Create Account

[2x Draft] Colorado drafting from JURT's POV - Part 5/5 : S60 SMJHL Draft
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2021, 11:42 PM by JURT.)

Intro
With the draft just over now, I wanted to take a look at the last five drafts I spent in the Colorado War Room (not including the one that just happened where I replaced Jumbo in GM Chat since he was away). I'll give some hindsight on who we picked, who I suggested we picked (obviously drafting can be made to look easy in hindsight, but I remember vividly suggesting everyone of these picks). I want to stress how much I love the GMs that have been leading the team since I joined the War Room and that I'm not trying to undermine the job they do or make them look bad (except maybe in one pick in part 3 - S58, but that's only to tease them).

Part 1 - S56
Part 2 - S57
Part 3 - S58
Part 4 - S59
Part 5 - S60

S60 SMJHL Entry Draft
Round 1 Pick 7

Raptors pick: Gabe-Gooney-Waters Harrak @nour
TPE: 362

Season Player Pos Team GP G A PTS "+/-" PIM S S% ATOI GA TA W L BLK HIT
60 Gabe-Gooney-Waters Harrak RW COL 66 7 13 20 -3 18 80 8.80% 11:18 10 6 0 0 5 28

lespoils' choice: Gabe-Gooney-Waters Harrak

When Trips said, around pick 4-5 if I remember correctly, that nour might actually not necessarily want to go back to Detroit like most people apparently assumed, Jumbo jumped on the occasion to talk to him quickly before our turn came. When it was confirmed that nour would be happy playing for Colorado, it was our turn to pick and we didn't think twice. It did pain us to have to forego drafting Leons Briedis like we were initially hoping, but it was impossible for us at that point to pass on the league commissioner. He's been nothing but an incredibly great guy in the locker room and hasn't rear-ended any of us with his car yet. He's also going to have a much more important role this season and we're excited to see it.

Round 2 Pick 20

Raptors pick: Hans Graf @Drokeep
TPE: 374

60 Hans Graf RD COL 66 7 17 24 -9 38 121 5.80% 18:46 22 25 0 0 56 74

lespoils' choice: Duncan Mackenzie
TPE: 339

60 Duncan Mackenzie RW KEL 66 6 11 17 -35 18 73 8.20% 13:36 30 23 0 0 38 94

I didn't do much scouting that season because of IRL stuff that took most of my free time, so I had Mackenzie in mind that looked good to pick at that point. GMs were very high on this Graf guy, however, and since I didn't have a great frame of reference because I hadn't scouted much, I just smiled and nodded. Mackenzie looks like he's doing pretty well in Kelowna, but I wouldn't think for a second about switching Graf. He's turning out into an incredible player: drokeep is one of two rookies from this draft class who have taken the meaning of "locker room activity" to a whole new level. He's got a job, he's pumping graphics that keep getting better and better, he's an incredible team player. Again, nothing against Mackenzie, but Graf is an absolute beauty and will be a top defenseman for us as long as he'll be in the SMJHL.

Round 3 Pick 32

Raptors pick: Donald Jr Trump @Junior
TPE: 343

60 Donald Jr Trump RW COL 66 5 9 14 0 31 84 6.00% 14:05 24 19 0 3 61 109

lespoils' choice: Darwin Koff
TPE: 376

60 Darwin Koff RW VAN 66 10 13 23 0 24 96 10.40% 9:58 24 14 0 0 22 52

I'd had a good chat with Koff and, much like probably every other GM that had passed on Junior before, I was less than charmed by the name, so I wanted to go with that guy who I already knew was funny but also could be a little bit of a troll, but in a funny way and not to the point of someone who would unironically name their player Trump. Luckily, the GMs had had a good conversation with Junior and reassured me before drafting him that he wasn't what people feared he would be. Koff wouldn't have been a bad choice, obviously but Junior is fitting well into the locker room, like everyone from that draft class, probably the best we've had so far.

Round 4 Pick 44

Raptors pick: Jamal Nightingale @academydropout
TPE: 310

60 Jamal Nightingale LD COL 66 1 16 17 -5 14 55 1.80% 19:00 36 23 0 0 102 103

lespoils' choice: Jamal Nightingale

I didn't have much from my scouting left, so I went back to the "smile and nod" technique. We got ourselves a great defensive defenseman in Nightingale, not the most active guy in the locker room but he makes sure to swing by every once in a while. We actually realized during the S61 draft that he's around way more than we realized, he just has a natural low-profile and just mingles so well I guess. Excited to see how he fits into the defensive line-up this season, looks like him and Graf will be the pairing to watch for the next few seasons.

Round 5 Pick 56

Raptors pick: Max Manning @jay2233
TPE: 366

60 Max Manning C COL 66 3 15 18 -14 10 72 4.20% 11:22 22 9 0 0 73 28

lespoils' choice: Max Manning

I lied when I said I didn't have much left from my scouting. I had sent a buttload of site DMs to people we hadn't had the time to reach out to late into the night before the draft, and I had ONE person who responded. This guy who didn't have much done on the site (missed the IP thread and Mock Draft which are big ones at the beginning) had answered my questions and was still available, and we didn't see anyone else that we liked, so we took a chance. They say nothing good ever happens after 2am, well that DM I sent him at 3am definitely was a good thing. Manning didn't have the best rookie season, playing on the 4th line for all of it didn't help. He's going to step up into a larger role this season, but more importantly he's such a great contributor to the site and Locker Room, he can only be destined to greatness. He's the little brother I never had (sorry @LarryTheMVP), he has more drive than most people on this site, sometimes he's a lot to handle but it's so worth it, I wouldn't want him to change. Fate brought him to Colorado and I would've sent nour to rear-end Tig's car if we hadn't gotten him in Seattle.

Round 6 Pick 68

Raptors pick: Kristián Ženatík
TPE: 187

60 Kristian Zenatik C COL 11 1 1 2 -7 6 11 9.10% 10:02 5 0 0 0 8 5

lespoils' choice: Kristián Ženatík
I had already forgotten about that guy. Romaneus popped into the LR and told us to take a chance on that guy in the sixth. We had the roster space and RED is a trustable guy so we just went with it. He didn't stick around, but the rest of this draft was so ridiculously good that a 6th rounder not panning out is the least of our concerns.

Code:
2149 words, 851 without stat tables. 2x media

[Image: lespoils.gif]

you are awesome jurt

[Image: jay2233.gif]
Thanks to @Ragnar, @High Stick King and @Maxy for the sigs!

Raptors Argonauts 
[Image: m59RPb7.png][Image: FcWmVTl.png]