Create Account

(Graded) Deep Dive #2 Zerkers
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2021, 06:01 PM by Leppish.)

As one of the newest addition to the esteemed Newfoundland Berserker roster, I felt it was my duty to go in-depth about my team, specifically what aspects of our roster have propelled the team into elite SMJHL consideration. While the Zerkers drafted more rookies than any other team (nine), they also had a strong veteran group to integrate the rookies into. Led by Captain Vaseline Podkolzin, the Zerkers have players at or near the top of pretty much every important statistical category. I will start by doing an in depth analysis of who represents Newfoundland at the top of each important statistical category (as defined by me).

Offence:
Ric Charlesworth and Bas O'Bigbers are currently in the top 5 for goals scored, and showing no signs of letting up on their torrid pace. Jesse Trudeau has demonstrated a penchant for clutch goals and joins captain Vaseline Podkolzin in the top 20 of goals scored. Rookie Aleksandrs Balcers is the top-scoring defencemen, and factors into the top 25 in the league! This is a team that has no problem putting the puck in the net, and has a handful of guys who make it look easy. Only teams like Quebec City and Kelowna are able to match Newfoundland with 5 players in the top 25 of the league, a veritable whose who of the top of the league standings. Success in this league is predicated on elite talent, as well as scoring depth, which these teams have in spades. 

Matty Sandeen joins Ric Charlesworth and Bas O'Bigbers at the top of the assists chart, demonstrating once again that offence can come from the backline as well as the forwards. Podkolzin and Trudeau round out the Zerk representation in the top 25 for assists. Ric Charlesworth and Bas O'Bigbers are #1 and 2 in the scoring race, in a style reminiscent of Crosby and Malkin, or more recently Draisaitl and McDavid. Two powerhouses offensively, which provide a nightmare for opposing goalies. Once again, Trudeau, Podkolzen and Sandeen are in the top 25 in the league. 

Defence:

It can be tough to quantify defensive stats into their value towards a team's performance. Often people will look towards shots blocked or hits as a proxy for effective defence. I tend to be skeptical of this position, but for the sake of argument, let's see how the Zerks stack up. In Shots blocked, Bud Weiser is the only player to crack the top 25 with a bruising 43 blocked shots. Meanwhile, rookie Pasta the Turtle, Dwayne Gretzky, and Vaseline Podkolzen are busy making their presence felt in the hits department. While these stats tell part of the story, I think that the team statistics are far more telling. 
As a team, the Berserkers have allowed only 50 goals (tied with Kelowna for the fewest in the league). When you factor in games played, Newfoundland has allowed the fewest goals against on average in the league, while boasting a top 3 offence by that same metric. While some of the statistical standouts contribute to this statistic, it is surely the defensive system and a team play that contributes to the stifling defence on display every week by Newfoundland.

539 words

Approved! +5 TPE @visceralpotamus

[Image: visceralpotamus.gif]

Berserkers

[Image: 1rdovVs.gif]

[Image: X6NDpNM.png][Image: 6eXcLdf.png]