Create Account

Dekens Loses An Inspiration
(This post was last modified: 01-05-2019, 12:59 PM by monkey10pts.)

Coming off of his best season to date in the SHL, James Dekens goes into S45 with tragedy striking. On December 13th, 2018, Dekens future father in law, the best man he knew passed away unexpectedly at the young age of 55. The day was like any other, he went to the rink had practice with the boys, ate his normal Chobani yogurt and bowl of fruit for breakfast, had a Jimmy Johns sub for lunch, and had his post practice workout. He needed to keep in shape, S45 needed to be his year for the Richan. Dekens wanted it so badly. Engaged back in August of 2017, he wanted the long engagement to focus a little bit on playing puck and saving the funds to pay cash for their wedding. The year was about to be here. He just purchased a house in November after the season prior signing a slightly long term contract. Everything was going to plan, everything was good, everything was happy. That fateful day, it was cold, nothing out of the ordinary as Dekens resided in Michigan at the time. Just putting together grocery list as normal on a Thursday after getting paid the day before, Dekens was laying in bed when he got the call. 7:30PM. The phone rang, Dekens' fiance Kelsie answers, it was her older brother. Neither the normal nor out of it, though it did seem quite random at the time. Kelsie didn't understand her brother at first. Dekens figured it was the older brother's mumbly self. Kelsie looked at Dekens with the most shocked face he'd ever seen.

"What. My Dad's dead? My Dad's dead?"

"The rest of the night was kind of a blur," said Dekens, "I don't even really remember what came after that. We didn't know how to feel. There were tears, there were slight panic attacks, there was sobbing, and there were times you wanted to cry but couldn't. A numbness to it. Somehow by instinct we knew we had to pull ourselves together, make the two hour drive to Ann Arbor, and just be there with family."

Dekens described one of, if not the, worst nights of his life. It was stomach churning to take down, just to report. He was surprisingly quite open about it saying something along the lines of, "If you don't get it out you can't heal."

The two weeks following were dull and gloomy, not just because of the weather but life just seemed like it shouldn't go on. How was life still going on? Dekens had to go back to practice almost right away, he was almost lost on the ice. He couldn't think straight. He had to get away, he couldn't face this reality that life doesn't stop when someone you care deeply about does. His training was skewed, he knew he wasn't going to start S45 as sharp as he should.

"My work ethic definitely suffered. Probably gained a few pounds. Didn't have the motivation to go on. Everyone kept telling me that time heals all wounds, or it's all God's plan, and I just couldn't do it. I needed to get out for a few days." You could see the sadness in Dekens' eyes that day. He was by all means, just down.

Preseason started in a couple days and Dekens had to be ready. This was his job, this is life, he had to go on with his regular routine. Life had to go on and it indeed does. The season started, Dekens has 7 goals thus far, and every single one he scores goes straight up. There's no celly, there's not much celebration, just a point straight to the heavens, fist bumps along the bench and right back to it.

Our hearts here at the Manhattan Magazine go out to James Dekens and his family and we wish him the best in the coming months.

I'm sorry for the down article guys and if there are any mistakes, I just kind of went and I felt I needed to get this out during this time. Who better than to a bunch of people that I look forward to hanging out with on a daily basis in this forum. The Rage guys have been like family during these hard times, and have been there for me through inconsistent updates and my time spent elsewhere. I love you guys, thank you.

I wanted to dedicate this article, though he would've just called me a fucking nerd and been over it, to Terry. I loved you like my own father, and really that's what you have been to me since I started dating my fiance almost 5 years ago. You are the best man I have ever met and you will be sorely missed. Love you Terry. Rest in peace dude. Go Green.

[Image: dEKENS.png]

3 time Four Star Cup Champion S40-S42
S43 Jesster Trophy Nominee Winner

Scored my first SHL goal in just my second SHL game. 2. Manhattan Rage , James Dekens 1 (Mikael Talo 1, Sigurd Hansen 1) at 18:39

Oof, sorry to hear that man. Glad that Manhattan has been there for you during it all. People say this is fake hockey, but we're all real people behind our players and our usernames. I hope you and your family are able to heal.

[Image: FJPVyys.png]

Damn.... Sorry to hear about your loss :(

Sorry for your loss man.

[Image: lebbish.gif]

Sorry to hear this buddy :( best wishes to you and your family

[Image: VkRiFym.png]

[Image: dankoa2004.gif]

Appreciate the kind words guys. SHL creates somewhat of an escape for me and I appreciate it for what it is. Yall are great.

[Image: dEKENS.png]

3 time Four Star Cup Champion S40-S42
S43 Jesster Trophy Nominee Winner

Scored my first SHL goal in just my second SHL game. 2. Manhattan Rage , James Dekens 1 (Mikael Talo 1, Sigurd Hansen 1) at 18:39

Dude, so sorry for your loss. I'm sure it took a lot for you to post this. I can empathize with using this place to get away from really big RL problems. Hang in there, man. Cheers

So sorry about your loss, I hope writing that was cathartic in a way, it was an awesome tribute. Sending positive vibes from the SHL community!

[Image: 66818_s.gif]