Create Account

S65 Championship Week
(This post was last modified: 06-26-2022, 10:32 PM by Leafs4ever. Edited 6 times in total.)

Task 1: (3 TPE)

Verification: Strongo

Task 2: (4 TPE)

a. An LAP team that was disappointed in a S63 finals loss is back again to face a TBB team that has been hungry for their chance in the entire FHM era. Who are you taking as a winner and why?

Los Angeles, easily. Their run two seasons ago was no fluke, they just ran into a better team in the end. The fluke was last season and that woke them up. You saw what that loss led to in the regular season. Best team in the league and a relentless will to finally win. They dominated the regular season, dominated the playoffs so far, they have a destiny to fulfill. Tampa has had a great run, but they aren't ready to knock off a team like Los Angeles. Not in the run they're on. (94 words)

b. Tampa Bay’s top forwards have been absolute power houses on this run, totalling 102 points across their top 6. If you’re LA, how do you line-match against two lines that are on an absolute tear?

The Panthers biggest strength this post-season has been their depth. With all due respect, it's not LA that has to worry about the line-matching, it's Tampa. LA's top line hasn't scored like we're used to, but have shut down the opposition. Tampa needs to try and free up ice time for their forwards, but they're in tough against any of the 3 lines LA will send out. The Panthers have dominated each round on the backs of their depth. LA can play their top line against Tampa's best line and then just win the battle on every other line. The beauty of depth. (103 words)

c. L.A.’s D pair of Kierkegaard and Kahnwald are maintaining a shocking 2 more GF/60 than GA/60, despite playing more than 21 minutes a game including PK time. If you’re Tampa Bay how do you get around these two? Hope to outlast them in endurance, or look to more depth scoring?

If you're Tampa, you'd better capitalize when those two are not on the ice. The double K's have completely dominated play when on the ice. They're setting up goals and stopping them on the defensive end. On the road, Tampa won't be able to get their top line to avoid this pair, but at home they need to make sure they get their top forwards on the ice when the K's are on the bench. You aren't scoring on them, so stay away. (83 words)

d. TBB’s roster has racked up many more shot blocks (294) than LAP has (188). Do you see this as a good thing? Is this an iron willed team that’s willing to lay down their bodies to get the job done, or do you think it paints a picture of a team that can’t maintain possession and has to find another way to keep the puck out. Maybe a bit of both?

It's not a good thing in any way for Tampa. For one, more shot blocks means you don't have the puck nearly as much as your opponent. Second, why would you want your players blocking so many shots and risking serious injury? Sure, it's brave and admirable, but in the end it's not something you want your players needing to do. Tampa needs to hold the puck longer and save their skaters from blocking shot after shot. (77 words)

Task 4: (3 TPE)

I'm well aware of the superstition going around the SHL. If your team wins the Conference Championship, do not touch the trophy! It's not the trophy you want to win, don't tempt the hockey gods and jinx your team! It's crazy to me how much this superstition took off in the hockey world, but don't count me in as one of the players who believe in it.

The whole idea that if you touch the Conference Championship trophy you'll jinx yourself from touching the Challenge Cup is bogus. Touching the cup was never about only touching the main one, it was about not touching the cup when you haven't won it yet. That you need to go through the battles and earn it on the ice before you can touch it. This has nothing to do with the Conference Championship. You battled for that trophy, that's your ticket to play for the biggest trophy in hockey. Take it and carry it into battle. Use it as your motivator to climb the final section of the mountain. If it feels like good to touch the Conference Championship, imagine the feeling of hoisting the Challenge Cup.

Touch that cup, you've earned it. Just don't settle.

(203 words)

Task 5: (3 TPE)

You know the name, but many of you don't know anything behind the name. One moment, and this one name, saved the SHL from near disaster, even a possible extinction.

Anton Razov was one of the biggest names in the creation of the SHL. The creator and GM of one of the first franchises in SHL history, the Wisconsin Monarchs, and then a figure head in the SHL Head Office. The thing about Anton was he wasn't here for a long time, but rather a good time. He spent the first few seasons with the SHL before he went away and never really heard from again. That is, except for one cold night.

Razov had been gone for a while at this point, but the SHL was humming along. There was this member of the league who quickly became a valued member. He did a lot for the league and was trusted among the higher ups. However, something turned in his final days. It all came to a head one night, when this member had enough of what he deemed to be disrespect, and went for the admin CP. Once he got in, he removed all permissions from the SHL Head Office and locked the league. No one could access the admin CP and get control of the league back. We were completely stuck. That is, except for one little thing that this person missed. He left a Head Office member with access to the CP. This member was inactive, hadn't been seen or heard from in ages. Why would you bother?

Well, the locked out, active, admins tried a last gasp effort to save the league. They reached out to one, Anton Razov, to see if they could contact him. Out of the night sky, like an angel, Anton responded to one of the admins, got word of what happened and stepped into action. He logged back into the site, accessed the CP, banned the member who caused the drama, and restored access for the rest of the SHL Head Office. Once he did, he went away as fast and as quietly as before, never to be heard from again.

We decided to commemorate this heroic act by naming the Playoff MVP after Anton Razov, for being the most valuable member when it mattered the most. God Speed Anton, wherever you are!

(393 words)

Task 7: (3 TPE)

S65 Milestones

Guy Incognito - D - #24
Texas Renegades
Season 79
0-0-0
Regular Season - [G 0] [A 0] [Pts 0] [+/- 0] [PIM 0] [Hits 0] [SB 0]

[Image: ERs3IrD.png]

(This post was last modified: 06-26-2022, 09:11 PM by marco999. Edited 1 time in total.)

Code:
Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

Verification Word: kaapo

+3 TPE  - 3/16

Code:
2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. An LAP team that was disappointed in a S63 finals loss is back again to face a TBB team that has been hungry for their chance in the entire FHM era. Who are you taking as a winner and why?
b. Tampa Bay’s top forwards have been absolute power houses on this run, totalling 102 points across their top 6. If you’re LA, how do you line-match against two lines that are on an absolute tear?
c. L.A.’s D pair of Kierkegaard and Kahnwald are maintaining a shocking 2 more GF/60 than GA/60, despite playing more than 21 minutes a game including PK time. If you’re Tampa Bay how do you get around these two? Hope to outlast them in endurance, or look to more depth scoring?
d. TBB’s roster has racked up many more shot blocks (294) than LAP has (188). Do you see this as a good thing? Is this an iron willed team that’s willing to lay down their bodies to get the job done, or do you think it paints a picture of a team that can’t maintain possession and has to find another way to keep the puck out. Maybe a bit of both?

a) I know it feels like cheating because the finals is over and LAP one, but they wouldn've been my pick to begin with. From my point of view, TBB's team is too old and full of veterans, while I feel like LAP is more balanced and that's the kind of team that tends to win championships.

b) It sounds a bit cliche to say this at this point, but defense wins championships. What happens if the TBB top 6 is locked down and they stop producing ? Does the bottom 3 had enough in them to carry the team to the championship ? My tactic is to lockdown the best forwards and make them work extra hard for everything. It'll pay off in the long run.

c) I'll say what I said last season, but a bit differently: apply pressure on them, make them nervous and don't let them have too much time with the puck. They're bound to make mistakes and it'll be your turn to capitalize. Defenders like this have a lot of giveaways usually and it's always bound to catch up to them.

d) The teams blocking a lot of shots are usually teams who don't have a lot of possession and are overwhelmed. You usually see it from basement dwellers, so I don't think it's a good look for TBB, especially against the high-powered LAP offense. It could also mean that the team is a bit worn down, so it may be something to look out for.

+4 TPE  -  7/10

Code:
Code:
7. Milestones, up to 3 TPE
Milestones are folded in with CW. So just link your Milestone claim as task 12 for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post your claim in the milestones thread for tpe earned per stat, and then link that post in your CW submission. This is done because the person who grades CW will be a different person than double-checks milestones.

Link: Milestones Link

+3 TPE  - 10/16

Code:
Code:
21. Written / Graphic, 3 TPE, Boss Fight (150 words min.)
Develop a video game boss fight based off of your team’s branding. Tell me what it looks like, what its strengths are, and most importantly– how you defeat it. ALTERNATIVELY for a graphic task, show me your player fighting the boss you’ve imagined.

It's probably the last time I'll do this about the Edmonton Blizzard, so let's try to make the most of it. I'd imagine the Blizzard boss would be almost spectral, more like an environmental boss than a physical being. It would be chilling and unforgiving. His strengths are that it's really hard to fight, because it doesn't really exist. To make sure it's the most powerful possible, it could send a group of arctic foxes to at least give you something to fight, but the real enemy is the Blizzard itself. The real way to defeat it would be to have fire powers, but let's be realistic, in the modern world a flamethrower would do the job against icy winds, but how do you defeat a blizzard ? That's an existential question right there. The foxes are easily defeatable, you don't really need help for that. I now wonder in what kind of game a Blizzard could be an enemy, perhaps a Skyrim-like game would be realistic.

+3 TPE  -  13/16

Code:
Code:
22. Written / Graphic, 3 TPE, Gone Viral (150 words min.)
Your player unexpectedly has a video go viral on social media. Why? Does it make your player look good? Does it make them look bad? What happened and why was someone filming you to begin with? ALTERNATIVELY for a graphic task, show me your player being filmed in their viral moment.

Finns can sometimes come across as cold in interviews (Kimi Raikkonen famously comes to mind) and with the regression knocking on Kaapo Kampainen's door, coupled with another quick first round exit, Kaapo came into a press conference with big sunglasses on and kept his answers really short, giving a sort of don't care attitude that became really popular on social media. The whole incident was filmed by the league's camera crew and was relayed on numerous social media accounts, before young people found it cool and relatable and started to share it everywhere. Perhaps it was foreshadowing his trade out of Edmonton to Winnipeg. Some people might say that it's not a good look for Kaapo since it looked like he didn't care and he came across as rude, but I actually think it's a good look for Kaapo because he's as popular as ever after he was traded to Winnipeg and signed a big extension. It's a new look Kaapo for what is hopefully a fresh start that will take his career to the next level.

+3 TPE  -  16/16

[Image: eMf7wNV.png]

1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

Tocaps

Milestones are folded in with CW. So just link your Milestone claim as task 12 for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total.

3 Milestones TPE

3. Written, 3 TPE, Four Star (150 words min.)

The four stars on the Four Star Cup stand for the four most important things in the SMJHL: passion, determination, dedication, and teamwork.

The passion is what makes player play the game and not just see it as a job or opportunity to make money. They share the enjoyment with the fans in a communion and this is an important aspect of the game.

The determination is absolutly essential to win the biggest trophy in Hockey. You cannot even hope to get close to it without extreme determination.

Being dedicated means you will, as a player, put attention into the details of the game, into your fellow teamates' feelings and performances, and make sure you bring your best every day to win the cup.

Teamwork: this one explains itself, the SHL is not a one man show. Everyone in the team needs to chip in to win a championship, this means doing PTs, being active, and being in symbiosis with each others. A team must elevate itself to superior gameplay every game. (172 words)

2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.

I'm taking the Tampa bay barracudas because that team survived the absolute madness of the hardest division in the SHL where 5 teams made the playoffs and each team dressing multiple all-stars. They survived the Inferno game 7 and have not looked back since then. Only time can tell if I am right or wrong!

I match line the best against the best. This matchup will be won thru attrition and small details and you can't risk trying to figure out an easy way out of the other team strenghts and weakness. You must go head on into the challenge and belive that your best players are better than the other teams best players.

I think their stats were padded from facing low quality opposition in the season compared to some other SHL divisions who were much more challenging. These stats were earned against multiple teams, not against the Barracudas only and especially not against the playoffs barracudas. News always try to push a narrative but in the end they mean basically nothing.

I think a bit of both. Blocked shots are not a negilible part of the winning equation and they have to be considered. A blocked shot doesnt mean the puck changes possession right away, you can still work it to the net afterwards and hard work can beat players doing everything to block shots. I believe it is also important to take a shot regardless of what the other team is doing, in the championship rounds the slightest mistakes and a shot can get in from any angle so you gotta bring in the volume.

Develop a video game boss fight based off of your team’s branding. Tell me what it looks like, what its strengths are, and most importantly– how you defeat it.

The Atlanta Inferno bossfight is a fire bird. It is a massive bird made entirely of fire. It is so hot that even standing near it causes serious burns. It has razor sharp talons and a beak that can melt metal. It is also incredibly fast, able to fly circles around its enemies. It's power can also melt the ice from our opponents arena which means all their skating skills would be usless.

The only way to defeat the Atlanta Inferno Fire bird is to hit it with something that is even hotter than it is, like Angus McFife's Gloryhammer that is powered with laser. This can be done by using a weapon that is superheated, or by using magic. A good magic spell is to summon a giant towel to fight it. Once the bird is hit with something hot enough, it will explode into a shower of sparks and cause humongous devastion anywhere it lands, making its defeat the defeat of its ennemies at the same time.

Character Page RD- Quarterback
[Image: micool132.gif]

Retired players:
-Toki Wartooth
-Nathan Explosion btw
-Angus McFife XVIII

[Image: lUeg4KM.png]

GM CW Pass

[Image: jumbobone19.gif]

[Image: cEbgUph.png] [Image: 1DL5JDX.png] [Image: vjZu62e.png] [Image: EnHtzQl.png] [Image: NwdnVLP.png]
Thanks to @DELIRIVM @sköldpaddor @Merica for the Sigs

Simmer Pass
(This post was last modified: 06-27-2022, 12:09 AM by Exilate. Edited 1 time in total.)

Task 1 Trivia +3 TPE
Verification Word: yeet

Task 7 Milestones +1 TPE
+1 TPE
(This post was last modified: 06-27-2022, 01:42 AM by natedoeshockey. Edited 10 times in total.)

Code:

patyatime

Code:

a. Patya am taking LAP against TBB. Patya am knowing LAP already win, but is not reason for taking, so Patya am telling you. Patya take LAP because LAP pretty much Octopussymans senior version. Patya am remember time of Octopussymans much fondly and am have many loves for organization. So, Patya go with them for winning of Cup. This much good because they am end up as winner bigs!
b. Patya am smart player, so Patya am having solution for this. Sometimes must accept good players am be scoring points. But, Patya am know what to say for LAP. Patya say to LAP "they am much good, so you must be much more good! Am must be playing hard as possible! Am must make sacrifice for make team best it can be!" Patya know this much inspiring; Patya have experience with this. Inspiration am make players play better against goodest players so can beat them!
c. Patya am pull from last question, and say must accept that Kierkegaard and Kahnwald many goods and am score points. Patya am think must look for depth scoring in this situation. Patya know, again from experience, that playoff team must be many strongs. Must be very deeps. Sometimes, star players am not playing well and role players am need for stepping up to fill gap.
d. This Patya favorite question. Maybe is bit of both. If watching good players who normally am for score and for go fast, notice in playoff they block shot and fighting hard puck battles behind net. Patya will say though, this is very many shot blocks. Patya think maybe this a problem of possession time more than sacrifice body. But, Patya know that when having winning formula, not wanting for change too much.

Code:
4. Written, 3 TPE, Do You Touch It? (150 words min.)
In the NHL there’s a well known superstition that any team that touches their conference championship trophy won’t win the Stanley Cup. Are there any superstitions like that in the SHL playoffs? If so, what are they? Where do they come from? Does your team or your player believe in them? Why or why not?

WHOA! PATYA AM SAY NEVER TOUCH CUP UNLESS WIN IT FIRST! ELSE YOU NEVER WIN! Okay, now that Patya is get this out of the way, am share other superstitions for you. Patya know cannot look at Cup too much. Usually this not possible because am not see Cup before winning it. See Cup before winning is okay but if look for too long seconds, am putting self in jeopardy of maybe not win it. So, do not stare at Cup for many seconds. Also, Patya am say do not think about Cup too much. If think about it, am not win it. Must just clear mind and play hard for win Cup. This how you get to eventually touch and look at Cup. These am Patya own personal beliefs. Not sure if team believe in this because Patya am not have opportunity for discuss this with them. Kingmans are still trying for get to playoffs so is not much topic of discussion for maybe be sour and make sads.

Code:
5. Written, 3 TPE, Mysterious Person 150 words min
Make up an important character from SHL history. Tell me their name, what their job was, and why they’re important. Maybe they were an eccentric team owner? An agent that represented half the league? Heck, make it a real person from SHL history if you want! I’m always down to hear cool old SHL stories!

When Patya am young, Patya father am tell him stories of man named Phil Richards. Phil Richards am man who sole job is for live with and take care of Cup. Patya am think this job many cools! But, this man am live very secret life. Am live in secret locations and hide Cup so it can not be for steal. Patya am hear that he live off land. Am hunt animals and do all fishing and forage for surviving. Patya am think "Wow, this much manly man! Patya am aspire for be this manly!" This not work out as much. Patya play the hockeys and like finer things. Anyway, Patya always notice when  Phil Richards am show up for winner of Cup with Cup, am always looking nice. Always wear gloves for no fingerprints. Patya appreciate attention to detail. Patya am hope to meet this man one day for ask if stories is true. But, Patya am need win Cup for this.

Code:
6. Written, 3 TPE, New Stat (150 words min.)
I work for the FHM dev team and I’m giving you, sweet user, the ability to add any stat you want to our player build system. Footwork? Sure! Stink level? Why not! Stomach capacity? Ok… I guess so! Tell me what stat you want to add, and how you imagine it’ll affect the sim.

Patya read this and much quickly think "WOWIE! FOOTWORK STAT AM BE PRETTY COOL!" Patya am think this maybe be skating stat that matter much. Maybe apply for things like make spinaroni move, or maybe for how deep player can get on edges before falling. This would be much cool factor for adding. Patya am see these pretty good players before, thinking names am something like Makar and McDavid but not sure. Anyway, Patya am notice how great footworks they am having! Maybe this stat make it more easy for represent this, no? Patya am also having much fancy footwork. Am much good Russian player so this many importants for all of us as we learn from young age. Patya think other cool stat would be creativity! Patya am see this player one time who is name Kent Johnson. Is much creative with puck, am excited for watch him play more because of this! Patya am think these stats game changers!

Code:
Develop a video game boss fight based off of your team’s branding. Tell me what it looks like, what its strengths are, and most importantly– how you defeat it. ALTERNATIVELY for a graphic task, show me your player fighting the boss you’ve imagined.

Patya am thinking maybe is cliche, but boss for team branding is big fat Kingman with much large scepter and much beautiful crown! It has great strengths, and is much fast, and can do spinaroni attack with cloak! It also have ability for throw scepter like boomerang! WOWIE! SO SCARIES! But, Patya am able to let you in on secret for defeat boss, because this video game and Patya want it for be fun so can win! So, for beat Kingsman, need for first smack off crown. After smack off crown, am need for stun boss and then focus damage on scepter! Then, SCEPTER EXPLODE! KAPOW! Then Kingman am try for fight with fists, and then am just need for attack Kingman until health bar much empty! This sound simple, but Patya can not say everything. Patya am save best surprise for last -- this boss much like many hards Dark Souls boss! Patya am enjoy these games so this boss am sound simple but very hard because must learn timings!

PROJECTED TOTAL: +16 TPE

Lore: Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5
[Image: 65011_s.gif]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png]   [Image: HKi05IH.png]   [Image: gs89eGV.png]
(This post was last modified: 06-30-2022, 07:11 AM by dankoa. Edited 6 times in total.)

1. Trivia

Verification word: quiz

Well in the SHL you can't touch the trophies due to the simulated nature of the league; they are not objects that exist in the physical world that we inhabit, hope that helps. But in the spirit of the task, if the SHL were to exist in the real world I'd imagine that there would be similar traditions followed by teams with regard to not touching any trophy until the conclusion of the cup finals. The league largely follows a similar format to that of the NHL, and given how superstitious athletes are as a rule it's likely that there would not be much difference in the way that they would act in another hockey league. I would imagine that Kaarlo Kekkonen would follow the traditions quite closely; he's become one of the veteran players in the league, with this offseason marking 15 years since he was drafted, and as a former Challenge Cup champion, it's likely that he's well versed in what's acceptable in terms of keeping your superstitious teammates happy.

Code:
172 words

7. Milestones

Milestones Link (+3 TPE)

15. Written, 3 TPE, IIAM Excited for IIHF (150 words min.)

There's obviously a lot of bias on display here but I really think that there's a good chance for Finland to go back to back and win another IIHF gold medal in this season's tournament. Finland's undergone a transformation from a joke to an almost perennial contender in the tournament, evidenced by 2 medals in 3 seasons, a return that even the largest of nations would be proud of. Given that, I think there's a very good chance for Team Finland to get into the medals once again. Besides us, I think that the safe bets like Team Canada, Team Japan and Team USA are always a threat to do well in the tournament and so it's hard to look too far beyond them for a challenger when it comes to the medal podium. I'm interested to see who comes out of it the best, I think Finland has a chance to do really well again but ultimately it's a very difficult tournament to predict and we'll just have to wait and see!

Code:
173 words

When a player of Kaarlo's age goes viral, it tends not to be for good things being that he's not one of the more youthful members of his team and doesn't really stay up to date with the online trends that are big with young people these days. One of the main things that he does do however that could definitely generate some attention is his love of trick shots and eye-popping dekes. He's long been known as a skillful player who can do some very impressive things with the puck on his stick, so I could definitely see a teammate filming him doing something cool like this in practice and then it going viral on social media when it gets out. Otherwise I guess it would be for the kind of things that normally go viral unintentionally, like someone doing or saying something stupid or funny and everything just kinda snowballing from there. It's definitely not a dream of Kaarlo's to go viral on social media, but I guess you never know what might happen at this stage in his career so keep an eye out for something funny like that coming soon I guess!

Code:
196 words

15/16

[Image: VkRiFym.png]

[Image: dankoa2004.gif]
(This post was last modified: 06-27-2022, 08:36 AM by TheFlash. Edited 1 time in total.)

Code:

Olivia

Code:
Post your claim in the milestones thread for tpe earned per stat, and then link that post in your CW submission. This is done because the person who grades CW will be a different person than double-checks milestones.
S65 Milestones +3

(This post was last modified: 06-29-2022, 07:01 PM by Reno. Edited 2 times in total.)

Task 1: Trivia word: Reno (3/16)

Affiliate PBE PT Affiliate (6/16)

4. Theres a few superstitions that I know of with the SHL trophies. The main one I learned is make sure you disinfect the Four Star Cup before doing anything with it. This is because despite the fact Evgeni Petrov only won it once, he continues to do incredibly unsanitary things with the cup that I legally cant describe without getting fined by Head Office. So just make sure you deep clean it and give it an exorcism before you start celebrating with it, trust me. The other tradition that I know of is that you’re not legally allowed to touch any award unless Angus McFife approves of it. You see, he’s gonna win the cup, so he allows people to touch the cup before him, but you just need his approval. He’s a really nice guy so if you ask politely he’ll let you touch the cup, but the last person who touched it without his approval has still yet to be found. (9/16)

7. Milestones (12/16)

21. The video game boss based on the Inferno is Burstinatrix the Inferno, a giant fire breathing phoenix in the style of a Dark Souls enemy, accompanied by Eko Otterus the Norwegian, the knight riding said phoenix with a giant otter shaped lance that does piercing damage. The strengths of this boss comes from its massive area of effect fire attacks that are immediately followed by Otterus’s high single target damage that catches people not ready for the cycle changes. It also can fly obviously, and because this boss fight isn’t nearly toxic enough its going to have the ability to heal itself if you defeat the phoenix but cant defeat Otterus within 5 minutes. The weakness for the boss is Otterus is able to be knocked off with a well timed Arby’s beef and cheddar sandwich to the head and he is significantly weaker on the ground, and Burstinatrix can be defeated by grabbing a big enough super soaker and simply putting him out. (15/16)

23. Honestly, I appreciate the opportunity to talk about my life for a bit. It’s been exhausting the past two weeks and holy hell I’m tired. I work for my town department of public works so its been all manual labor in 80+ degree days with 90% humidity on most of them so its sweaty and tiring. Its rewarding work though, since its super labor intensive its amazing exercise and I’m continuing on my weight loss goal at a pretty steady rate so cant complain there. Only downside is I think I’m starting to get addicted to coffee again to survive evenings to do stuff, but I guess that’s better than being useless. (17/16)

[Image: Us6kFH7.png]
[Image: of1yZSs.png]
[Image: IyckvZg.png]

(This post was last modified: 06-27-2022, 11:08 AM by takethehorizon. Edited 8 times in total.)

Code:
In the NHL there’s a well known superstition that any team that touches their conference championship trophy won’t win the Stanley Cup. Are there any superstitions like that in the SHL playoffs? If so, what are they? Where do they come from? Does your team or your player believe in them? Why or why not?

I believe it goes without saying, any players on any sports team should not touch a single trophy on their way to the ultimate prize. Best regular season record, individual awards etc are all great achievements but every player should be focused on winning the final championship award and be the last team standing - and the SHL is no different. Kavanagh and his team made sure not to touch or even think about winning any awards other than the ultimate prize of the Challenge Cup. This was the case for both championship seasons in S59 and S62. Another well known superstition on Texas is growing out a playoff beard when it's time for playoffs. Players know to throw their razors away and not trim a hair on their body come playoff time - doing so could put their entire team in jeopardy and be at risk for jinxing their chances of winning a championship.

Word Count: 153

Code:
5. Written, 3 TPE, Mysterious Person 150 words min
Make up an important character from SHL history. Tell me their name, what their job was, and why they’re important. Maybe they were an eccentric team owner? An agent that represented half the league? Heck, make it a real person from SHL history if you want! I’m always down to hear cool old SHL stories!

Buster Brand. Buster was alot of things to the SHL. He mainly worked as a Zamboni driver that would travel to different rinks around the SHL to spread awareness on how to create the perfect ice for game time. Buster dedicated 62 years of his life to ensuring players were given the best ice to skate on. But he was more than just a ice crew member, he was a beloved friend, father and husband. Buster would always be around to shoot the breeze with anyone who would bend his ear or would need someone to talk with. Mr. Brand was originally from Long Island, NY but 'lived on the road' as he often said, willing to travel wherever the NHL needed him. Buster stopped working at the ripe age of 75 and passed away last year after a long battle with cancer. Buster is a role model for all young ice hockey players and people alike. He will be remembered as one of the greatest to be involved within the SHL and no one will make fresher ice than him.

Word Count: 181

Code:
6. Written, 3 TPE, New Stat (150 words min.)
I work for the FHM dev team and I’m giving you, sweet user, the ability to add any stat you want to our player build system. Footwork? Sure! Stink level? Why not! Stomach capacity? Ok… I guess so! Tell me what stat you want to add, and how you imagine it’ll affect the sim.

Lucky stat should be the next stat category introduced next season. The lucky category will work just as it sounds, the higher the attribute the more likely things will be willing to go that player's way. Things that could impact this are things like controversial calls, close call goals, shots off the pipe going in, etc. This would most likely be a secondary attribute as it wouldn't come into play every game like shooting, passing or checking would. An interesting addition would be that come playoff time, the lucky stat is doubled which makes those close games even more interesting with multiple players on both teams with high lucky stats. Goalies with a high lucky attribute could also be interesting to see. Perhaps goalies would get luckier seeing shots through screens, scrambling saves and other difficult shots where they may have been beaten but 'got lucky' and made the save. I hope to see this added to FHM sometime in the future!

Word Count: 162

Code:

S65 Milestones +3

Code:

Sergeant Renegade! The final boss of a western style video game series. He's a large renegade, at least 10 stories tall with a revolver in each hand. He deals most of his damage locking onto the player and shooting bullets in rapid succession. He moves around the map fairly slow looking to crush the player with his large cowboy boots. He also damages the player by throwing massive snakes onto the field that deal damage to the player if bitten. For a special high damaging move, he pulls throwing knives out of his pocket which if the player gets hit with one of these is an instant death. Sergeant Renegade has multiple health bars but can be beaten with ranged or melee hits. There is a chance for critical hits in the head. Players are also able to do damage to his revolves to disable them and prevent him from shooting. Just before he is beaten, Sergeant Renegades shrinks to normal height and the player is forced to have an old fashion gun standoff with him before taking him down. Think you can defeat him?

Word Count: 185

Code:
23. Written, 2 TPE, How Are You? (100 words min.)
Instead of asking you about other people this season, I figured I’d ask about you! How are you feeling? Take a couple of minutes to write about what’s going on in your life and how you’re feeling lately. I think taking the time to write things down helps me appreciate or understand them better, so maybe this could help you! Or you can just rant about your cat annoying you for 100 words and collect 2 TPE. I guess that works too.

Great idea for a prompt! I've been doing great as of late. The fiancée and I are preparing for our wedding which is just around the corner in a few months so we've been busy with wedding things. Family and friends are all healthy so can't complain there. I've been a bit 'stuck' in my current job but the job search is on hold for now until after the wedding because if I find something new I won't have any time off. I live by the beach so this summer has been great so far. Have a few vacations later this year that i'm excited for. It's important to reflect like this every now and then to remember not only what we're grateful for but everything we have especially through difficult times. I have a job, a loving fiancee and a roof over my head - the rest is just gravy. 

Word Count: 151

3 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 2 = 17

[Image: takethehorizon.gif]
[Image: IdMkYiH.png]

[Image: NIYtQkE.png] [Image: NjFSX1z.png]
(This post was last modified: 06-27-2022, 06:33 PM by Allegiant. Edited 1 time in total.)

1. CW TRIVIA (3/16)

Verification Word: avsavsavs

3. FOUR STAR (6/16)

The Four Star Cup may have a nebulous name, but the name is actually fairly simple: it reflects the four cardinal directions of the compass to reflect how wide-ranging the league is in terms of its geographic scope. That may sound silly, and on the face of it -- it is. But if you get right down to it, the SMJHL is one of the widest-ranging leagues in North America. To the far north, you have the Anchorage Armada and the Yukon Mamalutes. To the west, you've the Vancouver Whalers and the Regina Elk. To the East, you need only look at the Newfoundland Berserkers and their processors in Halifax. Finally, to the South you have the Nevada Battleborn.

Arguably, the league could do with a little more southward expansion to balance out the increasing focus the league has placed on expansion into obscure small markets in the northernmost reaches of the continent, but the theme is true either way: the Four Star Cup represents the ultimate prize in junior sports across all of North America, and each of its four most distant directions.

Then again, maybe the name of the Cup just refers to the first four junior teams and it doesn't represent much at all.

4. DO YOU TOUCH IT? (9/16)

While the SHL may not have the same degree of superstition that a league like the NHL has, some traditions do carry over: and like the NHL, a lot of those superstitions come down to the wants of the team, represented most wholly by the captain and to a lesser extent by the owner.

The Quebec City Citadelles went to the SMJHL finals last year, and the decision was made not to touch or even celebrate that heavily the victory over their conference. This was due to the belief, a belief that panned out, that the team hadn't really won anything until it beat the Newfoundland Berserkers. While the Citadelles fell this year before getting a chance to make the same decision, a similar mindset to the NHL would likely follow through: if you touch the trophy and lose, don't touch it next time... and if you don't touch it, then the reverse logic takes precedence.

Beyond that, there aren't many consistent league-wide traditions or superstitions to take account for. Most teams develop such strong independent cultures that they develop their own habits and rituals. The consistent locker room environments that survive even roster turnover help contribute to this unique, every-team-an-island feeling.

5. MYSTERIOUS PERSON (12/16)

Zach Miller is perhaps best known as being a reliable player on and off the ice, but he's also an example of how team relationships remain important even in the long-term. Back before the Portland Admirals moved to San Francisco, there was a fairly famous tampering charge placed against the Admirals, all for the sake of a player who would have been a borderline roster piece to begin with. This prompted one of the most tragic firesales in SHL history, where a team on the precipice of greatness was completely tore down root and stem for future assets.

One of the most notable trades in this involved young star Nikolaus Scholz, who was traded to the Edmonton Blizzard. Scholz would immediately contribute, joining other Blizzard acquisitions (such as, self-promotion, Winston Windsor from the Minnesota Chiefs) to win a Challenge Cup in short order. This was enabled because, despite the ferocity of the fire-sale, the existing connections between Miller and Teztify, the unheralded best general manager in SHL history whose legacy is only overlooked because he didn't stay around for thirty seasons in a row, meant that the Blizzard were able to take a priority spot in Miller's calling list.

Miller's reckless firesale is a story unto itself, but his tendency to create long-lasting friendships has also shaped the success and failure of multiple teams even beyond those that he has managed or coached personally.

6. NEW STAT (15/16)

FHM has a pretty solid and well-balanced set of statistics, but one thing that might make sense if the attributes were to be expanded even further would be to multiply the shooting statistics somewhat. This is probably unnecessary, but would provide a little more flavour to goal-scoring players in particular. That is to say, include attributes that work in conjunction with eachother to help determine your player's shooting tendencies.

For example:

Shooting Accuracy
++ Wrist Shot
++ Backhand Shot

Shooting Range
++ Slapshot
++ Snapshot

This would likely have one of two impacts on the broader simulation. Either you would see players start to differentiate how they score on a sim to sim level, with some players opting for a classic 'skate in and take a slap shot' style of scoring while more would likely focus on wristers for forwards and slapshots for defencemen. The other, perhaps more likely outcome is that some team or another would figure out that if you make everyone max out their slapshot statistics they'll start scoring an insane amount of goals off constant rebounds and the engine would be forever broken.

On second thought, maybe it's best just to keep the attributes limited. But even so, the prospect of being able to make a player with a Joe Sakic-level wrist shot has to be at least a little appealing.

23. HOW ARE YOU? (16/16

It's nice of you to ask! My last month has been unusually hectic and stressful, which is ironic because I've gotten shockingly little work done over that time and my supervisor is probably starting to wonder if I've forgotten his e-mail. But after following the Avalanche since I was a little kid, they've finally won a championship I'm old enough to actually understand the importance of. I wish I had a good excuse for why I'm a Colorado fan, but it's honestly because Peter Forsberg was on the cover of my first sports game (NHL 98) and became my favourite player at the time. There were other times a team I decided to root for won the cup, but it was always a 'well Colorado is out of it, might as well root for the Penguins because I like Phil Kessel' kind of decision. It hits different when a team you've followed through highs and lows (and very low-lows) actually wins.

Otherwise, things are good. I'm happy with where the SHL is at and hopeful that the FHM8 transition sorts out the weird almost scientific level of optimization teams were getting away with in FHM6. But, as someone who was here off and on since S1 (usually as forgettable players, admittedly), I have to say that the fun of actually getting to make a build that isn't identical to every other build hasn't worn off for me, especially at the junior level, but I'm hoping that continues on into the future.

[Image: hqBRlWW.png]
Berserkers Blizzard Usa

(This post was last modified: 07-03-2022, 04:07 PM by Michiganonymous. Edited 2 times in total.)

1. Trivia Verification Word
Grizzls

3. Four Star
There’s a few different theories about what the Four Stars on the Four Star Cup stand for: the four divisions in the SHL, or the four wins required to prevail in a best of seven playoff series. Another popular idea is that four stars with five points each represent the four lines of five players (3 FWD, 2 DEF) that a Cup-winning team needs to call upon, and that the Cup is meant to represent the roster depth and perseverance that a team needs to have to win a championship. The only problem with that theory is it ignores the importance of elite goaltending in getting through the grind of a long playoff series. (Goalies are people too!) There’s even a really bonkers idea out there that the very first championship trophy in SHL history, way way back in the unofficial, semi-pro beer-league days, was literally a “cup” from Four Star Pizza, a joint just down the road from the crappy rink all the first SHL teams shared. That kinda seems like bunk to me, since there’s no evidence that a place called Four Star Pizza ever even existed. The stars could represent core values like “Strength,” “Unity,” “Perseverance,” and “Sportsmanship,” but that just seems hokey. Personally, I like the “four stars for four wins” theory, but whatever the stars really mean might be lost to history. (227 words, +3 TPE)

6. New Stat
It might be interesting to see how the sim handled the addition of "stat modifiers." These wouldn't be statistics exactly, but instead they would alter the effective values of a player's other stats based on certain conditions. For example, we could imagine a modifier stat called "Clutch Gene" that has different effects in the 3rd period: a player gets +1 to offensive attributes if his team is trailing, +1 to defensive attributes if his team has a 1-goal lead, and +1 to all stats in overtime. Another example I thought of would be a modifier called "Fan Favorite," where a player gets +1 to certain attributes during home games. The exact attributes boosted could depend on the attributes that are most important for that player's archetype. For example, a Goon or Enforcer forward might get boosts to Screening, Strength, Fighting, Aggression, and Bravery, whereas a Sniper forward might instead get boosts to Getting Open, Shooting Accuracy, Shooting Range, Offensive Read, and Speed. (162 words, +3 TPE)

7. Milestones -- +3 TPE

[Image: michiganshl.gif]
(This post was last modified: 07-03-2022, 02:27 PM by Memento Mori. Edited 5 times in total.)

Code:
0. Affiliate PT

WSBL Affiliate

+3

Code:

Verification Word: rock

+3

Code:

Milestones Post

+3

Code:

As a flaming bird (phoenix?), the Inferno mascot makes a great video game boss. It's difficult to hit for most characters, being a boss that can fly, and it shoots fire. I imagine it having two standard attacks, one where it shoots fireballs from a distance that the player will have to dodge, and occasionally swooping down and breathing fire over a larger area - an attack that's much harder to dodge. No one likes fire. The strategy to defeat it will depend on what kind of attacks the player specialises in. A melee character will be left unable to do anything but dodge while the bird flies high and shoots fireballs, but when it swoops down close to the ground it will be comparatively vulnerable from close range. A ranged character should be able to send in some attacks of its own in between dodging fireballs, but will find it difficult to do any damage during the sequence when the bird comes in close. It's a perfect video game boss. (170 words)

+3

Code:
Your player unexpectedly has a video go viral on social media. Why? Does it make your player look good? Does it make them look bad? What happened and why was someone filming you to begin with? ALTERNATIVELY for a graphic task, show me your player being filmed in their viral moment.

As the reader will undoubtedly be aware, Jay Sink is no stranger to going viral on social media. Jay Sink loves his fans, and so he is regularly pictured and videoed interacting with them. Jay Sink went viral because a local Atlanta school were invited to come and watch an Inferno practice. Being Atlanta fans, every child in attendance was also a Jay Sink fan. Approximately 100 of the children had brought Sink Inferno jerseys with them, and all swarmed the side of the rink begging Jay to sign the jerseys for them. Jay Sink isn't the best at writing (or anything academic), and so signing a jersey is quite a difficult task for him. Nevertheless, he took the time out of his day after practice to sign all 100 jerseys, and a team employee couldn't help but video the act and send it to the team's social media department for them to post online. Jay's selfless act, borne of his love for his fans, was recognised by SHL fans nationwide. (171 words)

+3

Code:
23. Written, 2 TPE, How Are You? (100 words min.)
Instead of asking you about other people this season, I figured I’d ask about you! How are you feeling? Take a couple of minutes to write about what’s going on in your life and how you’re feeling lately. I think taking the time to write things down helps me appreciate or understand them better, so maybe this could help you! Or you can just rant about your cat annoying you for 100 words and collect 2 TPE. I guess that works too.

I've had a lot happen over the course of the last SHL season. I finished university, having returned aged 25 to complete my degree after taking a break prior to my final year 3 years ago. My graduation is in two weeks time. Immediately after I finished, I got a message from my old boss trying to bring me back and after coming into the office to meet with them I accepted their offer, so I got a new/old job. I'm moving house at the end of this month, there's a lot going on at the moment. The one negative is that my PC stopped working last week, so I'm currently having to spend some Great British Pounds to have it repaired and I can't game at the moment. I'm good, though. (133 words)

+2

16 (17) total

[Image: sink.png]
[Image: Screenshot_2021-04-12_000020.png]

1. Trivia (3 TPE)
Verification word: Grease

5. Mysterious Person (3 TPE)
Everyone knows that every season there are (now) 20 teams that compete for the Challenge Cup, but not many people knows where this coveted trophy comes from. It was actually donated at the end of the SHL's very first season by one of the league's executives, Lord Stanley Challengecup, when the Winnipeg Jets finished the playoffs on top and in a rather anticlimactic ending there was nothing for them to bring home after their hard fought season. In a stroke of genius, Lord Stanley Challengecup drove to his local Zeller's and grabbed the largest cheap plastic trophy he could find. This trophy was called the Challengecup Cup (later shortened to the Challenge Cup in a bastardization of the name), and eventually coated with precious metals and engraved. To preserve the history of the trophy, the league wanted to ensure that there would be a secret compartment on the bottom of it that you could open to see the original plastic on the hollow inside.

6. New Stat (3 TPE)
For FHM 8 it would be nice if alongside TPE, goalies could earn a different type of Points From Tasks, or PFT for short, which they could use to upgrade their players and make them play better the more they earn. The main difference between TPE and PFT would be that unlike TPE, upgrades made using PFT would noticeably improve goalies in areas such as their blocker side, glove side, passing, poke checking, positioning, rebound control, recovery, puck handling, low shots, reflexes, skating, mental toughness, and stamina. Jokes aside, I also think that goalies should switch over to the new update scale that players have been using for a little while now. Under the current system, you can get a "perfect" build for three or four seasons by max earning, since you reach this point at just over 1900 TPE. There is hardly going to be any difference between the builds of a goalie at 1900 versus 2100 since all of their important stats will already be maxed out, and the secondary stats don't really do as much.

7. Milestones (3 TPE)
+3 for Milestones

18. Procrastinator (2 TPE)
Looking at the stats I don't know if anyone can be surprised by the way the playoffs went. The team that won the cup was the president's trophy winner. The two teams in the finals were the tops of their respective conferences. The next two were 2nd in their divisions and the tops of their conferences. I do wish that my team, Chicago, could have pulled off an upset and made the finals again, but LA had a strong team and they showed everyone this season not to write them off. Beyond the top four teams, the only two "upsets" in the playoffs were Atlanta beating Baltimore, who only had one more point in the regular season, and Hamilton beating Toronto, but how can you call Hamilton the underdogs ever.

22. Gone Viral (3 TPE)
CHICAGO - The goaltender of the Simulation Hockey League's Chicago Syndicate, Mat Smith, went viral on social media today after an embarrassing video of him was posted on Twitter. The video features him in one of Chicago's fine dining establishments, Buongiorno's Italian Deli and Pizzeria, late at night, presumably after a few drinks, with some fans approaching him. They ask him if he can teach them how to do the splits, to which he immediately drops down. The embarrassing moment happens next, when the jeans he wore tore down the seam between his legs, revealing his rather tight white underwear beneath. The internet is calling this "tightywhiteygate," and in response to all this attention the Chicago Syndicate released a statement from the netminder: "I knew it would come out eventually that I wear tighty whiteys. I'm glad it finally has so I can stop secretly wearing them underneath my boxers in the locker room. To everyone out there making fun of me I say this: You've been cheering me on when they give me the comfort and mobility I need to make saves on the ice, so you can't judge me now that you know how I do it."

3+3+3+3+2+3=17 TPE
16 TPE cap reached

[Image: Mat10Man.gif]
Portal
Portal