Create Account

S63 PT #5: Source Code

[Image: XmeLFzq.png]

[Image: Evok.gif]

[Image: merha.gif]

Prompt 2

With the seasons of experience working with FHM under my belt. I have to say FHM does a good job with respect to the line chemistry as I notice that does seem to matter quite a bit. There is also a nice randomness when it comes to shots, but maybe it is because I have stared at this game for too long but the game appears to heavily weight some categories for players and also heavily weight a more defensive playstyle. One can have the shooting slider down, but it doesn't matter as long as the team is playing defensive I guess the engine just takes it as they have the puck for longer and thus takes more shots regardless. Also, it heavily punishes aggression in my opinion, but then again that is where the real NHL seems to be heading with less tough guys and aggressors. One thing I would like to see added, but I'm not too sure if this would make the game too "gamey", is make it so different tactics work well against others, kind of luck a real complicated rock-paper-scissors. Right now I'm not really seeing that, but maybe that would make the game more interesting.

[Image: Dextaria.gif]

[Image: Niz2wua.png]  [Image: iB9r7kM.png]  [Image: 6by0kBi.png]
Thanks to @DELIRIVM, @Moreorless89 and @ValorX77 for the sigs!

I think I would like to see some of the traits explained a bit more clearly. For example bravery - what does that do? And why is aggression a trait if you can influence it in the slider? take that out in my opinion. In terms of the actual sim, I know defence man breakaways are a common gripe, but I think it is kinda fun without ruining immersion too much. I'd love to see some visual components like what the football manager does in SSL or even ISFL. Even if it's dots running around I think that would be more fun to watch than just read a play by play. It would also be nice if there was some clarity on settings so that certain teams don't end up having such a huge advantage. Obviously this is a common gripe, but I feel like team TPE should have a much stronger effect on the sim outcome.

[Image: visceralpotamus.gif]

Prompt 1: If all GMs in SHL were replaced with AI bots, the first thing I would do is change the settings. The settings, from what I've seen doing the box scores for Anaheim are rather hit or miss. So those would need to be fixed pretty massively in order to get it to work better.

Next I would more than likely lower the AI settings for...certain teams and raise them for other teams. For example, some competitors I would make things harder for them to compete, and I would make things easier by lowering the difficulty for teams that aren't doing or traditionally don't do well in the standings. This would allow for an even playing field while giving other players a chance to shine. However, it would also make people pissed off, and rightfully so. But this is all just a hypothesis. I'm not sure if it'll even work out if I were to do it.
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2022, 05:23 AM by Faelax.)

Prompt 2:

FHM is a stupid program and I hate how much time I spend on it trying to make sure my team doesn't suck, but I will say that it does a few things right. Line chemistry makes a big difference in the performance of players, something that is very true in real life hockey (screw you Torts and your line blender), and it punishes players who are really aggressive, much like the real NHL (until you get to the playoffs that is).  FHM also has some weird quirks to it that I think are hilarious. I love how often the AI refs hand out game misconducts, and it's usually attached to weird penalties like slashing or tripping. I like to imagine that the players on the ice got mad at the ref for calling the penalty and just took a swing at them, the mental image for that is really funny.

[Image: Faelax.gif]
[Image: aroach.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png]    [Image: DNLeeu0.png]

[Image: hacker-capuche-concours.png?width=1202&height=676]

Simple.

I make all the other teams play in the exact same way that we play in Newfoundland.

1) Shot Blocks are turned off by default. There is no TPE allowed to be distributed into shot blocking. All TPE in shot blocking will be reused for either Hitting, Fighting, or Strength.

2) Puck Handling and Hits are automatically maxed out. It turns out that - if you don't LOSE the puck, and the other team can't stay on their feet, then you win, yes?

3) Goalie TPE Still Doesn't Matter (a welcome bit of no change, I'm sure)

4) Each defensive pairing has a top flight offensive option and a BRUISER on it. Each forward line has a big bodied boy who can score, hit, and that's about it. Use the Bruiser and the Big Bodied Boy to pancake opposing stars.

and finally, but perhaps most importantly:

5) Each team is given a personality as a team mascot, to end Newfoundland's monopoly on them.

(169)

[Image: vo42C2b.png]
[Image: hTIaaQX.gif]
HIT SOMEBODY

Cheers to tweedledunn and supertardis101 for the awesome signatures!

Step one in making Montreal the best team in the league using fhm's commishioners mode, has to be the game breaking action of giving all the defensemen on the squad 13 shooting accuracy, as it is currently locked to 12. As it is very close to the cap for defenseman, we can always chalk it up to simmer error from the previous weeks updates. Next step, slowly increase the physical attributes for Montreal, and slowly draining the rest of the league. While this would probably give Montreal a surprise SHL Challenge Cup appearance, which would cause a lot of investigation by Head Office due to the team never making the playoffs before, combined with the GMs still being in tact from the previous season will probably lead them to the decision that someone is hacking the fhm file, which would eventually lead them right to my door step, but its okay as Montreal has a chip now, even with an asterisk.

[Image: unknown.png]
[Image: lIYTYDN.png] [Image: 9pUocRs.png] [Image: tCcIWQC.png] 
[Image: Skree.gif]

I think that the sim engine does a pretty good job of representing the sport of hockey in general, but a couple of things annoy me about it. Defensemen taking too many shots is an obvious one, as is the concept of goalie heat. Heat seems to affect the way these players play, which is just silly when you understand statistics and any sport where players "get hot". The whole concept is a fallacy.
It would definitely be nice if the engine could somehow find a way to break the meta - make it so Strat A beats Strat B, Strat B beats Strat C, but Strat C beats Strat A. With one set of sliders and builds dominant over all others, it takes a lot away from the strategic side of the league while pigeonholing player builds.
A final thought would be that FHM6 was released in 2019 and doesn't have a 2D Match engine. To take a comparable game in a different sport, Football Manager had a 2D game engine in 2005, and a 3D one in 2009. I know this was introduced in the very next edition of FHM, but I really can't see why it wouldn't b e in the sim that we use, given its release date. Would really add to the experience.

[Image: crunksig2.png]

I think one thing it does really well is breaking down hockey player's talents into understandable attributes. I mean we could obviously name a million different minute skills that players have and use, but to have to put it into about 20 attributes and come up with this is really really good.

Things I think that FHM does really poorly... Well there are a few. I think one of the main things is that the role system is terribly broken. Changing everyone to goon shouldn't break the game but unfortunately it does. Another thing that FHM does poorly is the fact that the 2D sim engine and the text based sim engine are different under the hood. That kind of means we have to choose one or the other for our purposes. I wish they were the same.

Something I would add to the game is the ability to add tournaments to a file, like one off tournaments, so that we could swap between the IIHF and the Olympics easily.

[Image: doubtfulalpha.gif]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
[Image: sN8N4xa.png][Image: 639861613880541184.png] Cal Juice [Image: 639861613880541184.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] Tomas Zadina
[Image: snacnei.png] Brady McIntyre
[Image: ice-level.svg]

Prompt #2

While FHM does give us the lovely live sim and simulates the game fairly well, there does seem to be factors that cannot be controlled that have too much sway in the final results. You can test for hours and get consistent results but it's all a waste if FHM decides it to be. The rumours of these hidden backend values for dynasties seem to play a role with teams like Newfoundland and Hamilton never stepping back despite the roster quality changing over the seasons. I would say it does a good job at the end of the day and provides us with lots of stats that STHS did not. This allows us to flesh out the SHL and adds a lot of value there, but I'm also left hoping for a change with these constant set backs. Here's hoping that an updated FHM is looming for the league and that it will help us get more control or at least help GMs not waste days away testing to simply keep up.

Code:

[Image: BrettBroadway.gif]
[Image: Hunter.png]

PROMPT 2- Or maybe you squash the devil on your shoulder and leave the game untouched, ushering in a new SHL era of AI GMs.

yeah i know that FHM really a good way to play simulation hockey, but i don't know why i still think it lack something, maybe lack of action to see? cause all i see is a dot and a lot of word to read but not action to see, let's just say ISFL using Draft Day Sports: Pro Football simulator or PBE using out of the park is more realistic for me, we can see al the action going with the ball, and i think it's easier to understand what happen in the game, or maybe get more creative and more realistic like football manager? i think it's gonna be more fun to have hockey simulator that can do something like that. Cause maybe it's not just me that think watching the sim going is kinda bboring...... (sorry simmer didn't meant to say this) but yeah it's not the simmer fault but it's FHM fault (LOL)

Written Task: FHM does its best at depicting the game of hockey through a program. What do you think it does right? What do you think it does wrong? Have you seen anything in the game that you would NEVER see in real hockey, or vice versa? Is there anything that you would like to see added to the game, or added to the way the SHL uses the game? (150+ words).

Franchise Hockey Manager is definitely not a one to one copy of real life hockey, like all sim engines out there. It is very hard to recreate real life in a simulated form, because there is so many factors in real life human hockey that can't be replicated with a simulated environment. In what FHM does well, I think it is capable of making good teams perform well in general, with sometimes some upsets, but nothing like STHS. It's also capable of making defensive defenseman not have over 100 penalty minutes every season, another thing that STHS was not capable of. In the things that FHM doesn't do well, is that there is way too many defenseman breakaways, which oddly enough almost always ends in a goal for the defenseman. You don't really see that in real life. Also FHM has this thing where pretty much only the first line of powerplay gets time, but I don't think it is an intentional feature. Another thing that bugs me is that the penalty timer disappears if there is a goal on the powerplay, but before the highlight even begins, so you already know a goal is coming. These are probably all fixed in a future iteration of the sim, which ideally is what we would use in the future.

218 words

[Image: BriePK.gif]
|Canada |Steelhawks| Armada|

|Canada| Inferno| Knights|

[Image: unknown.png]

Prompt 2:
This isn't really the best question for me to answer as I probably don't watch the sims as much as others do and I've never had any experience with management or coaching so I've never used FHM itself. One thing that sticks out to me right off the bat is the way goalies will perform while being outshot to a massive degree. Being on a good team the past few seasons, I've noticed that even though we are outshooting some opponents like 50-15 or 60-20, more often than not the goalie we are playing against is putting up well over .900sv%. You would not see that on a consistent basis in real life. Another thing about FHM is it doesn't appear to have the 'randomness' factor that STHS has. Hockey is actually a very luck based game, but in FHM you see the top teams be consistently dominant and the bottom teams consistently terrible. In real life usually it isn't quite to either extreme.

[Image: jjfrankiejj.gif]
Credits to OrbitingDeath, Tweedle, Incite, Wasty, and Slothfacekilla for sigs!

Player Profile | Update Page
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2022, 02:31 PM by raymond3000.)

Prompt 2

I think FHM as a whole has been a huge improvement over STHS. From a player build perspective, while there isn't as much variability in player types as many initially though, there still are multiple ways to build a player as opposed to STHS in which there was really only one. Some people will say parity is an issue with FHM, but the issues dont really stem from the sim engine itself, but rather the league rules which constrain a team's roster building capabilities and we've seen far more parity this season than in seasons prior. Live streams in FHM are also a cool addition which allows for further immersion into the league. While I don't really watch any live streams anymore, I almost always had them on in the background for at least the first couple of FHM seasons. It would be nice if FH< could output boxscores though, to provide a quick and easy overview of what happened in each game without needing to rely on screenshots or going through the VOD.

[Image: 17307_s.gif]

StarsnorwayRenegades // PLAYER PAGE || UPDATES \\ RenegadesnorwayStars