Create Account

Twilight players
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2022, 11:58 AM by Ragnar.)

This may have been suggested before but I just thought about it and figured I’d throw it out there.

We see it in the NHL all the time - a player is in the twilight of their career, aka they are no longer good enough to play in the NHL, but they still love playing hockey so they opt for an AHL contract.

There may not be much interest, but what if a player regressed to the point they were ineffective in the SHL but didn’t want to retire. There could be a “twilight player” rule where they could sign with an SMJHL team for a certain amount of seasons to finish their career.

This could increase the amount of players in the SMJHL, even if by a few per season, and the SMJHL could use all the players they could get. Additionally, it could help with parity as well.

There could be a limit to the amount of twilight players per team so teams couldn’t abuse it, like say one per team. 425 cap would obviously still apply.

03-06-2022, 11:55 AMunconfident69 Wrote: I think rather than regressing to below 425 because that would take absolute forever, you'd maybe get the option after say, 18? 20? Seasons to just instantly reduce yourself to 425 permanently for 2 seasons or however long. I really like this idea because it can get new users access to vets in their juniors LR and can revive interest for certain people with older players on the cusp of not being useable in the shl

I didn’t mean wait until they regress to 425. I meant like basically when the player decides they’re no longer effective in the SHL, they can declare as a twilight player, redistribute to 425 and sign with an SMJHL team.

Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab
[Image: 64012_s.gif]
Sigs by Me, Merica, High Stick King, Rum_Ham, Jess, vulfzilla, enigmatic, and Carpy
Stampede  Kraken
❤!! RIP to the big homies 701 and Mac !!❤

Haha that's pretty cool actually. There are so many IAs in the J it's a cool idea and could help new players have more access to vets

[Image: honkerrs.gif]
[Image: OPTIMIZED.png]

kind of a sick idea tbh

[Image: glutes2.gif]
Signatures by Vulfzilla, Jepox, Jess, rum_ham, Ragnar, and myself
[Image: 9vAsr7c.png]
[Image: tkMQzhf.png] [Image: tdKmZA0.png]

love a good vet player!

[Image: 1091735715194343496][Image: merh.gif][Image: 1091735379956211812]
[Image: jZtKPwK.png]    [Image: Thz4BYW.png]    [Image: ivBf7yq.png]    [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

[Image: merha.gif]
[Image: kvwHYOm.gif]
gay heghog

Not sure having vampires and werewolves on the ice will improve the J.

I do like this idea, having the ability to jump back to the J at a certain point would be pretty cool.

[Image: 65151_s.gif]

[Image: Tqabyfh.png] [Image: OOcGSpM.png]

I think rather than regressing to below 425 because that would take absolute forever, you'd maybe get the option after say, 18? 20? Seasons to just instantly reduce yourself to 425 permanently for 2 seasons or however long. I really like this idea because it can get new users access to vets in their juniors LR and can revive interest for certain people with older players on the cusp of not being useable in the shl

yes

[Image: bluesfan55.gif]
Armada Steelhawks Switzerland

Armada Specters Wolfpack Steelhawks Forge Switzerland

Scarecrows pride Chiefs Riot Stars Blizzard Ireland

ty to @High Stick King @EvilAllBran and @Ragnar for the sigs

03-06-2022, 11:55 AMunconfident69 Wrote: I think rather than regressing to below 425 because that would take absolute forever, you'd maybe get the option after say, 18? 20? Seasons to just instantly reduce yourself to 425 permanently for 2 seasons or however long. I really like this idea because it can get new users access to vets in their juniors LR and can revive interest for certain people with older players on the cusp of not being useable in the shl

I didn’t mean wait until they regress to 425. I meant like basically when the player decides they’re no longer effective e in the SHL, they can declare as a twilight player, redistribute to 425 and sign with an SMJHL team.

Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab
[Image: 64012_s.gif]
Sigs by Me, Merica, High Stick King, Rum_Ham, Jess, vulfzilla, enigmatic, and Carpy
Stampede  Kraken
❤!! RIP to the big homies 701 and Mac !!❤

Love this idea. Also helps the veteran presence in the J locker rooms.

[Image: 3WSeHAA.png]

Honestly speaking. I always wanted to go back to the J to finish off my career.

[Image: 57771_s.gif]

[Image: U66t7Jy.png][Image: CXrxOKM.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png][Image: zyyvIFD.png]

[Image: lUeg4KM.png]
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2022, 12:03 PM by By-Tor.)

The only potential issue I see is teams prioritizing twilight veterans over new players. If we capped it at one or two per team, I think it's a fantastic idea. 

Edit: lol you addressed this. I vote for the cap you suggested then kekw

[Image: DqlVneu.png][Image: FVlMRDN.png][Image: q30YniK.png]

Credit to enigmatic, Merica, and tweedledunn for sigs

Fuck that sounds cool

[Image: 59269_s.png]

S66 Damian Littleton

[Image: CsnVET2.png] || [Image: wu5MVvy.png]|| [Image: c8B2LE3.png]
Battleborn | Barracuda | Usa

03-06-2022, 11:57 AMRagnar Wrote:

I didn’t mean wait until they regress to 425. I meant like basically when the player decides they’re no longer effective e in the SHL, they can declare as a twilight player, redistribute to 425 and sign with an SMJHL team.
Then we're on the same page lol

Honestly this would be a really cool idea and mirrors real life too. Players don’t just blink out of the NHL, they go to other leagues or go home to keep playing. This could be really cool.

[Image: vd5hdkM.png]
[Image: XigYVPM.png]
[Image: umZ0HLG.png][Image: VGl3CB4.png]
Sig credits to @sköldpaddor @ihatereyson

If the J is struggling with players then they should contract it by a team by two rather than have old players fill it out tbh.

I'm not against the idea though, and i haven't seen the numbers for players per team. This idea has been up a lot earlier but never got too much traction, but perhaps now is the time?