Create Account

Saloon Spotlight 2: From the Emerald Isle to Orange County
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2019, 08:16 PM by SpartanGibbles.)

For our second Saloon Spotlight we take a look at the Irish ninja prospect Yoshimitsu McCloud (@Thunfish). McCloud declared for the SMJHL after the Season 45 SMJHL draft and was a free agent for the season. After talking with GM Dangles they decided to sign for the California team. Yoshimitsu naturally plays on the right wing but is currently playing on the left side for the Outlaws. McCloud saw a promotion to the 3rd line this season after spending last season on the 4th line. Last season was not as productive for McCloud as they only managed to score 3 points in 32 games. They are off to a better pace  this season as they have scored 2 points in the first 4 games. Of the Outlaws, Yoshimitsu is known to drop the gloves and start a scrap. McCloud takes pride in his fighting ability. There were drafted 65th in the S46 SHL draft by the San Fransisco Pride. McCloud was also named to the S45 WJC British Isles Team, representing Ireland.

Outlaw Observer Press: As a prospect that joined midway through the inaugural season of the Outlaws. How have your experiences been thus far?

Yoshimitsu McCloud: Pretty hyper! I thought this whole journey to America would end poorly, doesn't help that my parents kept telling me I should just stay at home and live off the wilderness like the rest of the family, but it's been pretty fun. I got to play my favorite sport, got to enjoy things that I probably would've never experienced back at home and to top it all off, I've gotten the opportunity to introduce people to my own culture. Really fun stuff!

OOP: You were not drafted to any team since you declared for the SMJHL post draft, what made you choose to travel from Ireland to Anaheim?

YMC: Well... my family was kind of isolated back in Ireland, so we didn't have contact with a lot of things. That said, dad taught us to use swords from a pretty young age. Once I actually attended a school, someone mentioned that ice hockey could use that sort of knowledge. So I trained on my own back at home and figured that one day, I'd make this hockey thing work out for me. I mean... Ninjitsu doesn't pay many bills these days.

OOP: You seem to be developing into a well rounded defensive winger during your time in the SMJHL. What role are you looking to fill upon making the jump to the Majors?

YMC: Honestly, at the moment, I've been improving with tips from the Pride office. I told them that I wanted to help out offensively as well, but for the time being, I imagine I'm going to focus at being a solid defensive aid. Plus, the rush of checking people and the eventual fight are just too good for me.

OOP: Anaheim was unable to advance past the first round during last season's playoffs. What are your goals for this season and where do you see the Outlaws finishing in the post season?

YMC: I imagine we'll do better than last season. We lacked shooting consistency from the few weeks I actually got to watch Anaheim play. This season, I'm actually playing from the start, so I hope to contribute more than what I did last season. It'd be good to impress my major team, but I also do wish to pay back with interest for any dime the Outlaws invested on me.

OOP: You went from undrafted walk-on to being picked 65th by the San Francisco Pride. How do you see your future in this league developing?

YMC: Well, I wasn't exactly expecting to be picked that high. In all honesty, I was kind of shaving a tree for some old lady at the time I got the call. Like I said before, I hope to make a proper career in hockey, so I do wish to play for a good long time at the SHL. Of course, seeing as the Pride drafted me, I plan to be very much loyal to them, as per the ninja traditions of the days of the Sengoku Jidai so... I hope a couple of cup wins? Could happen, right?

OOP: You were one of two of the 9 Outlaws from the last draft to have none of your teammates end up on the same team. How do you feel about joining a team without any of your current teammates following along?

YMC: It feels fine, to be fair. I'd love to have another Outlaw be in the Pride as well, but I do believe they picked the players they imagine would be the best fit for the organization. It'll be a bit... weird once we all get promoted but for the time being, I'd rather focus on being a good Outlaw. Hopefully, I won't break them up when I'm a member of the Pride. Well, not that much, at least. (laugh)

OOP: You have been noted by many for your unorthodox style and presence. How do you feel this adds to your game on the ice?

YMC: I guess you could say that I'm a bit dangerous to other teams on that regard. Since I'm so unique, it's a bit hard to predict me. In all fairness, this isn't really an act... I just act naturally and things sort of follow. My raising wasn't orthodox in the slightest. I still contact my family via letters, since they're not ones to meddle with technology like most of you folk do. In one hand, I do feel like my different lifestyle makes me want to play even better, since I don't want to be put as simply "that one guy with the mask". On the other hand, it's pretty fun to see Westerners deal with stuff like smoke bombs and kunai... The stuff I'm used to. So I guess you could say I'm having a lot of fun as well, which is really one thing that hockey could use.

OOP: You were named to the British Isles WJC team this past off season. How does it feel to represent your homeland in international play?

YMC: Eh... I dunno. My national allegiance is to Ireland, not to the British Isles. While I don't mean no offense to the United Kingdom and their players, I'm as Irish as Roy Keane. That said, it was a pretty nice experience and I do look forward to doing it for Ireland one day. Just hope they let me bring my stuff with me next time. Really missed my sword.

OOP: If you had to pick 3 teammates to bring with you on vacation, who would they be and why?

YMC: ... What's a vacation?

OOP: Outlungus the Desert Hare has been a fan favorite mascot since it's inception last season. What was your reaction upon the team's unveiling of such an absolute unit?

YMC: I wasn't really used to the idea of mascots, although my father did mention that in the past, he had to fight like a velociraptor/kangaroo hybrid. I'm glad that we have him, every team needs an absolute unit to form themselves around. Granted, our absolute unit is the mascot, so I don't think we can have him play for us, but hey, emotional support is much important!

That does it for our second edition of Saloon Spotlight. It has definitely been an interesting look at the winger McCloud. One would never expect to find an Irish Ninja playing hockey but the SHL is a league of wonders. We will see how Yoshimitsu continues to develop over the season. In our next edition we will look at the season 46 SHL prospect, Alternate Captain, and top pairing defenseman Mathias Seger.

Until next time, this has been your Saloon Spotlight.

Outlaw Observer Press

(Word Count 1305)

[Image: spartangibbles.gif]
[Image: qGhUIfY.png]  Outlungus   Usa Monarchs  [Image: PlcJv9V.png]

erm Emerald Isle..... No plural please.

[Image: 58170_v.gif]
[Image: 58170_s.gif]
Thanks to @Carpy48 , @sköldpaddor, @Weretarantula, @Bruins10  and @Wasty  for sigs
Extra special thanks to @Julio Tokolosh for the sick gif one

We think Yoshimitsu will be a fan favourite in SFP one day <3 Glad you've found or advice helpful as well Smile

Argonauts Stars Battleborn Czechia