Create Account

SHL Esports Tournament
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2020, 10:02 PM by artermis.)

TL;DR at the bottom if you wanna skip the story/layout and just wanna sign-up.

I am super excited to kick this off as I've been dreaming about this for months.

It's going to be a rocky start I'm sure, but I hope that this becomes annual, so it can only get better.

What?

This year, as part of the new year's stream, I want to have a multi-game tournament for the SHL.

I was inspired by the several rocket league tournaments that we've had over the years, and felt like this was a pretty easy expansion of an event I already annually and have had a lot of fun in doing.

What games?

Any games that get at least 4 entrants I'll be more than happy to facilitate.

I'll hopefully make some money on some articles on the tournament so I can have a prize pool of some sort.

Official games so far:
League of Legends
NHL 21 Solos - Xbox
Minecraft
Rocket League
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

What's your plan?

So far, what I was thinking was this: group play for 4 weeks (based off the rocket league tournament and other gaming events we have in the SHL game server, one game a week is what I'm expecting), followed by a couple weeks of bracket play.

The idea is to let teams schedule amongst themselves in the group play session, allowing inactive teams to not affect others so much like in bracket play, and to let time zone differences and work commitments sort themselves out. I realize that puts a lot of more weight on the teams than other formats typically do, so I'm all ears on alternative. Perhaps a double-elimination really is best, for example. I just wanted a system that was flexible and still guaranteed more games than a bracket would.

While the group stage is a round robin, instead of a schedule we'll instead set a finish date (currently thinking of around December 20th, groups that finish before will start the playoff brackets.) and who qualifies will just be based off of wins.

I can see how this could pose some issues for some teams that only miss qualification due to being able to schedule a game, so I imagine we can work out a forfeit policy, tie-breakers, or perhaps basing who qualifies off of win % instead with a minimum amount of games played as a criteria (although I'd be afraid that teams would just stop playing after they hit that mark).

Playoff brackets obviously depend on the amount of teams, but for groups I think it safer to have 4 or 5 each, as again I'm expecting an average of one game a week.

I plan to stream some of the bigger game's finals, and even host one during the New Year's Stream itself if possible.

How do I get involved?

Since this is the first one we're doing, I'm am completely open to suggestions, help, volunteers, whatever.

If you have an opinion that you think will make the whole thing better, hit me up!

Nothing I've said so far is in stone, just what I think works best from my limited experience (and many day dreams the past few months).

So, by all means, shoot me a PM on here, or on Discord (artermis#7003 btw).

Where do I sign up?

Right here: Closed

The games are just a shortlist made from popular games from last year's New Year's Stream survey and of a couple picks of our own.

Like i said earlier, any game with 4 or more entrants I'll consider official, and I'll add them it to the survey as we get people signing up for them, so people see them as an option, and I'll keep you guys updated in here as to what's now an option in the survey and what games are now official.

No I do not expect to have a tournament for each of the games listed, nor do I expect to have many games period. I just thought I'd give people the option to choose what they want.

Team sizes were just based off of competitive play teams on esportsearnings.com and the max number of subs is 1 less than the team size.

I ask for in-game usernames so I can try and balance the groups as best I can, but I'm also gonna try to keep groups SHL oriented too, i.e.: eastern conference & western conference, SHL & SMJHL, etc.

If you do not have a team or not enough members sign-up anyway! I'll put together a pick-up squad or something to try and get you involved.

What are the rules?

This is a big hurdle that we'll go through in this first event.

Each game is unique in its own way, and I don't play many of them, so once again I'm all ears on listening to you guys.

On that note, if you're putting in a team, make sure to have the captain as the first team member.

I plan on having a captain's meeting/group to help iron out the game rules and expectations like: game length, game modes (looking at you Minecraft), maps, settings, bans, who hosts etc.

I have good knowledge around Siege and Rocket League, and general knowledge around the FPSs, but I'll need help with the others.

TL;DR?

Vidya game tournament:

Sign-ups closed

Discord here: https://discord.gg/PVjzkGsBD9

PM me literally anything (Don't make me regret saying that, I hope formx doesn't see this)

Sign-ups will close on the 25th of this month (November) to give you guys a week and to let us start shortly after to let us have those 4 weeks of group play (if needed).

I think this is a good start for something exciting and am excited to do this with you guys.

Oh btw, I was planning on calling it the Winter Warmup, since its warming up for the New Year's Stream, but if someone has a better title hit me up.

Also this is more words than when I actually try to make media lmao.

Special comments for Minecraft and Chel:

There's a lot you can do competitively for Minecraft (hunger games, bingo, something Minecraft monday-esque). If you're interested in having a competition in it, deciding what to actually do with it is priority.

Similarly, the Chel's have got a lot of options. I'm a PC guy, so I don't know enough about which ones have private lobby capabilities, so if you want another category, ELI5 and I'll add it.

MWHazard Wrote:i'll playwith anyone
playing with my teammates is part of the intangibles I bring to the table
i play with them a lot.
they didn't like it at first
but after a while, it just felt normal
Justice,Sep 18 2016, 02:09 PM Wrote:4-0 and 0-4 aren't that different tbh
McJesus - Today at 10:38 PM Wrote:FIRE EGGY
HIRE ARTY
[Image: xuHy0EF.png]
[Image: Artermis.gif]

WTB Overwatch team

Neat

[Image: sve7en.gif]

[Image: 1tWWEzv.png][Image: 8zFnf2t.png][Image: 6Lj3x8E.png][Image: xkAdpbO.png][Image: xnZrhKU.png][Image: 9YigPG2.png][Image: bpYxJ69.png]

So we can only sign up for one?

[Image: 59269_s.png]

S66 Damian Littleton

[Image: CsnVET2.png] || [Image: wu5MVvy.png]|| [Image: c8B2LE3.png]
Battleborn | Barracuda | Usa

How you want teams entered, just comma separated?

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

Very good question off the bat:

If you do not have a team or don't enough to make a team, sign-up anyway!

I'll try and make a pick-up squad and get you guys involved

i play with them a lot.
HIRE ARTY

11-18-2020, 05:53 PMACapitalChicago Wrote: So we can only sign up for one?
Sign up for as many as you like, we'll judge it off of how many games we get with enough entrants

11-18-2020, 05:53 PMPremierBromanov Wrote: How you want teams entered, just comma separated?

It's all manual on my end, so commas or list format is fine

i play with them a lot.
HIRE ARTY

11-18-2020, 05:56 PMartermis Wrote:
11-18-2020, 05:53 PMACapitalChicago Wrote: So we can only sign up for one?
Sign up for as many as you like, we'll judge it off of how many games we get with enough entrants

11-18-2020, 05:53 PMPremierBromanov Wrote: How you want teams entered, just comma separated?

It's all manual on my end, so commas or list format is fine

Awesome, thank you for the clarification!

[Image: 59269_s.png]

S66 Damian Littleton

[Image: CsnVET2.png] || [Image: wu5MVvy.png]|| [Image: c8B2LE3.png]
Battleborn | Barracuda | Usa

I play videogames goodly. HMU 4 a good time, in games.

I AM IN

[Image: OzriPox.png]

Player Page - Update Page

artermis,Feb 2 2017, 04:11 PM Wrote:9gag pretty lit tho

So what major event in world history happened to make video games popular?

[Image: honkerrs.gif]
[Image: OPTIMIZED.png]

11-18-2020, 06:18 PMhonkerrs Wrote: So what major event in world history happened to make video games popular?

I know this guy who said nukes made anime, so maybe it made video games too

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

11-18-2020, 05:50 PMInf1d3l Wrote: WTB Overwatch team

:eyes:

[Image: 1rdovVs.gif]

[Image: X6NDpNM.png][Image: 6eXcLdf.png]

down to lose SHL clash to @Kylrad

[Image: sig-e-e-geck-atl.png]

e