Create Account

SHL Awards Nominations: John McBride and Aidan Richan

Doyle got it locked up

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

04-08-2021, 01:31 PMThatguy91 Wrote: S50 taking over!

Will Fiddler forever be overshadowed by the glorious career of HLO? Stay tuned and find out more at 9.

S50 >>>>>

[Image: 59269_s.png]

S66 Damian Littleton

[Image: CsnVET2.png] || [Image: wu5MVvy.png]|| [Image: c8B2LE3.png]
Battleborn | Barracuda | Usa

Congrats to all the nominees!

Quote:
Aidan Richan Award for Most Improved Player

Honorable mentions:
Ruslan Zaporozhets [1] Stars

[Image: kermit-window.jpg]

[Image: 9ZNnX19.png]

Canada | Player Page | Grizzlies | Player Updates | Inferno

@reid

Can I give my votes to @PremierBromanov so he can win the award?

[Image: topalo2.png] [Image: sig-nash.png]
[Image: Rangerjasegmailcom.gif]

Will Fiddler forever be overshadowed by the glorious career of HLO? Stay tuned and find out more at 9.

I doubled my career goal total this season. Idk what else to do lul

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

04-08-2021, 04:00 PMPremierBromanov Wrote:

I doubled my career goal total this season. Idk what else to do lul

Play in the West.

[Image: JvI8fTp.png]

[Image: 9tINabI.png] [Image: c97iD9R.png]

[Image: uDjThoa.png]

04-08-2021, 12:22 PMZoone16 Wrote: Soonika not getting a nom is even more egregious than Goodman missing out imo.

Soonika had a fascinating set of stats this season imho that is quite interesting to analyze, but I think it's justifiable not to vote for him over some of the other candidates. A lot of it might come down to how people weigh shutouts - and I'm probably in the minority here (some fellow committee members definitely disagree), but in my opinion they are vastly overrated when evaluating goalies and a big portion of Soonikas case rests on those SO's.

Carpy for McBride!!!

[Image: p82ugau.png]
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2021, 03:05 PM by Duff101.)

04-08-2021, 06:13 PMRomanesEuntDomus Wrote:
04-08-2021, 12:22 PMZoone16 Wrote: Soonika not getting a nom is even more egregious than Goodman missing out imo.

Soonika had a fascinating set of stats this season imho that is quite interesting to analyze, but I think it's justifiable not to vote for him over some of the other candidates. A lot of it might come down to how people weigh shutouts - and I'm probably in the minority here (some fellow committee members definitely disagree), but in my opinion they are vastly overrated when evaluating goalies and a big portion of Soonikas case rests on those SO's.

This tbh, SO's are not really all that useful due to the disparity in shot diff

Frankly I'm more stunned that the best sv% in the league this year can't even get a McBride nom. I understand the tandem argument, I thought that would prevent Goodman from winning, but I think this sets a bad precedent that tandem goalies essentially are inherently inferior.

[Image: Duff101.gif]
Credit to Geck, Ragnar and Juni for sigs
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2021, 03:18 PM by RomanesEuntDomus.)

04-09-2021, 03:03 PMDuff101 Wrote:
04-08-2021, 06:13 PMRomanesEuntDomus Wrote: Soonika had a fascinating set of stats this season imho that is quite interesting to analyze, but I think it's justifiable not to vote for him over some of the other candidates. A lot of it might come down to how people weigh shutouts - and I'm probably in the minority here (some fellow committee members definitely disagree), but in my opinion they are vastly overrated when evaluating goalies and a big portion of Soonikas case rests on those SO's.

This tbh, SO's are not really all that useful due to the disparity in shot diff

Frankly I'm more stunned that the best sv% in the league this year can't even get a McBride nom. I understand the tandem argument, I thought that would prevent Goodman from winning, but I think this sets a bad precedent that tandem goalies essentially are inherently inferior.

I don't think I would have much of an issue voting for a tandem goalie if the split was 40-25, but in this case Goodman played just 31 games which is less than half of the available starts, hell he wasn't even the one getting the most games within his tandem. I would argue that this essentially disqualifies someone from getting a McBride nom. Maybe, just maybe you could make a case if his stats completely blow everyone else out of the water (I'm talking >0.1 edge in Save-Percentage, >0.5 edge in GAA etc), which Goodman, while good, didn't do.

Hot take: Yes, for the purpose of Awards tandem goalies are inherently inferior. Due to the smaller sample size they get to operate under, they need to do a bit more than full starters within that sample to get the same consideration, I don't see a problem with that. We have seen plenty of starters in the past have great early season stretches only to fall off in the second half - being able to keep that level of performance over an entire season instead of just 30 games is what makes you worthy of an Award imho.