Create Account

S68 PT #4: Historian Due: December 18th @ 11:59 PM (PST)

In light of Jeremy Swayman's near goal, and then today's goalie goal in the ECHL, I figured I'd talk about the history of goalie goals in the NHL! Only 15 goals have been scored by 12 different goalies in the long history of the NHL. Back in the early days and even before the NHL existed, goalies were more akin to soccer netminders, occasionally coming up ice to help the offense. But as the game grew and players became more skilled, goalies elected to stay back. It wasn't until the 1979-80 season that a goalie finally received credit for a goal, when Isles goalie Billy Smith received credit after an own goal from the Colorado Rockies, as Smith was the last opposing player to have touched the puck, therefore, by rule, was awarded the goal. These "own goal" goalie goals make up 7 of the 15 total goals. It wasn't until Ron Hextall fired a puck down the ice into an empty net in 1987 that a goalie scored a goal on an intentional shot. Interestingly, one of the 8 goals scored via shooting was on the goalie's backhand, a feat accomplished by Jose Theodore. The most recent goalie to score a goal was Pekke Rinne, in 2020. Hopefully Swayman will have better luck on his next attempt.

[Image: 65151_s.gif]

[Image: Tqabyfh.png] [Image: YZjkK9Q.png]

I think one of the most amazing things to me is that fact that Gordie Howe was able to play in five different decades, that is just completely crazy to me.  He started his career in 1946 and played his last official NHL game in 1980, and if you extend it even further, he played a shift in 1997 for the Detroit Vipers at the Palace to play professional hockey six different decades!  With all of that time it isn't a surprise that he retired with the most goals at the time in 801, which now has only been bested to this day by Wayne Gretzky and now Alexander Ovechkin.  Mr. Hockey was just amazing for that longevity and production that he was able to complete.  801 Goals, 1049 Assists and 1850 points stood until the Gretzky moment.  And then the fact that in all of that time he also played 25 seasons with the Detroit Red Wings, it makes for something that any kid growing up in Michigan knows about.

Code:
171 words

Prompt 2

No Patya this time, so sorry for that. I still think it is insane that Wayne Gretzky has more assists than any player in the NHL has ever had points. I know that this is the go-to stat when anyone tries to show how he was so much more dominant than any other single-sport athlete, but it is still fucking crazy to me. That said, I really think Lemieux would have gone down as the best and most dominant player in history, as opposed to what I am pretty sure is just behind Gretzky, if not for having cancer derail a large portion of his career. As far as players currently that are going for records, I would like to see Ovi get the goals record, as I am sure many other people here would like to see. That said, I am somewhat conflicted about it given his ties to Russian oligarchy and being such a big supporter of Putin. I know he does not have much of a choice, given who his wife is, but that does not make it any less disgusting to me. Failure to condemn all of the terrible things Putin has done, and is still doing, leaves a really bad taste in my mouth. Moving on to the finale, I will be very interested to see how many goals Auston Matthews scores in his career when it is all said and done, and also how many Selkes he is going to win. In my opinion, he has become the best defensive center we have seen since Bergeron. I also am really excited to see how Connor McDavid's career shakes out, and also interested in seeing Connor Bedard compete in the NHL.

Lore: Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5
[Image: 65011_s.gif]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png]   [Image: HKi05IH.png]   [Image: gs89eGV.png]

Written Task: Write about any team, player, or record that is important to SHL history, and why. It could be something your player did, or maybe not! What parts of SHL history do you think are most interesting and exciting? Is there an old part of the site's history that you feel is important but often forgotten? Why should more people know about it? Take this chance to brag about how historically important your player is, or to get on your soapbox about how cool someone else is! (150+ words

I think a lot of people skipped over Aaron Wilson, one of the best hockey player who played for the hamilton steelhawks and still is playing for them, getting records, like multiple of them. A lot of people like to gloss over them like it is nothing because of multiple scandal with the hamilton steel hawks which left a lot of people, actually most people, disliking the team and not considering them for anything at all ever because they do not like them. Anyways I am getting sidetracked, back to the real subject. Aaron has the most assists in a season in fhm 6 era with 70 assists, he is second in fhm 6 era of most points with 104, he has multiple cups (like 3) , multiple awards, he has the second most playoffs points with 220. For me, he might be the best player ever to have played simulated hockey and should be remembered like wayne gretzky, so i hope people can see this and also believe he is the goat

172 words

[Image: BriePK.gif]
|Canada |Steelhawks| Armada|

|Canada| Inferno| Knights|

[Image: unknown.png]

One of the most interesting things about real world hockey history is just how good Wayne Gretzky was. His name has popped up a lot recently with Alex Ovechkin trying to chase down his career goal records and so I thought it would be a great time to just sit and talk about one of the most interesting GOATs to ever play the game. Many sports have a handful of people that are always in the conversation when it comes to who was the Greatest of All Time. Basketball has Michael Jordan, Lebron James, and some even throw in Kobe Bryant. In soccer you have Messi, Ronaldo, Pele, and Maradona. It is very rare in a sport that you have a player that is looked at as the unanimous GOAT and that is what Gretzky is. Gretzky amassed 894 goals, 1963 assists, he won 4 Stanley Cups and 9 Hart trophies. When you look at that compared to everyone else it just does not come close. He is and will forever be the greatest of all time.

Code:
177 words

[Image: SouthPaw.gif]

Honestly the most interesting part of real world hockey history to me is that its almost impossible to compare players from different eras. A player that dominated in the 20s would be outclassed by players from the 70’s and 80’s let alone current hockey. Meanwhile some of the worst NHL players now (credit where credit is due, the worst NHL player is still better at hockey and more in shape than any nonhockey player out there) would light up the league if he was dropped into the 50’s. Could you imagine throwing Andrei Vaselevsky (i honestly cant spell his name without looking it up im so sorry) onto any team in the 60’s? The moment the team travels to boston with him for the first time we would have the salem witch trials 2 electric boogaloo because they would accuse him of witchcraft… among other things. The cold war was a bad time everyone. Look at the current race for most goals. Its amazing to watch, we are witnessing history. But if you made Ovi play against the majority of goalies that Gretzky had to play against, he would be near 1000 let alone 810. Hockey history is crazy, and sports history in general when it comes to player comparison and records.

[Image: xVW1vec.png]

[Image: OgNASDg.png] |  | [Image: JvdaXOj.png]
[Image: lUeg4KM.png]

The most interesting thing about hockey is its origin and early history to me is how it has evolved over the years. It has changed from a game that was only played in Canada and the United States to one that is played all over the world. Hockey has also evolved from being a game that was only played with sticks and a rubber ball or a flat piece of wood. Obviously, it has changed so much over time.  The very first ice hockey game was played at McGill University in 1875. At the time, McGill University's Rowing Club was challenging the Boat Club for the intercollegiate championship of Montreal. The McGill team won the game with a score of one goal to zero. Soon after ice hockey began to resemble more and more what we recognize today as clubs were established and eventually professional hockey became more and more prevalent in the early 1900s.

I think the coolest thing about hockey is that there is two different mindsets currently dominating the game. One mindset is to get the most unbelievably skilled players on offense and showcase their talent to win games. Let them play the puck around and skate or deke their way through teams to produce more goals. The other mindset is to get a base level type of player who will never make a mistake but has no really flashy skill. Teams I feel are built on one or the other these days, not a mix of both. my hope is that the uber skilled flashy players become more and more common, and the old school hockey mindset goes away to give way to the best players who will really grow the sport and make it a true powerhouse in America where right now its just kind of there in 4th opalce. Thats my favorite history thing about hokcey for right now because its kind of fun,.

[Image: rotti.gif]

Hockey prompt

McDavids insane 70+ goal pace was last achieved in the 1090’s by Teemu Selannne and Alex Mologiny in the 92-93 season. I believe that the butterfly was a fairly new, or at least not popularized quite as much as it is now, back then. Connor McDavid is also the first player to sniff a 150 point plus season since Mario Lemuix in 95-96. Basically all this to say, McDavid is an absolute stud of a player. Jonathan Toews holds the record for most shootout goals in history with 51 successful shootout attempts in his career. Funnily enough, the player in second place with 49 is none other than the other famous Blackhawk, Patrick Kane. Sidney Crosby was the 11th youngest player to 1000 points in an nhl career ever. Only 4 players in nhl history have had goal per game seasons (since 82 game season were introduced) in the nhl, Gretzky twice with 92 and 87, Brett Hull with 86, and Mario Lemuix with 85. Also, I’m pretty sure our power just went of 4 times in 3 minutes

[Image: zFE0mSA.png]      [Image: HKi05IH.png]     [Image: KS8UYv9.png]

Since I know nothing about real hockey I choose the player prompt. Makrus doesn’t know much about SHL history but he does know some things about the records this season. Makrus is no stranger to setting a record. He set the single season points record for the SMJHL back in season 60. Only to have it obliterated the next season by the same players that helped him set it in the first place. This season Makrus was on his way to breaking the single season points record in the SHL. He was also getting close to the single season goals record in the SHL. The record being 108 points and 60 goals respectively. Makrus had stiff competition this season as Max Manning and Lev Lebedev were both hunting for the same records. All 3 players did break the points record with Makrus and Max also breaking the goals record. It was a hard fought battle and in the end Max now holds the single season points record of 113 and goals record of 66. With multiple people breaking records this season hopefully they stand for a while. Damn fine season Max, you earned it.

[Image: qm0v49d.png]

Player Prompt

I would like to talk to you today about one of the greatest players that ever came out of Iceland. Defenseman Wyatt Wollker was a highly touted prospect who played his junior season for the Vancouver Whalers in S25. There was a lot of hype about a lot of players that draft, but the Texas Renegades had one player on their mind when they stepped up to announce the First Overall Pick in the S26 SHL Draft was Wyatt Wollker. He was supposed to be the future for that squad, but only 2 seasons after he was drafted, he was suddenly traded to the Los Angeles Panthers in the 'Trade That Broke the SHL' which featured a total of 10 players or picks moved between the 2 teams. Wollker put his head down and continued to play and improve but at this point was still pretty raw and was rather unremarkable. Then. after just 2 seasons, Wollker was shuffled off again, this time to the Manhattan Rage - part of another package deal which saw the great Chris Crutchfield head to Hollywood while ollker was off to the Big Apple. It was with the Rage that Wollker really shone - he started putting up ungodly points for a defenseman, in fact for a 5 season stretch he averaged over a point per game - which for defensemen in the STHS era was practically unheard of. His efforts got him nominated for the Aidan Richan Trophy, 3 times nominated for the Stevens Award, winning it once, and 6 times named an All-Star in the SHL. He was instrumental in the Manhattan Challenge Cup wins in both S34 and S38, in fact I believe he might still be the all-time leading playoff points by a defenseman for that squad. He was named to the Hall of Fame in his first season of eligibility, a cherry on the top of an outstanding career. In an era which featured such brilliant defenders as Alonzo Garbonzo, Bubba Nuck, Big Manious, and Jasper Clayton - Wollker was still able to rise above them for a few seasons and be one of the best that ever played. He finished off his career with the Edmonton Blizzard before retiring in S42. He was also a huge part of the IIHF Team Norway dream team of the S30's, being a feature player in part of 8 IIHF medals. Not many people think of Iceland when they think of hockey players, but Wyatt Wollker certainly made people pay attention!

[Image: dZqcwmW.jpg?format=webp&width=710&height=473]

Grizzlies      S76 SMJHL DRAFT 3RD OVERALL PICK      Grizzlies
Argonauts        S77 SHL DRAFT 4TH OVERALL PICK          Argonauts
norway                     IIHF TEAM NORWAY                       norway

There's a very interesting part of Atlanta Inferno history that does kind of get swept under the rug - several of our premier, most famous, most beloved players right now played for the early version of the Atlanta Inferno with their old players. Before Pablo Salvatici, there was Nolan Sawchunk. Before Angus McFife XVIII, there was Nathan Explosion btw. Before Pavel Jeziak, there was Geoff Moore. Before Salzberger Lillehammersson, there was Anders Christiansen. None of those players will be most remembered as a member of the Inferno, whereas all of the recreates will, so this is a relic of history! Of these, I'd reckon Nathan Explosion is the most-remembered as an Inferno since "Nathan Explosion btw" became a bit of a meme leaguewide. These were some of the more interesting days of the Atlanta franchise - a scrappy bunch of overachievers just hanging on to their last few days in the league and making the most of it. Oh yeah Guy Zheng also counts in this thread but he was a more prominent member of those teams so I don't think he's forgotten like the rest.

[Image: ekovanotter.gif]
thanks @Carpy48 and @frithjofr and @rum_ham and @Julio Tokolosh and @Briedaqueduc for the sigs
Armada Inferno norway

Hockey Prompt

One of the interesting things about records is how we often compare eras of a sport.  This is a common topic of discussion lately because of what Ovechkin is doing while chasing the goals record in the NHL.

Many people (and I think rightly so) label Ovy as the best pure goal scorer in history and often talk about him taking first on that list as simply confirming that.  People talk about how this era scores less overall compared to the players that he is chasing and I couldn’t agree more.

One interesting wrinkle is those players who are caught in between.  A player that rode two different eras and never really benefited from being in either.  One way that players in the nhl are sometimes hurt by that is the goal scoring numbers (or shorter careers) of players who played during the clutch and grab era.  These players may never have set a high bar for modern players to surpass and it could be easy to write off that generation of scorers even though they deserve recognition

[img=0x0]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/889201044154904606/1150524829653536909/mikko.png?ex=65bff03f&is=65ad7b3f&hm=7f3229285f883239ca6017785e905ed3ff0a8b42b94f57638f43c11a5e635414&[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/4028.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/5431.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/5570.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/7241.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/5906.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/6149.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/7950.png[/img]

Although I am a Capitals fan and Alexander Ovechkin's goal scoring race is the talk right now, I am always amazed to see players play well into their lates 40s. 2 players to me stand above the rest. Gordie Howe and Jaromir Jagr. Gordie Howe is the only player to play a NHL game who was 50 years old or older. Howe played at 52 years old. I know the game is different now but playing a major sport at that age is truly amazing. Howe also held the record for most games played since 1961. He finally finshed with 1767 career GP. Howe held it for 60 years until he was finally passed by Patrick Marleau in 2021. The other player, Jaromir Jagr, I dont think gets enough recognition. Jagr started his professional playing career in 1988. He started his NHL career in 1990 and has played 1733 games in the NHL. What is also interesting about Jagr is that he has played outside of the NHL during his career whenever there was a lockout or just signed elsewhere. The now over 50 year old Jagr is still playing hockey in the Czech league where he has played since 2018. Making Jagrs whole playing career a 23 year adventure and counting.

[Image: jumbobone19.gif]
[Image: 9tINabI.png]  [Image: 1DL5JDX.png]  [Image: xc2IPJy.png]  [Image: 1DL5JDX.png]  [Image: wW0VNnL.png]
Thanks to @DELIRIVM @sköldpaddor @Merica for the Sigs

Code:
hockey prompt
[Image: 1EvsJLY.png]

[Image: fm4oNHu.png]    Aurora  norway  Raptors     [Image: YHC5qMO.png]
[Image: 47986_s.gif]