Create Account

The Players' Tribune - Saying Goodbye with a Cup

The Players' Tribune - Saying Goodbye with a Cup

I'm still in shock.

I honestly can't believe the incredible run we had this season.

I just got back from a walk with the cup in my hometown of Vancouver. It was surreal. Of course, not many people recognize a guy in the juniors on a team from the other side of the country, but those Whalers fans can sure recognize the Four Star Cup when they see it. It hasn't been too long since they were celebrating around here. But now is our time.

I never thought I'd be leading this team to the greatest SMJHL season in history, then capping it off with the Four Star Cup. Forget leading this team, I was shocked to even be on it after my horrible rookie season. Still, wearing that C was a surprise for me every time I stepped onto the ice wearing black and red. I always said it would be wrong if we started this season with Slava [Slavakov Vladimirashenko aka Minnesota] not having that C on his chest. I considered it a privilege to wear it along side such an incredible member of the SHL community, and a lot of days I admit that I questioned that I got to wear it too.

I mentioned my horrible rookie season, but I think it's important to look back on where I came from so that I know how much further I can go in this league.

Part I - The Beginning

I showed up on the scene very late. In fact, I only put in my eligibility for the SMJHL draft the day before it was happening. As you can imagine, there wasn't much interest in a guy who just stepped onto the scene just 24 hours ago, while teams had their rigorous scouting underway well before that. If it wasn't for one of the former captains of the Newfoundland Berserkers, I don't know if I would even be playing in the SMJHL.

I was frantically sending texts to whatever organizations I could find info on. A few hours later, I heard a ping.

> Hey this is Bas O'Bigbers, a scout from the Newfounland Berserkers organization, and I'm reaching out to see what your interest in playing for Newfoundland would be? We're currently in the late stages of our scouting phase but this season has seen an unusually high level of players eligible so we're desperately trying to learn as much about the new players as possible.

It's kinda funny, I received the text I never expected to receive. When I saw the reply, my phone fell through my hands thanks to my shock. I busted my phone, and had to go back onto my computer to reply. Thank god for technology these days. We got to talking back and forth, and while I wasn't expecting from the draft the next day, I had the slightest glimmer of optimism. I decided to book a last minute flight ticket to Anaheim where the draft was being held that season.

The next day, I sat in that stadium watching all of the names being called. As the rounds went on, I expected my name to be called less and less. And then -

> With the 50th selection in this season's SMJHL draft, the Newfoundland Berserkers select Shion Okamoto.

There was no fanfare whatsoever, we were almost at the end of the draft, and I had travelled alone to avoid disappointing my family and friends. But inside I was ecstatic, knowing that I would be playing for a real SMJHL next season. I didn't even know if I would make the team, but at least I would have the opportunity to make it happen.

The beginning of the season was very exciting, as putting on that Berserkers jersey every game felt fresh. Though as time wore on, the pressure due to my lack of performance turned putting that jersey on into more of a loathing feeling instead of an excited feeling, since I knew I would be getting caved in on the ice every game. In fact, I think I was something like -40 or something out there. I was amazed that my coaches kept putting me out there. I guess they were just praying one day I'd be able to develop into a decent player. I wouldn't show it anytime soon, but maybe one day.

After a while, I just started to completely disappear. Sure, I would go out and take my reps on the ice, play my 15 minutes a game. But outside of the ice, you could be sure that I was nowhere to be found. I don't really want to talk about it much, but even with the SHL draft looming, I really just did not have it in me to be seen off the ice.

The season ended for me with little celebration. Then came the SHL draft. This time, I wasn't in attendance. I had no reason to, what had I really showed for a team to select me. Still, I kept close by my phone just in case someone wanted to let me know if I had been drafted.

A few hours went by after the draft started, and by then, I just shut my phone completely off. I went for a long drive, and found myself in a completely different part of the province after driving through the mountains. When I turned my phone back on, I saw a message from Sopath...

> Sopath: So did you get drafted?
> Me: Nope. Kind of expected it though.
> Sopath: This could actually work out in your favor.
> Me: We'll see.

Part II - The Middle

I took the summer off from the team, and decided to work out. I hadn't updated my team at all on my progress throughout my training. Once I gave them the update, they were happy to give me a shot again. However, I knew I still had to prove my worth to them, after being one of the only players to go undrafted in the SHL. In fact, I had to prove my worth to the entire league.

I would say the middle of my sophomore season is where I really started to hit my stride on the ice. I  was still very unreknowned thanks to having one of the worst rookie seasons in the league the season before. But within Newfoundland and the Berserkers, I felt like I had finally found my home in the SHL. A great group of people who would stop at nothing in pursuit of the Four Star Cup.

At the midway point of the season, I was shocked to be selected to the all-star team. Maybe some of the fans had finally started to recognize that I was an okay defenseman. I still did not really have any name recognition around the league though, and I knew this as the season ended and we headed into another SHL draft. I got a text from one of the guys who's big in NL and currently plays for Chicago, we all know him as JNH.

> JNH: I know you're coming back around for another trip through the draft. Have you heard from any teams so far?
> Me: None so far. I guess we'll see what happens.
> JNH: You've had a solid bounce back season. I wouldn't mind you flying under the radar until the draft.
> Me: For sure. Guess we'll find out soon.

I followed the same draft routine as the prior season. Not there, but phone on.

I got a text from one of my teammates at the draft:

> Yo, you just got taken by Chicago. 42nd. Congrats man!!

My heart was about to leap out of my chest. I had finally found a place in this league. I couldn't have chosen a better team myself either, with so many familiar faces, I knew I would always be comfortable in the SHL. I could really see myself spending my whole career there, despite having never played a game there yet, and not even knowing if I would become good enough to play on the team.

Part III - The Middle, Part II

Third season of my SMJHL career. Everything only looked up from here.

The season started off on a high note for me. My teammates selected me as an assistant captain. Never would I have dreamed of being one of the Ass Caps, especially being part of the leadership with one of the best captains in Berserkers history - Sopath aka our guy Bas O'Bigbers.

I was happy to have another solid campaign on the ice. However, we couldn't get it done in the playoffs. We knew going into the draft, we still had our strong core group of players that would only be getting better next season. Onwards and upwards.

Part IV - The Greatest of All Time

As we started off my third season with a leadership change, we did the same with my final season in the SMJHL. Being captain alongside one of the greatest guys in the league Sota was a true privilege.

All of us on the Berserkers knew we were stacked before the season started. I don't think anyone could have imagined that we'd be this incredibly stacked though. The greatest season of all time (well, at least the greatest season in FHM history)! 56 wins, 7 losses, and 3 OT losses. 115 points. 0.871 points percentage. Incredible. But it meant nothing without us getting our names engraved on that Four Star Cup, and that's exactly what we did. We didn't let a single team take us to the brink of elimination. One of the best runs I could have ever hoped for.

I don't need to talk much more about our amazing season. I will just say that after this beautiful run with these guys, I'll sure miss being on the team but I'll always be around.

Part V: Being Thankful

I would like to avoid this part being cheesy as hell and dumb, so I'll keep it very short hopefully, but I've gotta do it after playing my last game for this great team.

Nhamlet and Juke - Thank you for assembling one of the greatest teams in history, as well as for assembling the greatest locker room and group of people that I've seen in any sim league. I've been part of old sim leagues for over 10 years, and this is by far the most fun that I've ever had. Appreciate you guys!

Minnesota, Pasta, Evil All Bran - It was great to be part of the "leadership team" with you guys. Our daily !soaps will be missed.

JNH and Corey - Thanks for believing in me not being a completely shit player and welcoming me in Chicago, and for being a great part of the locker room in NL.

To all the NL advisors, HO people in the LR, and GMs in the LR - Thank you so much for your help whenever I had questions about getting involved in the league, applying for things, and just general support. Having this amount of expertise in the locker room is amazing, and has definitely cultivated some great additions to the SHL community.

To all of my teammates and just alumni and whoever who hang out in the NL locker room - Thank you for being a great group of guys to talk to everyday. You guys are always a nice bright spot and a welcome distraction from work on my second monitor :kek:

And last but not least, I have to thank Sopath. I know that I've said it a million times, but I don't even know if I would be involved in this league at all without him scouting me, and keeping up with me.  Definitely one of the best teammates, one of the best locker room presences you can ever dream of having. And one of the biggest supporters ever.

If I forgot anyone, please forgive me, I am an idiot Smile

Part VI: The SHL

I can't wait to see what my future holds in Chicago. As Natasha Bedingfield so beautifully sings: the rest is still unwritten.

Berserkers Berserkers Berserkers 

Code:
2033 words

[Image: A12A5Km.png]

Berserkers

[Image: visceralpotamus.gif]

You beautiful bastard, I'm gonna cry

[Image: 1rdovVs.gif]

[Image: X6NDpNM.png][Image: 6eXcLdf.png]

love ya Twix you're a great zerk

[Image: Cracker_Pizza_sig.png?ex=6516546d&is=651...bb4003576&]
[Image: pride23gif.gif]

congratulations lmao

Argonauts Stars Battleborn Czechia

It was the perfect ending to an awesome SMJHL career looking forward to being teammates again in Chicago! syndicate Berserkers

[Image: apSD6uj.gif]
[Image: leafsftw1967.gif] 

Malamutes  Stars Malamutes  Stars

i cry now as well Cry

baby zerks all grown up

[Image: beegbeegyoshi.gif]
[Image: B7bDIPG.png]
[Image: YOSHI.png?ex=65f214ee&is=65df9fee&hm=80f...e73badf86&]

god i love twix media

[Image: NCQjJT2.png]
Berserkers     -       syndicate      -     Berserkers

Berserkers
Love ya Twix buddy, go kill it in Chicago!

[Image: OX6Yrrn.png]

[Image: hPSkjwC.jpg]
Thank you @xjoverax and @phoenix for the sigs!