Create Account

S50 WJC: Welcome to Finland
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2019, 04:33 AM by puolivalmiste.)

[Image: o4sK06G.png]
Welcome to Finland

We here at Finland are honored to host Season 50 WJC. We take teams and fans to center of Finnish hockey history which show how much sport and players have evolved during these past 50 seasons. While arenas and events might give us look to the past, on ice we have top talents of the future who are at verge of taking next steps towards SHL stardom.

On this article you will find summary of what you need to know while visiting our beautiful country during Season 50 WJC .

From there you can find everything WJC related from latest results to top scorers

New and shiny WJC Discord

Helps you to stay in touch with teammates and opponents

Media Center

Host Cities

Helsinki
[Image: Q27QLnv.jpg]

Capital and most populous city of Finland, one of world most northern capitals that is Finlands most important center for politics, education, finance, culture, and research. It is located on shore of Gulf of Finland close to halfway point between Stockholm, Sweden and Saint Petersburg, Russia, influence from both western and eastern cultures are mixed and on dispaly at Helsinki.

Easily accessible by plane to Helsinki-Vantaa International airport or by sea to its multiple ports. Multiple hotels around city and venue close to city center offer both players and fans easy access to all that Helsinki has to show.

Tampere

[Image: I8yj7gk.jpg]

Most populous inland city of nordic countries, about 100 miles north of Helsinki. Tampere is wedged between to lakes and the rapids between them has been important powersource which made Tampere center of Finnish industry in past with old factory building still on display around city center.

Accessible by plane to close by Pirkkala airport or by trains, busses or cars  from Helsinki. Tampere does have its fair share of attractions and hotels to keep guests busy.

Main venue

Helsingin Jäähalli, built in 1966, larger renovation done in 1999, been used by Helsingfors Bollklubb (HBK), one of oldest Finnish Mestaruussarja teams, since it was built. History of the team goes back to 1890s and arena is full of memorabilia, even from some of players that later made it into SHL. There is also separate underground rink for training.

For WJC it will be used for round robin games for Group B and for playoffs. Capacity of 8200 should be enough for needs of WJC that are played at Europe, while ensuring there wont be too many empty seats even for games with lower attendance.

[Image: gKdGEqv.jpg]

”Well, I have always been HBK-guy or it would be more fitting to say that we have been, as it is something that my father and to some extend his father have dedicated most of their lives. So naturally when I got called up from juniors to play for them it was honor I could not refuse. For a moment I was considering joining SMJHL but when you have opportunity like this you follow your hearth.

So now that I have opportynity to play for Finnish WJC team at arena that has felt like my home for years it is like dream come true, I have never been this proud to show world what finnish hockey and HBK have to offer.”

-Huume Koira, one of HBK's young stars.

Secondary venue

Tampereen Jäähalli, more commonly known as Hakametsän Jäähalli, built in 1965 to be used as stage for first IIHF World Championships hosted by Finland. Currently used by Mestaruussarja team Tampereen Kirves that has most championships with over 30 championship banner on display at roof of arena with multiple retired number. It is an arena full of tradition and history at display. There have been multiple renovations to keep up with what a modern audience needs, latest one completed in 2014. Also has 2 indoor training rinks at separate building.

Used for round robin games for Group A. Capacity of 7300 should also be suitable for round robin games and close distance to Helsinki helps with transportation and should make moving from Tampere to Helsinki for playoffs as smooth as possible.

[Image: HnTRChm.jpg]

"Well as one of players who won multiple championships on this arena I think it is great that international games are once again hosted at Tampere so we can show to world our beautiful city and they get to see that being traditional team does not have to mean being unsuccsesful one. I have been coaching Herwood Hockey Club for few years now and know some of these young finnish players either from my team or as from times we have met them during Kummola Cup playoffs and I have to say I'm very exited to see how well they do on on international stage."

-Raimo Jutila, #47, one of most successful Kirves players ever.

Events

Outdoor showmatch will be played during rest day between round robin and playoffs, a rematch from S40 WJC playoffs, Scandinavia vs. Germany/Austria, icluding some notable SHL players like GOD McZehrl, Mikhail Lokitonov, Manuel Gotze, Anders Christiansen and Ensio Kalju.

[Image: NwDZYbv.jpg]

And it is not going to be some huge stadion where people can barely see the players. We are taking it back to where hockey is supposed to be played with crowd watching close by from steep stands that offer unique  experince. Game will be played at Sorsapuisto, Tampere where arena as shown in picture is built for Mestaruussarja event, where Kirves will play HBK and Rauman Jätkät just before WJC.

Also local malls at both cities offer some space for any team that wants to have meet and greet with their fans.

(1063 words)

[Image: puolivalmiste2.gif]
Sigs by @Carpy48, @Nokazoa and me