Create Account

First Article - Knox Booth is Knocking on the SHL's Door

The buzzer sounds, signalling the end of the exhibition game and one in which many SHL hopefuls have donned jerseys looking for a chance to sign on with the league. Among them is a young man by the name of Knox Booth, tall and lanky he is relaxed when approached by the group of reporters- appearing almost as calm as he was on the ice. 

Knox Booth was on the ice for two of the three periods and during that time only one puck made it past him. Even still, with 23 saves on 24 shots, Knox Booth is far from satisfied. “I should have had it,” he tells this reporter when asked about the one puck that made it into the net behind him, “I got a piece of it but it wasn’t enough. I can be better. I will be better.”

We’re surprised by Booth’s attitude considering when the group of onlookers watched him, there was hardly any criticism directed his way. In fact the big man came across as cool and confident, and if Booth was at all nervous- it didn’t show. Booth laughs when we mention this observation and he is quick to tell us otherwise, “Knowing who might be watching, I struggled to keep it together for the first couple of minutes. But once that puck drops, I don’t hear or see much outside of what’s in front of me. There’s a good reason why I love this game and I think my teammates today would agree with me.”

We comment on Booth’s stoic approach and ask him what other elements of his game his excels in, “My positioning and technical game is strong, I work hard at it every moment I get. It’s my speed that I need to improve, I have to be able to respond faster if I want to have success here.”

We ask Booth what his next step will be and for a moment the look of confidence that was in his eyes a moment before, fades, “I wish I knew,” Booth offers in a rare moment of honesty, “I’ve been talking to my agent but haven’t heard of too many teams being interested. I know there are other leagues, it doesn’t end here for me today if the SHL isn’t interested. I’ll keep fighting for as long as it takes, I believe in myself and I know that I have enough talent and skill to make others believe in me as well.”

Booth is asked if he’s ever considered another path? Becoming a professional hockey player is difficult enough, let alone the limited amount of positions available at goalie, “Never. I’ll be a starter somewhere, and the team that gives me a chance won’t regret it.”

We thank Booth for his time and wish him success as we step aside to allow him access to the dressing room, however Booth does not step forward- instead he puts his mask back on and heads back onto the ice. The game may be over, but Booth isn’t finished yet.

[Image: p82ugau.png]