont talk bad about yourself. You are the only JP for me!

[Image: horvat3.png]