Create Account

S73 Championship Week
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2023, 03:35 PM by tomtommen. Edited 1 time in total.)

2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.

1. I am very impressed by the way Philadelphia Forge has forged its own future by mixing young players and veterans. Some of the players were written off due to age years ago, but are still a vital part of the team. Impressive that they overall have such good players in all positions. (52 words)
  2. I would rather be up and coming to be honest. Then you have a longer window and can win more. If needed you can always add more veterans, but it is hard to add more young players without giving up young players or veterans. I do prefer a mix, but it is easier to get the mix when you have an up and coming team. (65 words)
  3. I was sure the New England Wolfpack was going to win the shit this season. So I find that more impressive than beating the Seattle Aurora. The window is closing for Aurora with lots of old players and perhaps not that many young players on the brink of joining the team. New England are still up and coming except in the goal. (62 words)
  4. As I said I had the New England Wolfpack to win and Philadelphia Forge as my second guess. Did not think the Edmonton Blizzard was in a position to win this season. I thought the next season was the start of the Edmonton Blizzard’s window. After that abysmal Ben Waters contract I had no belief in Edmonton, but that might be the perfect solution for getting a shitty team and getting new talent. (73 words)

4 TPE

3. 3 TPE, Forged in Fire (150 words min.)

Forged in the crucible of adversity, the Philadelphia Forge's resurgence after a challenging period stands as a testament to resilience and strategic rebuilding. Instead of dismantling their roster, they focused on astute player development, nurturing young talent, and strategic acquisitions.
The Forge emphasized a patient, long-term vision, steering away from the impulsive teardown approach of their expansion counterparts. Smart cap management and prudent drafting allowed them to build a competitive core. Their sustained success came from a commitment to a consistent system and a blend of seasoned veterans and emerging stars.
Teams like Winnipeg and New England should learn the value of a patient rebuild, investing in youth, and fostering a winning culture. The Forge's story illustrates that success is a process, not an overnight achievement. Their blueprint serves as a beacon for franchises seeking longevity, proving that methodical, thoughtful rebuilding can lead to sustained triumphs on the ice. I am sure Philadelphia will be good next season as well! (160 words)

3 TPE

4. 3 TPE, Winter is Coming (150 words min.)

As mentioned above I really did not believe they would be any good any soon when they signed that 35 million contract with Ben Waters. It was an abysmal contract that made people look with huge eyes at the Edmonton Blizzard’s management. But all in all it perhaps was genius even though it did not work as planned. With that money Ben Waters was set for life. He could get really good without effort. And it might be the reason he vanished like a prick in the sky as Petter Solberg would have said it. Ben Waters disappeared before the team got any good, but he helped make the team really bad and got lots of high draft picks before leaving filthy rich. I would also mention getting Evan Winter for almost free as some shrewd business by the Edmonton Blizzard. Shame on the Dragons for getting in the position of losing their top talent to their arch rivals for shits and giggles. Someone's tough loss is some others gain. (170 words)

3 TPE

Total: 4+3+3= 8 TPE

[Image: TomPedersenCD.jpg]
[Image: cgv4vCv.png][Image: 3Kip7R0.png][Image: ivBf7yq.png][Image: cEbgUph.png]
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2023, 04:03 PM by Massive Coiler.)

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

Spumoni

+3

Code:
3. Written, 3 TPE, Forged in Fire (150 words min.)
The Forge and the Patriotes both won cups in recent memory, but while the Patriotes called it a window and tore everything down to the boards, their expansion brothers in Philadelphia have found a way to get back to the dance. How did they do it? Can they keep it up? What should teams like Winnipeg and New England learn from them?

Not giving up futures is the key to continuing on and building a successful franchise with a multi season spanning window. And if that seems impossible, then you really have to hit on the picks you do have. While we’ve only won once (in S69) we have made it (at least) to the conference finals every season since then. Having young, up and coming players to make up for regressing stars is the key. So that as a player slowly trails off towards the end of their career, that slack is picked up by someone coming in and just starting. Having a top pairing defender picked 8th in S67, winning as a rookie in S69 and now playing a huge role goes a long way. Having a top rookie picked 20th overall in S70 is enormous for a team trying to maintain a competitive, cup contending roster. You have to hit on your picks, you can’t afford to miss if you want to avoid the dreaded rebuild without falling off into mediocrity.

+3

Code:
2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. Two new finalists mark the end of a dynasty in the west and the return of an old heavyweight in the east. Pick either of our finalists, and tell me what about them impresses you the most!
b. The Forge have won a cup with this core, while the Blizzard are sniffing this air for the first time in a while. Who would you rather be - the veteran team that's been here and won it before, or the hungry youngsters taking their first shot at glory?
c. The Blizzard upended a long-time nemesis in the Aurora to get here, while the Forge avenged several previous losses to the Wolfpack as well. Who had the more impressive victory to punch their ticket to the cup final, and why?
d. If it ain't broke don't fix it: Who you got? Who wins? Why?

a. Being on the Forge, I find them the most interesting! The thing that impresses me the most about this team is their continued success. Every season since we won back in S69 we’ve found ourselves at least in the conference finals. It’s been frustrating to not quite be able to get back, so it’s very exciting to see the team make it after a bit of a hiatus. Even if the hiatus included some very strong, contender level seasons.

b. While, as previously stated, I may be on the Forge, I was in a similar position back in S69 when we won and that was a great feeling. To be there for the first time and be lucky enough to actually win was amazing. Plus I knew the team had a lot more in the tank and would be great for a good stretch of seasons. It’s a great spot to be in, versus now where it’s sort of frustrating, just hoping to get back.

+2

8/8

[Image: Flusso.png]
Sig by @Evil_AllBran

[Image: YztPk3T.png] [Image: 6by0kBi.png]

ISFL Off-season Task +3 TPE

[Image: Darby-Reznor-black-and-white-sig.jpg]
[Image: Darby-Reznor-MET-sig.jpg]

Code:

Code:

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

meow

[Image: 485e83ad5709e90ba5a0cffccb717e08.gif]
[Image: umZ0HLG.png][Image: n5T6k5K.png][Image: VGl3CB4.png]
[Image: XigYVPM.png]
:3
Cranberry Sig by @enigmatic
Pride Skates by @sköldpaddor
"You Belong..." Banner by @sve7en
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2023, 06:20 PM by gurbs. Edited 1 time in total.)

Code:

word

Code:
3. Written, 3 TPE, Forged in Fire (170 words)
The Forge and the Patriotes both won cups in recent memory, but while the Patriotes called it a window and tore everything down to the boards, their expansion brothers in Philadelphia have found a way to get back to the dance. How did they do it? Can they keep it up? What should teams like Winnipeg and New England learn from them?

The Forge's success in recent years stems from a holistic approach to team building, prioritizing not only on-ice talent but also fostering a positive locker room culture. Recognizing the importance of player happiness and chemistry, the Forge's management invested in creating a cohesive and supportive environment, enabling players to perform at their best. Smart front office decisions, such as strategic player acquisitions and a focus on player development, have further contributed to their success.

Unlike the Patriotes, who opted for a teardown after their cup win, the Forge took a different route. They built from the locker room out, ensuring a solid foundation for sustained success. This approach not only created a winning team but also established a sustainable culture of success. The lessons here for teams like Winnipeg and New England lie in the importance of long-term planning, cultivating a positive team culture, and making astute front office decisions that balance short-term goals with long-term sustainability. The Forge's model provides a blueprint for achieving success while maintaining a winning culture.

Code:
Code:
5. Written, 3 TPE, No Time for Caution (160 words)
Pick the finalist you think is going to win, and describe what that team needs to do to overcome their opponent and take home the cup. The Forge had the stronger offense in the playoffs, while the Blizzard had the stronger defense. Will those trends hold? Will Justin Time carry Edmtonton to victory?

If the Forge aims to secure victory in the upcoming finals, they must leverage their potent offense to overcome the Blizzard's formidable defense. The Forge's key players must continue their playoff prowess, exploiting scoring opportunities and challenging the Blizzard's defensive core. Strategic puck movement, effective power plays, and capitalizing on the opposition's defensive lapses will be crucial. Additionally, maintaining a relentless offensive pressure can force the Blizzard to play more defensively, disrupting their game plan.

While the Blizzard boasts a strong defensive record, the Forge's offensive firepower, if sustained, has the potential to wear down even the most resilient defense. Justin Time's performance in the net will be pivotal, requiring him to maintain consistency and make critical saves. The Forge should also focus on controlling the tempo of the game, dictating the flow with a well-executed offensive strategy. Ultimately, if the Forge successfully combines their offensive prowess with strategic gameplay, they can lift the cup, breaking the Blizzard's defensive stronghold and securing championship glory.

1. +3 | 3. +3 | 5. +3 = Total TPE: +8

[Image: gurbs.gif]

trivia verification word: tagesschau

11. Written, 3 TPE, Teammates is Teammates (150 words min.)
Do you have any IIHF teammates that play your own SHL team? Do you feel your chemsitry from the SHL carries over to the IIHF? Does your GM play you together, or not? Should they?

I am a proud member of both the Swiss national team and the Simulation Hockey League's greatest franchise, the Hamilton Steelhawks of Hamilton, Ontario. I love the Steelhawks. They are the only SHL franchise I (I as in Sebastien Regazzoni; my past two players were a journeyman who changed teams almost every season and an actual good player who played for four teams which is still kind of above average for a player) have played for, and I love all of my teammates. But the fact of the matter is that I am the only Swiss player on the team, so there's no real way I can test out my chemistry with my international teammates if I have no international teammate on the team to begin with. So GM hallsy please give me another Swiss player to play with. Play us together and watch us go all micool and win the cup.

12. Written, 2 TPE - The Procrastinator Special! (100 words min.)
Looks like [TEAM] won Season 73! Who won and why? What could the other team have done differently to change the result? What was your favorite part of the series?

Edmonton won the cup for the first time in a long time, so congratulations to them I guess. I was rooting for the Forge, a franchise that I have been lucky to play for with a previous player, so I wasn't too thrilled with the result, but it happened. If we're being incredibly honest, I have barely paid any attention to the league this season so I have no idea how the Blizzard won the series because I didn't know it was over until the day I'm writing this. So congrats on winning a cup Edmonton. The last time you won was a season after I left in free agency so good for you I guess.

Armada

Armada Steelhawks Switzerland

Armada Specters Wolfpack Steelhawks Forge Switzerland

Scarecrows pride Chiefs Riot Stars Blizzard Ireland

ty to @High Stick King @EvilAllBran and @Ragnar for the sigs

1. CW trivia. Verification word: Bazooka

PBE affiliate:
https://probaseballexperience.jcink.net/...t&p=650315

[Image: IMG_2927.jpg?width=1195&height=672]

2cents

[Image: 6bk5sdD.png]
                                    Sig by LazyEye

gm pass

[Image: Pythonic.gif] [Image: Championship_Sig.png]

[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] [Image: QtEp67y.png] [Image: 2sRs0Cq.png]

Trivia verification word: guesswork

IIHF Analysis
Well, realistically, Finland are hardly in a position to do WORSE than we performed in the last WJC tournament: two wins, both against another bottom-feeding team in the British Isles, is a rough record but at least one that means there's nowhere to go but up, in theory. What's more worrying is that even with that squad's well below average performance, two of the team's top four scorers aren't returning - both William Tree and Adelbert Steiner have aged out of Juniors participation, and it's hard to see where the points are going to come from to replace them. There's going to be some pressure on the new faces in the squad to do just that, particularly loanee Rodrigo Banes - he did a lot of work to justify being picked highly in the S73 SMJHL draft by Kelowna, but one wonders if he's ready to shoulder this much of the burden. (accidentally bang on 150 words)

Teammates is Teammates
The Falcons class of '73 is going to have a decent amount of representation at the Juniors, that's for sure, but skating in the blue and white? It's just Simo. But this raises an interesting question - while it's never a bad thing to have good chemistry with a teammate, is it not perhaps preferable to shake things up and ensure players experience playing with a wider array of teammates than a domestic squad can provide? In much the same way that a person is said to be an average of the half dozen people they spend the most time with, a player will naturally pick up elements of the game from the players they spend the most time alongside - in this respect, perhaps being alone on an international team makes it more likely that Simo learns unusual tricks from folks he'd otherwise spend no time on the ice with at all. (151 words)

cw pass

[Image: glutes2.gif]
Signatures by Vulfzilla, Jepox, Jess, rum_ham, Ragnar, and myself
[Image: 9vAsr7c.png]
[Image: tkMQzhf.png] [Image: tdKmZA0.png]

(This post was last modified: 11-14-2023, 08:16 AM by FuriousChicken. Edited 2 times in total.)

CW Trivia - Chickenwing
3 TPE

B.
I mean as a Edmonton player next season obviously I want the Edmonton Blizzards to win, even though it does add more pressure, how much better can you do than a league win. I guess I will see so next season, as long as Philadelphia does not win. Also another reason to rather be the hungry youngsters is that you have more good seasons ahead of you, I hope at least.
74 words - 1 TPE

C.
Who had the more difficult route is always a hard one, how I see it the Winnipeg Aurora is definitely the stronger losing semi-finalist, but the East does have the more difficult teams as a whole (in terms of amount of strong potential finalist). Looking at the past few seasons you can not look past the multiple east wins in my opinion.
62 words - 1 TPE

France is a great nation with a lot of great people and players. But a big part of the squad is still pretty young as France don’t have the size of the player pool that certain nations like especially the USA, I mean this is pretty much the reason I am even in the IIHF this season. On top of that also comes that despite coming 9th in the league phase, France did get 4th in the eventual play-offs. Adding these together it will be a difficult task to do better than last season, seeing how the squad is still pretty young, and last season was a really good season. But I do think we might be able to do better in the league phase than last season, getting above 9th out of 14 teams (4th in the conference) could get improved upon. But then I don’t know how good the other teams are so who knows.
157 words - 3 TPE

Total: 8 TPE

[Image: FuriousChicken.gif]

JHO CW Pass

[Image: x17WALp.png][Image: hUtg6sH.png][Image: pPWkZOM.png]
[Image: Q9Ii17g.png]
Credit to Ragnar and Enigmatic for the great Signatures

Verification word: go leafs

10. Written, 3 TPE, IIHF Analysis (150 words min.) How do you think the IIHF federation you play for will do this season? Will you be better than last seasons? Why or why not?

Answer: Season Season Seventy Two was another step in the right direction during its IHHF tournament for team Latvia as it goes through its rebuild. While there is still more growing left for this pretty young team, the new core of the team is starting to hit its prime and has some veteran members from the previous core providing good depth and leadership for team Latvia. Even though team Latvia did not make it out of the round robin stage they had some really big wins against some major players in the world. An exciting thing for this tournament too will be Rodrick Banes wearing the captaincy for team Latvia for his final tournament so I hope that he will be able to lead the team to some success. There are going to be a lot of young talent on team Latvia this season with a lot of promise including Surkhi-Ze'ev, Bordeleau, and Junoir . In addition, there are going to be some players on team Latvia that will be getting close to retirement like Wing, Banes and Marner. Overall, I hope team can improve on their early round robin finish from last season and think it can be done.

12. Written, 2 TPE - The Procrastinator Special! (100 words min.) Looks like [TEAM] won Season 73! Who won and why? What could the other team have done differently to change the result? What was your favorite part of the series?
Answer: The Edmonton Blizzard won the Season Seventy Three Challenge Cup which I want to start off by giving them a big congratulations on a well deserved championship win. They have built an absolute power house drafting from the group up hitting on a lots of picks and then developing them into solid SHL players. In addition they have made some really shrewd trades and kept committed to their rebuild process. They have become the standard for teams that are wanting to have a successful rebuild and expect them to become the standard of regular season and post season success and consistency for many seasons to come in my opinion.

[Image: apSD6uj.gif]
[Image: leafsftw1967.gif] 

Malamutes  Stars Malamutes  Stars

J GM Pass

[Image: 35broks.gif]

[Image: sN8N4xa.png]

[Image: aRCIyeu.png]