Create Account

(GRADED)Deep Dive #1 - New Comers Perspective to the SHL
(This post was last modified: 07-06-2024, 09:20 AM by CptSquall. Edited 1 time in total.)

I have just finished the First Gen survey and it gave me a thought for this first deep dive.  Most of the SIMS seem to have these surveys, but they seem to give no information, so I will deep dive into a newcomers experience with how the experience of joining the SHL has gone thus far.

First, a little background on kdr and why he came to the SHL.  I am a big time sports fan and a big time lover of simulations.  For sports sim games I have been playing Soccer Manager off and on since it first cam out and OOTP Baseball for many years.  When I found out this year that there were sim versions where you can actually be a player with others around the world I was there for the PBE.  When I found out there were other versions, SHL was intriguing.  At one time Hockey was my #1 sport, but it has fallen off since then, but I was interested in picking it up again.

So, when I finally got some time I started reading and looking into the other sim leagues and then here was one thing that I saw in SHL, that I didn't see in the other leagues that made me want to create a character and play right away: https://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=99914  you have federations and a World Championship that runs along with the general team simulation. SIGN ME UP.  I like the short pitches a lot of the federations had and in honor of my grandma and their pitch I am from Bath, Great Britain.  Now having said that up to this point (only 4 days) I have heard nothing from or about how this works.  That is the first con I have experienced in my introduction to the league and it is a minor one that might be corrected soon or maybe I missed something.  But an aspect that really drew me might not be much.

Next, the player creation.  This is done well.  I like having both the written guide and then a video guide right in the portal when you go to create your player because truthfully the written one was TL;DR.  The comprehensive OOTP site giving definitions and uses was very handy, also.  So, I made a player and like everything says, I made it how I thought I wanted to play, but here is one of the big point in my whole Deep Dive and why I wanted to write this.  As a new player to this sim and the world of FHM, I have no idea what would really play well.  I know it says you have free redistribution after first year, but why make me make a whole player to begin with.  I would have like to say I want to be a LW with speed and then have the scouting process to see what is out there who needs what, maybe that would change my mind on how I would ever create in the first place.

The scouting process was ok.  I think another problem was I created so late in the season, there is no real draft I guess I was on waivers and I have no idea how that was working.  Again it is probably in the rules and everything, but TLDR.  But the scouting helped me out.  It helped me see where things are in the league, how the GM and scouts are thinking and how the game might play.  I had 5 scouting encounters.  Some by the GMs and some by a scout.  I do know a little about this as I did some scouting after my first season for my PBE team. There was one scouting encounter that I thought was the best and was hoping to make it to that team shoutout to @RAmenAmen  

The others were really good too, but this one made me want to get to QCC and play.  And that is what happened after a few days of not really knowing what was going on.  This would be another problem I encountered. I think being created so late in the season, I was almost in a limbo land and didn't really know what I could do and not.  As an example, the Survey; it said only those who had played in S77 and were S78 players can do it; is that me?  I don't think I have played in S77 not sure if I will.  

Hands down as I told all of the scouts, the thing I was most impressed with and thought I would love the best is the players portal.  OMG how easy can you make it for us players to build our players. 

I am actually so far over the 500 words I need I am going to rain this in now and just give some bullet points:

Strengths of the leagues creation process
1-Ease of making a player
2-The players portal removing the need for making update pages.
3-International tournament play (you get a whole different team and environment I am thinking, but TBD)
4- Like how the "Juniors" are treated and given their own set of PTs and such although this gave confusion at first which I didn't have time to touch on.

Some downsides
1- Confusion for late creates.  Where do I fall. 
2-The biggest I didn't touch on is I tried to watch 1 sim and on a mobile phone, had no idea what was happening. Will it take out the joy of watching my player develop if I can't actually watch him?  Don't know to be determined.

And that is my first deep dive, I hope it was deep enough for you

nice writeup! Thank you for liking the portal! Some follow up questoins if you dont mind

The Confusion issues

is it where do you fall like how do you get on a team? Or what the next step after creating?

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

Approved @kdr

[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]
[Image: CptSquall.gif]