Create Account

S78 Championship Week Due: Sunday, September 29th @ 11:59 PM PST

HO CW Pass

hodOOOOr'hOOOdoooooooor hoooodor hOOdOOORRRR, Hooooooodooooorrrr HoooooddddddddoooooooRRRR

SMJHL Stats || SHL Stats
[Image: YZjkK9Q.png] PORTAL [Image: rwqM7d3.png]
Berserkers Elk Falcons Renegades Germany

Stats Pre-S53 || Stats S53+
[Image: yXVPZSm.png] [Image: updates2.png]
Outlaws Switzerland Wolfpack
S53 All-Star and Richan Trophy Nominee
S60 Jeff Dar Trophy Winner
Never forget

CW pass

[Image: x17WALp.png][Image: hUtg6sH.png][Image: pPWkZOM.png]
[Image: Q9Ii17g.png]
Credit to Ragnar and Enigmatic for the great Signatures
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2024, 07:31 PM by xjoverax. Edited 1 time in total.)

Code:

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

gogetit

Code:

Code:
17. Graphic, 3 TPE, Participation Banner
The team’s owner is complaining that the rafters in your arena are looking empty. You’ve been tasked with creating a banner for one of your team’s achievements this season. Did you get eliminated in round one? Sounds like a banner to me! Did you lose a record number of road games? Banner! Win the cup? I guess that’s a banner too.

[Image: 9jLU9WA.png]

Code:

Code:
15. Graphic, 3 TPE, Saw It Coming
Create an image that appears like it could be posted on teams social media, that highlights an unexpected series result from these playoffs, must include at least team logos and series score.

[Image: wjDCvVt.png]

[Image: jovera.gif]

[Image: tZH05l4.png]

CW Pass

[Image: Oats.gif]

[Image: 401.png] [Image: S42cup1.png] [Image: r-Wt4-AB350oooo.png][Image: WuTGq5J.png][Image: XUMDqMO.png]

GM pass

Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights
[Image: VZtEodi.png]
[Image: 1n0REYx.png]

RIP Dangel. See you on the other side, brother

CW Pass

[Image: F84OPdM.jpeg]
Shoutout TheOPSquid for the Sig

GM CW PASS

CW Pass (IIHF Fileworker)

[Image: CrazyMojitoSHL.gif]
Canada Blizzard Stars Renegades  Citadelles Citadelles Renegades  Stars Blizzard Canada 

Cw pass

[Image: jE4ioeC.png][Image: meOh9pz.png]
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2024, 01:17 PM by ZodiacEXE. Edited 2 times in total.)

Task 1: Trivia (up to 3 TPE)
Submitted

ISFL Affiliate PT (3 TPE)

Code:
Task 9 "It Has Been A While" - 272 words (excluding records/points) - 4 TPE (capped at 8 total for the CW Task, covers any incorrect trivia)
To answer this question, I took a look at each team's last 5 seasons in terms of record along with how many points that record is worth.

Toronto North Stars
S74: 30-33-3 (63)
S75: 25-40-1 (51)
S76: 29-31-6 (64)
S77: 30-34-2 (62)
S78: 38-25-3 (79)

Toronto has been near the middle of the pack for a while, slowly getting better over time. The question is whether they'll be ready to take the next step into contention in the next few seasons, which does seem likely given how young many of their players are.

Minnesota Monarchs
S74: 27-36-3 (57)
S75: 26-36-4 (56)
S76: 31-32-3 (65)
S77: 40-21-5 (85)
S78: 27-32-7 (61)

Despite a big step in S77, the Monarch regressed back towards the midfield this season. They have a lot of regression coming up, so it seems unlikely for Minnesota to contend soon.

Baltimore Platoon
S74: 41-18-7 (89)
S75: 43-19-4 (90)
S76: 52-11-3 (105)
S77: 37-26-3 (77)
S78: 36-24-6 (78)

From the looks of it, Baltimore missed their chance to get off this list. They'll need some time to retool and regroup before they get another chance at the cup.

Calgary Dragons
S74: 24-40-2 (50)
S75: 25-39-2 (52)
S76: 27-35-4 (58)
S77: 20-40-6 (46)
S78: 36-24-6 (78)

The Dragons are an extremely young team, and this season has seen many of their older prospects come into their own as they went from lower in the pack to a top-half team. I expect they'll be contenders as they get more players into the big league.

Manhattan Rage
S74: 10-55-1 (21)
S75: 20-42-4 (44)
S76: 31-32-3 (65)
S77: 22-42-2 (46)
S78: 26-37-3 (55)

It's been a long rebuild for Manhattan, but despite sharing a young roster with Calgary and Toronto, it's hard for me to say that they're more likely to break their drought given the lack of a step forward so far.

In my opinion it's between Toronto and Calgary to break the drought first among this list of five. Between those two, I would bet on Calgary... not for any specific reason other than I know a few more people on that team.

[Image: KOKeZZJ.png]
[Image: UCTqPUg.png]

CW Pass

[Image: Sr1Fcwu.png]

(This post was last modified: 09-19-2024, 01:53 PM by amjohnson636. Edited 2 times in total.)

1. CW Trivia (3 TPE) Verification Word: Chop

8. The Path (4 TPE) (220 words)
The path for any team in the playoffs really determines how that team will grow during their playoff journey. From my experience, teams with a worse path that stay healthy tend to do better. Building the necessary tenacity and grit to compete can show in the finals especially if one team has had an easier time than the other team. The caveat to this is if players have been injured or if the team is full of older veterans that don’t have the skating legs that they used to when they were younger players. Having players with less stamina puts a larger shift load on the players with the high stamina and it pulls the team down as a whole. I think that a team that has played more games is especially more diligent defensively. Goalies get extra opportunities to get playoff defensive reps and have more knowledge of how to deal with the high pressure environments associated with these games. Having close games in the playoffs also helps when it comes to positioning and morale. Knowing the looks to make and when to ice the puck on a long shift in order to get a change in is invaluable knowledge that can win or lose games as those decisions can stop or allow for a goal to be scored.

7. Who will win the 4 Star Cup (1 TPE) (68 Words)
[b]I think the Maine Timber will dominate in the four star cup this year. I think they are far and away the best team in the J and that they are on a roll that cannot be stopped. I think that Knights are a solid team, one I did not expect to make it this far, but do not have what it takes to stop the rolling logs.[/b]

GM Pass

[Image: hallsy.png]

Prompt 3:
This is a bit of a nuanced issue, but I think both points are true. Los Angeles has certainly had the harder road to the cup, having to beat the #2 and #3 regular season teams in the SHL to get here. Our defensemen were under more pressure, and just looking at stats is going to be misleading for that reason reason. However, if you look at the teams' playoff stats, they leverage their defensemen very differently on the attack. Many of Tampa Bay's goals come from their defensemen, and not just one or two of them, but their whole top four is in the top eight of playoff defensemen goals. Meanwhile, LA has three defensemen in the top six and four in the top nine for assists. This suggests that Tampa Bay's defensemen are more active and more likely to pinch on the attack, while Los Angeles' defensemen spend more time with the puck on their sticks. LA's defense must thus spend more time on defense than Tampa Bay's, while the latter share more of the defensive load with their forwards. This isn't so much a question of better or worse as it is a clash of two different defensive philosophies, both manned by the best in the business.

Quote:210 words - 4 TPE

Prompt 4:
Goalies are voodoo, and the playoffs are a whole different season. At the start of the playoffs anyone might have called this a close race with a slight advantage to the more seasoned Grzegorz, but once the bright lights turned on, one of these goalies pulled away. Including game one of the finals, played as of today, Grzegorz Brzeczyszczykiewicz has no fewer than four shutouts in this single postseason. Soonika is tied for second with one. Soonika's save percentage is also respectable at 0.908, but Grzegorz's has been an almost unbelievable 0.929 across twenty games played. To further the discrepancy, Tibuk's Goals Saved Above Average is a solid 2.18. Grzegorz's 16.99 leads all postseason goalies by a country mile. Tubuk Soonika deserves all the credit in the world for winning the Eastern Conference and playing a winning playoff game, but Gzegorz is a puck-stopper at the peak of his powers and is here to put on a show.

Quote:157 words - 3 TPE

Prompt 6:
The season before this one was a serious disappointment for Grzegorz. That season and this season represent his peak TPE; after this offseason things go slowly downhill. Los Angeles needed Grzegorz to put up a season for the ages, and with two wins between them and the cup, he seems to have delivered. This season, Grzegorz was one of the best goalies in the league, holding his place in the dense pack at the very top, and then when the postseason came he turned white hot at the perfect time. Two wins to go. If this season ends in a cup win, this will be exactly the season Grzegorz and the Panthers needed it to be.

Quote:116 words - 2 TPE

Max earnable TPE exceeded by one. Leaving these marked as-is in case my word counter fell short on one of the prompts. Claiming 8 TPE total.

[Image: ZergRush.gif]

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

verification: redcarpet

+3 TPE

Code:
10. Written, 50 to 200+ words. Took Me By Surprise
Pick a one SHL or SMJHL team, that isn’t your own, that did not play as you would have expected at the beginning of the season. Did they do better or worse than you expected? Why you think your expectations were off, can you find an explanation for their performance? Does this change how you view them going into next season?

I don't really remember everything about the beginning of the season so some of this might be guessing. I remember New England had a relatively rough start or at least there was a part in the first half of the season where they weren't as good as I expected them to be, considering that they won the cup the season before. You always have very high expectations for a team that was a cup-winning team just a few games before in the playoffs. They didn't finish as high as I would've expected them either and you see how it ended, they got kicked out by Baltimore in the first round. Do I have an explanation for this? Not really, I think this just shows reality and what I like about the league now. Good teams have to lose at some point and let other teams win. That way it stays interesting.

151 words

+3 TPE

Code:
13. Written, 50 to 200+ words. Out With The Old, In With The New
Team Russia got replaced by Quebec, which for sure got people talking about the IIHF. What other nations/regions would you like to see get their own team? Would you think they should replace current teams and if so which ones would you seek to replace? And most importantly, why you think that teams you picked would be more interesting or improve the IIHF in general?

I'm not a huge fan of replacing existing teams. I'd rather see new teams, but I suppose we need the user base for that first and we probably don't have it. There are definitely some European countries that currently don't have a team that could get one. Perhaps Denmark, Hungary or Poland and I'm technically not even against bringing Austria back (either by moving France back there or by expansion). IIHF is always much bigger in Europe than in North America, at least 'in real life' so I'd like to see expansion happening there rather than in some obscure countries in Africa.

102 words

+2 TPE

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]
[Image: AfpXX8l.png]