Create Account

Tom Fiddler reflects on a career

With the Toronto Star exiting the playoffs, Tom Fiddler has played his last SHL game.

When I joined the SHL in fall of 2019, I had no idea what I was getting into. Its a cliche at this point. How many of us have looked back at the years in awe? For many of you, this is a familiar sight. The first player gets laid to rest. There's a reverence there that is difficult to match with recreated players. In the same way you never really replace your first pet. And it comes with the same forlorn feeling on your soul when you think about it.

Tom Fiddler began his career with the Montreal Militia, taken in the 3rd round. It was the first draft for not only GMs @FuzzSHL and @trella , but also for many long time users. @ACapitalChicago, @Z0REM, @Fitted2106 and many who are no longer in the league. In the beginning, I was looking for a Fantasy Hockey itch similar to a Dynasty league. I had never wanted to join a dynasty league full of strangers, but the size of the SHL seemed a good place to get lost in the crowd, maybe make a few friends. I think my discord had about 5 servers on the side. Fast forward a few months, and Montreal won their last 4 star cup, a total upset from start to finish. And there was much rejoicing.

Shortly after, the Militia rebranded to my all time favorite branding, the Carolina Kraken. As rookies became sophomores, we felt great pride in our new identity. It was a chance to make this league our own home, without the baggage of team history, old alums, and simmering grudges. This was in large part to the efforts of trella and fuzz to revive a dying locker room, with an emphasis on new creates. It became very easy to get along with people who were in the same boat. And the success helped a lot. It was at this time that I began to go inactive. I don't remember why. I just stopped caring. But, if it wasn't for this beautiful team, i would've stayed inactive.

We ended up winning back to back cups. Nothing can really top singing "Sweet Terry Guy" in the voice chat, half drunk on victory. It spawned a new tradition in carolina with Terry Bradshaw, something no one really understood but the Prophet himself, Michael fitted.

I cant thank the Carolina team enough for what they did for me. The friendships made there will never leave me and its always a pleasure to lurk in the LR and see what's happening.

In S50, I was drafted by Buffalo by @WannabeFinn and @Tomen . It felt like going to a new school. Despite warm welcomes and great users, I felt more than anything that I knew no one and I made little effort to fit in. Meanwhile, my friends get drafted together in Calgary and other places.

A few seasons deep, with no more playoff luck in Carolina, Buffalo made the hard decision to go with Hernadivic instead of Fiddler, which was probably the right choice given the cups they won. I was traded to Tampa Bay, a team that was also undergoing a bit of a change.

Maybe "a bit" doesn't do it justice.

@MCP_ was in the middle of a complete teardown, the likes of which have yet to be duplicated in the FHM era. But I was ecstatic to be there, since Fitted was part of the team. I met some new folks like @Rankle and @TomHanks that made the transition easier, especially as my time in Carolina came to a close and new players were burdened with making it their own. You don't want to be that 21 year old hanging around the high school.

The teardown was so successful, in fact, that the locker room became very quiet, in stark contrast to buffalo. However, i think that's exactly what I needed. I can get overwhelmed if there's a lot of messages, and as a consequence become very anti social.

I was fine with being part of a rebuild. It was another opportunity to make Tampa my own place with the players that remained. In S53, I had my rookie season and put up a reasonable amount of points playing for a mediocre team that was trying to sell off assets. We also started with FHM, which was great because I was getting bored with the builds in STHS. FHM was an exciting opportunity to really open the league up to so many different playstyles. We all kind of know how that went, but it was exciting nonetheless. The following season, we won zero games out of 50. Not even an overtime loss.  That season was big for my player. It was something I could exist in defiance of, a challenge to remain strong in the face of tremendous odds. A lot of what I do is to spite the universe. It's one of the reasons I'm sill on earth today. I look at dire situations and say "Fuck you" and that's what keeps me going. I refuse to be belittled, at least not without a fight. So a winless season was apparently my calling card.

Soon after, MCP was fired for breaking too many rules, and @trella and @hockeyiscool stepped up to the plate. I don't have enough good things to say about these guys, and I'm betting no one has anything negative to say about Dwight kekw. Trella was such an influence for me in Carolina, and to have him lead the charge in Tampa was so encouraging. Dwight as new to me, but it was quickly evident what a great guy he was. Thanks to both of you for keeping the team running for nearly 10 seasons together. Both of you invited me to the war room and made me feel like a real leader. I had my first draft as a scout in S54, and although i can barely remember what happened, it was critical to keeping me interested in the league. Thank you both for being such great leaders and for being a voice of reason in the war room, keeping me on track.

I cant honestly give a good account of who was drafted, who was traded, or who came in free agency. But, suffice it to say, a lot of good people came through, many of whom i miss. I will attempt to thank them now. 

@Fitted2106 Bud it's been me and you against the world for over 2 years now. I don't think there's a single user I get along with better in all matters of life. There are days when you've been busy that I think about you and hope everything is okay. There is no Tom Fiddler without Michael Fitted

@Rankle It's been a pleasure to get to know you over the course of these 2 years. James Ronlain is a true inspiration to what an underdog can really accomplish. I expect that franchise goals record to break in the coming season. I'm glad we've been able to keep you on the team this whole time and in Great Britain as well.

@MyLittleHexx Any time you've got something to say in the LR, it makes me smile. I really enjoy keeping up with your bow hunting shenanigans and Rimworld disasters lol. It's a shame we couldn't keep you around, but im glad you didnt leave the server. 

@Rangerjase I dont think there's a single user on this site who has a negative thing to say about you. What can i say that others have not? Your propensity for wholesome silliness is part of the reason we've been able to attract so many great players of late. And everyone loves Nash. 

@Geekusoid We havent had long to get to know eachother, but it's been so great the entire time. You started the theme of spamming asron bot with custom messages and i'm so glad for it. It makes me laugh any time we bust out a GROND or an INSPECTION and it really makes the play-by-plays interesting. It's been great working with you on simming techniques and I think the grizzlies are in great hands. 

@roastpuff I was so happy when we were able to acquire you from WPG (or free agency, who can tell). You've been the backbone of our defensive core and a leader in the locker room. It's always great to hear about whats going on in western canada with you and r0tz and I always appreciate your perspective in our political chats. 

@r0tzbua I think you mustve been one of the first players I helped draft and at the time I was so excited to have you on board. I still am! Similarly, it's always great to hear about whats going on in western canada and especially your dog

@Jericson I don't know if our locker room would be quite the welcoming place without your presence. It's always great to see you streaming and hear about what your family is up to. 

@Wally Thanks for giving Tom Fiddler a retirement home, and thanks to the entire TOR locker room for making me feel welcome

There are so many others to thank, and all along the same lines of "I really enjoy seeing you around and talking with you". I also have the world's worst memory, for that I apologize if you were not named and felt jilted. Just know that you had an impact on me whether you knew it or not. If you've been part of the Tampa or Carolina family, you've had tremendous positive impact on me.  

Not a bad career. nearly 700 games, 430 points, one of the league's worst +/- in history, and over 1000 shot blocks. I set out to make a defensively responsible center and I think, except for the years where we hardly won anything, I accomplished that. It's a shame I didn't get to lift the cup, but maybe I will get to do that as GM.

GP G A P +/- hit SB Shots SH% GA TA
657 146 284 430 -213 777 1013 1520 9.61% 292 393

I know I am not always the kindest or nicest person on site. I know that i am disagreeable almost by default, as I have many dumb ideas on how things could be different. I need you to know that I care about you, despite all my words and actions. I've called the SHL home for 2 and a half years, which is an eternity in Covid years. The SHL would not be the community it is without so many users working hard to make it a welcoming place, and for that I thank you. You teach me so much.

It's become such a huge part of my life, in a way that I think every user understands. Many of you step away because of how important this league can become. 

One of these days, I will have to step away too. But it is not this day!

As I embark on a new player, with a new title and new challenges as GM of Tampa Bay, I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for one hell of a wild ride. Here's to the next adventure! Cheers!

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

It's been a pleasure, Fiddler. Best of luck with the new adventure <3

[Image: 59269_s.png]

S66 Damian Littleton

[Image: CsnVET2.png] || [Image: wu5MVvy.png]|| [Image: c8B2LE3.png]
Battleborn | Barracuda | Usa

One of the best!

[Image: JvI8fTp.png]

[Image: 9tINabI.png] [Image: c97iD9R.png]

[Image: uDjThoa.png]

Love you bro, so glad you stuck around and I’m proud to call you a friend

[Image: pppoopoo.gif]
[Image: 7925.png]
Thanks to @karey and @JSS for the sigs!

Former USA Fed Head, Carolina Kraken Co-GM, Tampa Bay Barracuda GM

You have been such an awesome presence in the Toronto locker room… I wouldn’t have done it any other way. Thank you for all you brought to us! Stars

[Image: Wally.png]

Fucking A career!!!

_/_/_/

Congrats on the career, and it's been awesome getting to talk to you in Toronto!

[Image: olivercastillon.gif]

Thanks @enigmatic, @Carpy48, @Bayley, @Ragnar, @sulovilen, & @dasboot for the signatures!

When I recreate u better trade up to number infinity to take all 47 Michael fitteds that will be created and also end imperialism

[Image: Fitted_3.png]

2x 4Star Cup Champ s49 s50

1x commissioners excellence award s 50

I'm so glad to have been your teammate for so many seasons and I'm even more glad that you're my GM now Barracuda

[Image: rankle.gif]
[Image: 9rbVE0N.png]

Barracuda Chomp Chomp Water Dog Barracuda
Scarecrows Scarecrow Noises Scarecrows
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

Congrats on the career!

[Image: 65151_s.gif]

[Image: Tqabyfh.png] [Image: OOcGSpM.png]

02-16-2022, 08:34 PMFitted2106 Wrote: When I recreate u better trade up to number infinity to take all 47 Michael fitteds that will be created and also end imperialism

i just promised z0rem i would trade to acquire him 1st overall, so dont create when he does

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG

Fiddler for Hernadivic 1 for 1 rn no take backsies

[Image: fishyshl.gif]
Thanks to everybody for the sigs :peepoheart:

[Image: czechpp.png][Image: czechup.png]

(But also stick taps on a great career and congrats on the reverse sweep)

[Image: fishyshl.gif]
Thanks to everybody for the sigs :peepoheart:

[Image: czechpp.png][Image: czechup.png]

02-16-2022, 11:58 PMfishy Wrote: Fiddler for Hernadivic 1 for 1 rn no take backsies

youll have to dig fiddler up out of the grave

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG

I forgot to mention that I had 1 career fight win and thats all that matters

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG