Create Account

S78 Championship Week Due: Sunday, September 29th @ 11:59 PM PST
(This post was last modified: 09-30-2024, 12:02 AM by natedoeshockey. Edited 3 times in total.)

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

patyatime

+3 TPE

Code:
Code:
Written, 50 to 200+ words each. Short Prompts

2. Derek Martin is player with most points that plays in finals. Los Angeles has 3 other players that are also above or tied in points with Tampa’s Max Carnage. Does Los Angeles have advantage on scoring or does it just seem like it as they have also played 3 more games?
3. Many of Tampa Bay’s defencemen, like Jølngüštrâädüvich DuBølk and John Brown have better defensive stats compared to Panthers defencemen. Do you think they can keep shutting down the offensive of Los Angeles or do you think that Los Angeles defencemen just appear worse because of the tougher opponents they have had to face?
4. Before finals both goalies have pretty similar Goals Against Average, Soonika leading 2.51 to 2.55, but Brzeczyszczykiewicz has edge on save percentage 0.927 to 0.919. Which of the teams do you think has edge on net?
5. Finals can often come down to smallest details and teams are looking for any edge they can have. On average Tamba Bay players have longer names by almost 2 characters, how can either of the teams take advantage of that?
6. How was the season for you player? What you expect from next one?
7. This time for J: Who you got? Who wins the Four Star Cup? Why?

Prompt 2

Patya really thinking that Los Angeles am having scoring advantage. Yes they am playing more games this season but also they just am just looking like they am have more scoring. Los Angeles been much good team for past few seasons so Patya not really surprised by this. Also, Los Angeles am end up winning so I guess Patya was right. Patya procrastinate again, like always.

66 words, +1 TPE

Prompt 6

Honestly, Patya thinking he play pretty good this past season. Patya just keep getting older and league keep getting younger and Patya very productive for 3rd line player at this point in career. Patya not setting career highs or anything but Patya been point per game for entire career in New Orleans and keep scoring goals and getting assists and it am just feel so good. Patya also sad for announce that time in New Orleans am come to end. Patya have no idea what future am hold but am so blessed for get to play the ice hockeys with best friend Atticus Hale for so long. From Carolina to New Orleans, with little bit of Minnesota inbetween, Patya have hard time of think of any better way for spend career. Patya hoping both of us find magic for maybe one or two more seasons with new teams. Patya never win championship with best friend, but maybe championship is getting for be with best friend all the time. Patya wish everyone am can be having this experience but know it many rares and therefore am treasure it forever. Patya want for thank everyone in New Orleans for helping Patya make this happen. Love you bud. @the5urreal

205 words, +4 TPE

Total: 8/8 TPE

Lore: Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5
[Image: 65011_s.gif]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png]   [Image: HKi05IH.png]   [Image: gs89eGV.png]
(This post was last modified: 09-29-2024, 11:43 PM by Stamkos Is My Dad. Edited 1 time in total.)

pickles

[Image: zeus-stom-draft-night.png]

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.
MooImACow

Code:
12. Written, 50 to 200+ words. Is It Always The Same?
IIHF is short tournaments with only 12 round robin games for each team, which leads to huge swings from season to season when it comes to standings. Same is true for the WJC as well. With that in mind what do you think will be different from last season? Do you expect things to change for your team or player? And what you expect to stay the same?
While the IIHF format stays the same every season, the same cannot be said about the pools the fourteen teams play in, which changes the outlook for most teams, mainly in the "middle of the pack". Some teams tend to have a natural affinity against other, when it comes to roster composition, so the swing between the middle four teams of a pool can get pretty wild. Thankfully for my team, Switzerland, we're still riding the high of our generation, so we should be able to maintain our place in the top 2 teams of our pool, especially considering the fairly "weak" competition inside it. But make no mistake - there is no true "weak" team within the IIHF tournament, as even federations that are less "well endowed" as others will still have a few players in the 1500 to 2000 TPE range, which can change the complexion of any given game. This alone keeps the tournament interesting - tell me, who foresaw an Ireland vs Japan final last season, when there were so many other favorites to choose from?
(179 words)

Code:
13. Written, 50 to 200+ words. Out With The Old, In With The New
Team Russia got replaced by Quebec, which for sure got people talking about the IIHF. What other nations/regions would you like to see get their own team? Would you think they should replace current teams and if so which ones would you seek to replace? And most importantly, why you think that teams you picked would be more interesting or improve the IIHF in general?
I, for one, am thrilled to see Québec make their way to the IIHF tournament, if only to see a bit of a renewal of interest in the tournament (I suspect that the ones that complained the hardest are also users that have yet to watch a single minute of the tournament on stream... but I digress.) That opens up the possibility of other "nations" that have a certain degree of independence to join the ranks, maybe even pushing the format to 16 teams in the future, which would allow for 4-team pools instead of the overcrowded 7-team pools we have today. A team in Scotland, in particular, would be one I'd love to see. Other "borderline" nations in the world, like Slovakia and Denmark, would also be nice to see represented in our league. All in all, the more we talk about the IIHF, the better it is for the overall health of the league, because it gives us something to do while our "professional" teams are on standby.
(174 words)

[Image: KlusteR.gif]

Chiefs Monarchs Lions Berserkers Switzerland Blizzard pride Panthers Grizzlies

[Image: EePsAwN.png]    [Image: e0LuHwa.png]    [Image: eaex9S1.png]

Special thanks to @Carpy48, @Chevy, @Turd Ferguson, @fever95 and @enigmatic for the signatures!

1. Ball +3 TPE

10. I think the biggest surprise team from season 77 to season 78 was Calgary. Calgary did way better than I had expected them to do during the season. During season 77 Calgary finished with 20 wins and was 17th in the league and during season 78 Calgary finished with 36 wins and was 10th in the league. One of the most shocking stats is during season 77 Calgary had a -105 goal differential and in season 78 had a +24 goal differential. As far as going into next season, I believe that Calgary could have another solid year and potentially make it back into the top 10 again. (108 words) +2 TPE

14. The season 78 challenge cup was the Los Angeles panthers. One of the main reasons the Los Angeles one was because of their goal scoring abilities. In the playoffs, Los Angeles has three of the top five goal scorers during the playoffs and four of the top 10 points scorers in the playoffs. Having that many players on one team, putting up goals and points will definitely lead to a high-powered team in the playoffs. The second reason for Los Angeles winning the cup was because of their goaltending. The Los Angeles goalie had 759 saves during the playoffs with a .926 save percentage. The Los Angeles goalie also had five shutouts in the playoffs which was the best in the league by 4 shutouts and was able to have a goals saved above average of 17.94. Having this combination of offensive talent and goaltending will allow a team to go all the way, and that’s exactly what Los Angeles did.
(162 Words) +3 TPE
(This post was last modified: 09-30-2024, 12:51 AM by Count Chocula. Edited 3 times in total.)

Code:

JNH

Prompt 2: 105 words - 2 TPE

The Panthers have no shortage of offense on their roster. Martin may lead the playoffs in points, but he's not the only weapon they have. They have 3 former MVPS on the team with Prpich, Rashford, and LEG. Not to mention other superstars like Piastri and Kirby. Meanwhile the Barracuda only have a duo of players with Carnage and Svensson. Their team has solely depended on the performance of these two, and as of yet they haven't let them down. It's a lot of pressure on these two to keep the ship going as opposed to los Angeles who has a whole crew on board.

Prompt 4: 57 words - 1 TPE

Tampa has the edge when it comes to goaltending. Soonika should win the top goalie award this season for what he was able to do. While Brzeczyszczykiewicz already has a cup to his name, he has always seemed to be hot and cold. There is always something you feel is missing. Soonika has been consistent all season.

Prompt 8: 104 words - 2TPE

Los Angeles has had a tougher time getting to the finals than Tampa. The West is arguably the tougher conference however which is to be expected. In another world Texas or San Francisco would be in the finals and no one would question it. Meanwhile the East was pretty obvious to predict for anyone with a brain cell. Los Angeles is a more playoff built and proven team. They have a lineup of veterans who have won the cup before. Their new GM even brought in two more players who won in San Francisco. The roster is loaded with talent from top to bottom.

[Image: Chocula22.gif]
Berserkers Wolfpack France

8/8

Code:

CW TRIVIA LINK

scruf

Writing Prompts

Code:
Written, 50 to 200+ words each. Short Prompts
2. Derek Martin is player with most points that plays in finals. Los Angeles has 3 other players that are also above or tied in points with Tampa’s Max Carnage. Does Los Angeles have advantage on scoring or does it just seem like it as they have also played 3 more games?
2. 111 words, 2 TPE

In retrospect, the points advantage was not a fluke of having played more games.  Los Angeles outscored Tampa Bay 23 to 16 including two shutouts, one to start and one to end the series.  By the end, Max Carnage had more points than anyone besides Derek Martin, but the Panthers had 4 skaters in the top 10 for points while the Barracuda only had 2.  If we want to really talk about scoring advantage, we should highlight Texas who had 3 skaters in the top 10 with a 3rd round exit.  Valentine almost kept the scoring lead through the finals except Martin edged him out by 2 points in the end.

Code:
11. Written, 50 to 200+ words. Give Me More
When things stay the same for too long there is risk of them becoming stale, so to ensure that doesn’t happen we need to add something or to something and as you were just elected as dictator of SHL you get to make the pick. Are we going to have more games? Maybe add few teams or 4th lines to current ones? Could even add more stats to spend our TPE by not standardazing the mental stats? What or to what would you add and why?
300 words, 4 TPE

If I was the SHL dictator, I would split the league and add relegation because the league is so top heavy.  There are truly dominant teams at the top of each conference, so it can seem like a pipe dream for the bottom teams to fight through to the finals.  I want to make it more interesting for teams in the mushy middle to have something to win for.  Instead of 20 teams and 16 make the playoffs, I would do two 10 team leagues with 3 rounds of playoffs.  In the bottom league, there are 8 teams in the playoffs including the bottom two teams from the top league who come in as the top seeds.  Both teams that make it to the finals are promoted to the top league and enter the playoffs as the bottom two seeds.  The bottom league finals awards the better seed and a fun trophy.  In the top league, 6 teams make the playoffs plus the 2 teams from the bottom league.

What does this do for the league?  First of all, there is the opportunity for teams to make a cinderella run through both sets of playoffs.  Second, you create two playoff groups that are more balanced while not cheapening the glory of winning the top league.  The regular season becomes more important because there is risk of relegation and because fewer teams make the playoff cut.  It also becomes more exciting because you are racing against teams that are closer in skill to your own.  I'm not quite sure how to handle the draft.  I would think the lower league drafts first because they need more talent, but then that might be a bad experience for draftees who could get stuck in the bottom league after excelling in the junior league.

[Image: scrufdaddy2.gif]
credit to Flappy, ToeDragon, and Carpy

Steelhawks Patriotes Stars Panthers Platoon Specters Platoon Panthers Specters Aurora Jets Usa Scarecrows

[Image: Tqabyfh.png][Image: UDyqktK.png][Image: 1DL5JDX.png]
(This post was last modified: 09-30-2024, 12:55 AM by damienj10. Edited 2 times in total.)

Los Angeles comes to finals after two seven game seriesses while Tampa Bay has only lost one game after the first round and they have 3 less games during the playoffs. Do you think Tampa Bay gets meaningful advantage from seemingly easier path to the finals as they come in more rested? Or is there no stopping the train of the Los Angeles after they fought their way through teams that finished second and third during regular season? How do you think the path to the finals will impact the series and does it change who you favor?

I think that Tampa bay does not get a meaningful advantage at all. At the end of the day both teams will want that cup so I feel as for they will not have an advantage or disadvantage. The winner of the series will be based on skill and heart and a little bit of luck. Every routes the same no matter how early they got there. The finals is the best place to be and both teams deserve it. Best of luck both to both teams and I hope the winner sends me a post card of the cup in Africa or something. If not I will have to win the cup myself and do it.

116 words

Team Russia got replaced by Quebec, which for sure got people talking about the IIHF. What other nations/regions would you like to see get their own team? Would you think they should replace current teams and if so which ones would you seek to replace? And most importantly, why you think that teams you picked would be more interesting or improve the IIHF in general?

Well as my ancestors were Russian at one point it’s a farewell bid to the team Russia of the past. Team Quebec though that’s pretty cool. I don’t think they should remove any of the other teams but expand. There’s a couple of places I feel like need teams for example team Kenya just got accepted in real life maybe could be an African team just for a general idea for a future team possibly. Maybe team Alaska or team Antarctica. They are kind of in the boonies it changes things but I’m sure the SHL would make it work! I mean I am on team Japan myself and I fee like we do very well I’m sure the other teams will and are going to do fantastic.

110 words

1. popcorn

6. Mary Hollywood's first season in the Actual Real Life SHL was pretty dope and cool. For a good part of the year, our dear friend Mar Bear was a point per game player. That's pretty good in my humble opinion, especially when one takes into consideration the fact that the TPE available available to ol' Mary wasn't necessarily one of the premier TPE numbers among players in her draft class. One is left only to hypothesize that the extremely one-dimensional nature of her game was helpful in this circumstance. She finished the campaign with 21 goals and 40 assists for a grand total of 61 points in her 66 games played. She did get some time on the power play right away as a rookie, which certainly helps. 7 of those goals came with the man advantage -- exactly half of her five on five total. It's not entirely surprising that her offensive gifts made her a power play weapon out the gate, but this did not come without drawbacks. Mary has always been notorious for Ignoring Defensive Responsibilities, but she could kind of get away with it in the J, especially in her final year or two down there. Not anymore. Mary got put in a blender on defense and posted a truly despicable -40 +/- number. Optimists would call that room for improvement, realists would say that she's never going to be much of a difference maker on her own end of the ice. Oh well.

246 wurdz

10. I was disappointed by New Orleans' season, to be frank. I expected them to have a far better season -- indeed, with seven players topping 50 points and five 25+ goal scorers, I think they were unlucky not to finish higher. It's not as if they were leaking goals left and right, either -- they actually conceded the eighth fewest goals in the league. However, their offensive production beyond that aforementioned seven wasn't particularly explosive, and their power play was sub-20%. It wasn't far below 20% (it's actually exactly at 19%), but it was not a huge advantage for them. Combine that with a penalty kill below 80% (again, not far below, only half a percentage point for a 79.5% result!) and you're not getting a ton of game-breaking plays from your special teams units. None of these issues will kill a team on their own. If they were blowing people out of the water on the power play, you'd look the other way at the penalty kill number, and vice versa. If their goaltending was the best in the league, you wouldn't seek out more scoring from their depth forwards and their defense. This seems to my untrained eye like a death by a thousand cuts type situation.

207 wurdz

Elk  Rage
[Image: cLeHjn1.png]
Sig by sulovilen!
[Image: 6eVg1pG.png]
[Image: 8E70VfU.png]

Code:

Verification word: thanks kal

1. Trivia - codeword: beep

“I thought I was a goalie, but STA told me forget being a goalie they make nothing, and no one cares about them.  Guess what I was a center all along and I had no idea. Now I am the toast of the town, and I am getting offers from all the GMs and Scouts.”

– Spidey Talent Agency, on Activity Check

Verification word: penny 3 TPE

11. Written, 50 to 200+ words. Give Me More
When things stay the same for too long there is risk of them becoming stale, so to ensure that doesn’t happen we need to add something or to something and as you were just elected as dictator of SHL you get to make the pick. Are we going to have more games? Maybe add few teams or 4th lines to current ones? Could even add more stats to spend our TPE by not standardazing the mental stats? What or to what would you add and why?

If I were to become SHL supreme leader, I would make TPE a cryptocurrency and add SaltyBet style gambling on matches. There's a lot of upside to this (in the vaguest sense that things will be increasing): more corruption in the league office, for starters. Everybody loves that, so I'll move onto the next point. People would be more involved with the games on average, and perhaps could serve as effigy for real sports people - instead of writing death threats to real life athletes for not scoring they can write them to fake athletes! Yippee! 95 words 1 TPE

13. Written, 50 to 200+ words. Out With The Old, In With The New

Personally I think that if *Quebec* gets its own team to replace *Russia*, to hell with trying to field any semblance of "realistic hockey country or region" nation set in the IIHF from now on. Lemme see some wild shit. I'm contributing to this problem by having Abdi be from same ol', same ol' Canada but give me some Central Asia. Give me some Africa. Give me some China. Some *real* wacky shit. I think having them replace current teams would probably feel pretty bad for existing players so don't do that, but perhaps some kind of mandate for new players to be from new countries. Would be a cool starter for interesting player characters but perhaps the anti woke crowd would bitch. I dunno. Referendum maybe. I think I already made a pretty good case for why it would be interesting but I think it would also add some really fun "worldbuilding" so to speak about the world *surrounding* the SHL and associated hockey leagues. What kind of weird alternate planet has such a thriving and diverse international hockey market? It's just enough to get the mind going. Imagine the possibilities! I could keep going but to make a long story short: keep sim leagues weird. 207 words 4 TPE

Code:

Reap

[Image: TqPg1ou.gif]

Written Option 2: (178 words.)

SFP certainly holds a terrifying offensive as of current season, holding an impressive average of about 1800tpe and several lines with available candidates capable of keeping up with the team's gameplan on an extremely competent level. While it is true that Panthers has accrued three more games under their belt, unlike Barracuda, their net points are far more spread out, making up for the fact of their remarkably large points total. That said, one cannot emphasize enough the impact 3 whole games can have on a candidates scoring potential. While it's true that a series of one-sided matchups can always lead to a player's stats skyrocketing, with Tampa Bay's current holds, in spite of their outstanding performance for the season, a singular candidate for the Derek Martin. It is not beyond reason for us to believe Max Carnage could potentially outscore any of his fellow runner-ups for the trophy, but it's also far more likely to believe any of the potential competition could make a stand and contest for the prize.

Written Option 3: (125 words.)

I'd argue the latter option remains the most likely. There's plenty of factors involved when analyzing the effectiveness of a line, from synergy to relationships to fatigue resulting from back-to-back games. Regardless I feel hard-pressed to argue that I find Panthers defense considerably more solid next to Tampa Bay's, and while it's true that they both share having a weaker side, I'm fairly convinced that Los Angeles astonishing offensive capabilities and throughout its many lines will not have major difficulties when facing Bay's defencemen. Now, whether that means that Panthers will remain victorious at the end of the day one can only wonder, yet if I was to be asked, my coins would be on Panthers.

Trivia Verification Word: Cheese Burger
(This post was last modified: 09-30-2024, 01:35 AM by Katth. Edited 3 times in total.)

1. Trivia - 3 tpe
Katth

6. 3 tpe
My season was not great but not terrible either. As a team we had an amazing season, but personally you can see my player is getting older and can not keep up with the young guns anymore. Not that it is a bad thing, the team also needs veterans and leadership and that is where I come in. I help the young guys deal with the stress and pressure of being on a top team. Max Carnage was and Johny Wagner Svenson have been amazing all season long and I have been helping them get better at the game on and off the ice. I have been doing media interviews so they could skip them and focus on recovering from the game and prepare for the next one. It is not all about scoring points, but have to work as a team and looking back at that I have had an amazing seasons too.

9. - 2 tpe
I think Tampa Bay has the best cards to end their drought even after the lost final against Los Angeles Panthers. They will keep the band together for next season and will only get better and better. I remember playing in the season 50 final with Calgary against Tampa Bay and we reversed swept them. They were close then and we will be close again next season. We just have to focus on what we are doing and we can get there again and finish it off. Nobody will stop us next season and we will win a cup once again with Tampa Bay.

[Image: Katth.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]
Barracuda Germany Scarecrows Knights

[Image: cgv4vCv.png] [Image: 95lCCDx.png] [Image: GATPRRX.png]
S50 Challenge Cup Finals Game 7
[Image: gNFVjT6.png]

Gm pass

Foil Up Boys