Create Account

S58 Championship Week
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2021, 12:03 AM by Keenan.)

Here are this season's tasks for CW. The maximum is 16 TPE. Mix and match whatever tasks you desire, but the maximum TPE to be earned from this is 16.
The deadline is Sunday, April 4th at 11:59pm ET.
Please copy/paste the prompts (including the # of TPE) into your post; it makes it much easier to grade and track.

This PT is for SHL players and send-downs only; it is not for SMJHL rookies or SMJHL prospects.

One (1) affiliate claim from either PBE or the ISFL will be accepted for 3 TPE! *if you’re claiming this and have a different username on the affiliate's site then you need to state that in your post to get credit.*

Please feel free to PM me with any questions or concerns.

Code:
1. Written, 3 TPE (150 words min.)
While these two teams are no strangers to the Cup finals, we did see some very interesting things this season. Looking back, what do you feel was the most surprising part of the season?

Code:
2. Written, 2 TPE (100 words min.)
Oh no, the head honchos of the league are worried that there aren't enough story lines for the finals! Therefore they're changing the rules for the finals. The home team will get to choose to either a) play the whole game with 6 skaters on the ice at a time or b) be immune from penalties/offsides/icing. Whatever the home team chooses, the visitors get the other perk. Which one are you choosing, given the choice and why?

Code:
3. Written, 3 TPE (150 words min.)
Which players, if any, do you see as locks for the Hall of Fame? As in, if they're career ended today they're in. Anyone on the cusp? Anyone on the right track, but still needs to put up a few more great seasons?

Code:
4. Written, 3 TPE (150 words min.)
If you're sitting at home watching the Finals: What do you plan on doing differently next season to help your team reach the promised land? If you're playing in the Finals: Is there anything different you plan on doing next season to continue your team's success?

Code:
5. Written, 2 TPE (100 words min.)
Which SHL or SMJHL team was the best team to not make the finals this season and why?

Code:
6. Written, 3 TPE (150 words min.)
What's your prediction for this season's IIHF tournament? Which teams do you expect to do well (or not well)? Which players?

Code:
7. Written, 3 TPE (150 words min.) or Graphic, 3 TPE
These are two very storied franchises, what is each team's all-time top 3 forwards, top 2 defensemen, and top goalie? Why did you choose them? For graphics people, make a graphic showing both team's starting lineups and some key stats.

Code:
8. Graphic, 3 TPE
Design a Challenge Cup championship t-shirt for one of the teams in the finals. (A four-star cup t-shirt for the SMJHL is ok as well.) Hey maybe if your design is good enough it'll make it to the merch store!

Code:
9. Graphic, 3 TPE
Create a magazine cover that highlights either a player in the finals or a standout player from the regular season.

Code:
10. Graphic, 3 TPE
Design a Challenge Cup/Four Star Cup Championship banner for one of the teams in the finals, like those which appear on the side of the site.

Code:
11. Podcast, 3 or 4 TPE
Record a mini-podcast on any of the below topics!
- Highlights of the S58 season (on or off the ice)
- S58 playoff round-up
- S58 Challenge Cup/Four Star Cup finals Breakdown
- S59 predictions

1 person Mini-Pod: 3 TPE for 5 minutes or 4 TPE for 7 Minutes
2 person Mini-Pod: 3 TPE for 6 Minutes or 4 TPE for 8 Minutes
Post the direct link to your podcast.

Code:
12. Written, up to 4 TPE - Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. Hamilton finished 13 points above Buffalo in the standings this season. What is one thing that Buffalo can do to give themselves a leg up despite this?
b. Hamilton was 3rd in the league in GF this season. Buffalo was 2nd in GA. This begs the age old question: what will win out, a great defense or a great offense? Why?
c. Which of these two teams' brandings do you prefer? Take into account colors, logo, name, location, and anything else you consider relevant.
d. It's all come down to this: game seven overtime. Which four players are you sending out to win the game for you. This is in a fantasy sense, so feel free to mix and match from both teams.

Code:
13. Written, 2 TPE - The Procrastinator Special! (100 words min.)
Welp, you waited until the last day to grind out your CW and the CC finals are longggggggg over by now. congrats to [TEAM], woo! Reflecting back on the series, who gets your vote for series MVP? Make the case why this player deserves it over any other.

Code:
14. Graphic, 3 TPE - The Procrastinator Special!
Welp, you waited until the last day to grind out your CW and you also like doing graphics instead of writing. That's cool, too! Create a Series Recap broadcast graphic - the contents can be whatever you want, but your graphic must list both teams and at least 3 stats for each.

Code:
15. Milestones, up to 3 TPE
New this season, Milestones are folded in with CW. So just link your Milestone claim as task 16 for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total.
SHL Milestones: https://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=114645
SMJHL Milestones (for senddowns): TBD

Code:
16. Written, 3 TPE
I loved this as a mPT when hotdog did it last season, so I'd like to bring it back as a permanent fixture. After all, we could all use a little positivity every now and then. Say something nice about another member or members, no word limit.

Armada pride Armada pride Armada pride Armada pride

[Image: Q4Adkgo.png]

(This post was last modified: 03-26-2021, 11:34 PM by ACapitalChicago.)

ph

Edit: HAH MADE IT

[Image: 59269_s.png]

S66 Damian Littleton

[Image: CsnVET2.png] || [Image: wu5MVvy.png]|| [Image: c8B2LE3.png]
Battleborn | Barracuda | Usa

PT Pass

Armada pride Armada pride Armada pride Armada pride

[Image: Q4Adkgo.png]

(This post was last modified: 03-28-2021, 04:21 PM by DeletedAtUserRequest.)

Code:
9. Graphic, 3 TPE
Create a magazine cover that highlights either a player in the finals or a standout player from the regular season.

[Image: XTOWbMF_d.webp?maxwidth=1520&fidelity=grand]
@Shmurph

Code:
Which players, if any, do you see as locks for the Hall of Fame? As in, if they're career ended today they're in. Anyone on the cusp? Anyone on the right track, but still needs to put up a few more great seasons?

after some thought I think that player is Calgary’s stalwart Defender Brennan Kennedy Jr.. BK was taken with the 19th pick in season 46 and Calgary instantly promoted him to the SHL.. which shows the faith his team had in him as well as the type of talent Kennedy possessed..as a true freshman jumping right on to the Dragons roster. The top line D-Man has racked up more then 415 points! Alongside 1025+ Hits and over 900 Blocks while still boasting a 1900+ player build!. That’s rediculous.. a long career is still ahead of him and there’s no reason to believe the diminutive defender will slow down. Kennedy made the all rookie team and has been nominated 5 times for 2 different defensive awards with 4 all star appearances and a challenge cup championship in seasons 50. Brennan Kennedy Jr. has dipped his foot in every accolade the league offers and through 11 seasons can boast the type of career that every young player dreams about
@bk1689

Code:
8. Graphic, 3 TPE
Design a Challenge Cup championship t-shirt for one of the teams in the finals. (A four-star cup t-shirt for the SMJHL is ok as well.) Hey maybe if your design is good enough it'll make it to the merch store!

[Image: v9ASTC4_d.webp?maxwidth=1520&fidelity=grand]

Code:
What's your prediction for this season's IIHF tournament? Which teams do you expect to do well (or not well)? Which players?

I’m not sure if I’m knowledgable enough to give a real assessment on the current team is in the I HF and who can win, but I will talk about team Austria.. Who was one of the best countries in the world during the S 40s... A franchise that ranked in the top five in the all-time rankings list from S45 to S 49 including being the second best country from S 47 to S 49... in the 50s the country struggled as players retired and new general managers came in but only stayed a short period of time. But I’m happy to say there’s been an influx of new members creating as Austrian and some of those members are some of the best young players on the site! Right now Austria boasts 7 to 9 really impressive prospects including Hybrid defender #A-Rye Izzy. Over the next two seasons we plan to bring up these Young guns.. and while we will continue to struggle.. the short term outlook of team Austria it’s quite healthy... we have a handful of superstar calibre players on the current roster including Esa Parmborg, Alexander Wachter, Barry Batsbak, Jimmy Wagner, Thomas Vanice and Brennan Kennedy Jr.. who are all coming into or in their prime.. so if we can add our young players into the mix with this core group I suspect we will see a rebirth of the Austrian contingent which dominated in the past.

Code:
16. Written, 3 TPE
I loved this as a mPT when hotdog did it last season, so I'd like to bring it back as a permanent fixture. After all, we could all use a little positivity every now and then. Say something nice about another member or members, no word limit.

With his recent retirement as Calgary‘s head GM this is a perfect time to say some nice things about my buddy Esa Anrikkanen. When you look at his resume and you see all of the seasons, wins and titles.. you tend to look at the accolades as his defining legacy. But the truth is these accomplishments don’t happen without the amazing interpersonal skills that Esa brings to the role. He truly tries to get to know each and every dragons player to create a friendship which interns helps him better know what that person would want from his Dragons experience. for 35 seasons he poured his heart and soul into this and It was really nice to see the league come out into his retirement post and flood it with appreciation and praise.. truly showed that the league gets what he has been about.

Code:
c. Which of these two teams' brandings do you prefer? Take into account colors, logo, name, location, and anything else you consider relevant.

I really like Hamiltons Branding.. The logo itself is clean, I like the gray and blue colour scheme as it’s something unique to the league.. The uniforms were done well and they have an awfully cool alternative logo. In full transparency buffaloes branding is pretty cool as well but I like Hamilton a a little better.

Final: 16 TPE

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2021, 03:54 PM by Zoone16.)

Total done: 16/16 TPE

Quote:1. Written, 3 TPE (150 words min.)
While these two teams are no strangers to the Cup finals, we did see some very interesting things this season. Looking back, what do you feel was the most surprising part of the season?
There certainly was no absence of surprises this season. From the rise of the North Stars and the fall of the Syndicate, to the regular season dominance of the Renegades, the season was one of the more exciting ones in recent memory. For all of that, and perhaps through some rose-tinted bias glasses, I feel that the Baltimore Platoon fighting and making it to the playoffs for the first time since the franchise relocated from West Kendall came out of left field. This is a team that had not been in the playoffs since S49, that failed it’s initial rebuild, and was pegged by most to finish last in its division, perhaps even the entire league. Yet the Platoon, who were in fact last in their division by mid-season, following a tough first half scheduling, were able to go on an absolute tear in the second half and bring it back home, led by a Karl Krashwagen who led the league in goals scored, something that no one could’ve predicted.
(170 words)

Quote:4. Written, 3 TPE (150 words min.)
If you're sitting at home watching the Finals: What do you plan on doing differently next season to help your team reach the promised land? If you're playing in the Finals: Is there anything different you plan on doing next season to continue your team's success?
Luca Del Vecchio’s plans for next season remain much of the same. The goal for this past season was maybe making the playoffs as the young players continue to develop and that goal was met with an astounding last stretch of the regular season. This upcoming season, the goal will be to finally get under the 3.00 goals against average and try to aim for a .920 save percentage with what looks to be a more seasoned defensive unit. A few extra shutouts wouldn’t be amiss and if Luca were able to get all milestone TPE that would be a great season on a personal level. Maybe even pushing for another McBride nomination wouldn’t be too farfetched.
Ultimately, the goal is to make the playoffs once more and to try and push into the second round of the playoffs if possible. The task will undoubtedly be difficult but as players start to reach TPE levels where they become impactful, the goal becomes more and more realistic.
(166 words)

Quote:5. Written, 2 TPE (100 words min.)
Which SHL or SMJHL team was the best team to not make the finals this season and why?
One can certainly argue that the Kelowna Knights, who won the SMJHL’s regular season this season, were the best team to not make the finals in either league. They simply dominated the regular season, netting 7 more wins than the next closest team, the Quebec City Citadelles. Weirdly enough, the playoff matchup between the two best regular season teams occurred in the semi-finals, in what should not have been a semi-final matchup save for the weirdness of FHM6 playoffs. Overall, the Citadelles deservedly won the series in what was essentially the cup finals without being the actual cup finals. In the end, you gotta go with the way things are set up in FHM, and they’ll have another day in the sun sometime in the future.
(126 words)

Quote:6. Written, 3 TPE (150 words min.)
Looking at team compositions and TPE levels, I would not be surprised if the IIHF tournament this year is very similar to last season’s IIHF tournament. Ahead of everyone is still Team Canada and Team Great Britain, both sporting an absolutely stacked roster at every level. Right behind them we have nations like USA, Germany & Japan who both performed well last year but came up short in the semi-finals in the past few seasons. A bit further down the tier list we do have perennial dark horses such as Czechia, Finland and Sweden, whom we should never count out in playing spoilers. Further down the tier list, we do find ‘rebuilding’ nations such as Latvia, Ireland & Austria who will all want to make the quarter-finals their goal in the immediate future.
Overall, I expect another final matchup between Canada & Great Britain, unless a surprise causes them to meet in the semi-finals or even worse, the quarter-finals.
(159 words)

Quote:12. Written, up to 4 TPE - Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. Hamilton finished 13 points above Buffalo in the standings this season. What is one thing that Buffalo can do to give themselves a leg up despite this?
b. Hamilton was 3rd in the league in GF this season. Buffalo was 2nd in GA. This begs the age old question: what will win out, a great defense or a great offense? Why?
d. It's all come down to this: game seven overtime. Which four players are you sending out to win the game for you. This is in a fantasy sense, so feel free to mix and match from both teams.

a) Buffalo vs Hamilton is a tale of offense versus defense. The Stampede will need to figure out a way past a strong defensive unit where not a single player is below 1000 TPE. The only ‘real’ advantage is between the pipes where the Stampede have a significantly stronger goaltender than the Steelhawks. Scoring an early goal or two and then shutting down the Steelhawks might have to be the way forward for the Stampede (74 words)

b) Offense wins games, but defense wins championships is an age-old adage when it comes to professional sports. Here we have two teams that know one another very well and that have been at the top of the SHL standings for the past decade. Ultimately, I want to give the edge to the Steelhawks just because they are a much more well-rounded team than the Stampede, but we’re talking inches of separation in what has been a marathon of a season. (80 words)

c) There is no doubt in my mind that the Buffalo Stampede have a better global branding & logo compared to the Steelhawks. The Stampede plays off the name of the city well, the logo, albeit fairly generic in its roundness, encompasses modern art with classic sports looks. The green & gold combination is also significantly different from most teams in the league, where blues & reds tend to be predominant colours. (71 words)

d) Mixing and matching the teams does make this exercise fun. Firstly, I would send out the standard 1 defenseman with 3 forwards. My three forwards would be Bobby Sharp, Michael Scarn & Monkey D. Luffy. They all scored over 30 goals in the regular season and are known for their shoot first attitude. To round them off, I would pick an offensive defenseman like Alexander Selich, who has the most shots on goal for a defenseman between these 2 teams. We’re in overtime and we want two things: possession & shots. This is the best group to do this based on their stats both in the regular season and in the playoffs.
(112 words)

Quote:15. Milestones, up to 3 TPE
New this season, Milestones are folded in with CW. So just link your Milestone claim as task 16 for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total.
1 TPE From Milestones

[Image: Zoone16.gif]

[Image: 9QVaMRC.png] [Image: canybyK.png] [Image: sXDU6JX.png]
(This post was last modified: 03-29-2021, 05:02 PM by Faelax.)

Code:
One of the big surprises to me this season was just how good the Toronto North Stars turned out to be. While I did figure they would be taking a big step forward, I did not think they would end up third in the league this season. The whole team played very well all season, led by recent acquisition Adam Barron, and they cruised all season to a very impressive second place finish in the insanely competitive Great Lakes division and made the playoffs for the first time in the FHM era. Not only did they make it to the playoffs, but they also made a great run, beating a surprisingly scrappy San Francisco Pride team, and continuing to beat a veteran Manhattan Rage on their way to the semi finals. It was a very impressive, even though they lost to a much more experienced Buffalo team once they made it there (suck it @notoriousTRON )

Code:
Oh no, the head honchos of the league are worried that there aren't enough story lines for the finals! Therefore they're changing the rules for the finals. The home team will get to choose to either a) play the whole game with 6 skaters on the ice at a time or b) be immune from penalties/offsides/icing. Whatever the home team chooses, the visitors get the other perk. Which one are you choosing, given the choice and why?
I feel like both choices are very good, but having a sixth skater at all times seems so good. Even though the other team is immune to penalties, offsides, and icing, the extra skater makes it all worth it. If you take a penalty, it goes to five on five play, which is just fine. You can have an extra guy whos job is to aggressively chase the puck in the defensive zone while still playing man on man, or have a guy parked in front of the net at all times (A job I am sure @hockeyiscool would love to have). The tactical possibilities are endless, and should make for some very entertaining hockey.

Code:
In my mind, there are a couple players on Buffalo who would be hall of fame locks right now, and a couple more who need to continue their recent trajectories. Elizabeth Doyle is the most obvious one to me. With an absurdly stacked trophy case, including two Honchos, a Razov, a Jesster, two McBrides and another nomination, along with likely a couple more awards on the way this season, like a possible MVP. Not to mention a few goalie records, like most wins for a rookie goalie and the record for most shutouts in a single season. I don’t see any way where she doesn’t make the Hall of Fame at the rate she is going. Buffalo has a couple of skaters I could see making the hall one day. Monkey D. Luffy and Alexander Selich both have a decent shot in my mind. Each of them have been backbones of the Stampede for a while, and are still going strong. Both of them have picked up a couple awards along the way, and I could see both of them in the Hall if they pick up another trophy or cup along the way.

Code:
The Buffalo Stampede have made it to the finals, and I plan on continuing doing what I am good at to help us beat the Hamilton Steelhawks. Alexander Roach is best suited for a defensive game, shutting down the top forwards of the opposition, and setting up his team mates in the offensive zone. While his skating is not the best, he makes up for it with his sharp mind and ability to read what is going on and make the correct adjustment to shut it down. Roach has also shown a brand new offensive side of his game recently, recording his first SHL hat trick towards the end of the season, and leading the Stampede in playoff goals at the time of this writing. As long as Roach is able to play shutdown defense, chip in a little bit on offense, and stay out of the penalty box, the Stampede have a good chance of bringing home another Challenge Cup.

Code:
The Kelowna Knights were probably the best team from the SMJHL to not make the finals. It is the consequence of the current playoff system where the one and two seeds play in the semis, but they are almost definitely better than any other team on the opposite side of the bracket. They lost in the semis to the Quebec City Citadelles, who were in the same situation last season of being the best team to miss the finals. It sucks to be the Laurifer Trophy winning team and miss out on the finals, trust me I know, but sometimes that is how it goes.

Code:
16. Written, 3 TPE
I would just like to take a minute to thank all of my Buffalo teammates for being amazing people. It took me a little bit to connect with some of the locker room, but I couldn't ask for a better group of people to hang out with every day. Thanks for everything so far, and let's win a few more cups before it's all over! @WannabeFinn@Tomen@fishy@TnlAstatine@Ferda@Lime@Kalakar@Zombiewolf@Mayuu@Nerio@Renomitsu@Evok@ByrdeMan@Grum@5ympathies

[Image: Faelax.gif]
[Image: aroach.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png]    [Image: DNLeeu0.png]

(This post was last modified: 03-28-2021, 12:24 AM by yosh.)

Code:

I honestly find it really shocking and surprising that the Syndicate failed to qualify for the playoffs. After all, it really does come as a bit of a shocker when the defending Challenge Cup champions won’t even get a chance to defend their title in the playoffs. If anything though, this goes to show just how insanely stacked the Great Lakes division is in the Simulation Hockey League. It is just an absolute bloodbath every season, and no spot in the playoffs is guaranteed there. That being said, it also really sucks for Chicago to finish fourth in the eastern conference and miss out. It will be interesting to see if the league makes any changes to address for this in the future. The Syndicate does have a really strong roster still that is also only going to get stronger and better with time. A realignment or change to the playoff system will certainly help them out a ton in the long run, as well as the other Great Lake teams playing in such an insanely competitive division. (WC: 178)

Code:

Well, for Vaseline Podcalzone, he’s going to really have to take huge strides to improve his game with a call up to the Seattle Argonauts imminent on the horizon. He’s proven his worth at the Junior level, captaining the Newfoundland Berserkers in his final season in the Simulation Major Junior Hockey League, but the SHL? Now that’s an entirely different beast in comparison to the J. Podcalzone’s going to really prove that he deserves to be in the league, and needs to be ready to play in a lesser role, but still bring that same level of physicality and energy to the Seattle lineup that he did across the continent in Newfoundland. If he can provide some much needed secondary scoring, or even step up big time and be one of the team’s top scorers (now, that’s probably wishful thinking, but here’s to dreaming), then that could be the drive that the Argos will use to make a huge playoff push. (WC: 161)

Code:
12. Written, up to 4 TPE - Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.

A: Buffalo is definitely a team that’s going to be very hungry and determined to prove themselves. The Steelhawks are a huge juggernaut, but this isn’t a David vs Goliath matchup either. Buffalo is a very strong and capable squad that will be fueled by the urgency to prove that they can be the top team in the league. (WC: 58)
B: I think it’ll be a mixture of both for sure. With both teams being so gifted on both ends, it will really come down to how many quality shots that their offenses get through, while facing down quality defense from the opposing team that will be trying to limit their scoring chances to the perimeter. (WC: 55)
C: I really like the Hamilton Steelhawks branding, because of the color palette. The grey that they use really fits the team well. I don’t know if Hamilton is a huge supplier of steel in Canada, but really, there’s nothing more intimidating than a metal bird. That being said, Buffalo’s logo looks pretty nice as well. (WC: 55)
D: In net, it would be the real steady Elizabeth Doyle, who’s been a huge part of this season for the Stampede. On defense, Samuel Michaud from Hamilton is a huge offensive defenseman that will get the job done. For the forwards, I would go with Bobby Sharp at centre and then the deadly winger Monkey D. Luffy. (WC: 57)

Code:

Claims, 3 TPE

Code:
16. Written, 3 TPE

Wew alright time to spread some beeg yoshi love

@JNH I owe you so much for drafting Podcalzone and giving him a chance to develop and become the power forward that he is today. And outside of the sim league universe, it’s honestly been so much fun vibing with you, whether it’s listening to music with awful playback from mee6, or the newfound Spotify group sessions that we’ve been doing for the past week or so. I consider myself so lucky to have spent these past few months as a Zerker, and even though I’m getting called up next season, you better expect the vibe party to continue.

@teztify Straight up, Lassi was one of the best centres that Podcalzone ever played with, and he was also a great Zerkers captain. And yeah, outside of sim league hockey, you’ve been such a great friend to vibe with. Oh, and yeah, after all this time, I’m still rocking the graphic you made me all those months ago. !tez “Wow, nice graphic!”

@Nhamlet and @juke gonna group y’all together lol, but yeah I was really anxious when I heard that J and Corey were stepping down cause I had no clue who the new GMs would be and I didn’t know how I’d vibe with them, so it was a huuuuuge relief to find out that you guys would be taking over, and honestly this Berserkers team still has that same special vibe to it. The group that you guys built legitimately looks brilliant, and I have a lot of faith that you guys are going to make the Berserkers a perennial juggernaut for seasons to come.

16 TPE

[Image: beegbeegyoshi.gif]
[Image: B7bDIPG.png]
[Image: YOSHI.png?ex=65f214ee&is=65df9fee&hm=80f...e73badf86&]
(This post was last modified: 03-30-2021, 07:49 PM by SFresh3.)

1 + 2 + 4 + 12a + 12d + 15 + 16
3 + 2 + 3 + 1 + 1 + 3 + 3 = 16 TPE

Quote:1. Written, 3 TPE (150 words min.)
I hate the homerism that this will be, but I think the most surprising thing that happened this season was Toronto North Star’s rise to one of the premier Great Lakes teams after being the punching bag in that division for the past 5 seasons.  The team started out by going on a 10 game win streak to beginning the season, being the final team that was undefeated, before falling to the Tampa Bay Barracuda and their goalie, Phillip Weaver, who played on his head for that game stopping all 50 shots that Toronto took that game.  Then there was Toronto finally getting the monkey off their back and beating Buffalo for the first time in after losing the last 28 games to them, and Toronto won the Regular Season series versus Buffalo 4-2.  Toronto finished the season with an astounding 98 Points, good enough for 3rd in the League and their first Playoff appearance in the FHM era.     (159 words)

Quote:2. Written, 2 TPE (100 words min.)
Given the choice I will always take the ability to be immune to penalties, offsides, and icing over the ability to have one extra skater on the ice.  You will be able to get away with so much just from the immunity to penalties, that in itself would be enough of a bonus to easily negate the man disadvantage, then to add on being able to ice the puck at any time is just icing (pun intended) on the cake.  This takes pressure off the defense that once they get the puck, they can just chuck it down to the other side of the arena without recourse.  Then as for the immunity to penalties, you would just send your team out there and they could hack, slash and hit as much as they want against the other team and never have to worry about getting called.     (146 words)

Quote:4. Written, 3 TPE (150 words min.)
After Ryu Jones’ first season being called up for the SHL, it is evident that he will have to work on the defensive side of the ice and getting a bit stronger as to not be pushed around by some of the larger defensemen that have been in the SHL for a handful of seasons already.  With a Defensive Grade of only 50, Ryu’s 26 Hits, 22 Shot Blocked, and Takeaway to Giveaway ratio being 16 to 27 will all need improvement in the next seasons if Ryu wants to move up the team’s lines and help his teams when it comes down to maintaining their level of play that they were able to put together for Season 58.  Ryu Jones will be hitting the Gym daily this offseason, along with watching a bunch of tape of his play in the defensive zone to figure out where he can better his play for the upcoming Season 59.    (157 words)

Quote:12. Written, up to 4 TPE - Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. Well, to start this off, the Regular Season record between these two teams was a very even 3-3 (and two of Buffalo’s losses were taken to the Shootout, but since that does not matter in the Playoffs, we are going to ignore that), but I think Buffalo already addressed what they need to do to get that leg up on Hamilton at the Trade Deadline when they added Dick Clapper to their team.  I see these two teams now on very even grounds, despite what their Regular Season Point Total shows.   (91 words)

d. You only need one player for this Game 7 Overtime scenario, and that is Monkey D. Luffy, Mr. Game 7 himself.  But to fill out the rest of the squad I would put the dangerous Michael Scarn at Center, Samuel Michaud as the one Defender, and the brick wall Elizabeth Doyle in the net.  (though in the Post Season there are 5 skaters on the ice in Overtime rather than the 3 that there normally are in the Regular Season, but I’ll stick with the prompt)   (86 words)

Quote:15. Milestones, 3 TPE
Ryu Jones S58 Milestones

Quote:16. Written, 3 TPE
I just want to give a huge shoutout to the whole Toronto North Stars team, I won't tag you, so you don't have to get pinged, but ML, Ursin, Carpy, Mika, Tony, Charlie, Gurbs, Rich, Squally, Tron, Blitz, Taylor, Moreorless, Honkerrs, Dex, Tylar, and Juni.  This season was definitely beyond anything we could've imagined, and I couldn't have had a better crew to celebrate it with.  I look forward to the next seasons and what we all can do together.

[Image: ScottyFresh3.gif]
[Image: QFNCFWS.gif]
[img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/wiqZK8C.png[/img]
[img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/6QlU4ci.png[/img]
[Image: vHNIXVO.png] [Image: PlcJv9V.png]
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2021, 11:43 PM by 5ympathies.)

Code:

The most surprising part of this season is how long it took for New England to trade me. Word on the street is that Buffalo had made an offer for me before the season had even started, yet New England waited until the half way mark in the season, just a few days before the trade deadline to deal me away. What else is surprising? New England hit the over. Maybe that's why they held on to me for so long, they proved so many people that bet on them to lose more games wrong. That was surprising to me at least. I'm glad I didn't bet on them hitting the under. Next surprising thing is that I hit the parlay, I've now signed with Atlanta, although that shouldn't be surprising if you're paying any attention to this league. It's surprising that I haven't hit 150 words yet, so I have to keep going. Contractions count as two words instead of just one which does not make any sense, so let me just flush out the word count a little extra and that should be 150. Cool. (3 TPE)

Code:

I started writing this on my phone so my apologies for it not including the code of the question but in terms on HoF locks there are a few that come to mind. RM at the end of his career as well as Luffy, once they finally retire, assuming their career continues along a similar trajectory I can see both making the hall. Both of them have had a MVP season and Luffy had won 3 cups so far and RM two? Regardless of the number I can see both of them continuing to win and racking up the points of course. Lastly, I don’t think it will happen but I really really hope I pull it out from somewhere and manage to place myself in the Hall. I guess we will have to see. Aside from us three, because I have just noticed that this is not yet 150 words, I can see Scarn making it just because he has also been MVP, GA because he has already won 4 cups? And AWils because he is also really good at FHM. (3 TPE)

Code:

There are a few different ways for me to answer this. The best would be Toronto I guess? 30 seconds away from making it, they lost in game 7 in OT. The best might also be Chicago who failed to even make the playoffs despite winning the whole thing last season. Perhaps the best is Atlanta, just because I play there now. It is really tough to say. I think everyone expected Hamilton and Buf to make the finals. I got every team correct in my predictions (not counting the games) but every team itself was correct. This league is too predictable and that was one of the reasons I chose to leave Hamilton for ATL and that is one of the reasons why I cannot wait for expansion. (2 TPE)

Code:
What's your prediction for this season's IIHF tournament? Which teams do you expect to do well (or not well)? Which 

IIHF in FHM is a joke full stop. There is no polite way to say this but there is no parity in it. One of three nations (Canada, the United States of America, or Great Britain) win gold with the remained almost always medaling. Canada has won two golds in a row now I believe, and before those two we were winning silver and bronze. In my career I have won gold 3 times and I fully expect that number to double by the time I choose to retire. In terms of who do I expect to do well in the round robin? As an alternate captain for team Canada I will almost obliged to back myself. Historically, in these tournaments I have performed below average, often having a shooting percentage of below 5%. Will that happen again? Almost certainly. I still will, however, have faith in my ability to turn it around, and if I do manage to do so? Well then that is an extra .5 TPE if I do. (3 TPE)

Code:

Milestones (2 TPE)

Code:
16. Written, 3 TPE

I like hotdog, and glutes, and gabe. No tags because I don't want to annoy them every time I edit. I wish we had won it in Buffalo this past season, very unfortunate. I also wish we had beaten Chicago last season, that was brutal. But I liked most if not all of my teammates across the years. (3 TPE)

[Image: j2h9XpS.png]
Thanks to JSS for the signature

[Image: ohmEd0h.png][Image: apAE8qn.png]

(This post was last modified: 03-31-2021, 06:52 PM by Leafs4ever.)

Task 1: (3 TPE)

One of the surprises of the season for me was the play of the Toronto North Stars. Not so much that they were a good team, but just how well they carried that play throughout the season. I expected them to make a jump and compete with the regulars in their division, but to finish in second behind Hamilton was surprising. The consistency was top notch and it's like they knew that if they took the foot off the pedal, the other teams would be breathing down their neck. Kudos to them for shaking up the playoff picture in the East, it was desperately needed.

Another surprise is tied to the North Stars resurgence and that is the Syndicate missing out on the playoffs. The defending champions shocked the league when they just missed out on the playoffs. They finished 2 points out and were unseeded by the upstart North Stars. A shocking result. While it must of sucked for the Syndicate, the East was badly needing fresh blood at the top of the standings, if anything to give the rest of the teams hope that it was possible. The big dogs were still at the top, but seeing the North Stars there and Chicago dropped down is that glimmer of hope that hopefully we see a greater variety of competition in the East.

(224 words)

Task 4: (3 TPE)

While we didn't make the playoffs this season, I was very happy with how competitive we were in fighting for that spot. We held a top 3 spot in our division for a long time, but we just let it slip away towards the end of the season. It was certainly encouraging to see us keep up with the top teams in the division and hoping we can carry that towards next season.

For that to happen, though, I need to step my game up. Yes, I was in my rookie season and it's tough to make an impact, but going into my second season I need to take a big step. The team is trusting me with 3rd line centre duties and I can't put up a -33 again. I need to simplify my game and stay more consistent. I noticed that about halfway through the season my play started to dip so I worked hard on my stamina in the off-season. I need to be in top physical shape to keep up with the elite players on the opposing team. I'm also planning on working overtime on my offensive skill set. I split my focus on offense and defense last off-season and I felt off. This off-season I'm going to build up my offense and become more of a threat to put up points and make the other team have to game plan for my line. I think I can take the next step in my development next season and if I do, that will go a long way towards helping the Monarchs finally get back to the post-season.

(271 words)

Task 5: (2 TPE)

I think this one is pretty easy. The best team to not make the playoffs was by far the Chicago Syndicate. They might be the best team to ever miss out on the playoffs in SHL history. Chicago was unfortunately in the same division as Hamilton, Toronto, and Buffalo and just missed out by 2 points. A couple of overtime losses and they would of found themselves inside the playoff picture, but that didn't materialize. Chicago gave up the least amount of goals in the whole league, was top 5 in goals scored and still missed the playoffs. To play as well as they did and still miss out is gut wrenching, I feel for the Syndicate players.

(118 words)

Task 12: (4 TPE)

There is one big advantage that Buffalo carries into this series against Hamilton and that's in goal. Elizabeth Doyle is the best goaltender on the planet and if Buffalo wants to win this series, she is going to steal it. If Doyle somehow slips up during this series, you can kiss Buffalo's chances goodbye. I don't see her slipping up that much, but she'll need to be at her absolute best. (71 words)

Usually you lean defense, but in this case I think it's offense. Buffalo's best asset is in net, not necessarily on the blue line. I think Hamilton's offense can overwhelm Buffalo's defense and make Doyle stand on her head. Eventually, the Hamilton offense is going to wear down both the defense and the goaltender. Give me Hamilton's offense to lead the way. (62 words)

I'll take the Hamilton Steelhawks' branding. I like the uniqueness of Buffalo, but I love the steel/blue combo for Hamilton and I am bias towards the city as well. I also prefer the name Steelhawks to Stampede, it feels fierce and it's a solid hockey team name. Buffalo's branding is still sharp, but between the two I would rep Hamilton's. (61 words)

I'm sending out Michael Scarn, Aron Hernadivic, Monkey D. Luffy, and Aaron Wilson. I don't care that none of them are defensemen, all 4 are just elite players on both ends of the ice. I know we'd have the puck the whole time they were on the ice and eventually their skill would take over and bury the game winner. (60 words)

Task 15: (1 TPE)

S58 Milestones Claim - 1 TPE

Task 16: (3 TPE)

I'm going to talk about a couple of different people. First up is BadWolf. Every interaction I've had with BW has been pleasant and a genuine treat. Personally, I think the SMJHL has been amazing under her watch and she has the type of presence and approach ability that a commissioner should have. I love having to discuss an issue with her because it always goes so smoothly and we seem to always look at things in a similar vein. Thumbs up to BW!

The other people I want to talk up is the current Head Office. Led by nour, things seem to really quite smoothly. There are a ton of topics up for discussion and usually they're pushed to the side for a long time or forgotten about, but the team nour has built seems to be on top of it as much as possible. I'm very happy to see the SHL in good hands. I hope to see them last for the long haul, for the good of the future of the SHL.

(175 words)

Guy Incognito - D - #24
Texas Renegades
Season 76
15-6-0
Regular Season - [G 2] [A 3] [Pts 5] [+/- +6] [PIM 10] [Hits 12] [SB 38]

[Image: ERs3IrD.png]

PT Pass

[Image: AgentSmith630.gif]
Thanks to @sulovilen, @the5urreal, and @sve7en for the sigs!

PT Pass

Give me 16

[Image: blurrybad.jpg] [Image: zomboy3.png]
Thank you Brandon, Fish, GeckoeyGecko, Karey, Kit, takethehorizon, and Ragnar for the sigs!
[Image: Pw202QP.jpeg]

Player Page || Update page

Fuck killing trivia, shit move

[Image: Evok.gif]

[Image: merha.gif]
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2021, 11:54 PM by trella.)

https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3008112 + 3 TPE

11. Podcast, 3 or 4 TPE
https://soundcloud.com/cade-petrella/tre...cw-podcast 14mins 4 tpe

16. Written, 3 TPE
@SlashACM you my homie one of my best friends our friendship goes beyond whatever team.
cuda yall are amazing im so lucky to have you guys supporting me.
nug guys i love you all a lot i see you all as real friends not just game friends

I think Buffalo can get the upper hand by bringing the most out of monkey D Luffy and Bobby Sharp. I think that duo is one of the best in the league and if they can get on fire then they may be able to push the stampede over the edge to a cup win.

I think the great offense of Hamilton will be able to overcome Buffalo's strong defense. their talents up front are honestly unbeatable. scarn, jones, van der heidjen, rotti, nour, wilson. They have a really good offense who can score in the clutch moments. I think this core of fowads will win them the cup.

I think that I prefer the steelhawks branding over the stampede. I think both brandings are among the best in the league but I just prefer the colors of the hamilton steelhawks branding more. Admittadly, the Hamilton branding is a bit basic, but its still very nice and I have always liked it.

In this situation where I can only send out 4 players in this 3 on 3 overtime i would select elijah jones and michael scarn from hamilton and monkey d luffy and elizabeth doyle from the buffalo stampede. Who cares about a defenseman we in 3 on 3 overtime its open space out there.

13. Written, 2 TPE - The Procrastinator Special! (100 words min.)
I am going to go with the homer pick and chose centerman of the tampa bay barracuda tom fiddler. Fiddler really had a breakout season and led the barracuda to their best season in a long time. this was probably the best individual season that the barracuda have had since the days of flacko langerfield and his offensive production has been greatly appreciated. Fiddler was the life blood of the tampa team and the team succeeded when he succeeded, and failed when he failed. He was the biggest piece of the team on both sides of the puck and was definitely our mvp.

3 + 4 + 3 + 4 + 2 = 16

[Image: pppoopoo.gif]
[Image: 7925.png]
Thanks to @karey and @JSS for the sigs!

Former USA Fed Head, Carolina Kraken Co-GM, Tampa Bay Barracuda GM
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2021, 05:31 PM by sve7en.)

Code:

The most surprising part of the regular season was probably the emergence of Baltimore as the three seed in the Atlantic, as well the emergence of Karl Krashwagen as an elite point scorer. Baltimore has been overlooked for a few seasons now and they're looking to be relevant again much quicker than I think a lot of people expected them to be. They have a young team overall and they look primed to be a playoff team next season and for a few more after that. The most surprising part of the postseason was probably the continued relevance of Edmonton in what was expected to be a gap year for them with their weaker goaltending and salary cap penalties. They continued to operate as they always did though, dragging Hamilton to way more games than I said that I expected them to while predicting the playoffs on Hockey Talk Tonight.

150 words

Code:

At first I figured this was super easy to just take the immunity, an extra skater doesn't get you very far on offense, but after thinking more I think this shapes up close to a permanent 6 on 5 powerplay. The other team can clear repeatedly, and even cherry pick, but you have extra bodies to shut that down anyways. No team is ever choosing to be a man down, as memey as it can be to say you're that awful on the power play, and the extra body in defense and possession is great, you can still spread the ice on offense well enough too.

106 words

Code:
8. Graphic, 3 TPE

[Image: unknown.png]

Code:

a. Buffalo gets a huge leg up from having both the top forward group in the league and a much better goaltender than Hamilton. Their weakness was a bit due to puck luck and a younger side of their defense, which might be hidden with Doyle getting hot and the forwards being used differently.
b. In general, I'd rather have the great offense, with the idea that goalies are a part of that defense and goalies have consistency issues. In FHM and the SHL, I think defensemen have more value than forwards (which is different than the question asked), but I think they generally add to a team's offense a lot still. Give me the better offense all day.
c. Buffalo's branding is better in most regards. Buffalo has an edge in city, mascot, cohesion of the two, and colors, but it also helps that their weakest aspect (in my opinion) is also Hamilton's weakness. I think green and yellow is generally a miserable color combination, but the monochrome steel blue color scheme with a yellow accent isn't doing much for me either.
d. Game 7 overtime would have 5 skaters since it's the playoffs, but if I can only take 4 I'm taking Aaron Wilson for his physical presence, van der Heijden because he wins the game, Augustus Wang because he'll crush for all Wang20 mintues, and Elizabeth Doyle who's likely the McBride winner this season.

53, 64, 63, and 53 words

Code:

+1 - https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3009929

Code:
16. Written, 3 TPE

To some people I don't share locker rooms with
@GCool - Getting you in LAP felt so good after passing on you in the J draft. I'm glad you've enjoyed it back in the league so much.
@Cobbenstein, @suavemente, @Zoone16, @mastersheep - BAP BAP BAP
@Faelax, @Evok - Congrats on the Cup, it's well earned. I know how hard you guys worked for it and how much it means to you two.
@AgentSmith630 - I rag on you a ton, too much sometimes for how good of friends we are. You're a good person, simmer, and you do a ton to make the league a better place.
@GeckoeyGecko - e
@leviadan - You're wildly funny, and raising money last summer was one of the best things I've seen from the site.
@hhh81, @reid, @grok, @roastpuff, @notorioustig - I wish the league as a whole was more like you guys.
@Lime, @hockeyiscool - you guys are trolls but I love it
@Mike Izzy - Good luck running Calgary, sincerely.

[Image: sve7en.gif]

[Image: 1tWWEzv.png][Image: 8zFnf2t.png][Image: 6Lj3x8E.png][Image: xkAdpbO.png][Image: xnZrhKU.png][Image: 9YigPG2.png][Image: bpYxJ69.png]