Create Account

S69 PT #1: Surplus January 29th @ 11:59 PM (PST)
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2023, 11:39 PM by erikvm. Edited 1 time in total.)

Hockey Prompt:

The NHL salary cap is widely considered to be one of the most effective and well-designed salary cap systems in professional sports. One of the main reasons for this is that it helps to promote parity and competitiveness among teams. By placing a limit on how much teams can spend on player salaries, the cap prevents teams with deep pockets from buying all of the best players and dominating the league. Instead, teams must find ways to build a competitive roster within the constraints of the cap. This leads to more interesting and exciting games, as well as more opportunities for underdogs to upset the league's powerhouse teams Overall, the NHL salary cap is a well-designed system that helps to promote parity and competitiveness in the league, making it one of the best salary cap systems in professional sports. Baseball has my least favorite structure, basketball allowing teams to sign players eligible to go over the cap hurts competitive integrity, and football is close to hockey, I have no qualms with it.
[Image: vuuzHtJ.png]

[Image: HjWsKHU.png]
Signature by @enigmatic

[Image: ohmEd0h.png] [Image: apAE8qn.png]

CREATIVE PROMPT
The City of Kelowna has generously donated $3,000,000 from its annual budget to support its junior hockey team. This amount of money in the right hands could turn this British Columbian franchise into a dynasty if they utilize it effectively. The Knights have been on the receiving end of some poor early-season scheduling over the last couple of seasons, and the thing that the team could use most is a recovery facility. The team would first double the size of its physiotherapy team to accommodate the number of persisting injuries that could spell doom heading into the playoffs. After that, they would improve their facilities by adding temperature-controlled environments to stimulate blood flow or lack thereof depending on the needs of each individual player. If there was any leftover money from the initial surplus, I think the team would add some leisure amenities for the players to make use of in their downtime, such as gaming consoles and tabletop games.

Code:
CREATIVE PROMPT - Wow! All those improvements you made to the neighborhood around the arena have really paid off! People love the area more than ever. Attendance is at an all time high, and your franchise is making money hand over fist. Since you did such great work with the city, you've been given $3 million and asked to turn your eye to the team's needs!
What the team really needs is team cars. Players are coming from all over the world and buying fancy new cards that go way too fast and getting into car accidents along with not really knowing how to drive because a lot of them come from countries that don't have the same driving laws. What we need to do with that 3 million dollars is spend on safe, electric vehicles for players to drive to and from the arena in. The car I would choose is the Hyundai Ioniq. It's a large enough car to be able to lug around hockey gear if need be, it gets great mileage on a big battery and is generally comfortable. It'll be a great amenity for attracting free agents and is eco friendly because it's electric. With whatever is leftover we'll have mandatory driving classes for all new players to the team to prevent them from getting into accidents. It's a liability for the team and bad PR whenever that happens.

[Image: doubtfulalpha.gif]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
[Image: sN8N4xa.png][Image: 639861613880541184.png] Cal Juice [Image: 639861613880541184.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] Tomas Zadina
[Image: snacnei.png] Brady McIntyre
[Image: ice-level.svg]

What upgrades and changes do you make to your team's locker room, lounge, fitness room, parking garage, whatever! Use your 3 million wisely in order to make the best facilities possible for your teammates. Are you upgrading to some fancy new future tech? Is there something old and rotten that you need to replace? Are you mad that your parking spot is too far from the ice surface? Talk about what you're changing and why! (150+ words)

Before reading the prompt Egli wasn't mad about how far away the parking lot is from the rink. But now he's absolutely chapped. First and foremost Egli is having one of those airport conveyor belts installed from each parking space leading directly to the dressing room. 

And, now that you've mentioned it, a few more amenities wouldn't hurt. Maybe we could beef up the comfort level in the locker room, instead of stalls everyone gets a lazy boy recliner and their own flat screen. Just enough time between periods for an episode of King of the Hill. 

As for the fitness center, I think it's time we use some of these funds to remove more of the unused equipment. Like treadmills, and weights, and well... everything, really. 

And maybe we could get a Shake Shack. Not just in the arena, but like, right in the dressing room. Couple of burgers to go with King of the Hill. Now that's hockey.

[Image: FG1uDPY.png][Image: QAcQptc.png]

[Image: image.png?width=1290&height=855]

[Image: arTbD7O.png]

Germany Berserkers Stampede Stars Barracuda syndicate

When it comes to locker room additions and modifications, I'm all about improving camaraderie as much as possible.  That's why I'll take one suggestion from every player when it comes to what to add or change.  For me, I'm adding a golf simulator!  It's a great way to let off some steam, stay competitive against your teammates, and work on a hobby that you can continue to play well into your retirement.  After talking to my teammates, I've also heard that they want a soft-serve ice cream machine, which I imagine the team doctor might have a problem with.  Pool tables are another common one, which I'm neutral on.  I'm just not a very good pool player, but it's fun.  The main improvement that many of us have mentioned would be individual tablets that can either stream to any one of the televisions in the locker room or be streamed to.  So we can watch highlights, watch opponents' film, or just catch up on our favorite Netflix shows from the comfort of our locker.  It makes everything so much more convenient!

181 words

[Image: pkHEmu9.png]

Patya am knowing what for upgrade. Patya been watching Behind The Battle for Columbus Blue Jackets of some other hockey league, Patya not knowing which one it is but it called something like NHL. Anyone heard of this? Anyway, Patya am see how beautiful new locker rooms and fitness rooms being, and Patya thinking having rooms like this be much good! Is important for offer latest and greatest to players of SHL for make playing better, which make more fans because competition much better! Patya only problem is not knowing if 3 millions of dollars is enough monies for complete this transformation. Patya probably would make sure is good with accounting for not overstretch budget so as to not be spending too much monies, but just enough monies. Maybe this not possible with this amount of funds, so Patya am just have for pick one. Patya thinking he pick locker room because team chemistry is much important for good playing.

Lore: Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5
[Image: 65011_s.gif]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png]   [Image: HKi05IH.png]   [Image: gs89eGV.png]

Creative Prompt

Mikko Rashford and another $3M, someone needs to get his spending under control!
Mikko turns his attention to the Locker Room where the first order of business is getting a few practice baskets and throwing spaces for himself to play Disc Golf.
Next, Rashford decides that the players eating and lounge space needs an overhaul.  Three full-time chefs are hired to take care of the team's needs
The Lounge furniture receives an updated and receives a great space for ping pong, bowling, and a few virtual golf sims for the guys to unwind.
The team's workout facility receives a great boost as well, because you can't simply get swole without the right gear.

The final chunk of money goes to updating each of the individual player stalls in the locker room.  Each one is customized to the player (if you have seen College Football ones, you know what I am talking about)
Everything a player needs is setup and ready to go, the only thing remaining, actually performing on the ice

[img=0x0]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/889201044154904606/1150524829653536909/mikko.png?ex=65bff03f&is=65ad7b3f&hm=7f3229285f883239ca6017785e905ed3ff0a8b42b94f57638f43c11a5e635414&[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/4028.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/5431.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/5570.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/7241.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/5906.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/6149.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/7950.png[/img]

Creative Prompt

After blowing $2.9m on the new speaker setup for Ben Jammin, the rest was put to cage our secret weapon.
[Image: JByQc88.jpg]

[Image: ScottyFresh3.gif]
[Image: QFNCFWS.gif]
[Image: wiqZK8C.png]
[Image: 6QlU4ci.png]

Hockey Prompt

The NHL salary is necessary but in its current state it is more or less ineffective. The whole idea behind the salary cap is to make it so that no super teams can be bought. In that regard the current version of the salary cap is mostly successful. There are a handful of competitive teams every year, and they need to make tough roster decisions regularly. The two biggest problems are how the cap works in relation to LTIR players and the salary basement. The fact that a team gets to move salary off their books completely while a player is on LTIR and then when the playoffs roll around the salary cap disappears is bogus in my book. The cap should apply for the entirety of season and the post season. While the basement is a good idea in the theory, it has not allowed lower tier teams to be minimally effective. It has only created cap dump havens for the better teams of the league. There needs to be rules regarding the movement of players who will never actually skate again.
(183)

[Image: EmersonSHL.gif]
[Image: uDjThoa.png]

Written Task: The salary cap is an interesting symptom of sports and how owners tend to spend their money. Back in the days where leagues were stitched together by the loose rules the owners could only just tolerate, it was only natural to assume that the owners would spend as much money as they could or wanted to in order to make their team as good (or as bad) as possible. Owners like the Steinbrunners proved that without a salary cap, even in modern times, if a team needs to win, damn the expense, they will sign anyone they feel necessary to accomplish that goal. Salary caps in leagues like the NFL and NHL ensure that teams are on equal footing, and mean that the league is putting out a better product over all of its franchises, as opposed to some good and some bad teams on frustratingly uneven footing.

[Image: TRVzgUB.png]

GrizzliesGrizzliesGrizzliesMonarchsMonarchsMonarchsMonarchsMonarchsMonarchsMonarchs

shl-oldshl-oldshl-oldUsaUsaMonarchsMonarchs

Quote:Written Task: What is your opinion on the NHL salary cap? Is it great? Bad? Needs improvement? Tell me why. Is there another league that has a cap structure you like more? Do you have a compelling argument for removing it all together? Would allowing teams that could afford to spend extra money on players be too unfair in this day and age? What do you think? (150+ words)

I grew up kind of not liking the idea of a salary cap but I kind of lost interest in baseball because of the overspending by some teams. Then the NHL had that lockout and implemented the cap and I've really liked it. I think there can always be improvements but overall it is a pretty good system compared to the other sports leagues. The area where I would maybe change would be to give teams who draft a player some extra cap space for those players. So that teams that drafted really well, are rewarded and it isn't just a bought league. So maybe something like a 3% savings on a players cap if they were your teams draft pick.

I have a hard time sympathizing with teams who complain about the cap not going up and being hamstrung when you see the kind of contracts they are throwing out. It is all of their own making. Maybe lower ticket prices so that more people can attend the games and owners aren't tripping over profits to throw at underserving players.

[ 184 words ]

[Image: yyo9APg.gif]

Written Task: What is your opinion on the NHL salary cap? Is it great? Bad? Needs improvement? Tell me why. Is there another league that has a cap structure you like more? Do you have a compelling argument for removing it all together? Would allowing teams that could afford to spend extra money on players be too unfair in this day and age? What do you think? (150+ words)

I think the nhl salary cap needs some fixes. The main problem is players finding teams with the least amount of tax and going there because it’s obviously more beneficial. Better players because they are getting paid better and free agents stacking one team due to the less tax they have to pay so they get majority of the best players. Florida or Tampa etc… another problem is it does not go up enough and players keep demanding more and more and more. So now you get teams that drown and essentially cannot escape the bottom of the standings due to their #1 player asking for 12 - 15 million and you have to fill a roster so that’s a one helluva problem. None the less it’ll all work out in the end and I’m sure they will fix it but it will be apart of the next bargaining agreement. They just have to make some more rules to it. It’s way better than the nba and I cant stress that enough so at the end of the day the NHL does the best it can with the revenue and such. It’s my fav league of all time I can’t say too much about it as I don’t think cap is so much and issue outside of the taxation between teams. But if there is a problem I’m sure it’ll all be dealt with.

200 words

Quote:CREATIVE PROMPT - Wow! All those improvements you made to the neighborhood around the arena have really paid off! People love the area more than ever. Attendance is at an all time high, and your franchise is making money hand over fist. Since you did such great work with the city, you've been given $3 million and asked to turn your eye to the team's needs!

Written Task: What upgrades and changes do you make to your team's locker room, lounge, fitness room, parking garage, whatever! Use your 3 million wisely in order to make the best facilities possible for your teammates. Are you upgrading to some fancy new future tech? Is there something old and rotten that you need to replace? Are you mad that your parking spot is too far from the ice surface? Talk about what you're changing and why! (150+ words)

I have no genuine idea, man. I guess I'd use the money to set up a chill spot for fans to come for a visit and just sorta hang around. Like, set up some stuff for people to play around with like video games, an air hockey table, maybe a place to watch game footage or some documentary about the team's history. You'd also have some comfortable chairs, a couch or two, some tables for people to play card games and then a way to have some solid ventilation so the place ain't heated or anything.

Of course, you'd just spend a bit of that money with it but then you could just keep the rest of the money for maintenance since stuff tends to break and all. Personally, I'd want a couple of pinball machines so that people could come around and blow a night just watching some balls roll.

[Image: d8gycCg.png]
Scarecrows Dragons Czechia
Player Page - Update Page
Outlungus
Former Players: Yoshimitsu McCloud (LW, #64) - Outlaws pride Platoon Jets Aurora Ireland
Won a Four Star Cup once, knew ninjutsu, picture editors hated him, never tried free agency
Anton Harrier (LW, #90) - Battleborn Rage Ireland
Won WJC gold, liked skateboarding a lot, went to the finals with Manhattan, kept his seat glued in LR