Create Account

Sunday Funday: The Next GM
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2018, 09:03 AM by DeletedAtUserRequest.)

THIS PT IS FOR SHL PLAYERS AND SEND DOWNS. IT IS NOT FOR SMJHL ROOKIES.

Becoming an SHL GM is one of the most prestigious jobs on the site and one of the hardest jobs to land!

In at least 25 words, Talk about what qualities are needed to become an effective SHL GM and or what member would you endorse as someone who deserves consideration for the next available job opening. (Note: @Eggy216 and HO will be reading this first point task of mine, so here's your chance to let them know who to look out for!)

You will receive 1 capped TPE for this.

Deadline: for this task is (Monday, September 24, 12PM EDT)

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

I think some qualities needed to become an effective SHL GM are patience, kindness, and an understanding of how the dirty frenchman Simon T simulates his hockey. Anybody with those qualities deserves consideration for the next available job opening!

[Image: wMFFUe4.gif]

Barracuda S56 1st Overall Barracuda

Gary Grease Career Stats: Click Here
Graphics Shop: Click Here

[Image: CsnVET2.png]  Barracuda Russia Barracuda  [Image: c8B2LE3.png]

I think a good GM needs to have an in-depth understanding of league rules and processes so that they are able to effectively manage the administrative side of things. In addition, experience with setting rosters in STHS is valuable asset, and understanding how to construct and build rosters to achieve a long-term outcome is crucial. Finally, since the greatest goal any of us have with the SHL is enjoyment, so someone who carefully fosters a fun and engaging locker room that incorporates new players, vets, and alumni is going to be a successful leader.

For these reasons, I maintain that @JSS is the clear and objectively correct choice for the Detroit Falcons Head GM role, as he embodies all of these attributes.

[Image: crtigger.gif]
[Image: murphy.png]

I believe Rex Kirkby @Acsolap should be the next SMJHL GM (don't know nearly as many SHL people). A GM must mesh well with the majority of the league, and be able to mentor the young prospects coming into the SMJHL. Rex has shown great commitment to the league and to his team, and I'd love to see him in some kind of managerial role.

[Image: 400x200.jpg]

A good GM needs an almost unhuman level of dedication to the site. While a player can be pretty successful putting in 1-2 hours a week on the site, a GM that puts in 3-4 times that amount will still be a GM who doesn't get too far. You have to know the sim inside and out. You have to be likable and manage different personalities to build a great team.

As far as my suggestion... Honestly I have no idea. I'll just go with Nuck.

[Image: WuRZxKN.png]
Player Twitter
Kryyst: Player Page | Update Page
Stinson:Player Page

To me, a GM needs to be very persistent to want to make a team better. They also need to have a commitment to the team they are managing, and a willingness to win. It also helps to have experience wit the sim engine and having good people skills doesn't hurt.

For all of those reasons and more, I think that @39alaska39 would be an incredible gm, either SHL or SMJHL.

[Image: cooldudeam1234.gif]
(Sig Credit: toedragon84)

I think a GM needs goals. They first need to know if they are scheme or personnel. Do they need to hand-pick players for a scheme or do they craft a scheme from the players they have? The next part is figuring out how to achieve the setup they want. What do they sell when reaching out to draft prospects and free agents? Finally, they need to be adaptable and patient. SimonT makes sure no GM's plans go right the first time or all the time. Plus, they might have to adjust their lines when that one guy gets suspended or pull the trigger on a trade or rebuild. Reevaluate your goals every so often during the season and check if it's time to adjust.

Speedwagon Player Page | Speedwagon Updates Page 

[Image: speedwagongifsig.gif]

[Image: GoonerBear.gif]

I think that the differences between the SMJHL and SHL are pretty important and having an in-depth knowledge of the rules of each league is huge. Also you need a wide knowledge of the website and how everything works to ensure that younger players know how everything works, but also having the ability to be personable. Also some experience with STHS, but STHS is bullshit so who cares.

[Image: ml002.gif]
Credit to Copenhagen, Wasty, FlappyGiraffe, InciteHysteria, and caltroit_red_flames
 [Image: MM4nqx6.png] [Image: Niz2wua.png][Image: egAspOO.png] Knights
[Image: GZ9XvkA.png]

A good GM needs to make their team run like a well oiled machine. It takes many parts to work and they all need different things to prosper. Those that apply need to realize it takes an extreme amount of dedication and hardwork to make to run a successful team.

@JKortesi81 would be my choice to run an SHL team, he does an amazing job with the Scarecrows, and I know he would do amazing if he wanted it.

An important trait of any good gm is that first and foremost, he is not Geck.

For realsies though, the one most important trait any good gm would have is his maintenance of a healthy, active, LR. I find that the LR is the heart and soul of a team, and is the starting point for success.

[Image: sig-e-e-geck-atl.png]

e

In order to be a good SHL GM you need to have a deep love of Chicken Parm and be nice to everyone in the league. If you have good karma and a love of parm-laden foods, simon T will reward you every once in a while, or 5 times in 19 seasons. Either way, you need to work hard, pay attention to every minute detail, help your players dial in their builds for success personally and within the team concept, smartly regress your veterans among other things. Basically just make being an SHL GM your life, study the shit out of the sim and you'll be fine. Not too hard. Tongue

Ultimately your main job as GM though is to help create a fun positive environment for your players, one where they can enjoy the league while having individual and team success. You want them to feel like part of a real team or family and maybe win a championship or two along the way.

---> ParmBorg Highlights <---
[Image: cgv4vCv.png] Goal[Image: 95lCCDx.png]
[Image: parmborg.gif]

[Image: steelhead77.gif]

#1 All-Time SHL Goal & Point Scorer 
- First 2,000 TPE Player in SHL History - 
- First 400 Goal Scorer in SHL History -
- Only 500 Goal Scorer in SHL History -
- First GM to Win 5 & 6 Challenge Cups -
Esa Anrikkanen Award - SMJHL ROY - Est. S34
Vidrik Onoprienko Award Winner - S45

Dragonite[Image: 271.png][Image: 291.png][Image: 321.png][Image: 401.png][Image: 42banner2.png][Image: r-Wt4-AB350oooo.png] Dragonite
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2018, 12:45 AM by DeletedAtUserRequest.)

Watching @Steelhead77 for all these seasons ive come to understand the importance in creating an atmosphere which your comfortable with and you believe in. Theres a distinct vibe in Calgary and it comes straight from top. I know ive tried to set my tone and tempo in Austria.

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

I think a good SHL just need to communicate well and be accountable. Lots of testing helps, but usually talent wins the game. So being on top of trade, contracts, drafts is really the most important part of a GM's role. In this case, everyone knows ml002 is going to be a great GM. He's GMing a minors team now, but I expect him to make the jump soon.

A gm must have patience and a keen eye. Often we have seen GM's try to force their team to get better rather than waiting it out and riding the storm.
Currently we have a trend where the good teams stay good, while the bad teams stay bad. In the SHL, a rebuild can take up to 7 seasons, even more depending on the players on the other teams staying till they are 1000 years old, however, a team can't just force a rebuild.

Buffalo has been rebuilding forever, but the quality of their lineup is only now showing and it's been a long time. Both Tomen, and Wannabefinn have been patient with their team and haven't impulsively sold players for a cup run, unlike other rebuilding teams.

I think JSS would make an incredible GM of the Detroit Falcons. He has those qualities that the buffalo GM's share and will lead the team well.

SHL GM has to be very active on the site and team's locker room. Of course, he needs to be tacticaly smart and he needs to habe a good reputation on the site. I think that the most perfect candidate is @Good_Ole_Kimmy

[Image: 47052_s.gif]
[Image: 3NfeQdx.png]
[Image: rwzgzyB.png]
[Image: ju78wnC.png]

[Image: Yztckjo.png] [Image: PlcJv9V.png]