Create Account

1 vs. 92 - The Complete Story
(This post was last modified: 06-18-2019, 11:05 AM by Molholt.)

Editor's Note: This has been submitted as four separate pieces for grading. I am compiling it into one story for the history competition, please disregard this for grading, I didn't know where to put it.

Narrator: What happens to our heroes when they fade from the spotlight? Where do they go and perhaps more importantly, what do they do? How do they cope when the lights no longer shine as bright, when the roar of the crowd no longer fuels their momentum, when their locker hangs empty and the nameplate is thrown into the trash? Mike Molholt and SHL Films present:

1 vs. 92

[Image: 1-dramatic-ice-hockey-arena-dmytro-aksonov.jpg]

The lights upon an abandoned hockey rink fade to near total darkness. A figure steps forward into frame, silhouetted against the dimly lit arena. Donning full goalie attire, he begins to slowly skate toward the empty net at the other end of the ice as the lights fade to complete darkness, the last thing that is visible as the view disappears is his jersey number: 1.

Announcer: ...Panthers are looking for their 31st win of the season on our final day, it would be Weekes' 30th, but that's not all, he's hoping to make history... Edmonton looking to get the puck back for one more chance at it... Here they go, it's poked out by Kane! Edmonton on the break, up the ice to Rogers-Tanaka who swings it to Scherbluk and... he's clear! Just him and Weekes now, lines up, fires a rocket... It's in the glove! Weekes has it! Can you believe it?! The buzzer has sounded and this one is over. Los Angeles has their 31st win of the season and Jackson Weekes has just set an SHL record for save percentage, what a way to end the season!

The screen begins to fade back into view, no longer in an arena, but panning across a dusty trophy case. A puck sits within a stand, multiple trophies sit in a row, etched with their namesakes: McBride, Honcho, Khan, Mexico. Each gathering dust. A space remains reserved, empty, book-ended by a team photo of the Los Angeles Panthers, around the mid 20s.

[Image: liverpool-trophy-cabinet.jpg]

Mike Molholt: The empty space here, is something missing?

Jackson Weekes: That's the place I planned to put my helmet from our Challenge Cup, perhaps a Razov trophy. It never happened.

Weekes' voice trails off as we fade to footage from the Season 24 Challenge Cup finals, Game 7. Weekes collapses in net as the buzzer rings loud throughout the arena, the Hamilton Steelhawks swarm together as the new champions, the announcer struggles to be heard above the roar of excitement.

Announcer: They've done it! The Hamilton Steelhawks are your Season 24 Challenge Cup winners, it's the franchises second ever championship and first in thirteen seasons! What a moment for the Hamilton faithful! Let's not forget too the great season of the Los Angeles Panthers, finding their way back into the finals after their loss in Season 22 - they'll be back, you can count on that.

[Image: capitals-stanley-cup-champions-photo.jpg]

Mike Molholt: The Los Angeles Panthers would not return to the Challenge Cup finals again until Season 39, long after Jackson Weekes had announced his retirement. The Panthers have not won a championship since the league's 17th season, just before Weekes arrived on the team through the draft. Weekes made it to the finals twice, coming up short both times. To this day, it's the thing about his career that haunts him, but he's not the only one. A certain rival of Jackson's had a similar fate. I came to Canada to report on Weekes' life after playing and found myself interested in much more than that.

An unseen voice speaks with Molholt as the camera pans around a new room, this one in much better condition. Less dust, but similar contents - trophies, many with the same names etched on them as Weekes'. A jersey hangs in a shadow box on the wall, the name and number clearly illuminated within this office. Schmidt. #92.

Colin Schmidt: ...I'd say surprised would be an understatement. I had no idea what would become of it all, I just wanted to see where it would go. I assumed that the best case scenario was it would work once and we'd go our separate ways, so yeah, surprised is appropriate.

Mike Molholt: So who made that first call, and what was said?

Colin Schmidt: I did. I don't think it's any secret that he likely never would have, he had no reason to. I think he'd tell you that. I got his number from his old agent and asked if it would be alright if I tried to talk to him. I got the green light and went for it. To my surprise, he answered - and he talked. That first call we probably spoke for an hour or more, he was more receptive to it than I imagined. As I said though, I figured that was it. So I was taken aback when he suggested coffee later in the week, to talk more he said. I of course accepted, it seemed fun and I had enjoyed our talk - so why the heck not?

The camera zooms in to a window of a coffee shop, slowly framing two seated inhabitants enjoying a cup and having a discussion. One of them laughs. As the focus dials in, we see that it is in fact Jackson Weekes and Colin Schmidt.[/b]

[Image: how-to-open-a-coffee-shop-business-1024x682.jpg]

Mike Molholt: When I first met with Jackson, he had to cut our interview off before it went long to have coffee with Colin. I jokingly suggested he meant his old rival Colin Schmidt, to which he simply replied 'yes,' and went on his way. To my surprise, this wasn't a joke. The two of them meet up for coffee almost once a week now, to talk about their time in the SHL, their lives after - just like old friends might do. Two people who found themselves at odds so often in their career have found the similarities between them after their playing days have ended, and have developed a friendship that resonates with each.

Jackson Weekes: I don't know why I took that first call, but I'm glad I did. I think I had grown so accustomed to holding in things about my playing career. It's tough because no one really gets it, not unless you've been there Not even other players get it - myself and Colin, we've both been at the top of our peaks and yet not been able to accomplish the one goal we each had. We each had individual accolades and no team success to show for it. His trophy case is missing the same thing mine is - a championship. I struggled with that, and still do, but it's grown easier as we've been talking. Having someone who understands that and feels the same way, it helps, it really does.

Mike Molholt: We'll now take a deeper look into how we got to where we are, starting by heading all the way back to the beginning, when two young goalies declared for the SMJHL draft.

Narrator: In the SHL, it's impossible to tell when the next superstar might make their way into the league. Especially when it comes to goalies, a position with not a lot of seats to fill and a lot of elite talent at the professional level. So it's no surprise that when Jackson Weekes and Colin Schmidt declared for the SMJHL that pundits were quick to tell them they were wasting their time. It's no surprise that they were instructed to find another league or perhaps learn to play out of net if they wanted to make it at the next level. The thing is, when a superstar is born, sometimes the only one who can recognize it is the player themselves. Weekes and Schmidt both recognized it, and nothing was going to turn them away.

[Image: 2016-OHL-Draft.jpg]

We pan around an empty draft room, a large board on the wall is covered with teams, picks and names. Whalers - Tsizling. Scarecrows - Sullivan. More names begin to fill in, the board filling up. Round 1. Round 2. Round 3. A voice echos in the empty room...

Announcer: ...With the third pick of the fourth round, the Detroit Falcons select Colin Schmidt, goalie.

Announcer: ...With the fifth pick of the fourth round, the St. Louis Scarecrows select Jackson Weekes, goalie.

The lights behind the board flicker, fading to darkness, leaving only the title of the board visible. S18 SMJHL Entry Draft. We zoom in on these letters and suddenly pan back out. The board has changed. It features only three selections now. Round 1, Pick 5: Mārtiņš Pētersons, Detroit Falcons. Round 4, Pick 19: Dymo Ranjan, Montreal Impact. Round 4, Pick 21: Colin Schmidt, Detroit Falcons. Slowly the camera zooms out, revealing a figure facing the wall, we rotate around and he faces the camera and speaks.

[Image: ?url=http%3A%2F%2Fcirca.brightspotcdn.co...known.jpeg]

Jackson Weekes: I shouldn't let it bother me, but it did. These were the three taken before me. It was supposed to be my moment and they took it. Those three players. Those three teams. Everyone who passed over me, even the Scarecrows, who eventually selected me - they had passed on me as well. I immediately had a chip on my shoulder and it fueled me, I used it. Those three didn't do anything to me, but I still took it out on them - I focused on them and their every fault and I enjoyed all of them.

Mike Molholt: What about Colin, why was it so heavy towards him?

Jackson Weekes: It was strange. Despite Detroit taking two goalies, including one in the first round, Schmidt was "the guy" in my rookie season. Everyone loved him. Everyone talked about him. I felt slighted by him. Why did they love him and not me, ya know? It was infuriating. I was working harder. I was playing better. I couldn't do enough to win them over, so it built a rage within me and I wanted to destroy him. He had done nothing to me, everyone else had -but he was their idol and I wanted it destroyed.

We fade away from Weekes and to the office of Colin Schmidt, as seen in the first episode. He's speaking with Molholt once more.

Mike Molholt: Tell me about things from your side, how was the heat from Weekes?

Colin Schmidt: I didn't understand it. I didn't see it like he did, how could I? I felt like I was doing what I could to win people over and be friendly to those around the league, so I was confused. It never felt warranted in the SMJHL. I thought we got along before the draft. Obviously we've spoken since then and now I understand his side, but I don't know what I could've done differently at the time. Probably nothing, to be honest.

[Image: Jake-Allen-1.jpg]

Mike Molholt: At the end of their first SMJHL season, Jackson Weekes and Colin Schmidt would meet up in the playoffs. The conference finals, to be exact. It is there that Jackson Weekes would prevail, eliminating Schmidt and the Detroit Falcons and ending their much hyped season. It was there that Weekes would get some retribution.

We see the St. Louis Scarecrows swarm the ice, Weekes in the middle of them all. The team is elated, they're going to compete for a championship. At the other end, Colin Schmidt hangs his head, the Falcons are going home. Detroit's spirits crushed, they all slowly make their way off the ice.[/b]

Mike Molholt: The St. Louis Scarecrows would lose in the championship round, perhaps they just weren't the better team, or perhaps Weekes wasn't as committed having vanquished his perceived foe. Either way, it was time for both to find out if their careers would be extending at the professional level or not - it was time for the SHL Entry Draft.

[Image: 2017-nhl-entry-draft_1m2cu6m17qd8z1rtif6ioyg4lm.jpg]

We see a room full of SHL hopefuls, last season's standouts and top prospects. Ryan Sullivan adjusts his tie at a table with fellow Scarecrow hopefuls, Zallerras Szlerchek and Jonathan Kane. Martins Daugavins and Colin Schmidt smile for a photo with some Falcon fans. Jackson Weekes sits alone, no teammates or coaches. He looks nervous, anxious. The picks start coming in...[/b]

Announcert: ...the first pick of the SHL Entry Draft, the Minnesota Chiefs select... Ryan Sullivan! Defenseman, St. Louis Scarecrows.

The table of Scarecrow players erupts with Sullivan's selection, high-fives and hugs all around as Sullivan goes up to shake hands with the commissioner and pose for a photo as the top selection. Daugavins is selected next by the New England Wolfpack and then West Kendall takes Zalleras Szlerchek, another Scarecrow teammate of Weekes. Weeks hasn't reacted much at all, waiting for his name to be called.[/b]

Announcert: ...have a trade to announce! The Los Angeles Panthers have traded up for the fourth pick and will be making their selection now. They have selected, from the St. Louis Scarecrows, goalie, Jackson Weekes!

We see the Scarecrow table cheer and turn back to Weekes as he stands from his table. He's smiling, big. His focus is intense, though it is not on the commissioner or his teammates. He's looking at Colin Schmidt, and the smile is more of a smirk. Weekes knows he bested Schmidt again, first in the playoffs and now at the draft. He goes up for his handshake and photo as we fade back into Schmidt's office, present day.[/b]

[Image: flames-feat-generic.png]

Colin Schmidt: It was surprising that such a big deal was made of it. He was selected before me, and yes, he clearly enjoyed that, but I was selected next. The fifth pick in the draft was still more than anyone ever thought I'd accomplish, heading to the West Kendall Platoon - I was excited. I didn't think it was a big deal at all, but the media was all over our selections.

Mike Molholt: I have to ask, now that the draft is complete... what happened with Team Canada?

Colin Schmidt: Yes, Team Canada...

Schmidt sighs, clearly troubled by the next bit of information. He leans back into his chair as the camera fades to black and then on to a lighted stage where producer Mike Molholt stands.[/b]

Mike Molholt: A rivalry that is largely on the ice spills over into the country level. Massive international ramifications follow and a true hatred develops. Let's take a closer look!

1 vs. 92, Episode 1: Where Are We?
1 vs. 92, Episode 2: Where Were We?

Narrator: Jackson Weeks and Colin Schmidt started off as friendly rivals, but it quickly escalated when they got on the ice for their first season, culminating in Weekes' Scarecrows eliminating Schmidt's Falcons from the SMJHL playoffs. Following the S19 SHL Entry Draft, where Weekes was selected on pick before Schmidt, the two would take their rivalry to an entirely different level.

[Image: USATSI_3556176.jpg]

A TV sits on in an empty room, playing the national sports news. A sportscaster recaps the latest scores in the NBA when a breaking news flash hits, he listens to his producer in his ear and changes pace, giving us an update.

Announcer: ...we have breaking news to report in the hockey world. Jackson Weekes, the fourth overall selection int e recent SHL Entry Draft, has been removed from the junior Canada team for the IIHF season. This news comes via Colin Schmidt, one of the team's goalies and the current general manager of the team. Schmidt announced that despite Weekes having declared for his country's team, that they would instead take Joe Miller, a hopeful prospect who has just declared for the SMJHL. More to come as we learn more, stay tuned...

[Image: cut.jpg]

We see multiple stations, as the channels begin to cycle through. There are video packages of Weekes, playing for the Scarecrows in the previous season, Schmidt at the press conference making the announcement and grainy college footage of Joe Miller, a relative unknown. We cut to an interview from Jackson Weekes, taken from the time the announcement was made.

Jackson Weekes: ...I have not heard from Colin or from the team. This was not discussed beforehand and is a shock to me. Let this be known, I will never play for my country, for Canada, again. Not at the junior or professional level.

We see a new news flash across the screen, Jackson Weekes will be suiting up for team World now after his dismissal from team Canada. We see Jackson following that news.

Jackson Weekes: I'm disappointed that there wasn't an opportunity for discussion before this happened. Mostly though, I am disappointed that I won't be a part of my country's team. This tournament means so many things to so many different people, but to me it is about pride for your home and giving back to the people there. Unfortunately, I was stripped of that opportunity. I've been blessed with the chance to show my talents for the World team, and I intend to reward that with the same loyalty I've shown to the Scarecrows and Panthers. I will be a member of Team World every tournament if they will have me. I won't ever suit up for the Canadian team again, and that is disappointing, but they rejected me. That is just how it is. I hope to do my best for the World team, and hopefully we can be competitive!

[Image: dec20_cancze_exh.jpg]

Fading to Colin Schmidt, sitting in his office with producer Mike Molholt, we see Colin hanging his head, looking distraught.

Mike Molholt: Tell me what happened at that time, why was the move made?

Colin Schmidt: That was such an unfortunate thing, and I hate that I relayed it. I was serving as the general manager, yes, but that decision came from above me. It was passed down that Weekes had made some comments toward the league office that were inappropriate and that a punishment needed to be handed out, I didn't want that, but that's what I was to relay. I hated that it came from me, I knew he would think it was all my idea.

Mike Molholt: Weekes would say at the time that it wasn't a surprise that you'd do this. That coming off of him eliminating you from the playoffs and then being drafted before you, that you were upset about those things and took this opportunity to get even. He'd also say that you knew you had a career of being on the bench, with him in net for your country, and so you replaced him with someone you knew had no chance to unseat you. What did you think then and how do you feel about that now?

Colin Schmidt: I can certainly see how it would look that way. That wasn't the case, but it made me no less upset at the time. Nowadays, that's all behind me and me and Weekes have repaired our relationship, but back then it was devastating. He hated me. He thought he had the right to, as well. I couldn't convince him otherwise. It was disappointing because so many people were excited about the future of our team too, the two of us in net for the country moving forward was such a strength, and Canada had struggled in that area at that time. So there was a lot of excitement around that, but this brought a ton of negative attention. I hated it.

We fade back into an interview with Jackson Weekes, back in present day. Molholt is asking him about the events that transpired around team Canada.

Jackson Weekes: I was furious. If I'm not careful, I'll still become enraged even today. They stripped my ability to play for my home country on the grandest stage. That was something I had dreamed about. I don't know the real reasons, not even today. It's tough because I'm not sure I buy that it was all about some comments I made. Maybe it was, but that's petty. I know now that Schmidt tried to defend me, and I didn't believe him. I hated him. I blamed him for all of it and it probably wasn't even his fault. He was the avatar of my suffering and I wanted to destroy him once more. What was at times friendly was no more, I wanted to make his entire life miserable. I tried to move on from team Canada, but it's tough. It's tough to think about even now. I missed out on helping my country. I hate that.

We pan over and the television is on again. It's the Los Angeles Panthers and Weekes is in net. The channel changes and we see the West Kendall Platoon, anchored by Colin Schmidt.

Mike Molholt: The careers of Schmidt and Weekes. Different and yet, very similar. Let's dive in!

Narrator: A somewhat friendly rivalry turned scorching hot when Jackson Weekes was removed from the team Canada IIHJ team, causing a rift between Weekes and his country and putting up a sizable wall between him and rival Colin Schmidt. They both turned their focus toward their play on the ice, their SHL careers starting to take off. Would they be able to make their mark at the professional level?

We fade back and forth between Jackson Weekes and Colin Schmidt. Each have a large television playing in front of them, featuring highlights and clips from their own careers. Jackson Weekes playing for the Los Angeles Panthers. Colin Schmidt playing for the West Kendall Platoon. Both men raising the Khan trophy, the McBride trophy, the Honcho and the Mexico. There are clips of Weekes with Texas. There are clips of each of them being inducted to the Hall of Fame. There are no clips of either celebrating a championship. The transitions slow and we head back to the beginning, the rookie seasons, Season 20.

Announcer: ...the young rookie Jackson Weekes checks in, C.J. James headed to the bench now.

[Image: 56732955.0.jpg]

Season 20: Season 20 was the first season in the professional league for both Weekes and Schmidt. For Schmidt, he was thrust right in to the starting job for the West Kendal Platoon, starting 42 games for them that year. Among the starters, he was the third lowest in wins with 18, but he posted a winning record of 18-17-7. He finished with a 2.52 GAA and a save percentage of 0.907%, certainly respectable marks for a rookie in net. For Weekes, he was backing up C.J. James, only playing in 10 games over the course of the season, in which he went 4-4-2. In those ten games he gave up 2.4 goals against on average and had a save percentage of 0.898%. Both goalies' teams would make the playoffs, but they would both lose in the first round. Los Angeles would take one game from Texas, while the Platoon were swept by the Hamilton Steelhawks.

Season 21: In their second season, both Weekes and Schmidt got starting nods. Weekes notched 22 wins in 46 games and Schmidt picked up 21. They gave up 119 and 122 goals respectively, for averages of 2.59 and 2.65. Weekes finished with a 0.904% save percentage and Schmidt managed a 0.912%. The two were already looking neck and neck for the next top goalie in the league, but struggle once more in the playoffs. Both Weekes and Schmidt are sent packing in the first round, winning only one game each. For Weekes, its the Texas Renegades that eliminate the Panthers, for Schmidt, it's the New England Wolfpack.

Season 22: In their third season, Weekes' second full season, a gap begins to form somewhat between the two. Colin Schmidt has another respectable year, going 23-20-3, with a GAA of 2.72 and a save percentage of 0.898%. Weekes posts a 0.905% save percentage and a GAA of 2.76, but with the help of a stronger team, finds himself with a 30-12-4 record, with the second most wins in the league, trailing only Lauris Prikulis. Things actually go better for both players in the playoffs this time around, West Kendall gets all the way to the east finals and takes Manhattan to 6 games, but the Rage overcome. Weekes and the Panthers, on the other hand, advance all the way to the Challenge Cup finals - and then ALSO lose to the Manhattan Rage, in 7 games. Weekes gets his first taste of the finals. Weekes played well too, actually a little better than he did in the regular season, but it was his old teammate C.J. James that took him down in net for the Rage.

Season 23: The next season was essentially more of the same, Schmidt had a mediocre year from a record standpoint, going 20-22-4, but improved his GAA to 2.39 and kept his save percentage similar, at 0.907%. Weekes had another strong year, finishing second in wins once more, going 27-15-4, with a GAA of 2.5 and a save percentage of 0.913%, the best mark of his career to that point. With Weekes trailing only Jordin FourFour in wins, the Panthers looked poised to have a deep playoff run. Instead, they found themselves leaving in the first round, losing in 6 games to the Seattle Riot. Colin Schmidt's Platoon failed to qualify at all.

[Image: dm_150624_NHL_Awards_Show.jpg]

Season 24: Though Weekes had already made himself a household name, this was truly his coming out party. For Schmidt, it looked like this fight was now over. Sure, the last season had been one-sided, but with a followup performance like this, there was nothing left. Schmidt finished the season 18-24-4 with a 2.83 GAA and a 0.896% save percentage, bad marks for him. Weekes on the other hand led the league in wins, going 30-9-7 (leading Dymo Ranjan, who suddenly looked like he might be the second best goalie from that S19 class). Weekes also had a GAA of 1.98, the lowest mark of his career and set a record for save percentage with a 0.926% that, due to changing of eras in the SHL, will remain a mark in the SHL history book for eternity. It was this season that Weekes would claim the Khan, Mexico, Honcho and McBride trophies as the league's MVP and top goalie. Schmidt's West Kendall team failed to make the playoffs once again, and for Weekes, it was another shot at the Challenge Cup, this time against the Hamilton Steelhawks. Once more, Weekes would help Los Angeles push it to seven games - and once more, they'd come up short. Two changes, two game sevens, and no Challenge Cups for Jackson Weekes and the Los Angeles Panthers.

Season 25: Perhaps it was the crushing finals loss, the second in 3 seasons, or perhaps it was just a changing of the guard in Los Angeles, but the team fell off the following season, failing to make the playoffs for the first time since Jackson Weekes had been in net for the team, even as a backup. This fight, that looked over between Weekes and Schmidt, suddenly flipped the other way. While Weekes went 22-16-5 for the Panthers, Schmidt notched a 27-15-2, tied for the most wins in the league. He had a 2.43 GAA and a 0.907% save percentage, nice marks again. Weekes actually had a 2.30 GAA and a save percentage of 0.917%, but with Los Angeles missing the playoffs, hardly anyone noticed that he had the second fewest goals against in the league, only one behind Lauris Prikulis, who went 27-12-5 for the Jets. To make matters worse for Jackson, he watched at home as Colin Schmidt and the West Kendall Platoon battled the Winnipeg Jets for the Challenge Cup. It would take seven games, but the Jets and Prikulis would come through, sending Schmidt home without a ring in his first chance at one. Perhaps this battle still had some legs.

[Image: d85433bb7c0a45a8b6909c739582db89.jpg]

Season 26: Now that Schmidt was fighting back, it seemed that Weekes had phoned it in. He had put up another stellar individual season in Los Angeles, but the team had crumbled. They entered a rebuild and they traded him to the Manhattan Rage. The Rage failed to make the playoffs and had a losing record, as did Weekes, who went 16-22-5 and you could tell he just wasn't into it. He was vocal in the media about not liking the trade, feeling betrayed by Los Angeles, and his play suffered. He took 19 penalty minutes, almost double the amount of any other goalie that season. He had a GAA of 2.82 and a 0.898% save percentage, low marks for him. Schmidt, however, went 30-10-4 with a 1.89 GAA and 0.923% save percentage and led the league with those marks. He was awarded the Mexico and Khan trophy as MVP and the McBride and Honcho trophies as top goalie. It was easily Colin's best season to that point, but it fell short, as the individual success did not translate to the playoffs and the Platoon lost in the first round to the Toronto North Stars, only managing one win. Both goalies were disappointed, but Schmidt seemed to be the top dog now.

Season 27: Jackson Weekes was on the move again, heading to the Texas Renegades for season 27. He helped them with a 25-13-4 record, a 2.45 GAA and a 0.904% save percentage. An improvement on the previous season for sure, it looked like the change of scenery was helping him. Schmidt found himself struggling again with West Kendall, going 20-19-5 with a GAA of 2.98, a super high mark for him and his 0.894% save percentage wasn't a bright spot either. West Kendall made the playoffs, but lost in the first round to the Hamilton Steelhawks. For the Renegades it was defeat at the hands of the Calgary Dragons and both goalies were once again on the outside looking in.

Season 28: Then we had Season 28, what would end up being Jackson Weekes' last in the league. He suited up for the Texas Renegades and helped them run off with a 30-10-3 record, leading the league in wins in net. He had a 2.63 GAA and a 0.914% save percentage. Despite those numbers, he didn't bring home any hardware. Instead, Colin Schmidt did, winning the McBride and the Honcho with a 26-13-5 record, a 2.25 GAA and a 0.921% save percentage. The voters liked the GAA quite a bit. For the Renegades, they lost in the first round, perhaps it was a frustrated Weekes who felt slighted by the award committee. The Platoon would find themselves in the Challenge Cup once more, and this time against the Edmonton Blizzard. The Platoon would fall in 6 games, once again failing to capture the cup.

Mike Molholt: Jackson Weekes retired after the season, frustrated that he felt like he couldn't get any better at his age and ready to fade away from the spotlight, to be a recluse. Maybe it was due to Weekes' retirement, but Colin never made it back to the finals either. He also never won anymore hardware. In fact, Schmidt played for a long time after Weekes retired, though only one more season as a full-time starter. After that he served as West Kendall's backup for the next seven seasons, all the way to Season 36. In that time he went 25-20-5 with a 2.16 GAA and a 0.895%. He was still a good goalie, but nowhere near his peak. I think in the end, Jackson Weekes and Colin Schmidt needed each other on the ice as well, to push each other to be better, to force the competition. Without that, they both fell away.

The camera fades back to the coffee shop, where Weekes and Schmidt are laughing, sharing a cup of coffee.

Mike Molholt: Ask them now, and they don't care to talk much about the playing days. They have a mutual understanding of each other now, a bond that few have. They've been to the highest peaks of individual success. They've both been to the precipice of winning a Challenge cup, twice, and both failed each time. They know what its like to have everything and yet still feel like you have nothing. But they are both excited for the future. Jackson has a son, Malcolm, and he's declared for the SMJHL. I hear he has the best two coaches a young goalie could hope for. With SHL Films, this is MIke Molholt - thank you and goodbye!

Wow.. what an article!

Those S22 and S24 cup losses still sting so much man. Ugh. Jackson might be the best Panthers goalie ever.

[Image: NiclasWastlund26.gif]
#40 Niclas Wastlund - W - VANCOUVER WHALERS Whalers / MINNESOTA MONARCHS Monarchs
[Image: vlPUU9v.png][Image: ammBPLt.png][Image: rnZeas5.png][Image: V9MXpXR.png]

06-18-2019, 11:23 AMWasty Wrote: Wow.. what an article!

Those S22 and S24 cup losses still sting so much man. Ugh. Jackson might be the best Panthers goalie ever.

I didn't realize until writing this how disappointing my career was in the playoffs. Two game 7 losses in the finals, rip.

06-18-2019, 11:45 AMMolholt Wrote:
06-18-2019, 11:23 AMWasty Wrote: Wow.. what an article!

I didn't realize until writing this how disappointing my career was in the playoffs. Two game 7 losses in the finals, rip.
Both weren’t Jackson’s fault though, never could blame you for the losses. S22 we wouldn’t of been in the Game 7 if it wasn’t for Weekes. S24 was a STHS Brain fuck from which I haven’t recovered fully.

[Image: NiclasWastlund26.gif]
#40 Niclas Wastlund - W - VANCOUVER WHALERS Whalers / MINNESOTA MONARCHS Monarchs
[Image: vlPUU9v.png][Image: ammBPLt.png][Image: rnZeas5.png][Image: V9MXpXR.png]

06-18-2019, 11:48 AMWasty Wrote:
06-18-2019, 11:45 AMMolholt Wrote: I didn't realize until writing this how disappointing my career was in the playoffs. Two game 7 losses in the finals, rip.
Both weren’t Jackson’s fault though, never could blame you for the losses. S22 we wouldn’t of been in the Game 7 if it wasn’t for Weekes. S24 was a STHS Brain fuck from which I haven’t recovered fully.

Don't worry, I was looking into this the other day, we only need to win by S52 to avoid the longest cup drought in SHL history...

[Image: 58170_v.gif]
[Image: 58170_s.gif]
Thanks to @Carpy48 , @sköldpaddor, @Weretarantula, @Bruins10  and @Wasty  for sigs
Extra special thanks to @Julio Tokolosh for the sick gif one