Create Account

S59 PT #5 - An Unexpected Surprise

An unexpected event that occurred was me taking the SHL so seriously. When I had initially signed up for the SHL (Thanks to Dankoa and Nokazoa) I really was not planning on taking this league seriously or earning well and as a result named my player Jack Kanoff (Jacking Off) as a meme. Sure it was a bit of a poor joke and something pretty immature but I wanted to go with a name that would make my player somewhat memorable. However there have been a ton of fantastic people, communities and fun times that have led to that mentality changing. It was a really surprising moment for me but it was definitely a pleasant one that I've appreciated. It's thanks to times like this that I've met even more super cool people and had even more fun times with guys all over the community. An unexpected surprise it was for sure, but a very welcome one at that.

[Image: jackkanoff.gif]

[Image: jeffiesigs.gif]
Nour is pretty hot ngl

The setting is the cold of northern Sweden. Aleks Blixtstrom just returned from a tryout for a U15 hockey team. And he absolutely blew it. He was having a hard time even skating. He could barely control the puck. He was constantly getting dropped by the man he had to defend. Overall it was a terrible, horrible night and performance. So terrible that Aleks was considering quitting hockey all together. How could he recover from this? He certainly isn't getting on the team. He went to bed, dejected and embarrassed. He woke up and went to the mail box, where there was a letter to tell him he had failed miserably and didn't make the team. But when he opened it, he was greeted by the words; "Congratulations Aleks, you have made the team." He was obviously very surprised. How could this have happened? He had the worst performance of his young hockey career. But he was happy and relieved. The coach had been impressed by him never quitting. The coach had faith Aleks could grow into something special, and grow into something special he certainly has.

Code:
187 words

Teddy Park entered the league unsure of many things in his life, but his name was not one of them.  Then all of a sudden.... it happened.  Teddy Park woke up one morning except he wasn't Teddy Park any more.  all of a sudden he had become Teddy Murphy and also somehow there were millions missing from his bank account.  You might wonder how exactly Teddy found himself in such a predicament and the answer is honestly quite simple.  Teddy Park committed several felonies, but Teddy Murphy has a clean slate in the eyes of law enforcement agencies around the globe.  The whole new name thing has worked surprisingly well for Mr. Park-Now-Murphy.  That's easily seen by the fact that Teddy Murphy isn't in jail for the theft of 18 priceless pieces of artwork and additional several unrelated charges for pubic urination.  Teddy's name change was a bigger shock to him than anyone else and we hope that he can continue to evade the long arm of the law for the foreseeable future.  At least until he retires from the SHL.

A Detroit Falcons first gen with scoring talent and raw potential got a call one day with a scouting survey; at that time he was an unknown, a variable. Who else could it be but FlappyGiraffe, then GM of the winnipeg Jets and the man who gave me a chance at the SHL level. But I had never expected to see a scouting PM from a team that high, let alone a promise to be drafted second overall. At that time I was a nobody, and that moment where I became a prestigious pick was what set me up for a distinguished career playing high level hockey. I never could have predicted the benchmarks and milestones I would reach in my pro days, but as this storied career is winding down, I can’t help but to look back on that fond time, when all was new, exciting, shocking even. Nothing will ever match that level of mystery and joyous surprise again, no matter how much of a special moment I find myself in. That was the day that I became somebody, and that set me on the other I am today. Quite a pleasant surprise I would say.

[img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/ByNN8Jn.gif[/img]

Having grown up since birth in the eastern reaches of the French country side, the mere fact that Arsene Leclarc has been able to make it this far in his Hockey career was something that was quite unpredictable. Having come from a country which is not well known for hockey, despite having a pro league, the French have very rarely been represented in both the SHL and the IIHF. There have been a few current and past, of course, but to have been selected in first overall in the Junior draft and second in the Pro draft, Arsene’s career to this point has been burning a path which many of his countrymen may be able to follow in the future. Some players with few who have come before them may feel pressured and crumble, but Arsene has done anything but. Despite having a couple rough young seasons in the SHL in Minnesota, Arsene has not looked out of place in either despite clearly needing some time to reach the peak of the league. His future is one which will keep fan interest in Minnesota for years to come, with his position on the blueline being locked up for the next few seasons at the very least! 206w

The most surprising thing just had to be the time when Minamino was selected at 56th overall in the SMJHL draft. Having little interaction and opportunities to connect with the various GMs and teams at the time, his name was largely unnoticed and any sort of connection to potential teams were sparse, save for Carolina having at least been aware of this young prospect. Yet, the profile of the Japanese winger caught the eye of one scout in particular in Newfoundland, and they saw fit to give him a flyer, in a class that was chock full of talent. Given that Minamino was able to then go onto win a 4 Star Cup, lead the league in points as well as other hardware along the way, it’s hard to imagine him having as much or even more success with anybody else. The tight knit connection that he developed with the members of the cup winning team in S55 has persisted and even grown to this day.

[Image: 1rdovVs.gif]

[Image: X6NDpNM.png][Image: 6eXcLdf.png]

I think the biggest unexpected signing is the fact that in the season fifty, that is season five zero, the simulation hockey league entry draft actually shot the bed. Studs like Samuel Michaud, Aron hernadivic, Tom fiddler, ursin Zimmerman, and bjorn leppanen all were drafted in the second round, compared to first round busts like hariken Iraq’s (drafted by Hallsy), Ricky Bobby (drafted by muerto, z0rem (drafted by JY), and a bunch of others were all drafted as busts. In fact, GMs like WBF, o4er, ml, and others deserve credit for not drafting busts in the first round by drafting users like Augustus want, Ryan Shepard, and Bobby lane.

Ultimately the success of the second round of the season fifty simulation hockey league draft has determined the success of the league in recent seasons, with the GMs excelling in this drafting having excellent seasons in recent history. Perhaps we will chalk the successes of this draft to luck as a recent Atlantic division GM once saiid, or maybe we will finally give the good GMs the credit they’re due.

[Image: fishyshl.gif]
Thanks to everybody for the sigs :peepoheart:

[Image: czechpp.png][Image: czechup.png]

An unexpected moment in SHL history was the Blizzard winning the challenge cup in S49. While we in the Blizzard were very high on our own team after adding big pieces in Nova, Bayley and Von Matt, many did not expect us to take home the cup.

A big reason was during the season we had Bayley on the 4th line to make room for some young players on the team. They had a hard time taking on the higher roles on the team which hurt our regular season record. When it came down to it we were worried we might not even make the playoffs but we managed to pull out one of the last spots.

After the playoffs started, the Blizzard went with their best possible lineup and started to take the league by storm. They beat rivals Calgary and New Orleans on the way to the finals where they took on their former co-GM Ace and swept to wolfpack in 4! It was my favourite moment on the site and a very surprising one!

[Image: TommySalami.gif]

Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard

EDM All-Time Leader in Goals, Assists and Points

Life is full of surprises and for FN LN it’s no different, last season as I was getting off the ice after our final game, the security guard came up to me in a panic. Someone had broken into my car and stolen all my valuables and my car itself. Now you see, this wouldn’t be that big of a deal but this was my dream car that I had just purchased a couple weeks back. BMW M5 sports package custom wrapped and brand new wheels. Who could do such a thing? It was in our player parking garage where only certain people have access… time to investigate. This was a really tough way to start the off season and it just added to the many things in my plate. We recently got bumped and didn’t make playoffs even though we were the 5th best team in the league and still didn’t make it. That was already on my mind and then coming out to my car gone just added to that. I asked Carpy for a ride home and honestly just sat on my couch and screamed. This off-season has been tough, no playoffs, car stolen, getting exposed in the expansion draft… just a lot of change. I know my life isn’t over but I have never really experience and off season like this.

[Image: gurbs.gif]

Asclepius Perseus Flitterwind likes to play bingo, but this time he chose to buy lottery tickets. It turns out he has some luck too.

"I am a man who never succeeds, “the 20-year-old hockey player from Minnesota has been discovered on the phone, who won the biggest possible winnings of $55,000 in the lottery at the beginning of this season. “That's why the surprise is even bigger. Until I was in the awards office, I thought I was going to be told immediately that it was just such a joke,” he says.

The lucky man reveals that he has played the local Bingo most often, and he has only bought tickets at the sales sites. But that day Asclepius's mom told him what and how he had to do to buy a ticket on the Internet. “She also told me what lottery tickets are, pointed out how to buy tickets on the Internet. I decided to try, I registered. My mother had given me $20 on my birthday, and I also decided to spend them on the lottery.”

First you've bought a lottery ticket, there's 100 dollars of winnings. Bought another ticket, there's 100 dollars again!
“Tell my mom, she doesn't believe!” She said she had never won such an amount yet. I decided to buy ten tickets for the money. The big winnings revealed in one of them. "

On how to spend the winnings, the lucky man has full clarity: will be donated to charity. “Given the situation of this moment in the world, this money will be donated to charity. We have to look at how this year will expand. Although I look positive for life as a whole, you never know the different developments. So let the money go to those who need it most right now."

(301 words)

[Image: 47052_s.gif]
[Image: 3NfeQdx.png]
[Image: rwzgzyB.png]
[Image: ju78wnC.png]

[Image: Yztckjo.png] [Image: PlcJv9V.png]

ISFL PT

[Image: hopoate.png]

While many things are happening with Zidane, only one event truly stands out as an unexpected surprise. Zidane was prepared to be the next defensive unit in St Louis for his whole juniors career. While he did play a season with the Scarecrows, something felt off. He didn't feel like the team was heading in the right direction and unexpectedly, asked to be traded before the start of his sophomore season. Zidane's manager has had strong ties to St Louis and got Zidane to their rinks for early looks. Hence why St Louis took him first overall in the S57 SMJHL Entry draft. Hence why it was a big surprise when he asked out. Though no real reason was given as to caused this, Zidane remains confident that it was the right decision for himself as a person and a player. Zidane was traded to Anchorage where he has been partnered with the offensive threat of Gregory Goode. The two are complete opposites in terms of play style and it seems to work perfectly.

[174]

[Image: Niktox.gif]
Specters Monarchs Berserkers Scarecrows [Image: italian-flag.jpg?s=612x612&w=0&k=20&c=tO...eKFgvtgqU=]

Specters Armada Scarecrows Czechia
Panthers Specters Jets Scarecrows Usa [Image: 4star.png] [Image: challengecup.png] [Image: challengecup.png]
RIP Dangel #AD26  |  RIP TDZ

I think that one of the most surprising events that has taken place during my time with the Simulation Hockey League has been the insane finish to the season this year for the Tampa Bay Barracuda. Going into the final sim for the season the Barracuda were in fourth place in the Atlantic and several games back. Not only did they need to basically win out but they had to take down two different Great Lakes teams in the process as well as get some help with other Atlantic teams losing to the right teams. Tampa Bay started off with an upset of Toronto that set all the pieces in motion. New England would go on the same day to upset the division leading Inferno before starting a losing skid that would result in them losing out to finish the season. This opened the window the Barracuda to make the improbable run. With the sudden realization that playoffs were a real possibility the Barracuda would go on to blow out the Edmonton Blizzard, setting up the final game of the season against Chicago. In that game, the Barracuda were win and they are in, but defeating the Chicago Syndicate is no simple task. With the entire league watching the Barracuda would go on to pull off the stunning upset by getting past Chicago 3-1 and punching their ticket to the playoffs.

[Image: 1161116581909246052.gif][Image: cobb.png?ex=663d5bb2&is=663c0a32&hm=7637...ae0e53216&][Image: 1161116581909246052.gif]
Thank you @Ragnar  for the Sig!
Previously: Patrick Shepherd (S52 - S64)

Personally, there are quite a few that surprise me since I've been here in the Simulation Hockey League. The first would be the disappearance of CleverPin, a player who was a highly touted prospect early on. They did so much across the league, they were an intern, head of recruitment, they did fantastic media, and then, poof. Totally disappeared, and hasn't been seen since. Really disappointed. After that, I think it would be a couple of trades. The first would be when Texas traded away Ivan Maximus, which I totally did not expect to happen. Maximus was always a fantastic player and well respected member of his class, and people always were happy to hear from them. Unfortunately they went inactive as well, leading to some unfortunate trades. The last would probably be how Alexei Rykov, former Calgary player and friend of mine, went from Calgary and then ended up in both Hamilton and New Orleans before continuing to bounce around the league which was a big shock to me.

[Image: 59269_s.png]

S66 Damian Littleton

[Image: CsnVET2.png] || [Image: wu5MVvy.png]|| [Image: c8B2LE3.png]
Battleborn | Barracuda | Usa