Create Account

Gun Deck: Off season interview with Rex Kirkby

Thanks for tuning in to the Gun deck: official fan radio of the Anchorage Armada, I’m Richard Grundle and today we have Rex Kirkby on the show to give us the low down on the season just gone, the off season and the upcoming draft. Welcome Rex, how are you?

Yea good thanks, it’s a pleasure to be here.

Let’s start with the usual, how did you find your first season in the SJMHL?

Well it was a bit of an eye opener really. I got here thinking that I could rely on my skating and passing ability to cover up for other deficiencies in my game and it quickly became obvious that I was going to struggle. I didn’t score a point for thirteen games and at times it was difficult to maintain my positivity about playing the game.

What were the main problems?

My puck control was awful and I wasn’t responsible enough in my own end. 

You seemed to improve as the season went on though, what was the difference maker?

The GM was really understanding in Anchorage. In a lot of teams I might have had my minutes cut down or have been scratched altogether but at the Armada they made it clear that I was part of their project and they had patience with me. Who knows how it would have affected my development otherwise? 

We saw a number of the defensive rookies in teams around the SMJHL struggle for ice time, are you glad you were drafted to Anchorage?

Absolutely. I wouldn’t go anywhere else if I was given a choice. The locker room is always buzzing and we have a great blend of experience across the team. Jordan Von Matt especially has been a great source of information and advice for me as well as Mikhail Petrikov who used to play for Prince George and is now doing really well with Texas in the big show.

As a team how do you think the season went?

We had quite a few rookies to bed in and I think it definitely showed early in the season where we struggled for consistency and at times dipped below even playing 500 hockey. As we became more accustomed to the league we picked it up and ended up making a good run in the last fifteen games which allowed us to clinch home ice for the first round of the play offs. 

Cameron Carter went on a tear towards the end there…

Yea Cam seemed unstoppable. It was like the puck was magnetised to his stick and he was potting goals and assists from everywhere. He carried that form into the playoffs and we were unlucky that we ran into a hot goalie against Kelowna.

Before we get to the Knights’, how did you find your first taste of playoff action against Detroit?

Fantastic I got my first playoff goal in my first game haha! The series against the Falcons went well for us obviously which came down to us dominating our home ice.

The next round didn’t go so well thought, what was the difference?

We just never seemed to be able to get going. They scored first in three of the games and after having a perfect penalty kill against Detroit we were scored on time and again against Kelowna. 

You’ve expressed some dissatisfaction with the officiating since the series ended…

I was definitely emotional after we were swept. It felt like we couldn’t buy a call and every time we even brushed a Kelowna player the refs would whistle straight away. The penalty count was hugely lopsided and we were up against the wall and probably needed all the help we could get against a dominant Knights team. In the end we didn’t get it and it was a hard pill to swallow. Looking back it was an invaluable taste of the post season and I’ll be making sure that I build on it.

It must have made it easier that Kelowna went on to win the cup, surely it’s always better to lose to the eventual winner?

I hate losing! It doesn’t matter who it’s too its ultimately the result that matters most. Take nothing away from Kelowna’s achievement though, no one else has managed to win three in a row. 

You have world juniors on the horizon, are you excited for your first taste of international hockey?

Yea definitely. The British Isles have had good success recently and I want to be a part of that. There are also a number of top players from my draft year that will be on my team and it will be a good opportunity to get to know them better. 

Anyone in particular?

Leshaun King and I have had a few conversations but it will be good to get on the ice on the same side for once. Tig Murphy is also being highly touted at the draft so maybe I can learn a thing or two from him!

You guys have already been performing well in the exhibition games, are you anticipating a run to the finals?

We’re in it to win it for sure but you need to take it one game at a time and not get too far ahead of yourself. Otherwise you end up getting cleaned up by someone fancied less than you. Everyone at this level could be a future superstar but we can’t take anything for granted. We’ve shown some good chemistry so far and I’ve really thrived being on a line with Kiko Rytmeyr so full credit to the coach for putting us in a position to do well.

Rytmeyr and you are tipped to be going around the same point in the draft, have you any insider knowledge to give us?

I don’t know anything at all sorry. I’ve talked to four or five teams but it’s a big draft and you never know where you could end up. There is always surprises with people being picked early or slipping unexpectedly. Outside of the top three to five it’s generally pretty difficult to pick it accurately and more so with so many good prospects available.

Staying tight lipped then, maybe you have a preference where you end up?

I’m not making any come and get me statements to teams. I love playing hockey and as long as I get a team that needs me I’ll be happy and work my arse off to get better every day. I’m not out to make enemies in this league by saying I won’t play for someone or be pack a sad if I don’t end up somewhere specific. Careers are long and teams have ebs and flows, my aim is to make any team that selects me better in the long term.

You are certainly confident, will you be demanding direct entrance into the SHL?

No, if anything I want to stay and help Anchorage bring home a cup. The fans were nuts last year and it really hurt the team to exit the way we did. Kelowna are probably going to fall off this year and all of us rookies on the Armada will be better next season so hopefully we can go a couple better and win it all. Looking at the guys playing for the big teams it would be real difficult to step up and do myself justice. I’m sure there will be conversations with anyone that drafts me and a plan put in place, no team is identical to any other and needs or expectations will vary. 

We’re coming towards the end of the interview, just a few more questions. How will you be spending tomorrow before the draft?

Up early like always. Hit the gym to knock out any excess nerves and energy then I’ll be meeting my agent at the airport for a flight to the draft where I’ll be meeting up with my family to have lunch. Then we’ll head to the draft to hang out with the other rookies before the event kicks off.

Must be nice to have your family over from London?

I’m a very relaxed person but even I get nervous before these kind of things so it’ll be great to have mum and dad there. They’ve travelled back and forward quite a bit throughout the season and it has really helped me settle in. I know they’re super proud of me and dad is probably even more hyped up than I am.

That’s great. Well that’s all from us, good luck at the draft tomorrow and thanks again for joining us on The Gun Deck. Hopefully we will have you back again next season?

Thanks, no worries at all. If I’m still around in Anchorage I’ll definitely be back.

1544 words.

[Image: 66624_s.gif]
[Image: 56096_s.gif]
Credit to Ml002, King, Wasty, Carpy, Bruins10, Rum_Ham, Turd Ferguson, Ragnar and Enigmatic for the sigs.
Forge Stampede Inferno Specters Wolfpack Platoon Armada Scarecrows Uk

Player page | Player updates
[Image: wMGKypg.png]

Hype keeps building.

Uk

[Image: giphy.gif]

Uk

[Image: 7eETdF8.png]
Falcons

[Image: giphy.gif]

Lets get this party started.

[Image: 66624_s.gif]
[Image: 56096_s.gif]
Credit to Ml002, King, Wasty, Carpy, Bruins10, Rum_Ham, Turd Ferguson, Ragnar and Enigmatic for the sigs.
Forge Stampede Inferno Specters Wolfpack Platoon Armada Scarecrows Uk

Player page | Player updates
[Image: wMGKypg.png]