Create Account

Winnipeg Jets make shock pick and take Nick Brain 11th Overall.
(This post was last modified: 02-17-2019, 10:09 PM by StadiumGambler.)

(Word count is 1167. Not sure if this still counts for 2x Draft bonus but if not no biggie.)

---

The Winnipeg Jets made a bold gamble at the SHL draft. So bold that the person they were betting on didn't even know about it.

With the 11th pick in the first round of the S46 Entry Draft, the Winnipeg Jets selected Colorado Raptors Right Winger Nick Brain, a power forward from Shrewsbury, England who came to North America to kickstart his journey on the road to the SHL. This was seen as a surprising move amongst many analysts, who had Nick Brain lower on their draft board, and a surprising move to Brain himself, who was seated in the crowd but did not expect to be called for quite some time.

"I knew the Jets and several other teams were interested." said a bewildered and overwhelmed-looking Nick Brain. "But I thought it was for the 2nd or 3rd rounds. I didn't think I'd move that high up. Then I got the call literally right as they were walking up the podium, saying its gonna be you. That stunned me!"

It stunned the Jets contingent that descended upon Edmonton to see who their rumoured new franchise forward would be. The reaction was decidedly mixed amongst the Jets faithful, with a few boos sprinkled in as a shocked Brain held his jersey up for the cameras onstage.

"We could've gotten Mike Scarn, we could've gotten Michael Fox, we could've gotten one of the Kelowna boys, and instead we got.......some guy? Whats going on?" said one particuarly confused fan.

Winnipeg Jets GM and defenseman Gary Grease defended the move in post-draft interviews.

"We had it on good authority that Brain could be taken by either Tampa Bay or Calgary.......I believe Buffalo and New Orleans were in the conversation as well. We knew we had to pounce on this. Nick Brain might have one of the highest ceilings in the draft out of the forwards left, so he had to be the pick. The Jets fans may not understand this pick right now, but its an investment into our future, and maintaining the long-term winning culture that the Jets have enjoyed in the SHL over the years."

While it was agreed that the Jets needed to pick a forward, analysts and fans alike thought Nick Brain's teammate Michael Scarn was the correct pick. However, he proceeded to take a bizarre freefall through the board, being passed on by several interested teams until he fell right back into the Jets lap for a round 2 selection. Scarn was taken to join his teammate, and got a significantly better crowd response from the Winnipeg contingent as he stepped up to grab his jersey.

Nick Brain didn't let the crowd response put him out too much though.

"I can kinda get why they were surprised and maybe down on me cause I wasn't what they expected, believe me. I was just as surprised as they are. But I know them booing me is a temporary thing. Once I get the chance to put on that Jets uniform and show them what I can do, they won't remember that they booed me."

Part of what made Nick Brain's selection surprsing was his performance for the Colorado Raptors in his rookie season. Brain bounced around on the bottom 6 and registered just 7 goals and 6 assists in 50 games, averaging around 10-12 minutes per game with no special teams time. The Raptors coaching staff had high hopes for Brain, who they drafted in the 3rd round, but they wanted to ease him into the roster before preparing him for a bigger role.

That bigger role came in the playoffs, where Nick was given more ice time in the wake of suspensions to key players in Zivan Zidek and Konstantin Voloshin. Nick made the most of it, and while he experienced a point drought in the Raptors semifinal exit to the Detroit Falcons, Brain still ended up with 6 goals and 4 assists, most of them coming in the Raptors wins over the Lethbridge Lions and Anchorage Armada.

Nick Brain was then invited to the SHL Draftee Showcase, playing for Team World under the legendary coach Anatoli Terrorov. He was was promptly put on the first line with his junior (and now pro) teammate Michael Scarn and Kit Smeb (brother to several of Nick's teammates). The line gelled instantly, and Nick ultimately contributed 4 goals, 3 assists, and a tough presence to Team World in the 7 game series. He also acted as a policeman for certain teammates involved in some grudge wars with the rival North Americans. Nick butted heads with players such as Troy Reynolds and the cult-favourite Kelowna line, and didn't back down an inch. Nick also got a chance to engage in a battle with his nemesis Dan Curry, the coach of Team North America and a frequent critic of Nick's on TV.

Nick's performance left enough of an impression that he was selected to represent the British Isles in the currently ongoing IIHF World Junior Championships. Brain has struggled, with no points in 6 games and only 3 assists in 9 exhibition games, but has earned praise for his toughness and work ethic amongst British officials, who insist they're happy with the power forward and expect him to be a staple of the national team at both levels for years to come.

Even with all the positives considered, Nick was projected to be a middle 6 forward at best in the SHL. So what exactly did Winnipeg (and the other teams rumoured to be interested) see in him?

"His work ethic is impressive." said Gary Grease. "From everything we learned about him from Colorado and our own sources, hes the guy that gets better with each practise, the guy that strives to improve every time his skates touch the ice. He's said to be a quiet leader amongst the rookie core they built there from their deep draft. Hes stepped up in a number of big-game situations during his career, he'll stick up for his smaller teammates when necessary. He has the size and raw tools to play this game, and hes willing to build on everything he doesn't have. If things go right for us, and go right for him, we've got our future first-line Right Winger."

Nick and his teammate Michael Scarn are not currently expected to be called up for their rookie year, and are expected to be returned to Colorado after getting some ice time during the Jets training camp. At this point however, Nick is simply thrilled to be here.

"I'm just happy to get the chance. If I get called up late, I get called up late, I just hope to make it on the Jets someday and win a Cup with Scar [Michael Scarn]. It'll be a fun ride with the Jets!"

[Image: 0K3YdqN.png]

Agent of Nick Brain: Center/Right Winger - Winnipeg Aurora
Agent of John Torrance: Advisor to the General Manager - Winnipeg Aurora
Agent of Anatoli Terrorov: Head Coach - Colorado Raptors

Nick Brain Player Profile: http://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=91326
Nick Brain Update Thread: http://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=91332

Jets Jets Jets

[Image: SigStorm.png]
[Image: QHLWtic.png?1]
san francisco group of cats - mikael koskinen
quebec city citadelz  - mikael koskinen

Gojets Gojets

[Image: bonk.gif]
Sigs by @FlappyGiraffe,  @Steelhead77,  @ToeDragon84, @slothfacekilla, @Wasty and other dude I need to find your name

Lil' Manius

Big Manius

Nick Big Dick Big Wallet Big Brain Brain

[Image: On57CfR.gif]
  Knights Usa Stampede Patriotes Inferno Argonauts Aurora Renegades Stampede   

I want addresses of everyone who booed godamit..

Definitely still double money, keep getting rich.

[Image: 4sN9yMR.png]

Those fans don't know what they're talking about! Gojets

[Image: wMFFUe4.gif]

Barracuda S56 1st Overall Barracuda

Gary Grease Career Stats: Click Here
Graphics Shop: Click Here

[Image: CsnVET2.png]  Barracuda Russia Barracuda  [Image: c8B2LE3.png]