Create Account

From Lethbridge Lions to Newfoundland Berserkers - a 10th anniversary story

It's history time!

Once upon a time there was a team in the SMJHL called the Lethbridge Lions Lions. They were an expansion team entering the league in S45 together with the Anaheim Outlaws. Both existed previously in the league very early on, but made their return as new franchises now. After several ups and downs and minor management drama they eventually fell into the hands of a new GM duo a few seasons later that we all know well.

[Image: oOzYfcY.png]

Fast forward to October 2019. A small group of four people, the two aforementioned GMs a.k.a. @JNH & @SDCore and the advisory group consisting of former Lions players @Carpy48 & @KlusteR, came together to discuss a potential new logo - an idea that had come up many times within team discussions since the very early seasons of the Lethbridge franchise. However, nothing ever happened after this. After lots of discussions and ideas (and this picture - that wasn't chosen after all) neither of us were really happy with the team branding. A new logo wouldn't do it; something bigger had to happen.

By November it was clear: we had to move the team and give it a new brand; a facelift. Not a simple task, but still necessary. We decided the team should stay in Canada, but we wanted to have something unique. Move the team somewhere far away from everything. To a new location that had never had a team before.
Eventually we agreed that Newfoundland was the perfect place. After doing some research about the history of the region and the fact that vikings had a settlement in Newfoundland about a thousand years ago, the name Berserkers was dropped for the first time and everyone seemed to like it. However, it took a bit of time and effort to talk JNH out of naming the team Newfoundland Screechers (another early favorite was Ocelots). By early December the name was there, but still no logo/branding. After more back and forth and a first concept idea that we weren't 100% happy with, we finally got @Julio Tokolosh on board in January 2020 who designed both our amazing primary and secondary logo that were used to make the jersey designs (see all below) by mid-January.
[Image: Berserkers_logo_1.png]
Primary Logo

[Image: Berserkers_icon_1.png]
Secondary Logo

[Image: VLqs4sX.png]
Home Jerseys

Finally it was time to write our proposal to HO to ask to relocate the team. And this is how we eventually - after a good 3 1/2 months - got to this announcement post. Just in time for the S52 SMJHL entry draft.

The rest is history. 
Berserkers

However, I felt like we needed an occasion to bring back Lethbridge for a moment and celebrate the origins that a lot of the members that entered the league after S53 don't know anymore. About a year ago, when we were approaching the 5th anniversary of the Newfoundland Berserkers, I first had the idea to create some kind of throwback jersey. If you want to see my original Lethbridge jersey designs, click here. Well, as you can see now that didn't happen and then it was too late, so I postponed the whole project to the 10th anniversary and started extra early this time. Luckily @Hoovuh agreed to help out with the graphic work and we didn't only create a throwback jersey, we got a super creative hybrid Lion-Berserker logo and an extra 10th anniversary logo on top.

"I figured that why not go for the most obvious choice and replace the wolf pelt with a lion pelt. Kinda symbolic as well with having the past logo being dead and your current one wearing it" 
...to quote Hoovuh directly since I couldn't describe it any better.

[Image: QWDQz4B.jpeg]
Newfoundland Berserkers 10th anniversary "Lethbridge throwback" jerseys and logos

In the past ten seasons, Newfoundland has achieved some incredible things, becoming famous and infamous for everything from goal horns, to on-ice success and locker room activity. Along with the new brand, the Berserkers have taken massive steps in solidifying their history in the SMJHL. What they might do in another 10ten is exciting to think about. I know I'm proud to be part of the alumni and advisory group of this team.

Thanks to @Nhamlet for proofreading and providing feedback along the way and to everyone else involved.

-Carpy48 Lions (S46-S48)

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]
[Image: AfpXX8l.png]

An amazing org with great people at every level. Couldn't have asked for a better SHL experience since joining in S52.

[Image: 1rdovVs.gif]

[Image: X6NDpNM.png][Image: 6eXcLdf.png]

Berserkers

[Image: visceralpotamus.gif]

I love it Carpy that's amazing

[Image: OX6Yrrn.png]

[Image: hPSkjwC.jpg]
Thank you @xjoverax and @phoenix for the sigs!

11-04-2021, 12:20 PMNhamlet Wrote: An amazing org with great people at every level. Couldn't have asked for a better SHL experience since joining in S52.

And Corey

[Image: Chocula22.gif]
Berserkers Wolfpack France

11-04-2021, 12:26 PMCount Chocula Wrote:
11-04-2021, 12:20 PMNhamlet Wrote: An amazing org with great people at every level. Couldn't have asked for a better SHL experience since joining in S52.

And Corey

Aren't we supposed to tell Corey to shut it

[Image: S38oOt3.png][Image: of1yZSs.png]
[Image: JzmdDrE.png]

Great bit of history!

Also boooo Corey

[S78] #14 C | Jon Garfield
[SMJHL] Regina Elk

[S58] #72 LD | Shion Okamoto
[SMJHL] Newfoundland Berserkers | Former Captain | S60, S62 Four Star Cup
[SHL]   Chicago Syndicate | S64 Challenge Cup
[IIHF]  Team Japan | S60 Gold

Berserkers

[Image: Wally.png]

.-.

[Image: x17WALp.png]||[Image: uNh8ZtE.png]
[Image: luff.png][Image: luff2.png][Image: luff.png]

Absolutely amazing logo and jersey.

[Image: 8E70VfU.png]

[Image: canadice.gif]
Thanks to @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @Carpy48 and @High Stick King, for the signatures

[Image: jZtKPwK.png] | [Image: RyzkmSj.png] | [Image: HKi05IH.png]

[Image: EzY5jpl.png]

sexy

[Image: Rn4Vt1E.png]

Heat

[Image: arTbD7O.png]

Germany Berserkers Stampede Stars Barracuda syndicate

Gotta say! Love it!

[Image: 57771_s.gif]

[Image: U66t7Jy.png][Image: CXrxOKM.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png][Image: zyyvIFD.png]

[Image: lUeg4KM.png]

As an ex-Lion, that is now playing for the Berserkers, I looooove everything about this! Thank you for the quick history lesson Carpy <3

[Image: KlusteR.gif]

Chiefs Monarchs Lions Berserkers Switzerland Blizzard pride Panthers Grizzlies

[Image: EePsAwN.png]    [Image: e0LuHwa.png]    [Image: eaex9S1.png]

Special thanks to @Carpy48, @Chevy, @Turd Ferguson, @fever95 and @enigmatic for the signatures!

Happy to have been apart of this and collaborating with the NLB for this project!

[Image: ZLoVQGU.png]
[Image: M02LOrx.png]

- Profile Page - Update Page -