Create Account

Raptors HQ: Five Questions for Raps D Eric Vanderberg

[828 Words]

Raptors Raptors Raptors Raptors Raptors Raptors Raptors Raptors Raptors Raptors Raptors Raptors Raptors Raptors Raptors Raptors Raptors Raptors Raptors Raptors Raptors
[Image: cut.jpeg]

As the playoffs approach, Colorado Raptors' Defenseman Eric Vanderberg is nearing the end of his first professional season as a member of our Colorado Raptors. This year for 'Fan Appreciation Day' we had a chance to sit and ask one of the newest Raps about his first season, the highs, the lows and what role he sees for himself next season.

Raptors HQ: After a quick start to the season the Raps currently sit in 7th in the league, one point behind last year's champions the St. Louis Scarecrows. Even though every team is making it to the playoffs due to the expansion, if this were last year we would be right back in the same position as last year in fighting for a playoff spot. In your opinion, what can the team do better to improve the position in the standings?

Eric Vanderberg: Well for one, we are a team with a lot of rookies. There's I think 13 or 14 of us, all of us trying to prove ourselves and find our feet. Considering that there are so many rookies and we are holding our own is a great feat in of itself. The Veterans are working closely with us to improve our game and our coaches drill us over and over to work out the mistakes and kinks in our game. What we can do better as a team is not let the other team get under our skin, concentrate on discipline and keep our Penalty Minutes down. Let them make the mistakes.

RHQ: You scored your first goal on the 41st day of the Season. What did you do to celebrate and did you expect to take you so long to score? 

EV: Obviously you'd like to pull a Lemieux and score on your first shot, first shift in your first game. But I knew it would come eventually. I had I think like 9 assists already, so it wasn't like I was hurting for points. But I am definitely glad to get the monkey off my back. As far as celebrate, I took the guys who assisted on my goal, Volo [Konstantin Voloshin] and ZZ [Zivan Zidek] out to a steak dinner. Their great teammates and I definitely couldn't have done it without them.

RHQ: You're a young guy, just about to turn 17 and your 3,000 miles from home. Have you made any close friends on the team?

EV: Well we are a close knit team anyway, were all young guys as I said most of us are rookies. But if I had to pick just one guy as a close friend, I would wager Cass [Raptors Captain Cass Darrow] and I are pretty close. We are on the Powerplay together, I go to every one of his optional extended practices. He pushes me to my limit and to be a better player. He also makes sure I stay grounded and focused. He is definitely a great friend and an amazing Captain and we will definitely miss him when Buffalo calls him up.

RHQ: The season is winding down and the playoffs are approaching, after that the SHL Entry Draft. You're a middle of the pack prospect now but you'll be draft eligible in S46, has anyone approached about drafting you? Do you think you'll go up to the SHL next year or do you see yourself back on the Raps?

EV: I've heard from a couple of teams, you know there's always scouts at every game. They always check in, ask how you are, where do you see yourself, that kind of thing. I don't think I've gotten any concrete offers like come play for Toronto or Manhattan or San Francisco but its nice to see that these scouts value what I could bring to their team. Of course its my dream to play in the SHL and I am working every day toward that goal but whether I play in the J next year or the show is up to whomever takes a chance on me, regardless if I am back here or there I am going to work my hardest day in and day out for my team.

RHQ: You wear number 89 on the Raptors, any particular reason why 89?

EV: I always had a soft spot for Alexander Mogilny growing up, he was my favorite player as a kid and he wore 89. So when I got to mite hockey, it was the number I knew I wanted. So I wear it in tribute to him.

RHQ: Thanks for joining us Eric and good luck on the rest of the season and the playoffs. Go Raps!

EV: Thanks, we hope to make you all proud of us. Go Raps!

Great article!

Glad you buried one. Best of luck in the draft and with your career!

Cheers

[Image: Piastri2.png?ex=65ba64d4&is=65a7efd4&hm=...462889f09&]
[Image: or8VMxO.gif]

01-17-2019, 11:49 PMvbottas17 Wrote: Great article!

Glad you buried one. Best of luck in the draft and with your career!

Cheers

Thanks kindly Smile I hope you come back soon!