Create Account

S76 PT #4: Changing Stripes Due: Sunday, May 5th @ 11:59 PM PST

All good refs do one thing properly, and that’s letting the game flow. And I can hear the comments now, “oh no one wants to see that” and “the refs will let the game get out of control”. Good. I want the game out of control. It’s when I feel the most in control. So I want refs that let the little things slide. Sure, maybe that hit was from behind and the dudes neck imitated a scorpion. But is he dead? No. Play on buddy. Pick your teeth off the ground and get to the bench. See a dentist after the game if you want, but I won’t. I don’t have any teeth and I’m proud of it. I’m also a duck, but that’s besides the point. Gimme a ref who lets the game flow and the only penalty is one that draws blood. Fans want it, real players want it. This is hockey.

[Image: puddlesoduck2.gif]

[Image: M5WMPZ1.png]

[Image: TqPg1ou.gif]

[Image: U66t7Jy.png] [Image: zyyvIFD.png]

[Image: wu5MVvy.png%5D]

A good referee's best trait is being willing to make mistakes. I think as soon as a ref feels defensive on their calls and doubles down, it's over, and the game isn't being officiated well. Some other traits that improve the game is not having equalizing calls. Penalties are doled out strictly based on play - if you're trying to keep penalties even on both teams that's pretty dogshit and doesn't take each incident on its own. Any call should be based strictly on what happened, and not what the last call was, how many penalties that team has already had, or even on how that player has played earlier in the game. As soon as you let someone get away with something, you've lost. I'm happy that there's video replay and a command center to help refs call fairly, and even though it takes a minute to consult, it's worth it. Refs staying out of the way also helps. Ref ricochets are silly.

[Image: 1091735715194343496][Image: merh.gif][Image: 1091735379956211812]
[Image: jZtKPwK.png]    [Image: Thz4BYW.png]    [Image: ivBf7yq.png]    [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

[Image: merha.gif]
[Image: kvwHYOm.gif]
gay heghog

Option 1:

Jay O'Neil started in the USA IIHF and that's where he'd probably go back to, his birth country that he still has a lot of pride for. Jay was born and raised in Boston Massachusetts and it's still his home in the off-season but he loves his finnish brethren. Jay has no plans on leaving Finland anytime soon but he does look and wonder what the USA team is doing from time to time. With Jay deep in regression would he even still be on the squad? Still a staple of the Finnish roster but would these old bones still be playing on team USA? I'll always love the old red white and blue because it's my home but the way that my Finnish teammates have welcomed me in and all the medals we've won together, they'll always feel like my real IIHF family. Maybe one day Jay's kids will lace up for their home country but in the meantime Jay is winland forever.

[Image: riU14F5.gif]

[img=0x0]https://sig.grumpybumpers.com/host/sburbine.gif[/img]

What Nation would Hugh Manius play for other than the United States? That easy. Norway! Hugh would have to look to Manius’s of yester year to determine where he would play, and all things would point to Big Manius and amazing metal run with Norway. It would be nice for Hugh to receive the Norwegian pride in winning a metal with them just like grampa. After all the years of her how nice Oslo is and how much fun it was playing for Norway, it would be the perfect fit for him and the rest of the Manius clan. He knows he would like the cross training he enjoys so much. Swimming the fjords of Norway would be an amazing workout. Even though old man Big would be screaming at him the entire time. So it is that simple if Hugh Manius has to play for another national team it would have to be Norway.

Words~155

[Image: bonk.gif]
Sigs by @FlappyGiraffe,  @Steelhead77,  @ToeDragon84, @slothfacekilla, @Wasty and other dude I need to find your name

Lil' Manius

Big Manius

If Hodor had to leave Germany, I think he'd be most comfortable in a place that best resembles his former home of Winterfell. The closest would perhaps be Russia. He'd fit right in being a huge, brutish looking person with an incomprehensible speech pattern. He's not much of a drinker, though, but he'd have no problem living out in the wilderness which makes up most of the country. He may even start carving blocks out of stone and use them to build his own castle with the resemblance of his home castle, Winterfell. Then, he'd name it after his home, Winterfell, and let people move on in to establish a population where Hodor is the defacto ruler of the castle. He'd likely claim the surrounding lands as his kingdom and go to war with Russia itself. He would not stop until he took over the entire country. Or something like that.

hodOOOOr'hOOOdoooooooor hoooodor hOOdOOORRRR, Hooooooodooooorrrr HoooooddddddddoooooooRRRR

SMJHL Stats || SHL Stats
[Image: YZjkK9Q.png] PORTAL [Image: rwqM7d3.png]
Berserkers Elk Falcons Renegades Germany

Stats Pre-S53 || Stats S53+
[Image: yXVPZSm.png] [Image: updates2.png]
Outlaws Switzerland Wolfpack
S53 All-Star and Richan Trophy Nominee
S60 Jeff Dar Trophy Winner
Never forget

If Mary Hollywood were to switch her IIHF federation from the illustrious U S of A, she would no doubt have to go play for team Czechia. Her reasons for this are several. First among them: Mary is a simple girl. Colors and uniforms are a big part of her hockey identity (which is another reason that she's happy to have been so blessed as to don the tremendously swagtastic purple and gold of Regina), and the colors of team Czechia aren't too far removed from those of Team USA. In fact, last she checked, they were pretty much the same. Maybe the shade of blue is a little different. Mary doesn't think too much about that, though. It's all the same to her. Secondly, they invented a bunch of neat beer in Czechia, and Mary is a big fan of slamming a few cold ones. Thirdly: Mary was almost a defector to Czechia once already, what's the difference if she just does it now (she's not. She's USA for Lyfe now.).

Elk  Rage
[Image: cLeHjn1.png]
Sig by sulovilen!

I would outright refuse to play for another federation, mainly due to loyalty and partially because this feels like a tamper bait question haha. Seriously though Lativia is an amazing country to play for always seems to be a fringe threat with lots of great up and coming players. Look for Latvian to be a future medal threat lead from the defense and goal out. From another point of view, just joining for The Locker room is also a great idea.Not overly active but very chill and welcoming with someone always willing to talk about anything you want to bring up. So although there are alot of other similar up and coming nations such as Denmark with Fredrick Gronlund and the Solberg sisters or Czechia lead by try McClure and a bunch of sweet people I know from ucorcal, there isn't a day that goes by where I regret picking latvia as my home

[Image: fFccrkD.png]

Ok. Here is the deal: me as a person has to write this from two different perspectives. From Lasse Zeigler's point of view, he would have to choose the USA. He is put onto team Germany because of his birth, and yes he did live there for half of his childhood, but when he moved to Michigan around the age of 10, that's when he grew up and found a passion in both hockey and football. So for him, it would be an honor to play for both of his 'nationalities', per say. Plus on top of that, Lasse's not overly attached to Germany, he loves the team and the management, but his play while playing for Germany has been horrid, only 16 points in 60 games. As for me as an IIHF Federation Head, no way ever would I move Federations, I couldn't for one, and two, I love Germany and intend to stay here to help run the team and keep Zeigler there to be an influential player.

Written Option 1: 

I dont know if I would ever leave Team USA. I have been part of it since I joined way back in Season 54 in the WJC. It has been part of who I am. But if USA was forcing me to leave, then I would definitely be more than willing to transfer and play for another national team. There are several nations that are ran by great Fed Heads. But 2 stand out as probably favorites to join. France and Latvia. Both are ran by some great Heads, well at least France is. I have always liked Latvia's colors and players so I think it would be an easy fit. But honestly I think France would be my top choice. They have some really great players and some that I am very familiar with. But what I like most is that France is still relatively new in the IIHF world, at least in SHL. So joining a newer nation that is trying to make a statement that they belong or even that they are real contenders is something that I want to be part of. 
-186 words

[Image: jumbobone19.gif]
[Image: 9tINabI.png]  [Image: 1DL5JDX.png]  [Image: xc2IPJy.png]  [Image: 1DL5JDX.png]  [Image: wW0VNnL.png]
Thanks to @DELIRIVM @sköldpaddor @Merica for the Sigs

This is a tough one, as I believe representing your country is one of the highest honors you can have. I truly love playing for Canada, and I am not totally sure I would wear another country’s flag. However, for the sake of the exercise, let’s give it a shot.

I will say, prior to getting on to Canada full time I did have other nations try to persuade me to get on their roster and I ultimately declined. I think of all the other nations perhaps I would give France a shot. There are a few people on the roster that I know and would be a good place for me to hang out because of it. I think they have a great group and they are managed well and could be a team that is really strong, so I guess that would be my answer if I HAD to choose. Although I won’t be wearing anything else besides Canada.

[Image: Otrebor13.gif]

[Image: 7MO9RpC.png]  [Image: gdppv5N.png]

A good referee is one who gives my team good calls and whoever my team is playing against the bad calls. If they are not doing that, then they are probably a bad referee. I think the SHL refs do an ok job, but they could definitely do better to make sure my team gets better calls. The fact that it is an even split between my team and the other team means that it is mostly bad work, however it could be worse. If they gave my team more bad calls than the other team, then it would be a bad job. As it stands, it is just an alright job. If I had to make changes to how the referees work, I would just give them flash cards before every game that shows them which color my team is wearing that night and which color the other team is wearing to make it easier for them to remember which team to call penalties on.

[Image: uMyJK4x.png]

Option 2:

This is a highly topical matter as I have been watching the Grand Rapids Griffins in the AHL playoffs the past week. I have season tickets so I see quite a few games a year and so far the AHL playoffs have had the worst officiating I have ever seen. I fully believe with the advancements in technology there is no reason for a ref to miss so many penalties during play. Just a few days ago I saw someone get trip and boarded and then when they fought back against the person who nearly injured them, they got the lone penalty for roughing.

I also believe that since every play is being recorded from multiple angles, there is no excuse for something to not be reviewable during the game. If the video board can pull up the footage in seconds for the fans to see, the refs should be forced to use it as well. Too many seem to go on an ego trip where they can't dare be questioned on if they missed or made a wrong call. More refs need to be humbled and bad refs need to stop being protected and employed. If I worked in food safety and I let poison into a batch of product that could hurt or kill someone, I shouldn't just be patted on the back and told we'll get em next time. It leads to teams taking riskier plays and potentially causing injuries on the ice.

[Image: spartangibbles.gif]
[Image: qGhUIfY.png]  Outlungus   Usa Monarchs  [Image: PlcJv9V.png]

PBE Affiliate Link

[Image: RaidTheArcade.gif]

Celeste would and has refused to change national allegiances to play for other IIHF nations, even under the promises of more playing time and a quicker track to the big boy tournament. The only non United States nation they would even mildly consider would be Canada, which includes absolutely none of those bonuses promised by smaller nations, because this is hockey and it's Canada. They're very confident in their place in the national program in the United States, though, and aim to quickly rise up the ranks once they hit the senior tournament. After all, it doesn't feel right to compete for a nation they have no connection to, so the options are very limited, and in all honesty they wouldn't feel right competing for Canada, either, considering that their family didn't get into the United States From Canada all that long ago. They wouldn't want to disrespect the actions and decisions of their great-grandparents. So the United States is and remains Celeste's only true and valid option for international competition.

[171 words]

[Image: Fm35hEW.png]