Create Account

The Hometown Discount - Do we really need this?

What up guys?

This is rule II.E.3 of the SHL's rulebook:
Hometown discounts
  • Hometown discounts are available to two active players per team, and may be signed at one tier lower than normal, or two tiers for players over 1300 TPE. Hometown discounts have a maximum contract length of three seasons. Players must have played at least six seasons with that team before they are eligible for a hometown discount. Once a player is eligible for a home town discount, they will always be eligible for that team, even if they leave the team and return later.
  • If a player with a hometown discount is traded, their contract will count against the new team's cap of two players on a hometown discount. If the new team already has two players on a hometown discount, their contract will be adjusted to the proper amount based on their TPE.

There needs to be some discussion about the point of this rule and whether or not we really want it in the SHL. There's going to be some bias from teams that have a lot of good players and teams that have few good players. The rule helps teams that are stacked by allowing them to keep all of their players on the team without worrying about the salary cap as much. On the other hand those players aren't going to free agency and so worse teams aren't able to use their free salary cap space to go after those players. With that in mind if you fall into one of those categories I know you'll do your best to not have your opinion swayed by your team's position in this since.

Personally, I think parity is good for sports leagues in general. It gets more people involved and keeps fans from migrating toward one single team because they're the only team that ever wins (see Golden State in the NBA as an example of what a league without parity creates). Based on that idea I think rules that discourage parity are almost always ones that should be removed. When it comes to real sports things are driven by money and there are enough players to always fill up teams. I'm not saying that the SHL has an issue with membership, we're doing great right now. But I do think that we should always be trying to increase membership, and if we're allowing teams to stockpile huge amounts of talent we're decreasing the value that casual members have to their teams and making their experience on here less fun.

What benefits would removing the hometown discount rule have? It adds to Free Agency each offseason and increases parity. Look the Toronto Maple Leafs in the NHL. This offseason Marner, Kapanen and Gardiner need new deals. No hometown discounts in the NHL so either they trade away someone like Marleau or Gardiner, likely at the cost of a draft pick, or let someone walk to free agency because there just isn't any cap space for all of them. Another team gets a great player through a trade or free agency, parity increases, and we get a little spike in forum activity from all of the excitement.

I say all of this as a recent benefactor of this rule that essentially allowed EDM to have an all but guaranteed cup in S45. A team featuring 8 players at or above 1500 TPE, 5 players between 1000 and 1500 TPE and 2 players between 800 and 1000 TPE should not be allowed to exist, that's just a stupid amount of talent. The team got broken up not because of the salary cap, but because of the expansion draft. Meanwhile we have a couple teams with 2 or 3 players around 1000 - 1200 TPE and at this point we actually have a team without a single player over 1000 TPE.

So those are my thoughts on the hometown discount. What do you guys think?

[Image: doubtfulalpha.gif]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
[Image: sN8N4xa.png][Image: 639861613880541184.png] Cal Juice [Image: 639861613880541184.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] Tomas Zadina
[Image: snacnei.png] Brady McIntyre
[Image: ice-level.svg]
(This post was last modified: 04-08-2019, 12:51 PM by luke.)

I usually see people who don’t need the money taking HTD so that other users like rookies and such to get better Salaries, like GM’s and high TPE players.

Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

(This post was last modified: 04-08-2019, 12:54 PM by caltroit_red_flames.)

04-08-2019, 12:50 PMluketd Wrote: I usually see people who don’t need the money taking HTD so that other users like rookies and such to get better Salaries, like GM’s and high TPE players.

I'd say that's a point in favor of my side of the discussion though. If you can't give young players the money they want then better prospects will be more inclined to sign with a team that can.

[Image: sN8N4xa.png][Image: 639861613880541184.png] Cal Juice [Image: 639861613880541184.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png]

04-08-2019, 12:52 PMcaltroit_red_flames Wrote:
04-08-2019, 12:50 PMluketd Wrote: I usually see people who don’t need the money taking HTD so that other users like rookies and such to get better Salaries, like GM’s and high TPE players.

I'd say that's a point in favor of my side of the discussion though. If you can't give young players the money they want then better prospects will be more inclined to sign with a team that can.

With RFA those prospects will be stuck with the team that drafts them for a couple seasons. If they can’t train then I see that as something that could lead them to inactivity.

04-08-2019, 12:58 PMluketd Wrote:
04-08-2019, 12:52 PMcaltroit_red_flames Wrote: I'd say that's a point in favor of my side of the discussion though. If you can't give young players the money they want then better prospects will be more inclined to sign with a team that can.

With RFA those prospects will be stuck with the team that drafts them for a couple seasons. If they can’t train then I see that as something that could lead them to inactivity.

Imo it's the flaw in the send down cap system

[Image: ml002.gif]
Credit to Copenhagen, Wasty, FlappyGiraffe, InciteHysteria, and caltroit_red_flames
 [Image: MM4nqx6.png] [Image: Niz2wua.png][Image: egAspOO.png] Knights
[Image: GZ9XvkA.png]

04-08-2019, 12:58 PMluketd Wrote:
04-08-2019, 12:52 PMcaltroit_red_flames Wrote: I'd say that's a point in favor of my side of the discussion though. If you can't give young players the money they want then better prospects will be more inclined to sign with a team that can.

I see your point there, though I don't think hometown discounts are a good way to remedy that. Where do you see this happening right now?

04-08-2019, 01:00 PMml002 Wrote:
04-08-2019, 12:58 PMluketd Wrote: With RFA those prospects will be stuck with the team that drafts them for a couple seasons. If they can’t train then I see that as something that could lead them to inactivity.

That makes more sense, if there's an issue with send downs not getting enough salary then we should increase the send down cap, not allow teams to circumvent the SHL's actual cap.

04-08-2019, 01:01 PMcaltroit_red_flames Wrote:
04-08-2019, 12:58 PMluketd Wrote: With RFA those prospects will be stuck with the team that drafts them for a couple seasons. If they can’t train then I see that as something that could lead them to inactivity.

I see your point there, though I don't think hometown discounts are a good way to remedy that. Where do you see this happening right now?

I don’t see it specifically, but I think it could be a reason. But I agree that HTD isn’t the best way to solve the issue. If there is a better alternative then I would be all for it

TBH would be better if only GMs could use it.

[Image: 41373_s.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: 7WSfxIG.png][Image: nBgNUTY.png]

04-08-2019, 01:02 PMcaltroit_red_flames Wrote:
04-08-2019, 01:00 PMml002 Wrote: Imo it's the flaw in the send down cap system

That makes more sense, if there's an issue with send downs not getting enough salary then we should increase the send down cap, not allow teams to circumvent the SHL's actual cap.

Essentially the problem is that the send down cap and the player salary tiers fight each other at a certain point. Most GMs would love to be able to pay their prospects more than $1-2mil per in their first contract, but when you have multiple 1k-1.3k TPE players that have to be paid a minimum of $4-5mil, that adds up and the $8mil send down cap just gets strained so much in bigger draft classes.

I get the league doesn't want amazing teams to horde prospects, but the current system hurts the prospects too.

Credit to Copenhagen, Wasty, FlappyGiraffe, InciteHysteria, and caltroit_red_flames

(This post was last modified: 04-08-2019, 01:39 PM by caltroit_red_flames.)

04-08-2019, 01:34 PMml002 Wrote:
04-08-2019, 01:02 PMcaltroit_red_flames Wrote: That makes more sense, if there's an issue with send downs not getting enough salary then we should increase the send down cap, not allow teams to circumvent the SHL's actual cap.

Essentially the problem is that the send down cap and the player salary tiers fight each other at a certain point. Most GMs would love to be able to pay their prospects more than $1-2mil per in their first contract, but when you have multiple 1k-1.3k TPE players that have to be paid a minimum of $4-5mil, that adds up and the $8mil send down cap just gets strained so much in bigger draft classes.

I get the league doesn't want amazing teams to horde prospects, but the current system hurts the prospects too.

I'm not saying this is a good idea, but an idea would be to just entirely separate the caps entirely. The better teams shouldn't get good prospects by virtue of having later picks and if they do the prospects will become SHL ready and decide to jump ship for more ice time and a better contract than their team can give them, that or the SHL team will be forced to let them walk in free agency for draft pick compensation.

04-08-2019, 01:00 PMml002 Wrote:

We're actually discussing a possible solution to this in HO.

[Image: 53994_s.gif]

Player Page
Player Updates
SMJHL Commissioner , SMJHL Awards Head, Banker (NEW/WKP), Rookie Mentor

yay

04-08-2019, 01:39 PMNobody Wrote:

Give everyone 10 mil every season. Ez

based ho

[Image: giphy.gif]