Create Account

S78 PT #5: Playoff Woahs and Woes Due: Sunday, September 15th @ 11:59 PM PST

Written Option 2: Every season, only 17 players of the 340 in the SHL get the honour of lifting the Challenge Cup and only another 17 of the 272 players in the SMJHL get the honour of lifting the Four Star cup. With the odds stacked against you, how does your player deal with the pressure of potentially losing in the playoffs? How does your player deal with defeat in playoffs? What does your player do with the free time after the woes of losing in playoffs? Does your team follow the tradition of golfing after the playoffs?

For Tom Pedersen, dealing with playoff defeats is never easy. The pressure to succeed weighs heavily on him, and each loss feels like a personal blow. When the season ends in disappointment, Tom doesn’t waste time wallowing. He heads straight back to Norway to reset and recharge. The familiar landscapes of his homeland offer him a sense of solace that nowhere else can. 

Back in Norway, Tom spends his time reconnecting with his roots. He’s often found on the fjords, fishing or kayaking, enjoying the peacefulness of nature far away from the noise of the hockey world. He visits his family, indulging in hearty home-cooked meals that remind him of simpler times. Tom also loves hiking in the mountains, using the physical challenge to clear his mind and refocus on the next season. 

While many of his teammates may head to the golf course, Tom finds golf to be useless. Is it even a sport? It doesn’t have blood nor offside. Tom would rather do something where he can let go of the pressures of a real sport, reset his mindset, and come back stronger. For him, these quiet summer moments are essential to dealing with the ups and downs of a professional hockey career.

Words: 205

[Image: TomPedersenCD.jpg]
[Image: cgv4vCv.png][Image: 3Kip7R0.png][Image: ivBf7yq.png][Image: cEbgUph.png]

Written Option 1 (186 words):

Well obviously, that Volta loves the playoffs. It’s the time when the stakes are higher and trying to get to the end of the run by winning the Championship. Volta loves the playoffs spirit. It’s the time when the fans are crazy! What does Volta likes doing the most is two things. First, he loves making some cool celebrations when he scores some important goals or even the game winning goal. Going to the boards? A special celly! Or even a cool and impressive hit. Volta wants to make the fans a true memory that they won’t forgive. Second and last thing is with the team. In fact, Volta loves making some celebrations with his teammates. He isn’t a selfish guy who does everything for himself. After a win, the whole team does the train and lift their stick to thank all the fans for coming in the game. Also, Volta is really focus on making plays that can lead to some goals. Since the games are more intense, he can’t lost his cool when a game is important since EVERY GAME IS IMPORTANT in the playoffs.

[Image: sam-volta-sig-0901.png]

Option 2

Losing in the playoffs is a time honored tradition for Marton. Losing is the finals is becoming a rather annoying and specific version of it. He's heard all the platitudes, but of course it never gets easier. Still, he wouldn't describe it as "pressure," the sort of thing that can get to you before the game even starts. He's never stepped onto the ice during the playoffs, not even during game 7 of the season 77 finals, thinking "what if I lose?" The thought of every moment up until the final horn is "what do I need to do to win?" Maybe that makes the loss a bit more crushing, because even if he had an answer, he wasn't able to make it happen. His mindset has always been about trying to take things into his own, into shouldering that responsibility. It's not power-of-positive-thinking crap like "I can do it!" or "I *will* do it," but it is about believing that the victory is possible and that his actions and choices can lead to that outcome.

There's nothing Marton hates more than losing and feeling like it was entirely out of his hands, like it was all just some random chance that nobody seems to understand and where what you put into it bears far too little relation to what comes out the other end, like the outcome would be 12 different things if you did the exact same setup 12 different times.

[Image: YpRQWIT.png]
Sig courtesy @sulovilen

[Image: SyiOY8U.png][Image: showthread.php?tid=126581%5D][Image: ywpNoYb.png]

After the season ends, Cristoforo likes to go back to his hometown of Venice, Italy to be with his family. It's nice after such a long season of extenuating battles and constant (offensive) effort to be able to take some time and live quietly for a little while, recharge his batteries, and get ready to do it all again come October. Lots of the time, he doesnt get to relax for too long, as the end of the hockey season in North America is pretty close to the start of the tourism season in Venice. Cristoforo's family runs a shop selling odd trinkets and lesser known Italian artwork, so when tourism season starts, they're always happy to have him back talking up the visitors, as well as the extra help around the store. Beyond this, Cristoforo mostly spends his time working out to stay in shape, meeting with old friends from back home, and finding new and interesting ways to get in trouble. He is only 19 after all.

[Image: Mat10Man.gif]
Portal
Portal

Scoring a goal is the best feeling when it help your team getting the win. In the playoffs, the stakes are really high as each game count and you have to give your 200% each shift. Being a forward, your goal is to score so you have to make the sacrifice to be able to get it done.
Impressing the crowd by make moves is not really something my player think as if he do is normal job, he will be able to help is team win. Wins is what the crowd is looking for in the end so if I have to make a nice dangler to score, I'm confident in my abilities that depending on the other defender I might try it or not. If it's the right move to make, I will do it, but if it's the best defender of the other team, I might do a different play because I don't want to loose the puck over a bad play.
I don't change my style of play, I just give more energy and effort each shift to make sure my play is right and the team, myself and the crowd is happy.

option 1:

Being involved and the community is an important aspect and role that I was to play as player and humane. Trying to score great goals, and make amazing passes on the ice is always a great feeling, and giving the fans something to cheer for and get loud is a great feeling. However there is nothing better then spending time in the community or volunteering and getting to meet the great people around our team, and the people who show up day in day out to cheer for us. Volunteering gives us a chance to truly give back to our community off the ice. One of my favorite things to do is to volunteering at the children's hospital. Being able to bring a smile to a sick kid, or make their day a little better by making it easier for them to attend our game is all it takes and it is something so simple for us to do.

[Image: Oats.gif]

[Image: 401.png] [Image: S42cup1.png] [Image: r-Wt4-AB350oooo.png][Image: WuTGq5J.png][Image: XUMDqMO.png]

Written Option 2

I'm gonna twist this one a little, as I'm somehow just put together the most baller playoff performers across all my players and I don't knw what I've done. I know in the STHS era, endurance is said to have given a slight performance boost in certain situations, of which I believe post-season, or at the very least overtime games are included, and I typically did invest into endurance despite what the norm was. In my second season on the site, my player, Marek Vyskoc, had 22 points in 40 games in the regular season, and then proceeded to score 21 points in 15 games in the post-season. Later, Dionyz Vyskoc's heroics in S38 went down perhaps as the greatest post-season performance in Prince George history, with a game winner to secure the seven game conference final, and the overtime game seven cup-winning goal in the final to shatter the 30 season drought, and then, as a second-liner on a stacked West Kendall team in the S40's, scoring 55 points over 4 seasons in 71 games. Then there's Petr who, while quiet during the playoffs in the J, who has climbed into the top 10's on both most goals and points in the post-season of all time, capped by an incredible 19 goals in 21 games in S70, before going without a goal for the entire seven game finals. The playoff are a BLAST.

MWHazard Wrote:i'll playwith anyone
playing with my teammates is part of the intangibles I bring to the table
i play with them a lot.
they didn't like it at first
but after a while, it just felt normal
Justice,Sep 18 2016, 02:09 PM Wrote:4-0 and 0-4 aren't that different tbh
McJesus - Today at 10:38 PM Wrote:FIRE EGGY
HIRE ARTY
[Image: xuHy0EF.png]
[Image: Artermis.gif]

Boots has been with the Renegades his whole career and has now seen his share of playoff games. He's literally been in every scenario now except for the one everyone dreams about, lifting up that cup. Boots was once a very impactful two way player keeping things clean in his own end while also quarterbacking the blue line and power plays. He's since aged out quite a bit and has dropped the offensive bit leaving all that to star defenseman Jack McCarthy. What Boots is getting the thrill in now is going for big hits and blocks as a shutdown defender. He'll still play very carefully but you can guarantee if an opposing players is headed into his zone and doesn't see him coming, Boots is going to lay the big hit to get the crowd off their feet and get his teammates going as well. This playoffs Boots will be determined to reach the finals again and he's ready to take out anyone who stands in his and his teammates way.

[Image: 3WSeHAA.png]

Billy Herrington, like any elite player, feels the weight of playoff pressure, but he’s learned how to manage it. His secret? Embracing the mindset of "control what you can control." Billy knows the playoffs are unpredictable, and rather than let the fear of losing get to him, he channels that energy into his performance on the ice. He’s always laser-focused on the next game, the next shift, and doesn't dwell too much on what might happen if things don’t go their way. If the team falls short in the playoffs, Billy takes the loss in stride. Sure, it stings, but he’s not the type to let it drag him down for too long. He’s quick to reset, leaning on meditation and some time with his teammates to move past the disappointment. And yes, he definitely joins in on the team’s offseason golf outings—it’s a great way to bond, unwind, and laugh off the stresses of the season. After the playoffs, Billy uses his free time to recharge physically and mentally. Whether it's hitting the gym or spending time with friends, he’s all about balance. He knows next season is always just around the corner, and he’ll be ready when it’s time to chase the cup again.

[Image: image.png]
[Image: dankestmemes69420.gif]

[Image: vhY18i8.png] [Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: nBgNUTY.png]
Armada        Canada        Stampede
Falcons        Usa

Written Option #2

So only seventeen players get to lift the Four-Star Cup each year? Elvar Gil-Galad of the Great Falls Grizzlies is one of the hundreds who have a chance at the beginning of the season and as the season goes on and into the playoffs, they drop one by one. Or seventeen by seventeen as teams get eliminated. Great Falls has been one of those teams eliminated each year of Elvar's career and he deals with it the same as most. Sad for a few days and then start immediately looking into the next season and what he has to do to get even better. Training and being patient and just waiting for that season where the team has the whole package for what it takes to win the cup. The Grizzlies have put together a team that may have a chance, but only time will tell. And there's always next year. If not then... a recreate. Someday.... Im a win the cup!

[Image: wLeEjGc.jpeg]

(This post was last modified: 09-14-2024, 01:43 AM by ThePyroAlpaca. Edited 1 time in total.)

Juan is no stranger to dealing with playoff disappointment. Its what hes know most of his carreer. From multiple 50+ win seasons without a cup Juan has learned how to prepare. Deafeat just pisses him off more because it means he wasnt good enough and he let the team down. He doesnt golf in the offseason by goes back to latvia to train with the rats and bears. He uses every hour of every day to improve, to make sure he does not make the same mistakes. in the evenings after training all day he watches film to better understand what makes the greats successful. He knows the work will eventually pay off with him raising a cup and celebrating with teammates, family and the rest of the city. How does he know this? Well he is one of the 17 players with thier name on the four star cup from season 76 and he's look to add his name to the challenge cup

[Image: fFccrkD.png]

Yuri Boyka III is a people pleaser and you can definitely know that he will be up to something in time for the playoffs. During his first game against the Ottawa Highlanders, Yuri Boyka III picked a random fight with the opposition to not only hype up the crowd but also his teammates. As a martial artist and current BJJ black belt and top muay thai skills, Boyka III destroyed the opposition with a hard elbow to the helmet which cracked it in half. The audience was in awe and started roaring as they were in disbelief. At the same time, his teammates were so pumped that they ended up winning the first game in beautiful fashion. During the second game, Boyka hit the opposition so hard near the boards that the glass shattered and they fell over. A meeting was held the following day to tell Boyka III to control his freak strength as this can heavy heavy percussions on his career. As a result, Boyka III did nothing the next few games and just like that, Nevada Battleborn was eliminated all though they had the lead. Tough times.

[Image: pnI7R5r.png]

Anyone who tries to tell you they don't feel the pressure in the playoffs is lying to you. There's no bigger stage in the sport than the playoffs, with everything you've been working for all season on the line, and a short string of bad games and mean the end of an otherwise great season. For those on strong teams with title expectations, it can be especially hard, when the league expects you to win and every opponent a hungry underdog looking to be the one to knock you down on the road to glory. That said, the best strategy come playoff time, for favorites and underdogs alike, is to enjoy the journey and focus on the people, not the players. This league is an amazing community full of amazing human beings, and their time, support, friendly rivalry and general banter are the reason we all keep coming back, not a trophy or a fun banner on the side of a website. Celebrate or commiserate with good friends and don't take it too seriously, and you'll have the time of your life.

[Image: RAmenAmen.gif]
sig credit: Ragnar, Sulovilen, Enigmatic, Bayley
[Image: kcP9WEd.png] [Image: DNLeeu0.png] [Image: DKMMlC3.png]
[Image: RAmenAmenPride.gif]

Prompt 1.

Playoffs are a part of hockey, but always feel like a complete change of scenery compared to the regular season. Whether it's because the crowds are bigger, more enthusiastic and feel more intense, or the stakes are higher and everyone is a bit more nervous and on edge, Flörsch isn't sure. But it all just feels different. The hits feel bigger and harder, there's a bit more risk in Julian's play as he wants to put the opponent on their back foot, and everyone is expected to give just the little bit more and work harder on every aspect of the game. And with more risky offensive plays, Julian also pours the extra effort into his backchecking game, working both sides of the ice to prevent the team from going down a goal. Playoff games can often be very close, and the results are often determined by just a few key plays or mistakes.

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

[Image: mutedfaith.gif]
Credit for the images goes to @Carpy48, @soulja, @fever95 and @Wasty

Option 2: Furious Chicken has so far not won anything during the duration of his career, and this season it is once again looking unlikely with the Baltimore Platoon being 3-1 up on the Buffalo Stampede. Usually once his team gets knocked out Furious Chicken takes a bit of a break, watching some of the other matches, and relaxing a bit, before getting ready for the international tournament, which used to be the WJC, but nowadays is the IIHF. As he has never had a season not in the play-offs, and/or not in 1 of the international tournaments this has stayed the same over his seasons in the SHL. During his relaxation time Furious Chicken usually watches some of the other play-off teams, goes back to the Netherlands and takes some time to cool down from a long hockey season, and after that does some sponsor obligations, that he is required to do. Before going to France and starting training for the IIHF journey with France.

164 Words

[Image: FuriousChicken.gif]