Create Account

S46 PT #4 - Discord Commissioner
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2019, 11:41 AM by DeletedAtUserRequest.)

As discord commish my philosophy would be to make sure im not implamenting anything that directly affects website usage, its important that discord compliments the website and understands that at its best it highlights whats going on on the site. but there are allot of things we can do that the site would never do.

but first id start with a complete reorganizing of the channells starting with deleting the clutter we currently have there. id look to add an 'SHL announcements' channel for the league hiarchy to post links to posts on the website and a league announcements forum for any of our users to post an article they want others to check out.

theres a music bot called rythem which i would use to create a music channell where everyone can add songs to play.. perhaps wed run some music stuff like DJ of the day or genre day. id implament the stat bots in its own channel so players can check out and show off there current numbers. There would be a memes channell where you can add them to your delight but wed run stricter laws on spamming them outside of that channel. id hire someone to organize the members into there correct teams in the main forum and id hire someone to be in charge of complaints or problems with abuse and may define those laws a bit more.

There are some ideas id test out like some official SHL discord weekly events.. but I dont think i am the most knowledgable discord member on the site so it would be important that i line myself up with a group of members who are active and engaged in discord to assign tasks to and pick there brains.

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

Woo, this is a tricky one.

All in all, I think I would keep a lot the same - one of the strengths of Discord and he way the SHL utilizes it, is that there is autonomy within the channels on a team by team basis. It gives each locker room a different feel to it, and allows teams to cultivate what kind of team environment they want depending on the variety and content of the channels there are. 

The major change I would look into would be a flair or some kind of set tag that indicates the user's player and team(s) they currently represent. The username as it is can be quite fluid, and it is difficult (especially for mobile users) to tell who is who on any given day. This change would also help new members get acquainted with experienced players, and keep track of who is who despite name or avatar changes without needing to hover to see the discord tag. This would obviously only need to be a change for the general SHL and SMJHL channels, as the team channels shouldn't need to tell you what team they are on (although it might help for alumni, but most team chats have coloured usernames to distinguish that.)

[Image: N8JhTE5.png]

Since I’m pretty new to Discord I wouldn’t know a lot of stuff to do but I do have some ideas. I would set up private channels for each team and appoint a few people to help me make sure that every player has the appropriate tag. Anytime that I’ve used Discord for anything like this I’ve never had to join multiple discord servers, I am currently in the 3, SHL, Panthers (my SHL team) and Outlaws (my SMJHL team) I spend the majority of my time on the other two servers. If there were dedicated chats for each team perhaps people would also be more active on the main server since their already there talking with their team.

There’s a lot of spam on the server I find which makes it difficult to get into conversations, a dedicated spam channel would help with that’s something I add. I also add a newbies channel with a few vets answering questions so new players have a place to talk and learn without having to look like idiots in the main chat. Thank you, Papa Bless
Since I’m pretty new to Discord I wouldn’t know a lot of stuff to do but I do have some ideas. I would set up private channels for each team and appoint a few people to help me make sure that every player has the appropriate tag. Anytime that I’ve used Discord for anything like this I’ve never had to join multiple discord servers, I am currently in the 3, SHL, Panthers (my SHL team) and Outlaws (my SMJHL team) I spend the majority of my time on the other two servers. If there were dedicated chats for each team perhaps people would also be more active on the main server since their already there talking with their team.
There’s a lot of spam on the server I find which makes it difficult to get into conversations, a dedicated spam channel would help with that’s something I add. I also add a newbies channel with a few vets answering questions so new players have a place to talk and learn without having to look like idiots in the main chat. Thank you, Papa Bless

184 words

[Image: Tr1OPGL.png]

As comissioner/czar of the Discords, I would first enforce the rule that your players name or website account name should be in your discord nickname and people constantly swapping their names so you don't know who the fuck you're talking to at any given point would be punished (nicely?). Furthermore, I would condense the international servers into one and have a country specific locker room regardless of regular IIHF or juniors because they're basically the same team anyway. I would try to reorganize the various discord servers to centralize more people onto one server. The current set up splinters the community into their own private niches (which is both good and bad in some cases), so trying to figure out a balance between centralization and independence while reducing the overall number of servers and channels that exist today. Discord is difficult to balance between freedom to enjoy yourself and the freedom from spam and general irritation.

[Image: Rq2Dtaw.png]  [Image: Anchorage.png]  [Image: PPpK5xb.png]

[Image: vE2xRO8.png]

PBE PT

[Image: bgwUtVZ.png]

Yanno, I used to think this league wasn’t completely FUBAR, but if we need a Discord Commissioner, I may have to admit this league has gone entirely to hell. And if we’re naming *me* that person, it’s an undeniable fact. Nonetheless, I will go about rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic, ensuring the band plays all the way until we hit Davy Jones’ locker. First things first, update the roles and emojis. I’m so glad we took the time to add a #smash-bruhs channel that would not show its age after just one month but the two people showing up online as “Jets” are my stupid ass and a dude who went to West Kendall in free agency. Not to mention seven of the team logos are outdated and there’s no representation whatsoever for our expansion teams.

Secondly, we’re getting rid of that stupid-ass #rules channel that literally nobody can see. And we’re unbanning McZ. Why was he banned? Did we ever get an answer on that? It’s not like he’s ever DDoS’d the site. Jiminy Christmas. Do I have to do everything around here?

Can we talk about this Smash Brothers channel again? My God, there’s already a gaming channel! I’m beating a dead horse, I know, but what actually?

I’d say add a TPE opportunities channel but literally every team Discord has it so now between the legacy of my first player and getting traded I already get reminded of every PT five times. This is why I’ve also muted every music channel. I only need to see what depressing song Jiggly is listening to once, thank you.

Lastly, and I cannot emphasize this enough, I will bend over, grab my ankles, and kiss my ass goodbye.

Zach Evans[/b] | Player Page | Update Page
Nikolai Evans
| Player Page | Update Page

With complete and unrivalled power in the SHL Discord Server, as the commissioner of the server, I'd probably lean towards being an inactive (or benevolent) piece of trash and letting the whole thing fall into shambles and utter anarchy. By banning all bots, and anyone who could challenge my power and authority, I'd also turn the server into a faltering dictatorship and crack down harshly on anyone who would comment on my commissioning abilities, especially if I hadn't had a coffee in the morning. I know, that makes absolutely no sense, I'm a nutcase.

Contrast to what I'd do, I'd also encourage memes and jokes to be spread around the server, constantly overtaking any form of serious discussion, whether if it's about sports in general, or more serious topics. Additionally, I'd also add a bot that would talk mad trash to whoever would have a "Vancouver Whalers" role, because real talk, no one likes the Whalers.

----164 Words----

PLAYER | UPDATE
[Image: BBr47PN.png]

[Image: m9F8nRF.png]

I am already the lord of Discord at the channel I made for my friend community so I have some experience at being the Supreme Leader. Most importantly it is to give admin to the people that will be very loyal to you, then you can truly have the control over the server. After that I have to add the meme bot that spams memes now and then from the top reddit channels. I would ask to find out which of the users are over 18 and create a NSFW channel, there are some good bots for that. Give them roles to check out nice pics. Also I'm not really into banning or kicking users, the best way to handle this on discord is to create a #shadowrealm server on which only the admins (since the role allows) and the bad boys have access to. In the end they're left all alone in suffering.

Japanese goaltender - Keisuke Suzuki

Japan Timber

Former winger for Chicago Syndicate - Romualds Loks

Latvia syndicate Militia

Also a SHL, SMJHL and IIHF Champion with Intars Ogle

Latvia  Steelhawks

[Image: b6RVUUV.png]
By teztify

I must saw I hardly ever use the SHL discord, but as the new appointed discord commissioner I would first delete half the channels. Most are hardly used and it just adds to the clutter. The second thing I would do is create an announcement channel where head office can post their announcements like jobs or changes in policy.

Also I would like to search for an opportunity to get a bot added to discord where people can maintain their updates and bank accounts. Simple commands can show someones bank account or adjust player stats after completing PT’s. It should make the job for updates a hell of a lot easier, but also for the average user. Right now I find that discord is not really complementing the site, but it’s just used as chat tool with your teammates. I’m not really sure what more could be done to accomplish this, but as discord commissioner I will push for multiple changes.

161 words

[Image: Katth.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]
Barracuda Germany Scarecrows Knights

[Image: cgv4vCv.png] [Image: 95lCCDx.png] [Image: GATPRRX.png]
S50 Challenge Cup Finals Game 7
[Image: gNFVjT6.png]

As with every single discord, cutting down on the number of channels and the overwhelming amount of uselessness in discord servers would be the first priority for me if I got control of the server. I think building some well defined and still general boxes for discussion is enough, as well as moving some of the draft discussion into the general discord would be an entertaining change. The discord drafts are some of the most entertaining parts of the league to be honest, and opening that to the public to have real time drafts would be a fun addition and could be easily done using roles on servers. In addition I would like to create some bots for the server that could help with moderating and provide deadlines for all current PTs or ACs etc. As well as able to notify the discord with a link when sims are done and able to pull results of the games. Having to go into the index is annoying and burns my data so being able to pull the results into discord through a bot would be my priority as a lazy quality of life change that could create some fun trash talk in a shared discord channel as we find out results in a shared space without needing to go into the index.

I don't have much experience with Discord in general so i am not sure if i would be suitable for being a Discord commissioner. I don't think i would change much to the channels and servers that now exist. I like the fact that there are different servers for each team locker room and different servers for each draft class. That said, one thing i would change is add a couple of rules to try to stop the constant spamming of nonsense from certain members. I understand people like to talk nonsense from time to time, but sometimes i feel that some members are deliberately doing it to annoy others. Also, if i would be a Discord commissioner i would probably award SHL money for presenting ideas for possible bots aswell as money for implementing those bots. Finally, i would probably add a channel that contains pins to important SHL or SMJHL topics, for instance links to the games index, luke's trade history / draft class tracker, offseason schedule, all announcements, etc.

Stars | Player | Update Thread | Gordie#6746 | Manual Lineup Sheet | HockeyNation | Grizzlies

Many older members have an unjustified bad opinion on discord, because they think, it would replace the forum. I say we use discord to enhance the forum and with that the overall experience on the site. There are things discord is simply better at an old fashioned forum. The two most important ones of these things are:

* locker rooms - people can tell me, they preferred the forum locker rooms, but I simply don't see it. I want a locker room to chat with my team mates. Having to refresh a website to see if anyone responded isn't very helpful to get a quick talk going.

* a place for quick questions for new members - While this forum is very America centric, there's always someone online and for someone, who just found this site and wants to know more about it, it's way easier to quickly hop into the discord server and ask, than looking for the right sub forum to post their question and then remember to come back after a while to see if there are any responses.

However, I wouldn't integrate the locker rooms into the main SHL server. It's better that every team organizes itself and has the different channels that the specific group wants.
To make sure the server is good at acomplishing the second point, the #general channel will have to be moderated and freed of spam. No one wants to ask a question when several users are just spamming nonsense. But I wouldn't want to ban all the fun from the server. That's why there would be a #spam or #memes channel. Those will keep the server active.
To increase the usefulnes of the discord, I'd also add a #scrapperbot channel to quickly look up players. Other helpful or just fun bots might get their own channels if the community wants them.

[Image: outlaws2.png]  [Image: switzerland2.png] [Image: monarchs.png]  Mathias Seger #15 | Player page | Update page [Image: outlaws2.png] [Image: switzerland2.png] [Image: monarchs.png]
[Image: Segi.gif] 
Sigs by Donini, RainDelay, Fever and OrbitingDeath

As Discord commish. I would be adding few bots to the discord. I would add PingyBot, because everyone loves pingy and his hilarious comments. 2ndly I would add emote collector. Since not everyone has money to pay for Discord Nitro this would be an amazing addition. I would also make a channel for Roles. Where you can tell what team(s) you play for so I would be able to add them. Also, I would remove Pokebot. I would also be making rules channel visible for everyone since I don't think anyone can look at it in the current official SHL Discord. I would also make Pingy a new role called "Pingy" and he would be free to make any adjustments he likes. Also, all the people that I hate or hate me, will be banned or given a role where they can only speak in General chat for few words per day

Finland Update Page  Interview  Player Page  Wolfpack

[Image: Snussu.gif]

Thanks to everyone made sigs to me!!!! (Gif made by myself)

The day I become Discord Manager is the day the SHL starts to become interesting to me again. First thing I would do is put an age limit on it, lets say 30 just to be safe. That would take the channels maturity to a level never before seen. Second I would ban all gifs and meme's, that will take activity down and the intelligence level up. We would see meaningful conversation and not 5k post a day of nonsense. We have a trend of new younger members and depleting number of adults. I blame the 12 year olds we have in charge as why we cant keep an aging population. If we had worthwhile and monitored Discord, I believe we would appeal to a larger age base. I could see that directly helping the site with more activity and a more mature user base to keep the site strong and moving forward.

[Image: c3936a1e67537ed2c9716b30ba8432ee.png]

BUBBA -- Roster===Updates

Bojo Machine
League of Accomplished Players
Player builder

As the new discord commissioner, there is a lot of cleanup and small organizational things that can be done, given the current state of discord is super bare bones. But the big, radical thing I would want to try is consolidate discord servers. Currently I'm in 6 SHL related discord servers and I've only been in the league for 3 months. I've been playing WoW for 11 years and I'm in 3. I see no reason, due to the robust nature of permissions, that couldn't be consolidated into a SHL discord server and a SMJHL discord server. In these discord servers, we would have our team locker room discord sections as they are now, and empower team GMs with the same capabilities they currently have to manage their locker rooms. The SMJHL discord would have sections for each rookie locker room rather than the small discord servers that get spun up with them now. Recurring events such as the IIHF tournaments would have their own section of each discord carved out. Each discord would also grow over time to include sections that the league deems appropriate, such as a Banking Help section to potentially supplement threads and site PMs that get sent to deal with common issues. 

For a discord admin, this Discord will look like a mess, but to an individual player there would only be a handful of sections they'd have access to. One of the goals here is to bring everyone together; part of why I stay in this league is the interactions with people, and so far that's been limited to the S46 rookies and the players in my two locker rooms. I didn't even know this discord was really around until this PT. The other is to help simplify the discord experience by starting you with 1 place you need to go, with it capping out at 2 after your first season.

[Image: On57CfR.gif]
  Knights Usa Stampede Patriotes Inferno Argonauts Aurora Renegades Stampede