Create Account

S73 Championship Week
(This post was last modified: 11-16-2023, 01:38 PM by CementHands. Edited 3 times in total.)

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

CW TRIVIA LINK

Pickles

3 TPE

Code:
3. Written, 3 TPE, Forged in Fire (150 words min.)
The Forge and the Patriotes both won cups in recent memory, but while the Patriotes called it a window and tore everything down to the boards, their expansion brothers in Philadelphia have found a way to get back to the dance. How did they do it? Can they keep it up? What should teams like Winnipeg and New England learn from them?

Back at the expansion draft it was looking very much like Montreal was going for a win now mentality and Philadelphia was chasing a build for the future mindset behind drafting. Both strategies very nicely worked out well for them, and I believe it lead to some less competition on prospects. Since the expansion draft, both teams have been busy – making moves to shore up their spots, but there is one difference I think is quite notable – stability. Montreal has undergone a few management changes, where Philly has been stable. This may have effected Montreal’s longevity as they might have been influenced to trade away future picks and budding players for win now, where Philly has had the luxury of slowly building their arsenal. Hitting strong with their early picks, especially in small class years has been monumental in keeping the pipeline strong. I think they have been a good example of building a team. You don’t need a lot of picks, just good picks, and if you don’t whiff on them you can have a very strong pipeline, so maybe in a lot of cases blowing up for a million picks tampa or san fran style might not be the ideal rebuild.

Code:
203 Words

3 TPE

Code:
12. Written, 2 TPE - The Procrastinator Special! (100 words min.)
Looks like [TEAM] won Season 73! Who won and why? What could the other team have done differently to change the result? What was your favorite part of the series?

Well by now I am pretty sure Edmonton won. Simply put Philly needed to win a game at home in the series. It was a high scoring series that I’m sure the fans would have loved, but man these playoffs stretch on. 2 games a day might seem like a lot but the series take so long to finish up. Maybe some fatigue played into philly? I think their core is a little older so maybe if they relied on some youth a bit more they would have been in better shape come overtime. Either way, congrats to Edmonton. It simply wasn’t meant to be in Philadelphia this season, and my chase for a cup will continue.
Code:
117 Words
2 TPE

8/8 TPE

[Image: krash.gif]

[Image: kLRJavo.png][Image: ZjgHcNL.png]

[Image: s9JOf1N.png][Image: wW0VNnL.png]

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

Verification Code: Woo

Code:
10. Written, 3 TPE, IIHF Analysis (150 words min.)
How do you think the IIHF federation you play for will do this season? Will you be better than last seasons? Why or why not?

I think that the Swedish Juniors team has a great chance in this year's world juniors championship. Sweden has always been lucky in the fact that we have a lot of options for good, strong players to come take the ice. Our general managers have a really tough job deciding who To select for the team, but they always put together a team that works well together and gives us the best chance to win. To be honest, I am a little nervous about this years tournament. I feel like the pressure is on my player more than it has been in the past, mostly because I am now the veteran. I will miss my line mate Tony Soprano, but I am excited to play with the youth and see what kind of talent we gave coming up. This will be a challenging tournament, but I think if we keep working to improve and work hard to find lines that work for us, we can finally reach the promised land and get that gold medal for our team.

(178)

Code:
Looks like [TEAM] won Season 73! Who won and why? What could the other team have done differently to change the result? What was your favorite part of the series?

Wow! It looks like the Maine Timber won the Four Star Cup! Maine was a strong contender for the cup throughout the season. Logan Webb and Shootin Blanks were unstoppable on offense, combining for 45 points. They were also supported by some stellar defense, like Mick Mayhem and Jeff GoldBlum. To be honest, I could see this coming from the last series. My Vancouver Whalers were stacked and had everything to play for. But, Maine swept my team and dominated throughout. The finals were similar, with Maine dominating Newfoundland and winning in 5 games. Did this come down to who wants it more? Maybe. But the Timber were a talented, determined group and deserved to lift the four star cup at the end of this thrilling, exciting season.

(128)

Code:

moist
+3 TPE

Code:

This is usually an easy one for me. Not so much this time. When NOLA took two of six in the first round against Edmonton with two other games being very close, I didn’t think Edmonton would make it past Winnipeg if they made it past the second round. In the east, I thought New England was a shoo-in for the finals. Boy was I wrong on both accounts. I have nothing against the Blizzard or the Forge, so I didn’t really care who won. I was maybe leaning more toward Philadelphia since Edmonton has won plenty of championships and thought to myself, “if Philly can make it past New England, they should be able to take care of business against Edmonton.” Wrong again. This turned out to be a great series, going to seven games with Edmonton coming out on top with the eventual Cup winning goal coming with under three minutes left in game seven. I’m not sure either team could have done much differently. It was already an extremely tight series with both teams getting to the finals in surprising fashion (at least in my eyes).
[189 words]
+2 TPE

PBE AFFILIATE CLAIM
+3 TPE

[Image: the5urrealshl.gif]

[Image: 9TttCL9.png][Image: n25g4JC.png][Image: P0OHsLJ.png][Image: DS1jqys.png][Image: M98Qi4H.png]
[Image: KOKeZZJ.png]

Code:

correct

3 TPE

Code:
How do you think the IIHF federation you play for will do this season? Will you be better than last seasons? Why or why not?

I don't know if I am elgible to play for team Japan, as I am in my fourth and last year of the SMJHL, but that is where we are. 
I would love nothing more than to represent JAPAN on their quest for greatness, and I feel that they are going to crush it this upcoming season. I personally will be better than last season, my TPE is now is the mid 700s, and I would probably be able to actually make the roster, in a fourth line checking role more than anything. But as they say, contributing just a little bit to something is better than being on the couch watch someone else play! In terms of the team for the SMJHL, I don't think i was actually selected for whatever reason, maybe it was my lack of production in last years tournament or what, but the GM seems to have gone younger than me (and im young!). In terms of overall team makeup, at the professional level, JPN should be nearing its peak or close to it. We had a stong finish, medalling in last year edition, so my hope is that we can continue to do that again.

3 TPE - 201 Words

Code:
11. Written, 3 TPE, Teammates is Teammates (150 words min.)
Do you have any IIHF teammates that play your own SHL team? Do you feel your chemsitry from the SHL carries over to the IIHF? Does your GM play you together, or not? Should they?

I actually did have a teammate of mine that was on the same national team as me! Nike, or Holee-esmokes, was on my squad this past season! Now, I should say this was on my SMJHL team, so not quite SHL. But, we chat constantly and try to carry over that chemistry to team Japan, especially as we both make it to the senior squad! At the SHL level, aleks and I both play for JPN (or will) -- so I have been constantly picking his brain all the time about tips and tricks I can do to elevate my own game as a new player. He is one the leaders of the team so I have to carry the legacy of JPN forward as members age out! I do think that developing chemistry with core players on INTL teams does in fact carry over! Again, it's all a matter of HAVING that drive to want to improve and get better, if you do, good things will happen, regardless.

3 TPE - 168 words
-------------------------

8/8 TPE TOTAL

“I thought I was a goalie, but STA told me forget being a goalie they make nothing, and no one cares about them.  Guess what I was a center all along and I had no idea. Now I am the toast of the town, and I am getting offers from all the GMs and Scouts.”

– Spidey Talent Agency, on Activity Check

Code:
verification word: verified

Code:
Looks like Edmonton won, and looking at the boxscores, it really could have gone either way. Both teams won a few high-scoring games and most games were really tight. The tipping point, and my favorite moment of the series, was the game 5 OT, where EDM managed to come up top and got two chances to win it. That was definitely the point where PHI just should have found a way to score. They even had a power play just moments before Laraque’s OT winner. They managed to force G7, but they never even had a lead in that game, and Edmonton’s eventual victory seemed inevitable. There was another key moment at the end of G7, where the game was tied in the third, but it was again EDM that was able to score when everything was on the line.

Code:
13. Graphic, 3 TPE - The Procrastinator Special!
Congratulations, graphics-master procrastinator! Much like the written-word-loving procrastinator, you too have a special task! Create a post-series splash screen detailing the outcome of the series, or highlighting the player that you think should be playoff MVP. Include at least 3 stats!
[Image: axyVgcv.jpg]

[Image: sulov.gif]
(This post was last modified: 11-16-2023, 04:36 PM by Mayuu. Edited 1 time in total.)

Trivia Verification word: MayuuVerification

b. The Forge have won a cup with this core, while the Blizzard are sniffing this air for the first time in a while. Who would you rather be - the veteran team that's been here and won it before, or the hungry youngsters taking their first shot at glory?
I'd pick the latter, I was part of Buffalo when they hadn't won a cup, and were yet to reach finals I believe. Being part of something building up, seeing everyone band together and push everyone to the max, was something I can't describe properly. I want to do that again with Buffalo.

d. If it ain't broke don't fix it: Who you got? Who wins? Why?
I got my money on Blizzard. I haven't checked who won afterward. The reason is because I belive in the up-and-coming team. It drives the site to be more engaging when a group of newish players gets to win and the energy rubs off on the whole site. That is why Blizzard will win!

Unlike their rivals, who have literally never been bad, the Blizzard were deep in the doldrums not too many seasons ago. Now that they've reached the mountaintop, how did they pull off such a strong rebuild? What can other teams currently facing hard times learn from their success?
There's one thing I believe will make any team stronger and better, it doesn't really involve good scouting or picking certain personalities. It's a good locker room where people engage with each other genuinely. This site can become a bit of a slog when you look at it over a long period of time but when you have people you want to talk to and share not just SHL-related things with but your other passions and desires it changes from a fun little hockey game to an actual community.
If it weren't for people WannabeFinn, Tomen, Karey, Tig, Grok, ZombieWolf, Fantobens, Mcgridleluver, and many many more I would have dropped this site as soon as I got bored or things didn't go well. Instead, I found myself wanting to continue not only for myself but for the people on my team who dedicated hours a day so that we all had fun. That is what makes a good team.

RETIRED

(This post was last modified: 11-16-2023, 04:44 PM by Wheels. Edited 2 times in total.)

Code:

Bender
+3pts

Code:
2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. Two new finalists mark the end of a dynasty in the west and the return of an old heavyweight in the east. Pick either of our finalists, and tell me what about them impresses you the most!
b. The Forge have won a cup with this core, while the Blizzard are sniffing this air for the first time in a while. Who would you rather be - the veteran team that's been here and won it before, or the hungry youngsters taking their first shot at glory?
c. The Blizzard upended a long-time nemesis in the Aurora to get here, while the Forge avenged several previous losses to the Wolfpack as well. Who had the more impressive victory to punch their ticket to the cup final, and why?

a. The two teams are quite similar in their performance. Both the Edmonton and Philadelphia teams have come close to reaching the finals in recent seasons, consistently facing formidable opponents that prevented their advancement. in the Eastern Conference, various teams thwarted Philadelphia's progress. Nevertheless, what stands out is that Edmonton is the initial team, aside from Winnipeg, in the Western Conference to break this pattern in five seasons, making their achievement more noteworthy. (72 words)
b. I prefer joining a team composed of young players rather than one filled with veterans. In my opinion, the younger players are more eager to win.  I believe they deserve it more, as it's more challenging to perform well in a 66-game period with a youthful roster compared to an experienced one. (52 words)
+2 Points

Code:
The Forge and the Patriotes both won cups in recent memory, but while the Patriotes called it a window and tore everything down to the boards, their expansion brothers in Philadelphia have found a way to get back to the dance. How did they do it? Can they keep it up? What should teams like Winnipeg and New England learn from them?

3. Philadelphia's swift return to the finals was noteworthy. Despite maintaining a core similar to the one that led them to victory a few seasons ago, it appeared that their offensive firepower might not have reached the previous heights (though this perception could be inaccurate). Their relatively easy dispatch of a formidable New England team showcased Philadelphia's persistence and patience with their core group of contributors. While the strategy of dismantling and reconstructing a team can be effective at times, many teams hastily opt for a rebuild. Montreal, despite having promising elements, unfortunately found themselves in a rebuild sooner than expected. Ultimately, success in the SHL hinges on the users, and a roster filled with skilled contributors can work wonders. The key for teams like New England and Winnipeg is to stay the course and continually strive to assemble squads with proficient contributors. If the team culture is conducive, success on the scoreboard will inevitably follow.
(155 words)
+3 Points

8 Points Total

1. Trivia (+3 TPE): confirmation: Piastri

[Image: Piastri2.png?ex=65ba64d4&is=65a7efd4&hm=...462889f09&]
[Image: or8VMxO.gif]
(This post was last modified: 11-16-2023, 05:23 PM by natedoeshockey. Edited 1 time in total.)

Code:

patyatime

+3 TPE

Code:
Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.

a. Two new finalists mark the end of a dynasty in the west and the return of an old heavyweight in the east. Pick either of our finalists, and tell me what about them impresses you the most!
c. The Blizzard upended a long-time nemesis in the Aurora to get here, while the Forge avenged several previous losses to the Wolfpack as well. Who had the more impressive victory to punch their ticket to the cup final, and why?

a. Patya loving Philadelphia, but am going to go with Edmonton on this one. Patya am play against them and give them tough test, but not able for pulls it out. Patya never mind much losing to eventual champions, and Patya feeling like this team very much strong and on fire after playing against us. Patya just thinking this team have much resolve which is make them hard to beat!
b. Again, Patya would rather this be the Snowmans from Edmonton. Patya very impressed from play against them. Is a little disappointing because Patya am thinking if maybe just play a little betters, maybe this Ghostmans instead of Snowmans. But, because is not Ghostmans, Patya am pulling for Snowmans all the way! Sorry for Lavamans for not thinking is rather be them though.

+2 TPE

Code:

Patya am understanding why Patrioticmans am tear it all down. This am happens lot after championships. Patya remembering team called Tampa Bay Lightnings who am win some cup and then am have almost entirely different roster outside core. This not uncommon. Patya thinking Philadelphia Lavabowls am take different route because they figure out how to push much hard. Team coaches and trainers and leaderships am looking at players and saying to themselves that they am strong enough to forge a dynasty. Patya always been impressed with Philadelphia, even when playing in Carolina so long ago. Patya just think they really good at what they do and they very smart about how they handle team. Patya definitely think they can keep it up, because Patya have much respect for this team. Patya thinking maybe Winnipeg can learn more about loyalty from Philadelphia, but not sure what New England can be learning. New England am also pretty good team.

+3 TPE

TOTAL: 8/8 TPE

Lore: Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5
[Image: 65011_s.gif]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png]   [Image: HKi05IH.png]   [Image: gs89eGV.png]
(This post was last modified: 11-16-2023, 06:20 PM by Fitted2106. Edited 2 times in total.)

3. Philly def cheated to keep windows open like have u ever tried to open a window its impossible its not easy can you even have a friend come in it probably not kid. But like come on that expansion crap dont matter either theres 0 chance philly does anything next season that roster was not made to maintain long term success and they just cant sustain what they think there made of. So in retrospect phillys not even a place where a team plays they dont even have a chance at anything in this god forsaken town if you cajt beat the man then dont be the man without a championship contender youll never be one they remember so as my dad says someone get the door aunt lisa wants more beer. Never has there ever been a time where people could catch the hands like today. Find out and fuck around if you can catch your boy sideline pimping come get it

4. The blizzard can build uppn what they are as long as they keep it snowey up there for the little anartic oemguins and snow bunnys that allow ocarina of time to be such a good game. See edmonton just can keep it pushing by not letting egos become something that make all the players of the team become dumb headed people and allow them to remain great and good players together allowing the best of the best to arise in each of them. With this going on how else can we not love what we do without making sure the snow becomes the snowman and allows us all to just relish in the fact that edmonton is cold and other places are not because with it thered be global warming.  So in my mind this is what allows us to be great and with it i can be the best version of myself see how easy that is baby doll.

Cw trivia - fitted

[Image: Fitted_3.png]

2x 4Star Cup Champ s49 s50

1x commissioners excellence award s 50

Quote:1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

Verification Word: Falco

Quote:2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.

b. I personally would rather be The Forge, the veteran team with a proven track record. Experience in high-stakes moments and previous cup success gives them a psychological edge. The Blizzard may be hungry, but navigating the pressure of a championship for the first time in a while is a significant challenge. In this showdown, the seasoned confidence of The Forge could be the decisive factor in securing victory.  (68 words)

c. The Blizzard's triumph over a long-time nemesis, the Aurora, is more impressive, as it signifies overcoming a historical obstacle. While The Forge avenging losses to the Wolfpack is noteworthy, the Blizzard's victory holds greater narrative weight, demonstrating resilience and a breakthrough against a perennial rival, adding extra significance to their journey to the cup final. (55 words)

Quote:Code:
5. Written, 3 TPE, No Time for Caution (150 words min)
Pick the finalist you think is going to win, and describe what that team needs to do to overcome their opponent and take home the cup. The Forge had the stronger offense in the playoffs, while the Blizzard had the stronger defense. Will those trends hold? Will Justin Time carry Edmtonton to victory?

The Forge enters the finals with a formidable offense, a key asset that propelled them through the playoffs. To secure victory, they must maintain their aggressive playstyle, exploiting the slightest defensive lapses from the Blizzard. Key offensive players need to be in peak form, applying relentless pressure and converting opportunities into goals. However, the Blizzard's robust defense poses a significant challenge. To clinch the cup, The Forge must diversify their offensive strategies, utilizing set plays and quick transitions to catch the Blizzard off guard.

On the other hand, the Blizzard's success hinges on their defensive prowess. They must maintain their disciplined structure, nullifying The Forge's attacking threats. Goalkeeper Justin Time is pivotal; if he can consistently thwart The Forge's attempts, Edmonton stands a solid chance. However, the Blizzard shouldn't solely rely on defense; seizing counter-attacking opportunities and capitalizing on The Forge's potential defensive vulnerabilities can tip the scales in Edmonton's favor, securing them the championship.

(155 words)

[Image: BnanaNWaffles.gif]
Sig by @Ragnar / Avatar by @leviadan
[Image: lIYTYDN.png]  [Image: qtbn8zh.png]  [Image: wu5MVvy.png]

Code:

norway

Code:
2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.

Code:

Edmonton defense and goaltending has really impressed me this season. It’s impressive to come out of a season with allowing fewer than 200 goals in the SHL these days and they keep doing it during the playoffs where they were the team allowing the less goal per game. They say that defense wins championships and defense could be what gives Edmonton their championship.

63 words

Code:

For me, the more impressive win was the Forge beating the Wolfpack for the simple fact that I think the Wolfpack were a significantly better team than the Aurora this year. I think that after finally winning the Challenge Cup last year, the Aurora didn’t have the fight they used to have this season.

54 words

Code:

I think we will do worse this season than we did last season, but it is more telling of how good our performance was last season than anything else. Last season, we, Norway, reached the final but unfortunately lost this last game against Germany which means we ended our tournament by taking home a silver medal. From a simple probabilistic point of view, I think it will be really hard to replicate this kind of performance again, because of how many good teams are taking part in the IIHF tournament these days. However, I still think we have a decently good team that could do some damage during the upcoming tournament. We still have good players all around our squad that can carry this team far if they are able to play to their full potential. In terms of expectations for the upcoming season, I think we should be able to get out of the round robin and play at least one playoff games. Everything more would be a bonus and a great achievement for the country.

177 words

Nor Ge
Citadelles

Salzberger Lillehammersson
norway Inferno World Falcons

Anders Christiansen
[Image: inferno.png] [Image: dragons.png] [Image: wolfpack2.png] [Image: stars.png] [Image: Dxdffra.png] [Image: hGKuRrv.png] [Image: sAx3Llh.jpg] [Image: firebirds.png]

1. juiceisloose

[Image: murphy2.png]
[Image: NI78UUy.png?width=400&height=267]
[Image: Skree.gif]

Code:

Verification word: Snake

+3 TPE

Code:

This season, Omega will be playing for Norway, and it looks like there's a lot of to live up to. Having a look at their performance last season, they made it all the way to the gold medal game, but unfortunately lost to Germany, and by only one goal, too. I think the difference for this season is that they didn't have Omega back then, but they do now. He will be a great addition to what is already a pretty solid roster, which has a great mix of both veteran players and young players. The veteran players will look to provide guidance to the younger ones, as well as contribute with consistent performances that their high amount of TPE would hopefully assure. The younger players will be there to gain valuable experience and also hopefully put in good performances that will allow their nation to stay within one of the best in the tournament. Ultimately, though, I think with the addition of the great and young Kenny Omega, the Norway team will be set to win the gold medal this time around. There's already a core of great players here and Omega is the cherry on top of that, and the final block in securing that gold medal for Norway.

Code:
Word count: 211 words

+3 TPE

Code:

Congrats to the Edmonton Blizzard for winning S73 of the SHL! The series itself was nailbiting and exciting, with it going all the way to a game 7 to decide who would ultimately come out on top, which of course was eventually the Blizzard. What I think led to their eventual win was that the Blizzard, at least to the best of my limited knowledge of hockey, were able to better will themselves into getting back into a game when they were losing. Take Game 1, for instance. Going into the 3rd period, the Forge had a solid 5-3 lead, but they let the Blizzard score 4 unanswered goals to make the score 7-5. They did manage to score one more goal to make it 7-6, but once again, the Blizzard were clutch when it mattered and closed the game out with another goal, which led to the final result of 8-6. Game 5 is also a perfect example, with the Blizzard getting that crucial overtime goal to give them the win and the lead of the series. It was performances like these when it mattered that led to their victory.

Code:
Word count: 191 words

+2 TPE

3 + 3 + 2 = 8 TPE

[Image: RaidTheArcade.gif]

Code:

TASKCOMPLETE

Code:

a.I think Philadelphia impresses me the most. They don't have a solid offensive leader on the team which may be to their benefit. Edmonton is good. They proved that in the regular season. They have two top-five goal leaders on the team, and Justin has a .917 for the regular season. Philadelphia doesn't have that. Yet here they are standing in the finals like it's their birthright. I mean New England wasn't no slouch and they made it past them. Its impressive they made it is all im saying. Edmonton, it was expected after the season they had.

d. I think Blizzard will win because the Forge doesn't have what it takes to be a dynasty. Edmonton is knocking at their door and its over. That simple. They are getting old. They're good but they have lost a step. Probably too much time hitting the anvil. Need to work on some fundamentals. Also, Edmonton has a lights-out goalie.

Code:
6. Graphic, 3 TPE, The Climax
Draw the final battle! You can show me the players going head-to-head, you can draw the mascots duking it out, or you can make any kind of hype poster of your choosing. It's the Forge vs the Blizzard, I want to see Fire and Ice! Go!

[Image: Untitled_Artwork.png?ex=65690f95&is=6556...e8071ec39&]

this was too much

[Image: nokazoa.gif]

CURRENT PLAYER

[Image: sN8N4xa.png]         [Image: xd5tvj8.png]

FORMER PLAYER

[Image: ktJ2jTl.png]