Create Account

Kevin Robinson Pre-Draft Interview

(2x Draft media 757 words)

Today we're catching up with a S50 draft prospect Kevin Robinson. Robinson just finished up his rookie season with the Anaheim Outlaws, playing all 50 games, finishing with 7 goals and 9 assists for 16 points. He also added 4 points in 7 games in a first round playoff exit. Robinson started the season as the 3rd line center, but midway through the season earned a promotion to the 2nd line, gaining power play time along with that. According to many of the draft services around the league, he's projected to go in the late teens to early twenties with the potential to sneak into the first round.

Interviewer : Last time we talked it was right after being drafted in the Junior Draft. How'd the season go?
Kevin Robinson : Yeah it's been a little while! It went pretty well. I started pretty slow, didn't even put up any points until my 7th game or so, but Anaheim has a good set up to help the rookies get better, so I improved the longer we went. I'd like to think the playoffs were a bit of a turning point for me and hope to carry that level of play into my second year.

I : You're right, there was a clear improvement in your level of play in the postseason, what changed?
K : You know, I don't really know. I was just more comfortable in the team at that point, playing in all situations. Plus there's just something a little different in the playoffs, knowing there is always something on the line.

I : Let's get to the matter at hand, how are you feeling about the SHL draft?
K : Pretty good honestly. I'm not too worried about draft position, all the teams are good, I mean they're pro teams after all. I just want to go to a team with a good group of guys.

I : In the Junior draft you ended up staying on the board all the way until the 5th round, did that give you any kind of chip on your shoulder for the season to improve your stock?
K : A little bit. You know, the junior draft is tough, there's not a lot of time to prove yourself to the scout teams and general managers. Obviously you want to go as high as possible, it's a great feeling, but at the end of the day everyone plays.

I : It's safe to say you won't be waiting til the 5th round this time, any idea where you might end up?
K : Not really, I've had meetings with a lot of scout teams and managers, but nothing concrete. I've read the scouting services as much as anyone else, I'm usually ranked around 19 or 20. That is a big jump from my junior stock, no doubt. A lot of that I can attribute to the environment and facilities here with the Anaheim Outlaws. I think it'd be cool to sneak into the first round somehow, but like I said earlier, everyone plays and I'll be happy as long as a team wants me.

I : Have you been doing any different training than normal to prepare for your SHL career?
K : Somewhat, I've been skating a lot more than I used to in the off season. A group of the Outlaws guys stay in the Anaheim area and work out 4 to 5 days a week with the strength and conditioning coach, so I've hopped into that group. I also went to a camp up in Toronto to help work on getting my skills up to the pro level, stuff like face offs and improving my shot.

I : Any specific team you would like to get drafted by? Any team you hope to avoid?
K : Not really, I think all the teams have cool opportunities. I'd love to be a part of a great, championship caliber team straight away, but there is also something fulfilling about going to a team in a rebuild with the opportunity to help bring a team back to glory.

I : Thanks for your time with this interview, good luck tonight, I'm sure you'll have a successful career no matter where you go!
K : Thank you.

[Image: 7ICBY0z.png]
[Image: 15Ng51w.png]