Create Account

S68 PT #4: Historian Due: December 18th @ 11:59 PM (PST)

The most interesting part of SHL history is actually SMJHL history. It was not my record, but I had players who have been part of it. That interesting part is the SMJHL goal scoring record, both all time and each season. Since I have been in management in Detroit, that record has changed hands 4 times and 3 of them have been Falcons players. In S64 Sconnie McHits set the league record for goals scored in a single season with 45 goals. It was a great showing, but did not result in a 4-Star Cup for Detroit. Then the very next season Ivan Lacksamus would follow in the footsteps while taking over on the top line in Detroit scoring 46 goals. The next season would see a player on QCC set the new record at 48 goals where it stands at the most in a single season. Last season saw Bnana Nwaffles score 47 goals while leading the league, but was short of setting the single season record. This season will see a new leader as Alex Piastri has already scored 53 goals.

[Image: dangle.png]
     Sig Credit: Ragnar
[Image: vaxlare.png]
Sig Credit: Moosey

Falcons  |  Raptors | Stampede |  Patriotes |  Czechia
[Image: vokU6Ra.png]     [Image: 0ioPVRj.png]

HOCKEY PROMPT Written Task: Some interesting things about real world NHL history facts that I would like to highlight for this point task include first that the Stanley Cup is not without spelling errors. Misspellings of players and the team name is a common but what is bizarre is how Montreal Canadiens historic legendary goalie Jacques Plante’s name, who was on Stanley Cup-winning teams for five consecutive times, is spelt differently every time. Another interesting fact about the NHL is that believe it or not, fans can fill in as goalies for games. . In hockey, teams always keep a list of emergency backup goalies for the rare occasion when both the netminders are hurt or can’t play for some reason. One example of this that will always haunt me as a Maple Leafs fan is when David Ayers an accountant who was over forty years old and had not played anything more then beer league hockey for years came in to play goalie for the Carolina Hurricanes and beat the Toronto Maple Leafs.

[Image: apSD6uj.gif]
[Image: leafsftw1967.gif] 

Malamutes  Stars Malamutes  Stars

pt pass

[Image: jay2233.gif]
Thanks to @Ragnar, @High Stick King and @Maxy for the sigs!

Raptors Argonauts 
[Image: m59RPb7.png][Image: FcWmVTl.png]

HOCKEY PROMPT- Written Task

Not one specific record, but several records that are attributed to one player in their rookie season. The most interesting player who holds some seriously impressive records that I don't think many would attribute to him without knowing, and in all likelihood, never guess in a million years; is Jordan Staal. Jordan Staal who has made himself a quite under appreciated career playing elite defensive hockey either as the third wheel on the Pittsburgh Penguins or the often overlooked Carolina Hurricanes, holds several records that I think it's safe to say are surprising to belong to him. His career high 29 goals (as a rookie) are his career high, and several of them are part of these records:

He is the youngest player to score 2 shorthanded goals in one game.
He is the youngest player to score on a penalty shot.
He holds the record for most short handed goals as a rookie (7)
And the most impressive one of all (to me): He is the youngest player to score a hat trick in the NHL.

There have been a lot of outstanding rookie goal scorers over the years, and Jordan Staal is often overlooked due to his defensive nature and lack of goals over the course of the majority of his career. But these four records are quite impressive, and unlikely to be broken any time soon.

[Image: Flusso.png]
Sig by @Evil_AllBran

[Image: YztPk3T.png] [Image: 6by0kBi.png]

Quote:HOCKEY PROMPT- This is going to be a very similar prompt, but I wanted to give people that have a lot of real life hockey knowledge a chance to flex too.

Written Task: What is the most interesting thing about real world hockey history to you, and why? Is there a particular player, team, or record that you find fascinating? Is there an unknown hockey fact that you feel like more people should know? OR maybe there's a current player that's gunning for a record that you'd like to talk about! I don't know! Go crazy! I just want to learn cool hockey history. (150+ words)

As an avid follower of series such as the almighty Aidan Millward's Racing History Podcast, which I believe has since essentially been just merged into his regular YouTube channel and anyone reading this with an inkling of interest in racing should definitively check it out, I always fond of talking about ventures that fell into the omnishambles category. It perhaps might be from the fact I myself don't mind going through turbulent times in any league I've been in that I can sympathize with those sorts of stories... maybe it's my Brazilian bias too because Roberto "Pupo" Moreno was included in some of those and he's quite the character but I guess hockey also has those.

Now looking into "worst hockey teams ever", most sites will settle down with a list of the ten or fifteen worst NHL teams ever which I think isn't enough of a picture to paint. Let's face it, none of these teams ever managed to be flat-out moved without any warning (akin to the almighty Ottawa Civis née Denver Spurs, whose first Google result for the latter is literally the head-to-head record between the SA Spurs and the Denver Nuggets) or go winless through its existence. See, there's one team that managed to pull that feat - the Plattsburgh Pioneers.

In a similar touch to the ill-fated USF1 team that basically borders between Vaporwave and a case of what could have been, the Plattsburgh Pioneers were basically an attempt to bring a US-based team (mandated to feature an All-US roster as well) into the major junior level as the club debuted on the QJMHL for the 1984-85 season as a group of seventeen United States-born players found themselves trying to operate as a cohesive unit in a rushed manner under their coach, who was also the team's general manager and owner. Their first game was an overtime loss to the Hull (now Gatineau) Olympiques and things just proceeded to spiral down into a nether so deep that it would remain unpopulated until the creation of Bubsy 3D.

Following a 9-3 loss to the Drummondville Voltigeurs, which was merely just another step into a road of its sixteen regular time losses in seventeen games which featured impeccably awful performances such as a 17-1 loss to the Granby Bisons (nowadays the Cape Breton Eagles), a 13-0 loss to the Laval Voisins (now the Acadie-Bathurst Titan) and two 15-2 losses to St-Jean Castors (current-day Rimouski Oceánic) and the Verdun Junior Canadiens (operating currently as the Rouryn-Noranda Huskies); some major news... the plug was pulled and the team was officially expunged from the league for good.

That wouldn't be the last time the Q found themselves featuring a team playing out of the US of A as the Sherbrooke Castors's second iteration would move to the town of Lewiston, Maine and play under the amazing name of Maineiacs (which you're supposed to capitalize as MAINEiacs, making their Wikipedia article a fun listen on Edge's reader function as the bot believes that name should be spelled instead of read normally) until they too went belly up, following eight years not breaking even financially in spite of winning the President's Cup.

[Image: d8gycCg.png]
Scarecrows Dragons Czechia
Player Page - Update Page
Outlungus
Former Players: Yoshimitsu McCloud (LW, #64) - Outlaws pride Platoon Jets Aurora Ireland
Won a Four Star Cup once, knew ninjutsu, picture editors hated him, never tried free agency
Anton Harrier (LW, #90) - Battleborn Rage Ireland
Won WJC gold, liked skateboarding a lot, went to the finals with Manhattan, kept his seat glued in LR
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2022, 06:32 AM by tomtommen. Edited 3 times in total. Edit Reason: needed to noob around to get the video in )

Written Task: Write about any team, player, or record that is important to SHL history, and why. It could be something your player did, or maybe not! What parts of SHL history do you think are most interesting and exciting? Is there an old part of the site's history that you feel is important but often forgotten? Why should more people know about it? Take this chance to brag about how historically important your player is, or to get on your soapbox about how cool someone else is! (150+ words)

I would like to write about signatures on the site. All players. Well, not all, but most players have signatures. Some have more than one too.Some are very fancy and others are simple. The complexity of the signatures are very different. And where do they get inspiration from? If only the birds could talk and spill the gossip. I was wondering about what to write about in this PT and got mesmerized in Leviadan’s Burlok Sulfurgold signature. A little green dwarf with his stick. But first some info about Burlok. He has won the cup thrice. One with Atlanta Inferno and two with the Texas Renegades. He is a member of the 2k club and he has also won a Four star cup back in the day. So what makes him a more memorable player? Is it all the championships? Or how good he was at a personal level? For me it’s neither since I haven’t really seen him play. Didn’t pay attention to the SHL while I was in the SMJHL. I did not know any of this until now. But my main reason for writing this is his signature. His little green dwarf with his stick. Maybe inspired by the dwarfs from the Lord of the rings franchise and perhaps a little bit from this video? I hope so, because I hear it in my head everytime I see his signature.

Words: 219

[Image: TomPedersenCD.jpg]
[Image: cgv4vCv.png][Image: 3Kip7R0.png][Image: ivBf7yq.png][Image: cEbgUph.png]

Prompt 2

The greatest shame of the July 24, 2021 trade that sent Columbus Blue Jackets mainstay Cam Atkinson to Philadelphia for my favorite player, Jake Voracek, is that Atkinson likely will never have a chance to break the franchise records that only he was poised to do so. Rick Nash is Mr. Blue Jacket; despite only playing 9 seasons for the Jackets, Nash has a stranglehold on games played (674), goals (289), assists (258), points (547), even strength goals, powerplay goals, game winning goals, and shots on goal. Cam Atkinson is/was second in all of those categories but one (his 189 assists for the Jackets is good for 4th). It's hard to imagine that Cam would not have passed Nash for several of those records if he hadn’t been traded. Though, with the injury concerns of both sides of the deal—Atkinson has yet to play a minute for the Flyers this season while Voracek is out (possibly for good) due to concussion complications—it’s hard to say for certain. What we can say is Atkinson is just 48 games played away from surpassing Nash for the franchise games played record. Let’s hope for a recovery for the beloved short winger and a potential reunion in Union Blue down the road.

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]

Norway has never had a lot of top talent to make the NHL, and currently the only Norwegian gracing the world's top ice hockey league is Mats Zuccarello, who is currently top-50 in NHL scoring with more than a point per game (30 points in 29 games). Most NHL fans of a certain age will remember Espen Knutsen, and fewer will remember Anders Myrvold entering the league in 1996. But often forgotten outside of Norway, the first Norwegian to ever suit up in an NHL game was Bjørn Skaare, back in 1978! He did only play one game for the Detroit Red Wings - he was injured in his NHL debut - but otherwise had a mildly successful couple of seasons in his north American career with the Ottawa 67's and Detroit's farm team. Skaare played over in Europe, where he made a greater name for himself, usually being the best player on his teams in Norway, Sweden, and Austria. He was still playing hockey at 40 years old when he died in a car crash in Sweden in 1989, and who knows what his legacy could have been in Norwegian hockey had his life not been cut short.

[Image: antonescu.png]
[Image: BKGrppM.png]
Thank you to Ham and Sulo for the sigs!
Scarecrows Chiefs Renegades Dragons Stampede Panthers norway
Scarecrows Specters Switzerland
Scarecrows pride Switzerland
  Armada pride Ireland

Hockey Prompt - On April 10, 2010, the Boston Bruins faced off against the Carolina Hurricanes in the second to last game of the regular season, needing a win to secure a playoff berth. A scoreless first ended shortly after Matt Hunwick took a 2 minute hooking penalty with 18 seconds left in the period, setting up Carolina with over a minute and a half of power play time to open the second period and potentially open the scoring. Things uhhh didn't exactly play out that way. Instead, 32 seconds into the period, Steve Paille beat all the Canes down the ice to get a cleared puck from Zdeno Chara, and made a nice move towards the middle of the ice and potted a shorthanded goal. Things didn't improve for Carolina as less than a minute later, Blake Wheeler would one time a second shorthanded goal past Cam Ward to put Boston up two. Just 15 seconds later, Steve Begin put a third shorthanded goal on the board, setting the record for most shorthanded goals on a single penalty. Boston would go on to win the game 4-2 and clinch a playoff spot. The game was particularly sweet for some fans from Connecticut, many of whom were Whalers fans until the franchise relocated to become the current Carolina Hurricanes, leaving many fans angry about the move and switching allegiances to Boston. (231 words)

Citadelles  S68 - Jarrod Lakemore - C Stampede

I really, really can't believe that Alex Ovechkin is only two or so seasons away from breaking Wayne Gretzky's goal record considering that they played (or are playing) in very different eras, with much different scoring regulations, goalie quality and equipment, better defensive strategies and more players willing to lay out and block shots. It just shows that sometimes you get great talents that are generational. Perhaps the next one will be Connor McDavid who also seems to be poised to replace Sidney Crosby as the next great Canadian player (though Nathan MacKinnon might be vying for that title as well). What I wish is that we could have best on best hockey back so we can see all these great talents facing off against one another again. I'll even take a world cup of hockey thing over the Olympics if it comes to that. Just get my international hockey with NHL players back on please!

[Image: image.png]
[Image: v2ZHYxx.png]

[Image: q3SjpGJ.jpg]

[Image: U9GyyHt.jpg]

Hockey Prompt -

Last year I moved to Everett, WA and while I knew the WHL (and CHL) existed I had never actually seen it in person and it is awesome. I have been a college hockey fan all my life. And really its where players go if they need a few more years of development, but usually after playing juniors. But my first Everett Silvertips game was awesome. I had gone to Pensacola games, ECHL games in Worcester, and tons of college hockey games. But the skill on display in Everett blew me away. The arena was packed. The players were good. And the best part was parking was 5$ (I then went to a Seattle game and payed 60$ for parking Smile). But really these are the kids getting looked at. The best 18-19 year olds don't go to college if they're good enough. They're playing in the CHL and it really shows. Great atmosphere at the game too and (before Elon Musk screwed it all up) I started following the Silvertips on Twitter and they had a great social media team following former players and bragging about players who had been drafted, etc. When I finally settle down I hope to be near a CHL team so I can get season tickets (would mean I have to do it in WA lol).

[Image: 35broks.gif]

[Image: sN8N4xa.png]

[Image: aRCIyeu.png]

HOCKEY PROMPT
So I'll be a homer and take us to Finland. Tappara is historically the most successful team in Liiga (the local pro league) and they had kind of a crazy stretch in 2013-2015.

First in the 2012-13 season they made it to the finals for the first time since 2002-03, but they lost a couple key players in the semi finals (one of them is Aleksander Barkov, you might have heard of him) and eventually lost the finals 2-4 against Ässät. The next season (2013-14) they again make the finals, but lose the game seven overtime against Kärpät. Heartbreaking! Well, not as heartbreaking as the 2014-15 season. They make the finals again, come back from 1-3 to 3-3, but again lose the game seven overtime (the goal was scored by Sebastian Aho, might have heard of him too). Just ridiculous, and absolutely heartbreaking for the fans.

But what makes this story special is 2015-16 season. After three crushing finals losses, they yet again make the playoffs, but now they have a new weapon: a 17-year-old Patrik Laine. He scores a bunch of huge, beautiful goals and is hands down the reason why they again make it to the finals - and this time win it all. Just imagine how the players, especially those who played through the whole stretch, must have felt after the third finals loss and what they then felt after they finally won the championship. An amazing journey.

[Image: sulov.gif]

PT Pass

[Image: Screenshot_87.png]

Writing a book on Sven Svechnikov is both ridiculously easy and a huge honor. Sven has been the first player to both GM and play for an IIHF team at the same time, guiding Great Britain to a gold medal his first season GMing. He has also been a player and GM for the Vancouver Whalers, again at the same time, earning a Four Star cup and recognition as the best GM duo in his time there. He's been a stalwart force on the blue line for both Manhattan and Edmonton, recently going to the finals with Manhattan before falling to Seattle in the 7th game of the series. They don't call him "Best Sven" for nothing, and it'll be very apparent once the book on his career is on sale and topping the charts for weeks. He'll be a part of SHL history forever, and he's not even close to done yet.

[Image: steveoiscool.gif]