Create Account

Saloon Spotlight 5: 2nd Overall Arrives in Orange County

We come into the 5th edition of the Saloon Spotlight as we look towards the new draft class. After last seasons early exit from the playoffs; The Anaheim Outlaws were slotted to pick 2nd overall in the Season 46 SMJHL Draft. After last season it was apparent the biggest gap going into the new season was defense. With that in mind the Outlaws selected Defenseman Corey Kennedy (@SDCore). Kennedy had turned heads with his performance on the Vipers in the Season 46 Prospect Showcase. Many teams assumed the Outlaws would not choose the first generation player, but GM Dangles saw a special spark in the play of this rookie. Kennedy scored at over a point per game pace in the 20 games they played in the showcase. They tallied 23 points during the exhibition round and 9 points over 5 games in the Showcase Playoffs. The Preseason was not as kind to Kennedy as they were only able to notch 5 points among the new level of play. Kennedy currently plays on Anaheim's second defensive pairing with Thomas Speardane.  

Outlaw Observer Press: You were taken second overall in your SMJHL Draft by the Anaheim Outlaws. How does it feel to be seen as such a highly sought after asset in the league?

Corey Kennedy: Crazy, absolutely bonkers. Came into the draft thinking I’d go late first/mid second. To be 2nd overall is humbling (incorrect use of the word I know). So happy to play for GM Dangles and be an Outlaw.

OOP: You have only been with the Outlaws for a short time but have show a lot of promise in both the preseaon and prospect showcase. How has it been adjusting to a SMJHL locker room? How have you been getting along with your new teammates.

CK: Promise in the preseason audible laugh. Yeah the Prospect Tournament went well, my preseason however did not, in my eyes. As for adjusting, honestly, my teammates have made the adjustment period non-existent. This LR has been nothing short of stellar. It helps that we are all young and trying to grow together. Being an expansion franchise is helping us all gel quickly and we want to win for each other not just for the name on the back of the sweater.

OOP: You are the second Irish player to join the Outlaws organization after Yoshimitsu McCloud signed last season. How are you adjusting to life in Anaheim after living across the world in Ireland?

CK: Adjusting, having Yoshi here has been a blessing. I can complain about not having rashers or pies and he gets it. When I say I miss the country, miss the dairy, miss my family, we just sit down and chat about home.

OOP: During the S46 Prospect Tournament you scored 23 points in 20 games, followed by 9 points in 5 playoff games. How do you think this experience has prepared you for play in the SMJHL?

CK: That’s tough, because I was riding a high coming out of the tourney, then bam, preseason and everyone is bigger. I think it showed what I am capable of. I got to see what the rest of the prospects were up to as well. Also, I think… at least I hope I made some friends in those games. The experience got me prepared to be a pro.

OOP: There was a report that you were nursing a hand injury through the preseason which lead to a decreased production. Was this true and how have you been working to move forward now that the regular season has begun?

CK: Kind of. I took a shot off the wrist in the showcase final. I didn’t feel off during the preseason, but I didn’t put a lot weight on my stick during that time. I was being cautious and that hurt my game. Lucky Dangles noticed it and helped me correct it before it became an issue.

OOP: You are currently situated on the second defensive pairing with Thomas Speardane. How do you feel you stack up against the other rookies both on your team and across the league?

CK: Great actually. Speardane has been kind of a big help for me. He’s been relieving some of the pressure I’ve felt early. I understand I’m not gonna crack the Top 2 with such players as Seger and Osbert just yet. I feel like being on the second pair has given me a bit more defensive responsibility and allowed me to move the puck a bit more freely. So far so good, as I believe I’m one of the top rookie scorers super early into the season.

OOP: In the 7 games the Outlaws have played you have tallied 3 points. How do you feel about your production so far and what aspects of your game do you feel you need to work on to take your play to the next level?

CK: I want to do whatever I can to help the team win. My tendency is always to push the play and get pucks to the net. So far it’s worked for me early on. I feel like if I keep working hard on my positioning and my skating I will excel as far as I want to.

OOP: You have been called a physical player standing at 6'4”, 205 lbs. How do you use your size advantage on the ice against your opponents?

CK: Being called a big bodied player is fairly new to me. I’ve never really developed the physical side of my game though I know it’s there. I use my size to keep pucks on my stick and to gain position a lot more than I do for sheer physicality.

OOP: It has been reported you are currently staying with current Anaheim player Collin Gibbles in his beach house in Seal Beach while you look for a more permanent residence. How has the hunt for a place to live been? How has living with another teammate been?

CK: Wow, have you seen Gibbles’s place? Seriously have you? I’ve been crashing in a spare spot there, though that’s to be changing here soon. Gibbles has been a gracious host and he never has a lack of beauties coming and going here. Couldn’t ask for a better roommate, though he is probably sick of me by now.

OOP: Outlungus the Desert Hare was unveiled as the mascot of the Anaheim Outlaws last season. How do you feel about Outlungus and do you have any fun moments with the mascot to share?

CK: After I scored my first goal in the league I remember Outlungus came over to the glass and bowed. I saw him and it distracted me. This caused me to topple over the boards and fall on my face onto the bench… needless to say my teammates won’t let me live that down.

And with that we close the 5th Saloon Spotlight. It was fascinating looking into the mind of a fresh player in the organization. We can't wait to see what type of player Corey Kennedy develops into. For our next spotlight, we will be looking at a mystery interviewee. They will still be associated with the Anaheim Outlaws organization. To find out, be sure to pick up the next copy of the Outlaw Observer and find out.

Until next time, this has been your Saloon Spotlight.

Outlaw Observer Press

(Word Count 1,234)

[Image: spartangibbles.gif]
[Image: qGhUIfY.png]  Outlungus   Usa Monarchs  [Image: PlcJv9V.png]