Create Account

Rating the S8 NWJHL Junior Draft

Thanks to joecool37 for the idea for the article

[Image: 5ze1dy.png]

Rating the S8 NWJHL Junior Draft

Welcome all NWJHL fans! The playoffs are currently underway and we are soon to find out who will be the best team of S8 in the NWJHL but tonight we are going to see who were the best team in the first 5 rounds of the draft. We are going to look at each draft pick in the first 5 rounds and choose how they were after the draft. The main factors for this is how they performed this year and how they improved their player. The scale we will be using is:

Steal (only for the best pick)
Very Good Pick
Good Pick
Solid Pick
Bad Pick
Very Bad Pick
Bust (only for the worst pick)

1st Round

1st Pick - :battalion: - Harry Potter
Grade : Bust
Comments : Harry Potter was going into the draft looking to be an amazing player but he has not lived up to the hype. Potter only had 2 goals and 9 assist in 40 games even though he played on the 1st line. Potter has been almost invisible on the ice and has only been an average player for improvement. He can still be an SHL all star if he works hard but this year he hasn't been to promising.

2nd Pick - Knights - Matthew Ekblad
Grade : Very Good Pick
Comments : Matthew Ekblad has become one of the best defensive defenseman in the league even though going into the draft he was known as a offensive defenseman but Ekblad has shown that he is also very capable in the offensive zone. Matthew Ekblad has 1 goal and 15 assists in 40 games this year and was a +1 but he would shut down top lines nightly. As for player improvement Matthew Ekblad is well above average but the only downside is his weekly paid training that has been low but for sure will be capped by the SHL draft.

3rd Pick - Whalers - Grigori Pajari
Grade : Solid Pick
Comments : Grigori Pajari started out slow with Vancouver with only 5 goals and 3 assists in 25 games but then he was traded to the Los Angeles Archangels and really stepped his game up and had 5 goals and 6 assists in 15 games. For the 3rd overall pick I would think he would score more but he just had trouble getting points in Vancouver but the best part of his game if off the ice as he has improved his player and is soon to be capped.

4th Pick - :impact: - Josef Heiss
Comments : Josef Heiss has easily been the best goalie in the NWJHL this year. Heiss had a very impressive save percentage of .905 and goals against average of 2.07, These put Heiss 2nd in the league but what makes him better than the league leader in save percentage and GAA Steve Donovan is that Heiss has played 19 more games than him. Heiss is projected to be a franchise goalie and he has shown that he is capable to do it this season and has one of the best players to improve week after week. Currently Heiss is 2 points from being fully capped which he will receive after the first round of play-offs.

5th Pick - Falcons - Lance Uppercut
Comments : Lance Uppercut was the best offensive defenseman this year with 5 goals and 31 assists. He fit in great with the Detroit structure and was a big part on Detroit winning the East Division. The downside to Lance Uppercut is his player improvement, Uppercut has not shown any improvement besides team training camp.

6th Pick - Firebirds - Rayne Summers
Comments : Rayne Summers has shown that he was not a waste with the 6th overall pick in the draft. After 40 games Summers finished 5th in league scoring with 24 goals and 23 assists and has help a very good Prince George team win the West Division. As for player improvement Rayne Summers has improved his player weekly and is soon to be capped for the SHL draft.

7th Pick - :battalion: - Todd Brotuzzi
Grade : Bad Pick
Comments : For the 7th overall pick Todd Brotuzzi has shown some scoring ability but for a 1st rounder not as much as some will hope. Brotuzzi had 11 goals and 6 assists in 40 games and has had a very poor -22 plus/minus rating. Todd Brotuzzi has not improved much this season and has done no point tasks.

8th Pick - Firebirds - Willie Weber
Comments : Willie Weber has shown to be one of the best all round defenceman this year. Weber was ranked 2nd among defenceman in points with 4 goals and 31 assists. Weber has been the key to Prince George's success and has shut down even some of the best lines and has a very impressive +31 plus/minus rating. Weber is improving regularly and is soon to be capped in point tasks and weekly training.

2nd Round

1st Pick - Firebirds - Brian Wilson
Grade : Good Pick
Comments : Brian Wilson was a very good player for Prince George, after 40 games Wilson had 16 goals and 14 assists. Brian Wilson would be a much better player if he was consistently active but he is still a good pick and improves his player quite a bit.

2nd Pick - Whalers - Julien Marshall
Comments : Julien Marshall has been a good player for not a very good Vancouver team. In 40 games Marshall has 12 goals and 7 assists but is a bad -17. He is a great leader for Vancouver and improves his player a lot but is not quite capped yet.

3rd Pick - :patriots: - Dimitrius Zeus
Comments : Dimitrius Zeus is one of the very few bright spots for Washington. He is their leading scorer with 12 goals and 7 assists but has shown no improvement on his player at all.

4th Pick - Falcons - Lucas Smith
Grade : Steal (Bias I know but I am 2nd in league scoring and capped points after the first round)
Comments : Lucas Smith is the steal of the draft at the 12th overall pick. After 40 games Smith has a great stat line of 24 goals, 41 assists and leads all forwards with a plus/minus of 61, Smith also has 80 hits and 18 blocked shots. He has been apart of Detroit's top line that has dominated the league all season long. Smith has moved up in the rankings by increasing his player week after week and has completed all paid training and will finish all point tasks after the first round of playoffs.

5th Pick - Knights - Nick Bowman
Comments : Nick Bowman has been a solid pick and after a good start to the season with Kelowna after getting 6 goals and 4 assists in 14 games has really stepped up his game after being traded to Prince George and has earned 12 goals and 10 assists in 26 games. His weak spot is his player improvement, Nick Bowman has not shown any improvement since the start of the season.

6th Pick - :legion: - Camillo D'Antonio
Comments : Camillo D'Antonio has been a good pick for L.A. and has had a good stat line with 1 goal and 15 assists in 40 games but his plus/minus of -7 has not helped him. As for player improvement he showed that he is a active player and improved regularly but he has since stopped.

7th Pick - :impact: - Reese King
Comments : Reese King is a very good pick even though he hasn't had great stats. After 40 games Reese King has 4 goals and 11 assists but what makes him a very good pick is his player improvement. King has improved weekly, has done all the point tasks and should be close to getting to his cap

8th Pick - :battalion: - Valgard de Jong
Comments : Valgard de Jong has been the best player for the Boston Battalion this year, even though he is a defenceman he has led the team in points. After 40 games he has 11 goals and 14 assists but the downside to de Jong is that he has only improved his player at team training camp.

3rd Round

1st Pick - Whalers - Mika Brodin
Comments : Mike Brodin has been a solid player for a weak Vancouver team. Brodin has 4 goal and 12 assists after 40 games which puts him 6th on the team but Mike Brodin has not improved his player much besides earlier in the season.

2nd Pick - :legion: - Matt Wozniak
Comments : Matt Wozniak has had an okay year but it is nothing special, after 40 games he has 9 goals and 6 assists, 10 of those points he got playing for L.A. before getting traded to Vancouver. Wozniak started the season upgrading his player but does not improve anymore.

3rd Pick - :battalion: - Draco Malfoy
Comments : Draco Malfoy was a good pick in the 3rd round, even though he has not been able to get any more this year with 1 goal and 9 assists in 40 games and a plus/minus of -26 he has at-least shown improvement to his player and is almost capped.

4th Pick - Knights - Markus Backlund
Comments : Markus Backlund has been nothing but a star for his Kelowna Knights team. After 40 games Backlund has 24 goals and 22 assists and a plus/minus of 10. Backlund could of easily been the steal of the draft but the only problem is his lack of doing point tasks. Though he hasn't done many point tasks he still is all most capped for team training.

5th Pick - Falcons - Charlie Serpe
Comments : Charlie Serpe was a very good pick for Detroit and some were surprised he was even left at this point in the draft. Serpe has the 3rd best goals against average with 2.17 but like Heiss has played all 40 games so I would put them both ahead of Steve Donovan who has only played 21 games. Serpe is said to be the best goalie in the NWJHL draft behind Josef Heiss which is believable with his great stats and his player improvement which he improves week after week and is almost fully capped.

6th Pick - :patriots: - Jack Vessalius
Comments : Jack Vessalius is a solid for Washington and is there best player which isn't saying much. After 40 games he has 3 goals and 10 assists and he started the season improving his play, which he was the only one on the team to do so but has not improved in a while.

7th Pick - :battalion: - Max Biggavelli
Comments : Max Biggavelli was a a strong player on a weak Boston team. Biggavelli had 9 goals and 9 assists in 40 games and played solid for Boston but off the ice he started strong with improvement at the first couple weeks of the season then he stopped.

8th Pick - Firebirds - Brad Fisher
Grade : Very Bad Pick
Comments : Brad Fisher did literally nothing this year, he only managed to get 4 goals and 4 assists and had 23 minute in penalty even for his low amount of minutes. Fisher also never improved his player once.

4th Round

1st Pick - Firebirds - Lucas Chromiak
Comments : Lucas Chromiak also had a bad season for Prince George even though the Firebirds won the west. Lucas Chromiak had 3 goals and 9 assists and like Fisher never improved his player once.

2nd Pick - :legion: - Erik Cole
Comments : Erik Cole had an alright season with 9 goals and 7 assists but was invisible off the ice and never once improved his player.

3rd Pick - :patriots: - Ross Rhea
Grade : Very Bad Pick
Comments : Ross Rhea was a fighter but he didn't look like it very much, he had 7 fights total in which he only won 2. Rhea had 1 goal and 5 assists but also did not improve at all.

4th Pick - Falcons - Mark Malyckyj
Comments : Mark Malyckyj was a great pick for Detroit and finished the season 4th in scoring for defenseman with 2 goals and 27 assists. Malyckyj also lead the league in plus/minus with 70. He improved his player a lot but he slowed down and hasn't made much of an improvement in a while.

5th Pick - Knights - Alex Galchenyuk
Comments : Alex Galchenyuk was a great pick for Kelowna and started the season strong with them getting 17 points in 25 games. Then he was traded to Vancouver which he went on to be a point per game player with 2 goals and 13 assists in 15 games. The downside to Alex Galchenyuk is that he only improved his player at team training camp.

6th Pick - Whalers - Sebastian Poirier
Comments : Sebastian Poirier was not a good player in Vancouver with 1 goal and 4 assists and -11 plus/minus but was than traded to Kelowna where he had 5 assists in 15 games but most importantly was a +8. Sebastian Poirier was not improved his player besides team training camp and 1 week training.

7th Pick - :impact: - Cris Lakes
Comments : Cris Lakes is one of the best players drafted this late in the NWJHL. He is lighting it up in Montreal and fans are loving him. After 40 games Lakes finished the season with 13 goals and 20 assists. He is also active when it comes to improving his player and is closed to being capped.

8th Pick - :battalion: - Andrei Vasilevski
Comments : Andrei Vasilevski was a very good pick for Boston which have not helped him much with defense. Vasilevski is last in the league with a save percentage of 0.893 and 5th with a 2.55 goals against average. Andrei Vasilevski is great with improving his player but the only down side is that he has yet to do a point task.

*9th Pick - Falcons - Riku Showron
Comments : Riku Showron has taken the league by storm and has led the league all year in points with 22 goals and 28 assists. Showron was part of the big 3 in Detroit and helped them win the East but the downside to Showron is he only updated his player during team training camp.

5th Round

1st Pick - Whalers - Aira Clarke
Comments : Aira Clarke was a solid pick for Vancouver, he did good for scoring and ended the season with 1 goal and 17 assists but he never once improved his player.

2nd Pick - Falcons - Sven Deiss
Comments : Sven Deiss has had a great year with Detroit with 15 goals and 12 assists and has brought the depth Detroit needed to win the east. Deiss also has updated his player regularly but has slowed down a bit recently.

3rd Pick - :legion: - Chris Franz
Comments : Chris Franz has shown great play this year and finished the season with 5 goals and 15 assists. His player improved early on but stopped and has recently started to get better.

4th Pick - :impact: - Karsten Hansel
Grade : Solid Pick - Bad Pick
Comments : Karsten Hansel has shown signs of being a good pick for Montreal but he has also shown signs of being a bad, he finished the season with 1 goal and 8 assists but had a plus/minus of -3 and never once improved his player.

5th Pick - Falcons - Nicomachus Noel
Comments : Nicomachus Noel has shown his scoring ability with Detroit and finished the season with 12 goals and 14 assists. The downside to his game is he is yet to improve his player once.

6th Pick - :patriots: - Ogie Ogilthorpe
Comments : Ogie Ogilthorpe was a good offensive defenceman this year with 2 goals and 10 assists but had a very bad plus/minus of -44 on a horrible Boston team. Ogie Ogilthorpe was also no where to be seen when it came to improving his player.

7th Pick - :legion: - Thomas Greilinger
Comments : Thomas Greilinger started the season out with L.A. where he couldn't get anything going and only had 2 goals and 3 assists in 25 games but was than traded to Vancouver where he scored 4 times in 15 games. Thomas Greilinger never improved his player once during the season.

8th Pick - Firebirds - Jacob Ranson
Comments : Jacob Ranson first played with Prince George were he had some success with 2 goals and 15 assists but than was traded to Kelowna where he only had 1 goal and 6 assists in 26 games. Jacob Ranson has improved his player a bit but not consistent with it.

Code:
3051 Words

Nice article. Sorry to Boston for being a bust but I promise whoever takes me will have a much improved Potter! I don't have 20 mil in the bank for nothing... Or maybe I do.. I never spent it with Dar. Aggrieved

Quote:Originally posted by Munk@Jun 10 2012, 08:33 PM
Nice article. Sorry to Boston for being a bust but I promise whoever takes me will have a much improved Potter! I don't have 20 mil in the bank for nothing... Or maybe I do.. I never spent it with Dar. Aggrieved

IMO you are a bust in the NWJHL but you will be a star in the SHL.

Quote:Originally posted by Harr1son56@Jun 10 2012, 07:35 PM

IMO you are a bust in the NWJHL but you will be a star in the SHL.

Haha, we will see. I've been playing a lot better in the IHF so hopefully that's a sign of things to come. Thanks for the kind words, it's always nice seeing a new active guy around. You should definitely be picked early on I'm just saying nice things back now.

Quote:Originally posted by Munk@Jun 10 2012, 08:36 PM

Haha, we will see. I've been playing a lot better in the IHF so hopefully that's a sign of things to come. Thanks for the kind words, it's always nice seeing a new active guy around. You should definitely be picked early on I'm just saying nice things back now.

Haha, Thanks.

And I tried to be an unbiased as possible but its hard to be with my teammates.

Showron should've been the steal though, you should've been #2 best pick. Also, if you would've gone to 7th round, John Grossmann's would be the steal :D

Quote:Originally posted by Syckez@Jun 10 2012, 09:15 PM
Showron should've been the steal though, you should've been #2 best pick. Also, if you would've gone to 7th round, John Grossmann's would be the steal :D

Yeah but Showron has not been active at all. I was thinking of doing the full draft but by the 4th round it was kinda getting boring.

Nvm

[Image: 57879_s.gif]
[Image: 37742_s.gif]
[Image: jov7Yk9.png]

"“HA HA! THIS GAME WILL NEVER END! I POSSESS THE SOUL OF EVERY GOALIE ON TEAM B!! CREW 4 LIFE!! SIGN WITH EDMONTON FOR THE CUP!!!” cackled Belial as he placed a Fedora on his head."
SMJHL Commisioner S17-S26
Calgary Dragons GM S14-S23

Thanks for the comments on me and great read Wink

Quote:Originally posted by Harr1son56@Jun 10 2012, 09:18 PM

Yeah but Showron has not been active at all. I was thinking of doing the full draft but by the 4th round it was kinda getting boring.

Makes sence, I don't blame you. I wouldn't get past the third round.

Thanks for the mention. Good read.

Vadim Askerov Player Page
Vadim Askerov Update Thread

thanks for the kind words

Now how bout FAs? :D

Quote:Originally posted by Abdeezy@Jun 10 2012, 09:26 PM
Now how bout FAs? :D

I was gonna do FA I just don't know where I could find who was all signed late.

Quote:Originally posted by Harr1son56@Jun 10 2012, 10:28 PM

I was gonna do FA I just don't know where I could find who was all signed late.

Armin Brovalchuk /thts all B)

Srsly tho, check the media section i guess would be the best