Create Account

S49 PT #4 - The Record Book

Which record would you say will be the hardest to break? Explain yourself!

For me at least, a record that seems almost unbreakable is definitely Esa Anrikkanens games played, playing for that long something that not many players can even come close to these days. That man was a freak of nature and playing over 1,400 games and being an excellent player at the same time is legendary. In todays SHL just seems like an absurd goal. Just the pure effort and consistency it would take to even pass 1,000 games is something that a lot of people don't have the time or motivation to push for, not to even mention adding 5 seasons on top of that. I personally don't think we will see another player with a career like that of Esa. Well, maybe the next Esa in the pipelines could do it, Esa Parmborg. He's already an excellent player and should make a big impact in his rookie season for Calgary and if Parmborg will be anything like Anrikkanen, there will be a new top dog in the league very soon.

[Image: lebbish.gif]

I think a record that will be broken by an active player is the career short handed goals record, currently held by Riley Raycroft who scored 16 goals on the penalty kill between seasons 1-15. Now, an active player who I see having a shot at breaking this record is Luke Thomason. It may seem like a weird choice, but this season he's having a breakout year in regards to short handed goals, where he's leading the league with an outstanding 2 goals. In what will be his 5th season he'll have 3 penalty kill goals, and if he keeps up the pace of at least a penalty kill goal a season he can certainly get close. The record seems awfully low, but considering no one has broken it in 30 or so seasons it will be difficult, but I think Thomason will be able to tie or beat it. It will certainly be interesting however to see if he can keep up the 2 PKG a season pace, or if he'll fall off like others and score 0.

One of the most underrated records in the SHL is the Hamilton Steelhawks' run of 11 straight losses in the Challenge Cup Finals. The Hawks were swept in S3 by the Edmonton Comets, swept in S7 by the Winnipeg Jets, and then lost 3 in a row against the Dragons in S9 before finally winning their franchise's first Challenge Cup Finals game. Sweeps are extremely rare in Finals history, having only ever occurred four times in 48 seasons, in S30, S47 and the two seasons mentioned previously. With the amount of parity in the league now, and STHS's preference of longer series, I doubt this record will be broken any time soon. It would require a team that is good enough to win their conference yet bad enough to get steamrolled by the other conference champion. Those early Steelhawks teams who made the finals were all underdogs, playing second fiddle to West Kendall and Toronto, but today's longer current playoff format makes it more difficult for upsets to occur. Additionally, the Steelhawks loss in S3 was defienitely questionable, as McDonald, the league simmer and Comets GM< was later found to be rigging the sim.

[Image: 17307_s.gif]

StarsnorwayRenegades // PLAYER PAGE || UPDATES \\ RenegadesnorwayStars

[Image: s7PQzex.jpg]

[Image: fm4oNHu.png]    Aurora  norway  Raptors     [Image: YHC5qMO.png]
[Image: 47986_s.gif]

PBE PT

[Image: Jepox.gif]

The currently all-time points record holder is Esa Anirkkanen with 994 points. I really think that Jason Visser aka @ToeDragon84 has a real good shot at least getting close or tying that mark when he eventually reaches the end of his career. Esa played a remarkable 30 seasons in the SHL and it looks Visser isn't slowing down either with currently 593 points with 16 seasons under his belt, Only time will tell if he's able to match Esa's record of 30 seasons as he's already half way there. Regression is a disadvantage for Visser but he's been able to been battle it as he been able to win a Cup during regression. With young up and comers like Ola Wagstorm pushing Visser to remain at the level that he is at the moment. The Jets at the moment are in a playoff spot heading to final few games of the season with Visser sitting at 43 points.

[Image: Crossfit.gif]

[Image: CFJ1.gif]

Thanks to prettyburn, TML, Carpy, JNH, Jepox, Engi, Karey, Flappy, Skolpadder, Mook, DollarAndADream, Smirnov and Toe for the sigs.

Code:
Crossfit's First Career SHL Goal, 4. Manhattan Rage , Crossfit Jesus 1 (Pedro Sarantez, Nucky Toohoots) at 5:51

Code:
Devitt's First Career SHL Goal, 5. Calgary Dragons , Prince Devitt 1 (Barry Batsbak 21, Mike Izzy 14) at 10:43

Honestly, I think one of the hardest records there will be to break will be Alonzo Garbanzo and his insane 765 assists! He averaged just under 32 assists a season for 25 seasons. To be able to pull this off in less time, one would need to put up 40 or more assists a season, at a consistent pace, to be able to even think about touching this record. The fact that the second place player for assists, Joe McKeil, has only 582 and played more games than Garbanzo did! Unless a pass first type player is willing to commit to 30 or more seasons of attempting to break this record, and manage to stay consistent and on a team that would, year after year, be competitive, makes this an incredibly hard one to touch. This seems to me to be unbeatable without a serious amount of time, effort, and dedication to allot towards just this record alone and sows the dominance that Alonzo Garbanzo had in his time!

From personal experience, the most underrated stat in the SHL is shot blocks. For starters, there's literally an award for the player who racks up the most penalty minutes. There is no award for the player who blocks the most shots, an act much more valuable and actually a positive contribution to the team's efforts. Second, the pretty boys at forward throw down on hits a lot, sure, though they get all the glory for scoring goals and assists and whatnot, and what do defensemen have for our efforts at the back? Pittances! Best defensemen awards, at best. No statistical recognition for putting our bodies on the line and making the goalie's job a little easier. Come awards time, we fawn over the forwards and the goalies, and while they are deserving of credit where due, where's ours for the best at being the first line of defense to set those guys up to do their thing?

Speedwagon Player Page | Speedwagon Updates Page 

[Image: speedwagongifsig.gif]

[Image: GoonerBear.gif]

Code:
The Tomen Special: What would you consider to be the most underrated SHL record in the current era? Explain yourself.

In a time of wild card series' and play-ins, I think there is one clear option for the most underrated stat in the current era of the SHL. That is of course CWC. No not the cricket world cup, it is of course Cups from Wild Card. Or more simply, how many cups a player and/or general manager has won after finding themselves in a wild card position at the end of the regular season. 

The Buffalo Stampede are perhaps the most extreme, and most certainly the most recent, example of this. Last season, the year of our fair lord Season 48, they went all the way to a final after tying for last in the east with the Toronto North Stars. It will go down as one of the most chaotic end-of-regular-seasons ever, with the two aforementioned teams and the New England Wolfpack all having a shot at making the post-season. It just shows that once you're there you can make magic happen, and I believe that this would be a wonderful method of tracking the durability and spirit of a team. 

Am I going to track this further back? Maybe a bit. Well, I can't since wildcards are a recent thing to the SHL, so what do I know? The closest juniors team to achieve it was the S45 Scarecrows, who finished in 6th, just 1 place out of the 7-10 play-ins.

[Image: owenm43.gif]
[Image: 9vAsr7c.png]

Most goals is the record that is likely to be broken by an active player. That active player? Elijah Jones. He hasn’t played a game in the SHL yet, but he’s poised to break onto the scoring sheets in the upcoming season. Jones will be debuting in Season 50 of the SHL and hopefully will bring the heat. The Panthers could use another premier scorer. Jones is a powerhouse scorer in his youth and has shown shines of continued development. This is a prestigious goal. Folks really don’t quite understand what’s on hand in the future. We have a young, coming up offensive dynamo that is eager and excited about scoring goals. This record is a challenge to break. Previously set by a talented player that managed to set himself apart from other great players. Elijah Jones will really have to step up in the coming seasons. It will be important for Jones to get started quickly. To break these records, Jones will need to score early and consistency.

Reed Kobo - Winger - #33
Player Page- Update Page
Elijah Jones - Winger - #33 Retired
Player Page - Update Page
Toivo Kosonen - Defenseman - #33 Retired
Player PageUpdate Page
[Image: 2ew9foG.png][Image: rnSNsnU.png]

NSFL PT

[Image: JKortesi81.gif]
SpectersScarecrowsDragonsBlizzardUsaSpectersMilitiaDragonsBlizzardScarecrows

Update Page
Player Page

PBE PT

[Image: kD6k7a5.png]
[Image: CjCi3BJ.png]

The all time hits record is going to be the hardest to break in my opinion. The current player at number one all time is Taylor McDavid with 3434 hits over a 22 season career. That is an average of just over 156 hits every season for 22 years. The ability to constantly take the body and make contact combined with the longevity of the career makes it a seemingly impossible record to top. Mike Izzy, one of the top power forwards of our time is still more than 1000 hits behind McDavid. Izzy is already in his 12th season. This season he isn't in the top ten for hit as of this moment. Does Izzy have 10 seasons of pounding left in him? To add to what will make it so hard to topple McDavid is that so many new players make checking their weakness in their build. Fewer and fewer players and looking to hit that pinnacle of punishment of the most hits of all time.
(169)

[Image: EmersonSHL.gif]
[Image: uDjThoa.png]

Quote:Which record would you say will be the hardest to break? Explain yourself!

I think the hardest record to break will be Joe Kurczewski's(@JKortesi81 ) record of playoff points. Joe currently sits on top of the leaderboard with 197 points(comprised of 83 goals and 114 assists). The next 5 highest point totals are all in the 120's. Part of the reason this record is so hard to break is the sheer amount of games Joe has played in the playoffs. He also leads this category with 189 playoff games played. While this lead is not as significant(the next few spots have 171, 163, 154, and 151), none of them have been able to match the prolonged production of Kurczewski's career. He has remained a constant post season threat and continues to add to this stat each season making it further out of reach as time goes on. For anyone to have a chance at breaking this record they have to make the playoffs in almost every post season possible and be a major force in said teams scoring. As Joe is set to pass 200 points this offseason, he shows no sign of slowing down his production at an elite level.

[Image: spartangibbles.gif]
[Image: qGhUIfY.png]  Outlungus   Usa Monarchs  [Image: PlcJv9V.png]