Create Account

Sami Raanta: Draft afterthoughts (x2)
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2019, 10:11 AM by Sami.)

The SHL entry draft is probably the most exciting thing happening to a young hockey player. Last wednesday, Sami Raanta got drafted to the SHL as he was picked by the Hamilton Steelhawks 11th Overall. As some time went by after the draft, Raanta had time to think about everything. Here are some of his afterthoughts regarding the past SMJHL season with the Vancouver Whalers, the recent draft and his future.

1. S46 with the Vancouver Whalers

The past season with the Whalers was a crazy experience for me. It was drafted at 16th Overall by the Whalers and I couldn't have gone to a better team. We didn't have the success we wanted the past season, losing in the first round against the Falcons, but the amount of young, active guys alongside the veterans on this team was a very important experence for me. When you first join the league, you really don't know what to expect. I think it's very important for every young guy in this league to be drafted to a team that cares about you and actually wants you to succeed and goes with you through the lows and highs. And my GM Luke did so, as well as my teammates. Just imagine, I could have been drafted by the Raiders, and just look at what they did - trading their drafted players in the first season to get immediate help but still failing to be successful. That's not an environment you want to be in and spend your first seasons in. 

I want to shoutout my fellow S46 SMJHL draftees and signings, Cullen Gray, Dale Miller, Aaron Wilson, Jax Duggan, Theo Morgan and Igor Volkov who made this season a fun one and helped me bond with this league to stay active and strive for the best. All of them were drafted last wednesday and nearly all of them got drafted early. This is a special group and we will have success sooner than later.

2. The days leading up to the draft

The days before the draft were crazy. I really had no idea where I was ranked. In the season my GM told me he thinks I will be picked up in the early second round. I was okay with that although it was my goal to be a first rounder. I continued to work hard. As the draft approached I was contacted by some GMs but I think only two teams shows real interest. One of them were the Hamilton Steelhawks, the team I ultimately got draftey by. I don't want to talk about the other team which stronly considered me but in the end took another talent. Alll I want to say is that they made the wrong choice and sooner or later they'll know it.

It was fun reading some comments on twitter. Someone said it was between me and Espen Knutsen Jr. for 11th Overall. I was drafted 1th Overall in the end because Knutsen Jr. was already gone. I have no idea where I would have ended up if Knutsen Jr. had still been there.

The draft and the days before were really fun and I can tell every young hockey player that this is a day to look forward too. 

3. Being drafted by the Hamilton Steelhawks

I think it was just one or two days prior to the draft that I knew that Hamilton strongly considered me. I was contacted by their GM and from that moment on I tried to get to know the Steelhawks team and their history. I did know that the Steelhawks weren't 100% sure if they would pick me so there is always some uncertainty.

But when they called my name it was a great feeling. I love that they put so much trust in me to spend their first round pick on me and I want to give it back by being the best I can be. It's always strange to come into a new lockerroom where guys know each other and you are the new guy but I'm sure Hamilton is a place I will be happy at spending my career. The team has a nice history and a nice makeup. I want to help that franchise winning Challenge Cups again.

4. Switching to Left Wing

I told my new team that they can't go wrong signing other guys of the Whalers. I know that all of my fellow Whalers are very active and great guys. At 17th Overall the Steelhawks wanted to draft my Whalers linemate Aaron Wilson. But there was a big problem, both Wilson and I are listed as centers. The Steelhawks didn't really need another center though. I really wanted the Steelhawks to draft WIlson badly and I agreed to switch to Left Wing. 

I played on the Wing my entire SMJHL rookie season for the Whalers. My GM there planned with me on the wing for next season and now, the Steelhawks wanted me to switch to wing. Doing it was better for every team I am connected with and I think it was better for me. I felt better playing on the wing as I could concentrate more on getting stronger offensively. It was time for me to switch and I feeld good about it because teams wanted to me to switch and I could help them doing it.

I don't know if I will player center in my future though. As a kid I always wanted to be a center and mabe after some years of development I can go back there. 

With the other pick, the Steelhawks drafted another Whaler, Dale Miller. A great pick in my eyes. The Steelhawks spent their three picks on three Whalers. Best thing they could have done.

5. My future

I spoke to my GMs and they want me to develop further in the SMJHL. I'll definitely spend at least the next season with the Whalers and I am excited about that. I want to have a better season than last year and help my team go deep in the playoffs. We in Vancouver want to win the Four Star Cup. And then, maybe I get to play in the SHL sooner than I think.

[Image: jHIZWUN.png]

Vancouver is no doubt a great team to be a part of!
Good article WhalersSteelhawks

Player info | Updates | Stats
SteelhawksCanadaWhalers

[Image: aawil.gif]