Create Account

S68 Championship Week Due: January 8th @ 11:59 PM (PST)

I get to use a CW pass because I write it. It being CW. I write CW.

[Image: pin1_1.gif?ex=668e1b34&is=668cc9b4&hm=9f...0c8f0c8fb&]

CW Pass

Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights
[Image: VZtEodi.png]
[Image: 1n0REYx.png]

RIP Dangel. See you on the other side, brother

Gm cw pass

[Image: CaleSalad.gif]
[Image: kalesaladshl.gif]
some high fibre sigs are Powered by AllBran, 

CW Pass

[Image: blix900.gif]

[Image: QwTZD8C.png][Image: iemKOIk.png]
(This post was last modified: 12-31-2022, 10:34 PM by Sburbine. Edited 4 times in total.)

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

sburb

Code:
2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.

a. Manhattan comes into this series with a much more balanced attack than their previous playoff run carried by a scorching hot Lev Lebedev. This time around they have nearly seven players chugging along at a PPG clip. Is this a different beast than last season's Rage? Why or why not?

Seeing as goalie TPE doesn't seem to matter anymore I would say that they are certainly a different beast than last season. They aren't held down by paying a high TPE active goalie so they can spend more on forwards. Hopefully this eventually gets fixed and goalies have a more secure place in this league but right now paying a 425 seems to be an advantage. 

Code:
b. Seattle returns to the finals with a roster that's very similar to last season's champions. So why would they lose this time around? This squad has proven they can do it, so what's changed? Do you think this team can do it again?

With the TPE of current teams in the league, the championship seems to run though the west, they have much higher average forward and defense TPE. But what seems to determine their success through the last two playoffs is whether or not Willie Miller can stand on his head and stop everything. If Manhattan can somehow show that Miller is mortal then they can win.

Code:
c. The play of Max Manning for Seattle and Thomas Lind for Manhattan has been a key factor in their respective teams' playoff runs. Do you think they're both able to continue performing at the spectacular pace they have thus far, or do you think someone is able to figure out how to shut them down? Is that the key to this series?

A championship doesn't run through one player, look at Edmonton or the Bulls before Pippen and Rodman, you can have the best player in the league by far and still not win. These are team games that take team effort. Manning and Lind will need support from the people around them to win the championship. They at least need some defense to block the net in front of those 425 goalies.

Code:
d. With all that being said it's round two of SEA vs. MAN. Who wins this time? Regardless of any other stat in this series-- who do you think wins it and why? Last season Manhattan was the upstart without any experience, but here they are again to face the same behemoth Seattle team. Make your pick.

Even though it's a bit boring, I do think that it is Seattle again. I still want to believe that TPE in general actually matters and a 1300 TPE team winning really hurts that idea and makes max earning less fun. And that's a Defenseman talking, imagine how goalies feel. I do understand the desire for the underdog to win and hopefully we can get some different teams in the final next season.

Code:
7. Milestones, up to 3 TPE

Milestones are folded in with CW. So just link your Milestone claim as task 7 for up to 3 TPE towards your

+3 TPE for milestones

Code:
13. Graphic, 1 TPE, crAIyon? More like CWaiyon!

Me and the gang holding our WPG Championship trophy
[Image: 7mmLJMa.png]

Code:
15. Written, 3 TPE, IIHF Analysis (150 words min.)
Write your predictions for this year's IIHF tournament or WJC! Tell me about your team! Are they up and coming? Win now mode? Entering into a re-build phase? What are your expectations for your player? What teams are you watching out for this time around?

Now that I can show my shiny gold medals on my profile page, I obviously want Finland to win again, we have been an elite team and in win now mode for a few seasons now and want to keep it rolling for this season. We are a Great group of players that already know how to win. Even though I'm pretty high TPE, I don't really expect that much from my player. I've been a defensive defenseman for my whole career and don't expect or even want much more. I'm just happy to help the team wherever I can. My player has had some flashes in the SHL but nothing in the IIHF, the reverse Jukka. I'm pretty sure my first IIHF I had a whole zero points. At the end of the day none if that matters if I got a gold around my neck, Jay O'Neil is part of this team even if he's not the one scoring all the goals or getting all the highlights

Code:
23. Written, 2 TPE, Acrostic Poem

Just

A

Young

Overly

Nice

European

Ice

Licker

[Image: riU14F5.gif]

[img=0x0]https://sig.grumpybumpers.com/host/sburbine.gif[/img]

(This post was last modified: 01-02-2023, 04:06 AM by hockeyiscool. Edited 1 time in total.)

GM CW Pass

Affiliate written for the SSL and ISFL: 

3. Written, 3 TPE, New Year New Me (150 words min.)

What is your player's New Years resolution? What aspect of their game do they want to work on in S69 to help them reach the finals next season? If they did make the finals this season, is it because of something they resolved to work on last season? If so, then what's next?

Dwight Knights New Years resolution is to take more of a backseat role in Tampa Bay Barracuda. With Dwight about to start his 14th season in the Simulation Hockey League, it is more about establishing the future and putting all of these players in a position to shine. Something Dwight is looking towards is improving his puck movement as there were many situations where Dwight got bodied off of the puck and it caused numerous turnovers. This was a huge detriment to the team and going forward is something that will need to change. Dwight is excited to get some younger players to the forefront of play that have otherwise had a smaller role as well as highlight an amazing new younger player in Taschen Messer that was imported from Montreal and hopefully get them highlights as they should be a core contributor now and down the line. But for now Dwight will work on his stick checking going into the season however he may lose a bit of strength for the first time in his career. 

[177 words]

J HO CW Pass

[Image: 59269_s.png]

S66 Damian Littleton

[Image: CsnVET2.png] || [Image: wu5MVvy.png]|| [Image: c8B2LE3.png]
Battleborn | Barracuda | Usa
(This post was last modified: 12-31-2022, 02:17 PM by Gwdjohnson. Edited 4 times in total.)

Code:
What is your player's New Years resolution? What aspect of their game do they want to work on in S69 to help them reach the finals next season? If they did make the finals this season, is it because of something they resolved to work on last season? If so, then what's next?

Ricky Koivu is a consummate professional who is always very focused on finding ways to improve his on ice game. He strives to always be the best he can be and rectify weaknesses in his play. As such, for his new year resolution he vowed to be more active in shooting the puck, so that he can find the back of the net more often. Only having a small amount of 24 goals total over his first couple years in the big league, Ricky has acknowledged often that he needs to have more of a killer instinct for the Forge and contribute to their offense more than just looking for passes. Part of his resolution also includes not slacking on the other end of the ice as a result, though. Ricky prides himself on trying to be a menace on both ends of the ice, so he wants to keep a fine balance of scaring opposition defenders, while also making their forwards not want to be in one on one situations against him. With the next season due to start not long into 2023, we will see how Ricky fulfills his resolution. (192 words)

Code:
4. Written, 3 TPE, Dream Series (150 words min.)
Many teams have rivals they'd love to trounce in a playoff series. Maybe you as a player have another specific player you'd love to beat to win the cup and lord it over them for the rest of their lives. Tell me who you'd love to play in a playoff series and why! Why would you love to beat this team or player? What would it mean to you or your team? Keep it friendly.

Ricky Koivu has previously said in interviews that he would love to play a series against the Hamilton Steelhawks at some point in his career, preferably as soon as possible. He has a lot of ties to people in the organization, notably his brothers who play for the team. The three of them (Tommi, Wide Peepo Happy 3 and Jolmi Koivu) and Ricky spend a lot of time together off the ice whenever they get the opportunity, but have never played playoff matches against each other, so it would be a very fun event. Apart from his Koivu brothers, Ricky also has close ties with B Jobin, Tommy Westbrook (but this time I upd, Yngve Simonsson, Devin Basher and Manny Calavera (among others) from Hamilton. The Steelhawks are currently in a rebuild right now, so time will tell how long it could take before Koivu has his dream series happen, but his friends are all at the center of the Hamilton rebuild, so when it does happen it will surely be a great occasion. (174 words)

Code:
13. Graphic, 1 TPE, crAIyon? More like CWaiyon!

Prompt: Hockey player sitting at home looking bored

[Image: Hockey_player_sitting_at_home_looking_bored.png]

This is Ricky Koivu at home being bored after a first round exit with Philadelphia

Code:
2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.

a. Manhattan comes into this series with a much more balanced attack than their previous playoff run carried by a scorching hot Lev Lebedev. This time around they have nearly seven players chugging along at a PPG clip. Is this a different beast than last season's Rage? Why or why not?

-It definitely feels like the Rage came into these playoffs with a more refined approach to their offense. One player can only do so much when you're the underdog against well rounded and dangerous teams like Philadelphia and Atlanta. Many of their offensive players stepping up was the big key to them advancing and will be key if they end up going all the way. (65 words)

b. Seattle returns to the finals with a roster that's very similar to last season's champions. So why would they lose this time around? This squad has proven they can do it, so what's changed? Do you think this team can do it again?

-Complacency can be a big factor for teams that are just coming off a championship. It's very easy to lose some of that hunger after you already achieved the highest accomplishment possible as a team, so Seattle just need to keep focused and stick to what's created so much success for them. I would back them to be repeat champions this season. (62 words)

c. The play of Max Manning for Seattle and Thomas Lind for Manhattan has been a key factor in their respective teams' playoff runs. Do you think they're both able to continue performing at the spectacular pace they have thus far, or do you think someone is able to figure out how to shut them down? Is that the key to this series?

-Manning has been an unstoppable force this season and had the greatest goal scoring season of all time in the SHL. I think Lind can be shut down by Seattle, who have a very sturdy defense backed up by debatable the best clutch playoff performing goalie in the league in Willie Miller. The biggest question will be if Manhattan can keep Manning quiet. (63 words)

d. With all that being said it's round two of SEA vs. MAN. Who wins this time? Regardless of any other stat in this series-- who do you think wins it and why? Last season Manhattan was the upstart without any experience, but here they are again to face the same behemoth Seattle team. Make your pick.[/code]

-I think both of these sides are very impressive, and that's pretty obvious considering they're repeat finalists. Manhattan have looked like a team that's learned from their mistakes of the past and look way more threatening these playoffs, but this Seattle team is a juggernaut that has just about more playoff experience than any other team over the past 5 or so seasons. I have to go with Seattle's winning pedigree here. (71 words)

Code:
An acrostic poem is when you create a poem using every letter of a given word. For example:

Really
Intelligent
Cool
Knowledgeable
Yearned-for (?)

Keen
Obscure
Introspective
Visionary
Underappreciated

Spells out Ricky Koivu baby gimme that 2 TPE shit Dan

Code:
Trivia (3 TPE)

Code: Drake

TOTAL TPE: 16/16 (CW DONE!!!!!)

[Image: Gabe-lights.png]
[Image: nMz40Vc.gif]

(This post was last modified: 01-01-2023, 09:49 PM by Leafs4ever. Edited 5 times in total.)

Task 1: (3 TPE)

Verification: Strongo

Task 2: (4 TPE)

Well last playoffs, Manhattan was clearly a 3 player team. It was probably their depth that faulted them. However, this playoffs they have more players that have stepped up and produced. They have almost 3 lines all firing at the same time, which is a crazy difference. They are absolutely a different beast and a team harder to game plan against because there isn't one clear line to shut down. (70 words)

It might not be something on their end that changes. They are facing the same team, but it's clear that Manhattan is taking the experience from last season and building on it this season. They are way more balanced and everyone is going at the same time. I think Seattle is relying a lot on their two best players and they might run out of gas if they don't get help. Also, Lilja is not tearing the league apart this time around. (82 words)

Both players are good enough to work around any game-planning the other team tries. While I expect both to produce, I think Manning might have more trouble because outside of him and Podcalzone, the other Seattle players have been relatively quiet. That means Manhattan can pay more attention to Manning. For Lind, because a bunch of Rage players are playing really well, Seattle can't really just key in on Lind because the others will take advantage. It will be key to keep Manning productive, but also to get his teammates going as well. (93 words)

d. With all that being said it's round two of SEA vs. MAN. Who wins this time? Regardless of any other stat in this series-- who do you think wins it and why? Last season Manhattan was the upstart without any experience, but here they are again to face the same behemoth Seattle team. Make your pick.

I think Manhattan takes it. Repeating is so tough in hockey and Seattle tasted victory already. Manhattan has that bitter defeat still in their mouths and that will drive them more than Seattle, who has already won it all. You can see it by the way the whole Rage roster is clicking, while Seattle has mostly been carried by two players. I'll take the team who had to watch the other team celebrate and take their dream away. (78 words)

Task 3: (3 TPE)

After a successful regular season and becoming the highest scoring team in SHL history, we were expecting big things in the playoffs. We got through Round 1 and felt really good going into the series against Buffalo, but unfortunately we fell short. That one hurt...

Next season, we need to see success in the playoffs, no bones about it. For me, I'm getting older, but there's still some game left in these legs. I'm going to make sure that I can still produce on the offensive side of the game. I'm playing with some elite players and I don't want to hold them back when we're in the offensive zone. I want to continue working on my passing and want to refine my shot to find those openings in the goalie. On the defensive end, if I can just keep working on positioning, it should make up for the lost foot speed.

This off-season is important for me and the team. I don't have many good years left so it's imperative I work hard to keep my game sharp. For Toronto, we're all in. Again. We need to see this through to the end.

(194 words)

Task 4: (3 TPE)

There is only one team that I always want to see fail. There is only one team that I can't stand ever losing to. If I had any say, I would relegate this team to the shadow realm. If you ever give me a choice of a team to beat, it's the Calgary Dragons.

If I could only eliminate one team from the playoffs, it's the Dragons, no question about it. I even hate the thought of them making the playoffs in this hypothetical situation, but if I could be on the team to knock them out and end their dreams, I'll take having them make the playoffs. However, even better would be beating them in the final game of the regular season when they need a win to make the playoffs. Whatever I can do to make their franchise face endless sadness and despair, you can sign me up.

This is a rivalry from all the way at the beginning of the SHL and it will never die. I will always root for the demise of the Dragons and if I can be a part of making that happen, all the better.

(193 words)

Task 7: (3 TPE)

S68 Milestones

Guy Incognito - D - #24
Texas Renegades
Season 77
44-18-4
Regular Season - [G 4] [A 17] [Pts 21] [+/- +26] [PIM 28] [Hits 43] [SB 179]
Playoffs - [G 0] [A 0] [Pts 0] [+/- 0] [PIM 0] [Hits 0] [SB 0]

[Image: ERs3IrD.png]

SMJHL HO pass

[Image: Katth.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]
Barracuda Germany Scarecrows Knights

[Image: cgv4vCv.png] [Image: 95lCCDx.png] [Image: GATPRRX.png]
S50 Challenge Cup Finals Game 7
[Image: gNFVjT6.png]

gm pass

[Image: izzy.PNG]

GM pass

[Image: 8E70VfU.png]

Kenneth Lind (S78-)

Tomas Lind (S57-S78)

[Image: canadice.gif]
Thanks to @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @Carpy48 and @High Stick King, for the signatures

[Image: EzY5jpl.png]
(This post was last modified: 12-30-2022, 07:11 AM by Caylon. Edited 1 time in total.)

1. Verification word [3/16]
Ree

2. Grab Bag [7/16]
a) I do believe they are a different team this season, with so many players that can hurt Seattle, shutting down the offense will be a tall ask. Now will it be enough to bring them down this time around? That's a question no one knows the answer to, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see another 7 game series between the two teams.

b) Like I touched on in the previous prompt, I don't necessarily think it's the changes to Seattle that makes the difference so much as the internal growth of Manhattan making them a more rounded team. Even with last season's setup they were taking Seattle to 7 games. So with the extra fire power this season it should be a very tight race to the finish. Where Seattle coming out on top is anything but guaranteed.

c) Both teams do certainly rely on their star players continued performance. But as was mentioned, Manhattan has 7 PPG players, I'm not entire sure about the situation on the Seattle side of the fence. But really there is a lot of secondary scoring that can pick up the slack even if the star is being shut down. We're not talking about the Edmonton Oilers where if you take out McJesus in the playoffs their team consists of only one other player. So I think being able to shut down Manning and Lind will certainly help, but it won't be a guaranteed win for either side.

d) I obviously want Manhattan to win, since they are my team, but I also predicted them losing in the finals in my Playoff bracket. Mostly because I always predict my own team loses in the playoffs, except when I was GMing Vegas in the VHLM, but that's because we were so stacked it was basically free TPE to do so. Normally though I go with the "predict the team you want to win loses" because that way either your team wins, or you win TPE. So can't really lose at that point. I guess TL;DR is that my heart says Manhattan, but my head says Seattle.

3. New Year New You [10/16]
With the new year looming and Andy Ceylon coming off a very offensively disappointing (even by DFD standards) playoffs. He will be looking to work on his offense, specifically his shooting, as he was sitting on around 2% shot conversion for most of the past season. Maybe if he could have made more of a mark offensively even the blatant cheating that happened in the J playoffs might not have been enough to stop the Kraken? Who knows? Only time will tell is Ceylon's off-season antics after the new years will be enough to put the squids in a position to go for a cup next season. Early signs look good, and hopefully the growth will also see Andy ready to make the leap to the big leagues the season after, though that remains to be seen, as he still does have the ability to spend one more season down. If I'm not mistaken. But no matter what, it will be a new look Andy in 2023.

4. Dream Series [13/16]
Considering the more-than-a-little scummy way the series against Detroit concluded this season. Andy would love a shot at the birbs again next season. A chance to show who truly deserved to win that series, when fought fairly. And with how the future of the Kraken looks, I certainly see this as a possibility. Andy really hates being a passenger on a team, and in these playoffs he did feel a bit like one. So being given another shot at showing his best side against the birbs would really help cap off his J career the right way. I have to admit I don't know how much Detroit retain for next season, and if they will even be in a spot to make it back to the playoffs in S69. But I certainly hope they do, and that we can avoid accidentally having one of their players at 100 TPE over the cap this time around. Because it would make for one very fulfilling redemption arc if that was the case. Who knows? Maybe the Kraken will be so strong next season we'd even be able to win through such nonsense? That's the hope at least.

5. Boat vs. Bull [16/16]
This is actually a pretty easy one, since you simply decide the winner by picking the battlefield. Put it in the middle of the pacific and the bulls lose by default, as they would drown before even getting to the boats. Put it in the middle of a landlocked country and the bulls could simply ignore the boats, going about their day as the stranded boats slowly decay and get reclaimed by the land. If we assume living boats need water to live as well, they'd probably just suffocate, much like fish out of water. So really, it all comes down to where the battle is fought. Which I suppose is true for the hockey series as well, whichever team managed to control the way the series is played to put it on their preferred terms will likely walk away with the cup. Both teams have strengths and weaknesses and it's all down to their ability to capitalize on them the best way possible. All we know is that if it goes to OT, the Bulls are really good at that.
(This post was last modified: 01-01-2023, 04:15 AM by Salming. Edited 2 times in total.)

1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

Verification word: Borje

William Salming is once again facing regression on S69. But his goal is still to stay as a relevant hockey player. That's why his goal and aim and target is to focus on his physical aspects. Because skill is never out of fashion and you can age like a fine wine if your skills are great, Salming can focus on other aspects in his game because his passing, puckhandling and offensive read are excellent. Salming will focus on speed, accelerationd and agility because those areas are usually first which start to decline when player gets older. Salming wants to slow it by doing lots of speed drills. He will run a lot but at the same time he will do spurts on the ice too with skates and sand bags in his back. It will develop his acceleration skills for sure, right? He has learned it from mr. Jaromir Jagr who is still a good player at the age of 50+.

Words: 160

4. Written, 3 TPE, Dream Series (150 words min.)
Many teams have rivals they'd love to trounce in a playoff series. Maybe you as a player have another specific player you'd love to beat to win the cup and lord it over them for the rest of their lives. Tell me who you'd love to play in a playoff series and why! Why would you love to beat this team or player? What would it mean to you or your team? Keep it friendly. 

Top rival for Seattle Argonauts is probably San Francisco Pride. They have faced each other so many times on the first or second of the playoffs. At the beginning, it was Pride who won most of the playoff series but in the recent seasons Seattle has been stronger on its way to three straight final appearances. However, this season they didn't face each other which was a shame because fans always love to see games between those two organisations. It is a love-hate relationship between those two hockey clubs but when the series is over, players shake hands honestly and respect each other with high moral because hockey is just a hockey. So yeah, I would like to see a couple of more Argonauts versus Pride series in the future before it is time for new organisations to step up. Of course, because Salming's ex-teammate Kev Kevens is not anymore part of Pride, a rival is not so taste anymore but is still worth of watching also as a neutral fan.

Words: 171

7. Milestones, up to 3 TPE
Milestones are folded in with CW. So just link your Milestone claim as task 7 for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total.

+3 TPE - S68 Milestones

15. Written, 3 TPE, IIHF Analysis (150 words min.)
Write your predictions for this year's IIHF tournament or WJC! Tell me about your team! Are they up and coming? Win now mode? Entering into a re-build phase? What are your expectations for your player? What teams are you watching out for this time around?

Like always, I expect big nations to succeed. Canada, Sweden, Finland, Russia and USA are powerhouses which should dominate IIHF event year after year because hockey culture is there something else than in for example in Japan, Great Britain, Ireland, Austria, Norway or Latvia. Sweden and Canada dominated round robin last year and I expect them to have now more success in the playoffs too. I also expect that Germany's hockey will continue its rising season after season even though last year they were a disappointment placing 12th in round robin but on the other hand success of other rising hockey nation Norway was a positive surprise. Germany is lead in the attack by Steve Harrington who is a good hockey player as are defenders Jonas Kahnwald, Kermit Murphy and Dee Centerman IV. From Nordic countries I expect that Finland will again strong this year because goalie tandem Smith-Carpet is elite and they have good forward group. They are ready to win again like on season 62 and S64 and S66. When it comes to Russia, I expect the same. They are way too big hockey nation to underperform again which means everything lower than achieving a gold medal.

Words: 199

An acrostic poem is when you create a poem using every letter of a given word.

Successful
Aggressive
Loyal
Magical
Irreplaceable
Nice
Great

[Image: salming.png]

GM Pass

[Image: QsZ1vOb.jpeg]
[Image: lqfXIpe.jpeg]