Create Account

Changes to SMJHL PTs

Hey everyone,

For S67, the SMJHL PT Team will be making a few changes to how the PT experience for rookies is run. After examining the current state of the PTs, I proposed some changes and I'd like to thank @ACapitalChicago for working with me for the past 2 months on this!

Combined PT Claims 

As most of you may have seen, the announcement by leviadan here will also apply to the SMJHL next season. You can read more about it there, but to quickly summarize, we will be posting all weekly claims in one post hopefully by every Wednesday. This should streamline the updating process for all users, less clicks, less claims needed and it makes updating easier. 

A More Balanced PT Schedule

In the past, we have posted SMJHL PTs at an imbalanced rate. Some weeks had 5 PTs posted while others have had only 1. For S67, we've simplified things and have kept it to 2-3 PTs per week. This should give rookies something to do every week while overloading/underloading certain weeks.

Introduction of Hat Trick

Previously, the SMJHL had been using 3on3 as one prediction PT, however when the SHL swapped over we originally decided not to make that change. After exploring other options, we believed Hat Trick would be best as a replacement as it involved more teams compared to 3on3 and provides a more engaging prediction experience. Compared to one prediction in 3on3, Hat Trick will require users to make 3 yes/no guesses based on 3 questions.

New oPT and removal of Post TDL Preds

To help with the implementation of a more balanced PT schedule, a brand new PT, the oPT, or offseason PT, will be introduced in Week 8 of the season. The oPT will most likely be a 100 word/graphic, 2 TPE task. To compensate for the extra TPE that will come with this task, the Week 5 Post TDL prediction PT will be removed. Overall, we found that the Post TDL Prediction PT was a bit bland and uninteresting, in addition to there being plenty of prediction related PTs in the season already. The oPT will give something for rookies to do and also assist in filling the Week 8 gap, where no PTs are available except for WJC Predictions. 

And now the big one:

Changes to Championship Week

Championship Week has been an integral part of the SHL for a long time, however, some users have described it as tedious at times, so after discussion with ACap and J HO, we are introducing 2 changes for one season. We will gather feedback afterwards, and if things go well, we'll move forward with them. If not, CW will be reverted back to its old state.

Removal of Word Counts from Prompts

This first change is pretty simple, as we are removing word count limits from all prompts. Some users have brought up that having a 100 word minimum for Task 7 but a 150 word minimum for Task 9 was pretty arbitrary, and I'd have to agree. Now, this hopefully gives users more flexibility in which prompts they do. Want to write 500 words on why your team wants to give out bobbleheads instead of towels for fan appreciation night? Go ahead, and now there will be more incentive too. TPE will still be earned at the same rate, 50 words/1 TPE, 100 words/2 TPE, 150 words/3 TPE, etc, so if you are super eager about 1 prompt, 800 words for that topic will finish the entirety of CW for you. 

Extension of Championship Week

The second change will involve extending when CW is posted. Instead of it being posted in finals week, it will be posted all the way back to when the playoffs start, giving about 2 more weeks for users for finish it. Like with the first change, giving more time for users to complete tasks for 16 TPE hopefully allows for more flexibility and enjoyment while doing tasks, and not a rush or hurry to complete it. Along with this, prompts will be more open ended, to accommodate for there being more teams still in the hunt for the 4 Star Cup.

Although a very small group of SHL users actually do SMJHL PTs in a season, we hope that these changes can add up to a better, more enjoyable and pleasant SMJHL PT experience for rookies, recreates and first gens alike. I'm super excited to implement these changes for next season, and always, if you have any feedback, questions or concerns, please do let me know!

[Image: jay2233.gif]
Thanks to @Ragnar, @High Stick King and @Maxy for the sigs!

Raptors Argonauts 
[Image: m59RPb7.png][Image: FcWmVTl.png]

[Image: Screen_Shot_2020-07-24_at_11.33.38_AM.jpg]

[Image: Jammin.gif]
[Image: wiqZK8C.png]
[Image: zS2lCMp.png] [Image: ixmZA3M.png] [Image: pxjucze.png] [Image: sXDU6JX.png] [Image: IhVx0wj.png]

Thank you @High Stick King @OrbitingDeath @Ragnar @Tesla for the player signatures! 

This is awesome! Great to see you hitting the ground running and making changes to make people’s lives easier!

[Image: gunnarsoderberg.gif]

[Image: nbb.png]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
. : [Image: zS2lCMp.png] : .

Just wanna thank Jay again for their transparency and communication through these changes! Been fantastic since the start and excited to see how this goes!

[Image: 59269_s.png]

S66 Damian Littleton

[Image: CsnVET2.png] || [Image: wu5MVvy.png]|| [Image: c8B2LE3.png]
Battleborn | Barracuda | Usa

I'll miss seeing finals matchup-specific prompts, but overall I love these changes.

[Image: RAmenAmen.gif]
sig credit: Ragnar, Sulovilen, Enigmatic, Bayley
[Image: kcP9WEd.png] [Image: DNLeeu0.png] [Image: DKMMlC3.png]
[Image: RAmenAmenPride.gif]

Cheers

Character Page RD- Quarterback
[Image: micool132.gif]

Retired players:
-Toki Wartooth
-Nathan Explosion btw
-Angus McFife XVIII

[Image: lUeg4KM.png]

100% with all of this!

Hopefully the feedback will be good and we can do the same thing in the SHL.

[Image: SyiOY8U.png]
[Image: un22.png] [Image: 5tu6.png]

09-04-2022, 06:47 PMRAmenAmen Wrote: I'll miss seeing finals matchup-specific prompts, but overall I love these changes.

I had something typed up and deleted it smh my head. But I think we can look into seeing about adding finals based prompts once the teams are decided

S66 Damian Littleton

09-04-2022, 08:16 PMACapitalChicago Wrote:
09-04-2022, 06:47 PMRAmenAmen Wrote: I'll miss seeing finals matchup-specific prompts, but overall I love these changes.

I had something typed up and deleted it smh my head. But I think we can look into seeing about adding finals based prompts once the teams are decided

I was gonna say this, but I can definitely look at adding prompts afterwards onto the OP if people are more interested in writing about the finals matchup

Raptors Argonauts 

Love the changes!

[Image: 65151_s.gif]

[Image: Tqabyfh.png] [Image: OOcGSpM.png]

09-04-2022, 06:30 PMjay2233 Wrote: TPE will still be earned at the same rate, 50 words/1 TPE, 100 words/2 TPE, 150 words/3 TPE, etc, so if you are super eager about 1 prompt, 800 words for that topic will finish the entirety of CW for you...

...The second change will involve extending when CW is posted. Instead of it being posted in finals week, it will be posted all the way back to when the playoffs start, giving about 2 more weeks for users for finish it.

Just wanted to say these both strike me as very good ideas!

Speaking as a rookie, I was somewhat surprised at the level of grumbling and unrest swirling around my first CW experience. That said, I think these ideas are a very positive step to try and address the current situation. Cheers! Cheers

A proud member of the Season 67 [Image: 4star.png] Four Star Cup champion Maine Timber!!  Timber

[Image: swift.png]

Maine Timber Alternate Captain!  Timber

Thanks to @Merica for the sig!

- - - - - - -

[Image: popcorn.gif] If you Heart hockey  Fan Fiction, (FHM style): Click Here!

I'll find a way to be upset about this

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

I like this!

09-04-2022, 09:11 PMjumpSeat Wrote:
09-04-2022, 06:30 PMjay2233 Wrote: TPE will still be earned at the same rate, 50 words/1 TPE, 100 words/2 TPE, 150 words/3 TPE, etc, so if you are super eager about 1 prompt, 800 words for that topic will finish the entirety of CW for you...

...The second change will involve extending when CW is posted. Instead of it being posted in finals week, it will be posted all the way back to when the playoffs start, giving about 2 more weeks for users for finish it.

Speaking as a rookie, I was somewhat surprised at the level of grumbling and unrest swirling around my first CW experience. That said, I think these ideas are a very positive step to try and address the current situation. Cheers! Cheers

Glad to hear your thoughts! Yeah on the unrest regarding CW, Jay and I discussed it and it seemed like CW lost its shine the longer that time went on that people had to do it. At first it was fun and cool, but eventually it became a bit of a drag the more seasons you completed it. Hopefully this helps it retain that shine a bit longer!

S66 Damian Littleton

09-04-2022, 09:11 PMjumpSeat Wrote:

Yeah, ACap mostly covered it all as CW does get slightly dull the more you do it. These changes aren't meant to solve all the issues, however the hope is giving the user more flexibility in which tasks they want to do and more time to do them makes for a better experience

Raptors Argonauts