Create Account

S44 First Round Pick - Already a FA?

As the Winnipeg Jets celebrate winning the cup, another SHL season comes to an end. So first and foremost, congratulations to the Winnipeg Jets. Moving on, every offseason we wait for SMJHL players to learn their fate. Some players knew from the beginning of the season that they would be staying down for another season of the juniors. Some players were bubble players - players who might make the jump to the majors next season or spend another season in the juniors. Then, there's the players who we all knew would make the leap to the majors - players who were so highly coveted that it wouldn't make sense to leave them in the minors any longer than needed. Players whose managers would do anything to make sure they had locked up for the future. Players that you would want to make a franchise around. Players who you would make sure never had the opportunity to approach free agency. That brings us to today's article.

After being drafted 11th overall in the SMJHL draft, and putting up a meager 8 points his rookie season, Montreal center Derek Bohne ended up being drafted 8th overall by the Minnesota Chiefs. From the initial reactions, the Chiefs seemed like they were excited to be drafting a player like Bohne. As soon as he was drafted, the management from the Chiefs went to him and locked him up for just one season.

As it turns out, that season is now over. Derek had a career year last season and is hoping to cash in big with the contract he's hoping to get from the Chiefs. While it's still unknown whether or not he'll be making the jump up to the majors, one thing is for certain - he isn't doigv it without a contract. With the start of free agency looming, there has been minimal talk between management and Derek. There is a qualifying offer on the table, sources say, but no one is aware of what that offer is with the exception of management and Derek.

Quite possibly the biggest issue right now is if another manager will step in and contact Derek during the free agency, which starts just hours from now. When asked about how he feels already hitting free agency in his career, "Well, I did want to try free agency at some point in my career. I figured I would have had some playing time under my belt and already established myself in the SHL, but it looks like that isn't gonna happen. I really do hope that the Chiefs and I are able to sit down and figure something out fast, though, they took a chance on me in the draft and I really want to show them I was the right player for them."

So now we wait. With a little more than 6 hours remaining until free agency opems as of writing this article, does any manager from the SHL come in and make an offer sheet on this unproven player who hasn't even laced up the skates in the majors yet? Could this all be some hype just to get some money so he can afford equipment and be even more valuable down the road? Is there already contract in place that is being held off on getting signed until media gets graded? Has this even hit 500 words yet? All your answers are coming soon. Tune in next time.

[Image: FJPVyys.png]

RFA status Wink

[Image: McZehrl.png]

Challenge Cup Wins:
S18 - Riot Seattle Riot (with Chris McZehrl)*
S23 - Wolfpack New England Wolfpack (with Chris McZehrl)*
S27 - Dragons Calgary Dragons (with VLAD McZehrl)
S34 - Rage Manhattan Rage (with VLAD McZehrl)
S37 - Jets Winnipeg Jets (with VLAD McZehrl)
S46 - Stampede Buffalo Stampede (with GOD McZehrl)*

*first ever Challenge Cup of Franchise History

Four Star Cup Wins:
S24 - Whalers Vancouver Whalers (with VLAD McZehrl)
S39 - Scarecrows St. Louis Scarecrows (with GOD McZehrl)

SHL Hall of Fame Members:
S24 - Chris McZehrl Platoon Panthers Dragons Riot Wolfpack *
(GP: 764 | G: 322 | A: 461 | P: 783 | +/-: +109)
S40 - VLAD McZehrl Dragons Riot Rage Stampede Jets Wolfpack *
(GP: 653 | G: 333 | A: 361 | P: 694 | +/-: +141)

*1st Ballot Hall of Famer

small note: GOD McZehrl played at first as Defender and later as Forward!